Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are there any good guides/info on how to set up an essentia network?

I've got 1.7.10, Thaumcraft 4, Botania, Witchery, Buildcraft, and a few Thaumcraft addons because I've never really done Thaumcraft and I want to see whats up with it. I'm using a series of tubes with valves but its sort of annoying as there's about 100000000 different types of essentia. Do I really just have to set up a network of jars that big with clever pressure/piping/valves and run around to turn them all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Captain Monkey posted:

Are there any good guides/info on how to set up an essentia network?

I've got 1.7.10, Thaumcraft 4, Botania, Witchery, Buildcraft, and a few Thaumcraft addons because I've never really done Thaumcraft and I want to see whats up with it. I'm using a series of tubes with valves but its sort of annoying as there's about 100000000 different types of essentia. Do I really just have to set up a network of jars that big with clever pressure/piping/valves and run around to turn them all the time?

You're supposed to use Alchemy Golems to handle ferrying essentia from the essentia smeltery to jars. The essentia is then transferred through the air to an infusion altar.

For things like the thaumatorium, you need to use tubes.

If you have Applied Energistics, there's a thaumcraft crossover mod of some kind that lets you store essentia in the AE network.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You're supposed to use Alchemy Golems to handle ferrying essentia from the essentia smeltery to jars. The essentia is then transferred through the air to an infusion altar.

For things like the thaumatorium, you need to use tubes.

If you have Applied Energistics, there's a thaumcraft crossover mod of some kind that lets you store essentia in the AE network.

How do you get the essentia for the silverwood wand, golems, etc.?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Captain Monkey posted:

How do you get the essentia for the silverwood wand, golems, etc.?

The silverwood wand core is an infusion altar recipe. The essentia must be present in a warded jar near the infusion altar. It will be drawn out of the jar and float through the air to the runic matrix in the center of the infusion altar without any action on your part once you've properly started the infusion ritual.

Golems are alchemy recipes. You need to throw items into a crucible containing the proper aspects for the item, then throw in the catalyst item to craft. If you have a thaumatorium (advanced method for crafting alchemy items,) you use pipes from warded jars.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm trying some 1.10.2 modpacks but did Mojang remove the FoV slider in the options menu, or move it somewhere else I can't find? The default FoV is really obnoxiously narrow.
It should be the same place as always.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The silverwood wand core is an infusion altar recipe. The essentia must be present in a warded jar near the infusion altar. It will be drawn out of the jar and float through the air to the runic matrix in the center of the infusion altar without any action on your part once you've properly started the infusion ritual.

Golems are alchemy recipes. You need to throw items into a crucible containing the proper aspects for the item, then throw in the catalyst item to craft. If you have a thaumatorium (advanced method for crafting alchemy items,) you use pipes from warded jars.

Ok, this makes sense. We're doing a lot of Botania stuff and just now getting into Thaumcraft and that was getting confusing.

edit: So I still need like 100 void jars, or a lot of micromanagement right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Captain Monkey posted:

Ok, this makes sense. We're doing a lot of Botania stuff and just now getting into Thaumcraft and that was getting confusing.

Just a bunch of jars.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, it's not quite 100 but it is over 50 different aspects you will have to have bottled somewhere to have full coverage.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I just found a chasm amongst a hosed up lava pool cave system and it had redstone ore at the bottom around where you'd normally find redstone.

Though I sort of stopped playing when I hit a 'What is the point of all of this I'm doing?' wall.

I went for a run, tapping the ground until i found a chunk that had redstone. Dug down to lvl 8, then pretty much mined out the entire chunk around the lava pools.

Finally found the vein at about 17 Y...

Im struggling over the 'ic sucks' wall, but i havent found another pack i like.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taffer posted:

I'm putting up a server to play around on and get a feel for things to figure out how to change things in a good way. Everybody is welcome. It's currently pretty sparse on mods compared to previous Progress versions because a lot of stuff never continued past 1.7.10. More mods will come as they update or as I find new ones.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/progress.12299
discord if you're into that https://discord.gg/xawPyXT

Some terrible enabler sent me a PM to this, so I thought I'd try some minecraft. I got technic and installed the progress pack, but whenever I try to run it, it takes like 5 minutes to load and then just does a crash to desktop before getting to the main menu. I've installed and started games in vanilla and hexxit and both of them work. I'm about to go through the normal trouble shooting stuff, check that java is up to date, delete and reinstall the pack, etc, but has anyone else had this problem already?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Have you tried raising the amount of memory allocated to java in the launcher?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jvie posted:

Have you tried raising the amount of memory allocated to java in the launcher?

Yep, I figured it was something dumb and obvious like that. Thanks!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Figured I'd give Mage Quest a shot after seeing it mentioned in the thread. One of the early quests wants me to kill a Cow. I started in an ocean on a couple of tiny islands. No major landmasses in sight. In an attempt to do things semi-legit, I popped into creative to get a spawn egg. The only cow egg in there was for infested cows.

God dammit, Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RickVoid posted:

Figured I'd give Mage Quest a shot after seeing it mentioned in the thread. One of the early quests wants me to kill a Cow. I started in an ocean on a couple of tiny islands. No major landmasses in sight. In an attempt to do things semi-legit, I popped into creative to get a spawn egg. The only cow egg in there was for infested cows.

God dammit, Minecraft.
Most packs will for whatever reason hide spawn eggs in NEI, but if you switch temporarily to creative mode you can get the normal spawn eggs (including cows) from the menus there, or just use the creative menu search for it instead of NEI.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Most packs will for whatever reason hide spawn eggs in NEI, but if you switch temporarily to creative mode you can get the normal spawn eggs (including cows) from the menus there, or just use the creative menu search for it instead of NEI.

Yeah, figured that out. Had to do the same thing for a witch to kill.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Captain Monkey posted:

They don't have to be void jars, if you've got essentia you don't want you can right click a jar to empty it. Void jars are just if you have a system smelting stuff automatically and you don't want overproduction of one type of essentia to gum up the works.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, figured that out. Had to do the same thing for a witch to kill.

I would've rerolled the map immediately upon seeing it was an island start. Those are not good.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Have any good adventure mods been made for 1.10? I like to build awesome poo poo but sometimes I want to build a base and then hunt down cool bosses and monsters or something. I know monster fighting stuff have never been a strongpoint in minecraft but I want to do something other than build the perfect "infinite" resource setup for the sake of it. Like, I remember a long, long time ago there was a surge in mods like that (kings quest?, TF, Aether, etc) but there doesn't seem to be anything thats still supported.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Xun posted:

Have any good adventure mods been made for 1.10? I like to build awesome poo poo but sometimes I want to build a base and then hunt down cool bosses and monsters or something. I know monster fighting stuff have never been a strongpoint in minecraft but I want to do something other than build the perfect "infinite" resource setup for the sake of it. Like, I remember a long, long time ago there was a surge in mods like that (kings quest?, TF, Aether, etc) but there doesn't seem to be anything thats still supported.

Not that I know of yet, but keep an eye on The Betweenlands, it is supposed to have a release for 1.10.2 coming out soon and the 1.10.2 development is active on github. Looks like it's inspired a bit by the old Twilight Forest mod.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Did Twilight Forest ever get finished? It was pretty close the last time I looked at it, but we all know how much "almost finished" means when it comes to whether a mod actually gets wrapped up or not

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Did Twilight Forest ever get finished? It was pretty close the last time I looked at it, but we all know how much "almost finished" means when it comes to whether a mod actually gets wrapped up or not

As far as I know the thorns castle isn't finished, no. There's a castle there, but no boss.

Vayeate
Jul 17, 2009

Broville v.11

I realize this is a vanilla map but I believe it goes above and beyond the stretches of what you can do in vanilla MC. Plus its pretty much made for Traincraft or whatever else you feel to your hearts desire. The map is fully playable and filled with some truly amazing content along with tons of secrets and of course your typical fare of memes and in-jokes. What you see on the surface isn't even the tip of the iceberg. The map itself has gone through numerous iterations and this particular version is total revamp and the biggest yet.

Its a map we've worked endlessly for about 4-1/2 years. Mostly consisting of a team of people from /v/, Reddit and even a few from here. The city actually grew organically as a survival server, aeons ago it was converted into a creative server with the intent of releasing this to the public. The style was inspired by city building games and enforced with harsh unrelenting criticism of the builders.

You can download it here
http://oldshoes.ca/broville

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Neat! Reminds me of what the Insert Coin(s) crew used to do on Vanilla MC all those years ago. :allears:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
What version was it finished on? It seems to have a lot of redstone and redstone tends to break between versions.
I want to make sure its all working when I check it out.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Did you have to use adfly and mediafire? I had to go through about 7 popups and adware websites before it finally started downloading, and that was with adblock enabled.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's the state of world gen tweaking for 1.10? I'm looking to generate a map that's basically a never ending ocean, with small/medium islands sparsely scattered around, with maybe the rare large island. Think like LOZ: Wind Waker in size and scope. In a perfect world, each island would be a different biome. Is there any way to do that with vanilla 1.10? If not, are there any mods that can do it?

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Does All the Mods pack have any options for strip mining? I'm not seeing any and I need so much iron and junk.

Vayeate
Jul 17, 2009

OgNar posted:

What version was it finished on? It seems to have a lot of redstone and redstone tends to break between versions.
Thanks we really worked hard on, many tears and OCD was dropped on this project. Please feel free to do with it as you like. Thats what its for.

OgNar posted:

We did a post update check. There might be a few things wonky but for the most part we fixed all the syntax issues on the command blocks and a few RS issues. I know we did more testing on this then most actual games do. We will probably send out another revision with minor fixes.

Ambaire posted:

Did you have to use adfly and mediafire? I had to go through about 7 popups and adware websites before it finally started downloading, and that was with adblock enabled.
I'm sorry I'm not the one hosting it. That isn't right I'll let Oldshoes the project lead know about it. Here's a direct link. http://www.mediafire.com/file/h13mfmg2mom9o5o/Broville+v11.zip
We used adfly in the past and had no issues but its clear its gotten out of hand now.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Is there a reason Broville Island is inverted Canada?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'd never tried Material Energy^4 before because I hadn't played any of the others in the series and the idea of collecting 'spacetime wool' sounded ridiculous, but someone recently got me to try it.

Is this poo poo for goddamn masochists who are endlessly amused at seeing themselves die, or just people who are okay with taking several hours to get from one side of a room to another because of jacked up mob spawns, huge pitch-black rooms, and buffed mobs?

I've reached Rotunda^4 and I think I give up now. The area-before-last, Biosphere^4, was a loving shitshow of dozens of witches and withercats spawning continuously. PS: Armor doesn't protect you against hundreds of splash potions being thrown at you plus wither. Now in Rotunda^4, there's a reinforced obsidian cube with spawners inside that spawn a dozen zombies with enchanted armor and weapons that cause knockback, about 30 seconds of being on fire, and wither as well as hitting like a truck through the best armor I can make currently. My only recourse seems to be getting loving cookie auto production going because an Angel Ring requires like four octuple-compressed cookies, something like that. And even then I'll still need to deal with the skeletons shooting explosive/fire/wither arrows.

Maybe I'm supposed to be using some OP Minechem buffs I dunno, I have very little experience with that mod.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Black Pants posted:

So I'd never tried Material Energy^4 before because I hadn't played any of the others in the series and the idea of collecting 'spacetime wool' sounded ridiculous, but someone recently got me to try it.

Is this poo poo for goddamn masochists who are endlessly amused at seeing themselves die, or just people who are okay with taking several hours to get from one side of a room to another because of jacked up mob spawns, huge pitch-black rooms, and buffed mobs?

I've reached Rotunda^4 and I think I give up now. The area-before-last, Biosphere^4, was a loving shitshow of dozens of witches and withercats spawning continuously. PS: Armor doesn't protect you against hundreds of splash potions being thrown at you plus wither. Now in Rotunda^4, there's a reinforced obsidian cube with spawners inside that spawn a dozen zombies with enchanted armor and weapons that cause knockback, about 30 seconds of being on fire, and wither as well as hitting like a truck through the best armor I can make currently. My only recourse seems to be getting loving cookie auto production going because an Angel Ring requires like four octuple-compressed cookies, something like that. And even then I'll still need to deal with the skeletons shooting explosive/fire/wither arrows.

Maybe I'm supposed to be using some OP Minechem buffs I dunno, I have very little experience with that mod.

Those mobs aren't supposed to be fightable en masse, the armor they wear also has Thorns on it. Try a different approach.

Vayeate
Jul 17, 2009

Blind Duke posted:

Is there a reason Broville Island is inverted Canada?

I think that's a coincidence. But then again the lead builder is from B.C so now that I think about it, I should bring up the question. I myself was only responsible for interiors and few buildings like the Police HQ.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cryohazard posted:

Those mobs aren't supposed to be fightable en masse, the armor they wear also has Thorns on it. Try a different approach.

Oh yeah I'm not trying to fight anything head-on. But even being as careful as possible trying to slip around enemies and build fortifications and such they'll still gently caress me up repeatedly.

Edit: Now that I've 'finished' it: boy that sure wasn't worth the effort. Oh well.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 9, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Do you have access to lava? Lava fixes all problems.

I haven't even played ME^4 but if it's not fire immune, then Lava will fry it just fine. Pour the poo poo everywhere. BY FIRE BE CLEANSED

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Cryotheum works too. And Pyrotheum.

But yeah I agree ME^4 is dumb. If you're just supposed to kill everything with lava or whatever after a certain point isn't that pretty boring?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're complaining about modpacks, I've been trying to get back into SkyExchange and I've had to start over so many goddamn times due to stuff breaking. Oops, my EE transmutation table got overwritten when I updated a different mod, lost everything. Oops, I updated one mod and now Minecraft crashes. Oops, my solo game managed to desynch itself because Minecraft always runs as a server so now it's not recognizing when I break blocks even when I quit out completely. Goddammit I just wanna skyblock! :argh:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oops, my EE transmutation table got overwritten when I updated a different mod, lost everything.

And that's why when one is using a projectE or related mod, one always keeps one of everything in a couple RFtools storage units along with plenty of backup EMC. I've had my learned stuff reset a couple times when playing on servers... plan ahead now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've come to like Minechem as a way of obtaining stuff that would be otherwise difficult/impossible to get. For example earlier I realised I needed a mushroom for something and couldn't remember if I'd seen one in any of the cells. ..then I remembered I could just look up the chemical ingredients of mushrooms/mycelium, and made them.

Like in The Aftermath, Minechem feels like a good companion to Ex Nihilo for progression. Being given a decomposer/synthesis machine at the beginning and having to build a way to power them sounds like a good skyblock setup to me. You need the fission and fusion chambers for more exotic materials but 90% of what you'd want to make is just carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and maybe some nitrogen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ambaire posted:

And that's why when one is using a projectE or related mod, one always keeps one of everything in a couple RFtools storage units along with plenty of backup EMC. I've had my learned stuff reset a couple times when playing on servers... plan ahead now.

Hell, I didn't even get that far on my most recent map. I just set up my cobble generator, just made the transmutation table, I break the stone barrel I used to make obsidian and now when I break blocks I don't get the item and there's a "ghost block" left behind I can't move e through. Then when I restart Minecraft the blocks are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On the topic of 1.7.10 mods/packs, is TerraFirmaCraft actually good or is it more of a Gregtech thing? I only tried it briefly what must have been years ago and I'm wondering if it's worth the timesink. Anyone here given it a shot?