Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

namaste faggots posted:

all star treks except TNG are garbage, you fuckin nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
it just occurred to me that canada is one massive westworld and we have to keep reliving this political suffering with incompetent university dropouts and d-list lifefailures because it's the only way we'll become enlightened or sentient and one day decide to murder the blue collar working class motherfuckers who keep electing them

also, the rurals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Who goes to the trouble of getting a noose just to be a racist dickwad to some people at an LRT station? Somewhere along the line, don't you realize that's a horrible idea and literally anything else ever is a better use of your precious time on this earth?

There's a guy who wears a kilt and hangs out at major intersections downtown Toronto shouting anti-Muslim bullshit through a megaphone. That man believes, to his very core, that he's doing his fellow countrymen a service.

So to answer your question, people who are very, very, broken.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

Sorry Helsing, but CI is back to being my favorite poster again.

Also I am an Innovator and a Slytherin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm an innovator and a spooky ghost.

Did anyone get something other than innovator on that garbage survey?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im going to assume ikantski got something other than Innovator.

The rest of us are headed for the gulags.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i've never read a single harry potter and the only thing i know about is that all the dumb shitheads that work for hootsuite run around with broomsticks at the homeless camper park across the street from milano coffee

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2016/12/05/end-tax-breaks-for-the-rich-editorial.html

quote:

Every year, Ottawa spends about $110 billion to help poor and middle class people through programs like the Canada Pension Plan, employment insurance and others, collectively known as the social safety net. These expenditures, as with all direct spending, are reported to Parliament to be scrutinized. Information on the costs and impact is available to all.

Less public, but nearly as costly, is the roughly $100 billion the federal government forgoes annually in so-called tax expenditures. These exemptions, deductions and rebates, often offered as politically micro-targeted giveaways, have proliferated in recent decades and with particular intensity during the Harper years. Yet they are not subjected to the same kinds of accountability or evaluation that are applied to other government outlays.

As Auditor General Michael Ferguson warned last year, not even the finance department seems to know exactly how much money is forfeited or whether these giveaways achieve their stated objectives. By some estimates, tax expenditures now account for roughly a quarter of all government spending. That’s a lot of money to lose track of.

Moreover, what little we do know is cause for concern. A new report from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives shows that, while some of these measures are used to good effect, many others benefit most those who need help least. In fact, of the 64 tax breaks on which good data are available, all but five provide more benefit to the top half of earners than to the bottom.

In particular, the five most regressive loopholes give enormous breaks to the very rich without doing much, if anything, for the majority. These expenditures alone cost a combined $10 billion annually – more than enough to pay for, say, a national child care program.

“In essence there are two federal [transfer] systems in Canada,” writes economist David Macdonald, the report’s author, “one for the poor and middle class, and another shadow transfer system for the rich.”

The most problematic of the tax expenditures are profoundly unjust. Take pension income splitting, which allows the higher-earning spouse to shift pension income to the lower earner. The loophole costs federal coffers $965 million annually, 83 per cent of which goes to the richest 10 per cent.

Or take the tax break on dividends for shareholders of Canadian firms, which costs $4.1 billion a year, half of which goes to the top 1 per cent. Or the executive stock option loophole, which drains about $1 billion annually from the public purse, money that’s distributed even more regressively. A full 90 per cent of the benefit is enjoyed by the top 1 per cent.

Upon being installed as finance minister, Bill Morneau declared tax fairness his top priority. Yet his record on the issue is mixed. He at first vowed to close the loophole on executive stock options, perhaps the most obscene such tax break, but then, as the Star recently criticized, shamefully changed his mind under industry pressure. The Liberals did deep-six several wasteful Harper-era boutique tax credits, but added a dubious one of their own for teachers.

More encouraging, Morneau announced in April that his government will undertake a comprehensive review of tax expenditures with the double aim of simplifying the system and making it more progressive. In the process, he hopes to find $3 billion in savings – a modest, if plausible, goal. (The CCPA report recommends finding $5 billion annually by closing or capping the most regressive loopholes.)

The review is essential. Clearly we ought to subject tax expenditures to the same oversight and public debate as any other spending. This is especially true given the astronomical cost of these measures and our current context of slow growth and fiscal restraint. If the government wants to provide billions of dollars in tax breaks to the richest, it should at least be given the unenviable task of justifying its regressive largesse to the many who are struggling.

but guys, PM SELFIE is a man of the MIDDLE CLASS and in no way similar to PRESIDENT ELECT TRUMP

lmao gently caress y'all poors i love these tax breaks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

i've never read a single harry potter and the only thing i know about is that all the dumb shitheads that work for hootsuite run around with broomsticks at the homeless camper park across the street from milano coffee

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2016/12/05/end-tax-breaks-for-the-rich-editorial.html

but guys, PM SELFIE is a man of the MIDDLE CLASS and in no way similar to PRESIDENT ELECT TRUMP

lmao gently caress y'all poors i love these tax breaks

How does it feel knowing hootsuite gets more tax breaks than you?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

I'm an innovator and a spooky ghost.

Did anyone get something other than innovator on that garbage survey?

I got cooperator :sun:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

bunnyofdoom parachute account spotted

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Cooperators got their heads shaved after WWII.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hello, Friend.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I got cooperator, despite trying my hardest to push for PR with my answers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

namaste faggots posted:

CI the voice of reason, this is scary.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Does that include "Star Trek, The Animated Series?", because there was a lot of weirdness going on in that show.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Anyone who claims that the best Star Trek is not ds9 is objectively wrong

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The best Star Trek is Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-3, and it's got some explosive CanCon too (maybe more appropriate for the debt bubble thread).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

cheese sandwich posted:

Anyone who claims that the best Star Trek is not ds9 is objectively wrong

820 pages to finally land on a single, correct opinion.

Well done, thread!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

namaste faggots posted:

Woah, you made a good post

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
DS9 is good only for the supporting characters. Sisko was a poo poo character and the entire prophet, wormhole aliens and I dare say dominion war story arcs were trash.

If an episode isn't about Garak, Quark and maybe Bashir and O'Brien it isn't worth watching.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

DS9 is good only for the supporting characters.

Speaking of dumpster fires, Nathan Cullen hits the nail on the head in this interview.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-debate-government-s-my-democracy-survey-1.3882723

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I got co-operator somehow, please don't be angry at me, poligoons :ohdear:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That survey was terrible and I'm pretty disappointed but I guess Libs gonna lib.

I'm on Team Innovators. You Co-operators will be the first up against the wall when the revolution begins. :cthulhu:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

The best Star Trek is Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-3, and it's got some explosive CanCon too (maybe more appropriate for the debt bubble thread).

I remember all the Americans complaining about Tigh's weird accent. "What? He sounds like my grandpa"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
"Cooperators are, as a whole, the most interested of any archetype in taking action to increase the diversity of representation in Parliament. They are more likely to want Members of Parliament to better reflect Canada’s diverse population. "

What the gently caress? I strongly disagreed with all their forced diversity bullshit. Except for the question that asked about a "diversity of views" because I thought that was about having more parties and thus more diverse political views.

I went in and tried to say no to everything except the ones that applied to PR - which were all about "do you want more, smaller parties and less accountability?" gently caress off! There is ZERO accountability right now and the fact that the liberals have a majority is proof of that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

"Cooperators are, as a whole, the most interested of any archetype in taking action to increase the diversity of representation in Parliament. They are more likely to want Members of Parliament to better reflect Canada’s diverse population. "

What the gently caress? I strongly disagreed with all their forced diversity bullshit. Except for the question that asked about a "diversity of views" because I thought that was about having more parties and thus more diverse political views.

I went in and tried to say no to everything except the ones that applied to PR - which were all about "do you want more, smaller parties and less accountability?" gently caress off! There is ZERO accountability right now and the fact that the liberals have a majority is proof of that.

Yeah and I got "Innovator - you're a huge fan of online voting and lowering the voting age and mandatory voting!" despite saying I was steadfastly opposed to all of those things. The whole quiz is total bullshit.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Vox Pop has done a lot of similar things in the past. They had one a few years ago about Toronto municipal politics that was very well received in this thread, and it used a similar methodology, including slotting respondents into clusters. The problem is that people (reasonably!) want to express their views on very important issues like this, and not be forced into a stupid vote compass designed by a poli sci phd with a hard-on for stupid vote compasses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Canadians are more interested in what Trump is tweeting than anything the Liberals have done in the last year, lmao if you think Trudeau won't win a overwhelming majority in the new AV system because he has a nice smile.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Yeah and I got "Innovator - you're a huge fan of online voting and lowering the voting age and mandatory voting!" despite saying I was steadfastly opposed to all of those things. The whole quiz is total bullshit.

Here's how they designed the engagement quiz:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-making-of-mydemocracy-ca-the-liberals-electoral-reform-survey/ posted:

Once we had the parameters of the survey, we worked with an advisory panel of prominent scholars in areas such as research design, survey methodology and electoral politics. We developed a survey that drew from the existing literature on electoral reform in Canada and tried to identify various values that structure that discussion. We then built a very large survey with a number of questions—many more questions that you see included in MyDemocracy.ca—and field-tested those questions to random panels of Canadians to ensure that we were controlling for biased survey design or any other deficiencies.

Once we did all that field testing, we then went to quite a large panel of Canadians—more than 3,000—and asked them the remaining questions and used their responses to generate a cluster analysis. A cluster analysis finds correlations in responses to a survey and identifies how different groups of respondents cluster in a specific space.

If you go to MyDemocracy.ca and get your initial result, you can see the themes that emerged and how you are positioned on those themes, and also the distribution of Canadian public opinion. Once we had those clusters, which we represent as archetypes in the tool, we were able to look at their positions on issues and develop a narrative around them and also provide a label for them that spoke to some of their positions.

Notice that their methodology doesn't include the step 'talk to Canadians to find out what they care about'. Instead, it's an expert-driven process that didn't involve 'consulting' or 'engaging' Canadians at all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

'A dating website designed by Fidel Castro': Opposition blasts Liberal electoral reform survey

He's not wrong that it's a piece of crap but cracks about communism isn't very useful criticism and he should be taking his position as opposition more seriously.

edit: fixed genders because for some reason I brainfarted and said "she"

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Probably trying to make hay from Trudeau's statement about Castro's death, despite the fact that there's no connection between the two issues. Pretty weak, imo.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Speaking of dumpster fires, Nathan Cullen hits the nail on the head in this interview.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-debate-government-s-my-democracy-survey-1.3882723
Jesus that whole session left me exasperated

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Like Fidel Castro would've ever designed something as lovely as that quiz :rolleyes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Arivia posted:

I remember all the Americans complaining about Tigh's weird accent. "What? He sounds like my grandpa"

Oh my god you just blew my mind, I just played his voice back in my head and I clued in

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god you just blew my mind, I just played his voice back in my head and I clued in

Yeah it throws you for a loop because you're not USED to hearing someone sound so Canadian on big TV shows like that.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Falstaff posted:

Probably trying to make hay from Trudeau's statement about Castro's death, despite the fact that there's no connection between the two issues. Pretty weak, imo.

Honestly the fact that redbaiting is making such a come back really worries me

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arivia posted:

Yeah it throws you for a loop because you're not USED to hearing someone sound so Canadian on big TV shows like that.

I never even noticed, probably because pretty much everyone on Battlestar was Canadian. The main cast largely isn't, but Helo, Boomer and Six are, along with drat near every secondary and recurring character. It's basically Vancouver.mp4.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Arivia posted:

Boy your grandpa was grumpy and got cucked pretty bad. Even for a machine.

And best trek is DS9, CI is wrong as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
See jm20, you can't just kill someone with your car and got off scot free. You gotta pay a thousand bucks.

quote:

The family of Erica Stark fought back tears as they read victim impact statements, describing how the loss of their mother, sister, wife and daughter has affected them. And they breathed a collective sigh of relief when the woman who killed her was convicted of careless driving.

Erica, 42, was on the sidewalk at Midland Avenue and Gilder Drive on Nov. 6, 2014, when a Dodge Caravan swerved onto the curb, crashed through a bus stop and a traffic control box and hit her, sending her body hurtling into the intersection.

The minivan’s driver, 35-year-old Elizabeth Taylor, was sentenced Monday to a $1,000 fine and a six-month driving ban. After the first 30 days, she’ll be allowed to drive to and from work and once a week to run errands, like shopping for groceries.

Elizabeth Taylor did not testify at trial, and the defense offered no explanation for her actions, opting instead to cast doubt on the police reconstruction of the collision.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/12/05/guilty-verdict-in-erica-stark-careless-driving-case-toronto.html