Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Disabled the Campaign AI's ability to enter "Forced March" stance after razing a settlement.

THANK YOU BASED GODS OF CHAOS AND/OR SIGMAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

quote:

AI reinforcing the player in battle will now always attack after arriving on the field, and not defend the area where they entered the battle.
loving finally, god drat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

All units summoned in battle (EG Cygor, Skeletons, Manticore etc) have a new negative ability named Unbinding. This inflicts damage over time to represent their instability. The Unbinding effect scales with the value of the unit.

oof.

quote:

Tweaks to timers that make pulling out of melee more reliable. Units pulling out of combat will now ignore combat for a bit longer before getting dragged back in.

Pretty significant buff to bretonnia. Interesting to see also whether the other changes to chariots are enough to make them good.

quote:

Skarsnik's Pernicious Precision faction trait now applies upkeep reduction bonuses to Goblin-based units.

This is big?

Empire seems nerfed generally.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Gejnor posted:

The funny thing is, the player could do this too, but they wouldn't have much (if any) movement after doing so. The fact the AI could do it and somehow get a bunch more movement than a player doing it was one of the few ways it actually had a movement advantage over the player. Sacking and march stance is a trick the player can do just as effectively as the AI for example, yet people complain about the ai doing that a fair bit.

One trick I found that's particularly funny (and it's one I've never seen the AI use) though is this: If you're playing a faction that has underway stance or something similar (so, the beastpaths) if you siege a city, don't attack it the same turn you started sieging it, then raze it after you do attack it, because you haven't actually moved on that turn, you can enter underway stance or whatever, and move. This is because the requirement for entering Underway and similar stances is pretty much "have you moved at all this turn Y/N" and razing a city doesn't actually move you in and of itself. (Note, this may have been changed since last I played one of those factions)

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 5, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stephen9001 posted:

The funny thing is, the player could do this too, but they wouldn't have much (if any) movement after doing so. The fact the AI could do it and somehow get a bunch more movement than a player doing it was one of the few ways it actually had a movement advantage over the player. Sacking and march stance is a trick the player can do just as effectively as the AI for example, yet people complain about the ai doing that a fair bit.

One trick I found that's particularly funny (and it's one I've never seen the AI use) though is this: If you're playing a faction that has underway stance or something similar (so, the beastpaths) if you siege a city, don't attack it the same turn you started sieging it, then raze it after you do attack it, because you haven't actually moved on that turn, you can enter underway stance or whatever, and move. This is because the requirement for entering Underway and similar stances is pretty much "have you moved at all this turn Y/N" and razing a city doesn't actually move you in and of itself. (Note, this may have been changed since last I played one of those factions)

The Raze + Forced March seems to be buggy as heck for the player, as it can tell you "oh yeah you've got plenty of room if you go into this stance right now!" and then you do, and it just eats up the movement and now you're stuck there in Forced March stance.. and sometimes it just does what it says it will do? :confused:

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 5, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

Empire seems nerfed generally.

Which is good because they're about to be able to heal their troops.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

What are the conditions for an AI performing a siege to actually initiate a siege battle, as opposed to just waiting out until a surrender? Grimgor was camped outside Karak Eight Peaks with a huge army, and I was actually eager to defend against it with the garrison, but he just stayed there for upward of six turns while my dwarven armies razed his home front.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

AI never attack a siege unless the autoresolve is overwhelmingly in their favor, even then they almost never attack cities with strong walls and ~20 unit garrisons, just sitting there waiting for 20 turns of attrition to do their work

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

AI never attack a siege unless the autoresolve is overwhelmingly in their favor, even then they almost never attack cities with strong walls and ~20 unit garrisons, just sitting there waiting for 20 turns of attrition to do their work

In my experience they will almost always eventually attack. They will siege for a number of turns but will eventually try to assault if they think they have some kind of advantage. In my Clan Angrund campaign I was able to do quite well with just the starting settlements against Skarsnik and his Waaghs even with my half an army, having invested in siege holdout time abilities so I wouldn't take attritional casualties, they would siege for a number of times but they did eventually attack and I beat them. Same thing in my first Empire campaign among others where I faced down Archaon,. Sigvald and the Lord of Change with Karl Franz and a full army in Hergig, and they too assaulted (and with three armies they did so almost straight away, just two turns of building siege equipment).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Squigs got absolutely slammed there. Lost vanguard, 12 movespeed, fear and unbreakable.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Gejnor posted:

The game is finally finished, yeah.

FutonForensic posted:

What are the conditions for an AI performing a siege to actually initiate a siege battle, as opposed to just waiting out until a surrender? Grimgor was camped outside Karak Eight Peaks with a huge army, and I was actually eager to defend against it with the garrison, but he just stayed there for upward of six turns while my dwarven armies razed his home front.

My guess is mostly auto-resolve favor, but that's just a guess. I downloaded a siege AI mod that makes the AI more aggressive at the cost of very reduced siege equipment build time. I've gotten a lot more city defense battles a result.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Plan Z posted:

My guess is mostly auto-resolve favor, but that's just a guess. I downloaded a siege AI mod that makes the AI more aggressive at the cost of very reduced siege equipment build time. I've gotten a lot more city defense battles a result.

I can look up the mod on my own later, but would you mind posting a link so I know I got the right one?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd love a mod that let me start with all three legendary lords. Is there such a mod?

I want to win the campaign with empire on hard but I also don't want useless legendary lords on turn 100.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

Squigs got absolutely slammed there. Lost vanguard, 12 movespeed, fear and unbreakable.

Squig hoppers are still good though?

I wonder since Skarsnik and Gobbla work as a unit if it would be possible to create an upgrade skill that adds a bodyguard unit to a lord. So Karl Franz could choose between a mount or fighting on foot with a retinue of greatswords.

Grimgor with a black orc retinue would be scary as gently caress.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I believe a Chinese modder did just that. Not sure if it's still in the workshop but it was an interesting set of mods. You could swap their retinue like you would mounts iirc

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Squig hoppers are still good though?

I wonder since Skarsnik and Gobbla work as a unit if it would be possible to create an upgrade skill that adds a bodyguard unit to a lord. So Karl Franz could choose between a mount or fighting on foot with a retinue of greatswords.

Grimgor with a black orc retinue would be scary as gently caress.

Obligatory WHERE IS KRELL reference. If that actually became a thing with Kemmler, it would legit give him an advantage over Gorst which he sorta desperately seems to need at this point.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

I can look up the mod on my own later, but would you mind posting a link so I know I got the right one?

Here you go:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695531075&searchtext=better+seige+ai

Some more patch stuff I find interesting (not saying if I'm more for or against):

quote:

All melee chariots have been rebalanced to impact harder, melee a bit longer and pull out better.

Most large flying units have an increased projectile hitbox size.

Potion of toughness max health replenishment reduced up to 50%

Autoresolver protects high quality units more, and has a stronger tendency to sacrifice low quality units.

It's now easier to wipe out entire units in battles (manual or autoresolved), as they don't have to suffer as much damage to get wiped out as before.

Removed Potion of Toughness from all heroes.

Added a new unit spawning ability balance system, all spawns are temporary.

To name a few. The bolded one is interesting. I still wish they'd take a look at Net of Amyntok. A spell that only one faction (that's arguably better than any other) has that forces a unit still for a large amount of time is getting frustrating. I see where it fits into the scheme of things, but its hold time is a little ridiculous and gives a large edge for not much investment.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Plan Z posted:

To name a few. The bolded one is interesting. I still wish they'd take a look at Net of Amyntok. A spell that only one faction (that's arguably better than any other) has that forces a unit still for a large amount of time is getting frustrating. I see where it fits into the scheme of things, but its hold time is a little ridiculous and gives a large edge for not much investment.

From the patch notes:
Movement and Freeze Movement ability duration rebalanced.

Assumably that means the Net is also being changed, almost certainly nerfed

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

quote:

Removed Potion of Toughness from all heroes.

and good riddance

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
With summons being temporary, does that mean that they won't be a single use per battle either?

And maybe you can do it with a full army?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Plan Z posted:

Here you go:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695531075&searchtext=better+seige+ai

Some more patch stuff I find interesting (not saying if I'm more for or against):

I assumed this was a hit against the Net:

quote:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fixed a Potion of Healing exploit in custom battle mode that involved using army setups from previous releases.

Holy crap this is how some quick battler I fought some time ago was able to bring healing and toughness potions on his flying Paladins.

EDIT: There's also a note about all pegasi having -100 mass and griffons having -50 mass (making it even harder for dive-bombs and pull-aways for Bretonnian knights when your winged horse can't push away infantry and other ground cavalry) and dwarves in general getting even tougher in melee. My Dawi friends, this is gonna be a golden age, even if it does come with elves and their trees that refuse to be timber for Great Halls.

EDIT 2: And Chariots get buffs on top of all that for better charge killing micro. Yes... yes!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

From the patch notes:

Assumably that means the Net is also being changed, almost certainly nerfed

Missed that one, thanks.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

While I am intrigued at chariot buffs I imagine they will still be turdwagons. Some nice changes though.

quote:

Manticore no longer playing Horse vocalisations when selected in Battle.

#1 how did I miss this #2 why would they remove this

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Good-rear end patch and already babies are loving complaining about how the summoning change ruins their single player experience.

Cull these people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Good-rear end patch and already babies are loving complaining about how the summoning change ruins their single player experience.

Cull these people.

Hey, if this means I can use the Arachnarok queen's spiderlings to gently caress over more than one unit in a fight, I'd be more than happy to have the summoning change.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Cull these people.

Fixed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We don't even know what it entails. It can mean that the summoned units lose 100% of their life during a period of ten minutes, which will have little result in most battle times where you're actually engaging the enemy, and it is mostly a nerf to multiplayer antics where someone summons like three manticores to create an unstopable airforce to harass the other player throughout the match. Hell, even if the effect is "unit dies in one minute" summons remain pretty useful. Maybe not Cygors since they don't really get that many shots off in that time.

I am willing to bet it is more of the first than the second scenario though, but we'll only be sure come Thursday.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

quote:

Disabled the Campaign AI's ability to enter "Forced March" stance after razing a settlement.

gently caress yeah!

e:

Zore posted:

This may be counteracted by this?

quote:

Greenskins' Beast Lairz building now provides bonuses to Squigs.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 6, 2016

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Cull these people.

eh, I'd argue it is a bit of a poo poo change for singleplayer, and could be poo poo in multiplayer depending on how they implement it. If other spells and magic are any indication summons could be neutered into obscurity, but we shall see.

My only real gripe with it so far is, did we really need summoned zombies and skeletons to decay? They're so poo poo compared to Cygor/Manticore/Grave Guard summons as it is.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

An interesting issue with the Cygors specifically is that currently a Bray-Shaman that packs the summon spell but absolutely nothing else costs, what, like a third of the cost of an actual Cygor? I mean yeah there's the opportunity cost of the Winds of Magic you need to spend but it's like, unless you're already running spell heavy why would you ever buy when you can summon?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

My only real gripe with it so far is, did we really need summoned zombies and skeletons to decay? They're so poo poo compared to Cygor/Manticore/Grave Guard summons as it is.
Give them negative decay rates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KazigluBey posted:

An interesting issue with the Cygors specifically is that currently a Bray-Shaman that packs the summon spell but absolutely nothing else costs, what, like a third of the cost of an actual Cygor? I mean yeah there's the opportunity cost of the Winds of Magic you need to spend but it's like, unless you're already running spell heavy why would you ever buy when you can summon?

Part of that is that they give you the ability to summon a Cygor/Manticore in the first place. If summons were limited to low tier units, like the Zombies were at base, having them last forever is no big deal. But Summoning Cygors/Manticores can be such a game changer.

It is going to be kinda poo poo for all the people with Lore of Vampires in the campaign since the most of the summoned units are barely worth it as is, let alone if they're going to decay from the beginning.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Great weapon longbeards get charge defense vs large? Man, now I know what I'm spamming in campaign. That nature them versatile enough to not even bother with hammerers- you get armor piercing, ld bubble, can stop cavalry and monsters in their tracks, and are cheaper plus their upgrades happen earlier.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Summoned skeletons are okay even in campaign. You're usually doing it to hurt leadership more than kills and for that decaying isn't really going to hurt anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skellies are okay, but crypt ghouls/horrors are just rude when you get a chance to summon them for a good rear charge.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

gently caress yeah!

e:

This may be counteracted by this?

Probably not, all Beast Lairz do is give three ranks and a moderate recruiting discount to cavalry in that province. About time it was updated to boost Squigs too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Looks like streamers are getting early Wood Elves unlocks. SurrealBeliefs and Tokshen are streaming co-op in 10 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ifmJ8H1jI

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Avasculous posted:

In addition to what others said, it's been my experience that the force estimator tends to underestimate walls and tends to overestimate Greenskin units. Point being that even if the game is telling you a battle is stacked against you, it's often worth fighting instead of autoresolving, especially if you're defending walls.

I don't know why you guys were complaining about the Clan Angrund campaign on Very Hard. It's super easy if you somehow luck into confederating Karak Norn, kill Snarsnik (who mysteriously doesn't have a single unit), and confederate the Dwarf Empire which includes several settlements and Thorgrim with a Legendary weapon by turn 25 or so.

Both parts of this sound like my current Dwarf campaign. Autoresolve was telling me that a Night Goblin Shaman and two wolf chariots were 100% going to beat my half-beat-up garrison. I played it out and predictably the chariots shot at (and did nothing to) my warriors before they and the shaman got into melee and routed. Next turn they tried the same thing again and I killed them all.

Also I'm playing VH for the first time. I think I'm doing ok, but it's hard to tell since Zhufbar have annihilated the Bloody Spearz, and Barak Varr went from down to one province to conquering half the Badlands. The Greenskins have been in full retreat most of the game, I've not even seen Grimgor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Also I'm playing VH for the first time. I think I'm doing ok, but it's hard to tell since Zhufbar have annihilated the Bloody Spearz, and Barak Varr went from down to one province to conquering half the Badlands. The Greenskins have been in full retreat most of the game, I've not even seen Grimgor.

Yeah thats what happens nine times out of ten for all my games as.. well anything other than me playing dwarf or greenskins. Badlands = Dwarf Town.

• Locked thread