Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

mysterious frankie posted:

I got the joke so I will report back once I start playing and let everyone know if I enjoy the game. We'll know if this assertion holds water by the week's end, by god.

i'm fine with that and i will also ironically try ffXV starting next week

yes i bought a ps4 some time ago, everyone has bad days

what puzzles me greatly is why this thread isn't talking about breath of the wild more. i read a comment on marvel vs capcom last page and i find it very inappropriate in a switch thread

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Zelda: it looks good and will be goty 2017, discussion over.

There is a zelda thread that had been talking about it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kawabata posted:

what puzzles me greatly is why this thread isn't talking about breath of the wild more.
Because everything that needs to be said has been said, and everything that doesn't need to be said belongs in garbage pit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the jpop RPG was Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it was GOTY in case u forgot

(actually it was picross 3d round 2 another excellent nintendo product)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I put like 100 hours into TMS and then got distracted with life and I really want to go back to it, I was having a good time killing mirages and listening to cool jpop.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TMS is GOTY but yeah I really need to get back to it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
TMS owns start to finish and I listen to the OST all the time.

Like right now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

The protags in XV look like fancy boys who would sing asian songs for yen, was the premise of the joke, I believe.

hmm I dont follow

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh hey.

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-nx-224250-play-Nintendo-Switch-Starter-Pack-Plus-Nintendo-Switch

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-nx-224251-play-Nintendo-Switch-Extra-Long-3m-Charging-Cable-Nintendo-Switch

USB-C it is.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Can't wait for all the reports of people melting their official Switch wall charger with out of spec third party cables and burning down their house!

Hopefully the official charger is C to C and not A to C.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
@Play do some dumb poo poo with their accessories. Their NES Classic controller cables have a cheap plastic hook under the male end that will block the second-player socket on the console.

The plug also looks weirdly loose in the casing, until you unscrew it and remove said plastic hook before screwing it back together. Then it fits snugly like it should never have had it at all.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I'm going to travel with my MacBook Pro and my Switch and only need one brick and cable for charging them

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

@Play do some dumb poo poo with their accessories. Their NES Classic controller cables have a cheap plastic hook under the male end that will block the second-player socket on the console.
I wonder if that's because the Wii classic controllers/nunchuks have that plastic hook on them for the wrist strap, and they just kept the same design for the NES Classic version without really thinking about it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kawabata posted:

I like my roman numerals like that. Unfortunately I haven't eaten Pringles in forever.

But to elaborate a bit on the AAA games thing: I would be very sad if games like the Dark Souls were not ported to the Switch. Other than them, what I consider AAA today are MOBAs (including Overwatch, a cool new moba with guns!) some of the best indie stuff, most Nintendo games and little else. This is all very arbitrary but being a pretty old gamer I don't like the fact that there's a whole new generation of spectacular, high budget products with the most soul-crushingly monotonous gameplay. It's been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere too, by some of the best people in the business: while games can definitely affect you emotionally they might not be the right media for complex stories or Hollywood-level spectacle. Go write a book or direct a movie if you're that good.

Now the Mass Effect series is almost decent cinema material (except portions of the third and obviously the ending) but as a game, heh. It doesn't do anything great. I think few developers come close to having "story", spectacle and gameplay at the same time, like Kojima with the latest MGS, while others (like Nintendo) are more conservative and go for gameplay first and foremost. Consequently, few other games feel as good to actually play as Nintendo games do.

This is why I'm not looking forward to most AAA stuff on Switch, and I suppose at least some of the other Nintendo die-hard fans agree with me.

Overwatch is not a MOBA.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bef posted:

Overwatch is not a MOBA.

In today's gaming it can only be a MOBA or a rogue-like, and it's too high budget for the latter.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Which one is super mario run and why does it have its own website.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Potentially dumb question: I got a travel battery a few months back, if I use it with some usb-a to usb-c cable to charge my switch, will it charge at the same speed as my phone or will it get the benefits from usb-c?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Decus posted:

Neither, it's just the runtime

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Decus posted:

It's the stupid phone game where you tap your phone and mario jumps or whatever. Pay 10 dollars for it pls.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

It's the stupid phone game where you tap your phone and mario jumps or whatever. Pay 10 dollars for it pls.
Flappy Marios, an idea behind its time

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

ok i will

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

ok i will

Haha! you enjoy things!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/805941800410095620

This will save the Wii U

Nov 24, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Potentially dumb question: I got a travel battery a few months back, if I use it with some usb-a to usb-c cable to charge my switch, will it charge at the same speed as my phone or will it get the benefits from usb-c?

At a guess I'd say the same speed as your phone, but have a look on the battery pack and see if it says "Output = 5V : 3A : 15W" or similar on it somewhere.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure my 5X only charges at a standard speed when plugged into a USB-C > USB-A cable anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Looking forward to the WiiU Classic with 30 built in amiibo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Looking forward to the WiiU Classic with 30 built in amiibo

That's more likely than it having 30 good games...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tender Bender posted:

What's the deal with FFXV anyway, my Twitter feed is full of people just posting screens of four anime looking dudes standing in a desert with captions like "MY BOYS" and I don't get it.

They are very proud of their handsome anime children. Why is that so hard to understand?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tender Bender posted:

What's the deal with FFXV anyway, my Twitter feed is full of people just posting screens of four anime looking dudes standing in a desert with captions like "MY BOYS" and I don't get it.

"why do people have fun and enjoy things and characters im a dumb idiot" - tender bender

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

"why do people have fun and enjoy things and characters im a dumb idiot" - tender bender

why can't everyone enjoy this you guys are so dumb - stux

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wow stux looking good there

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

uh are you implying there's something wrong with this random picture here

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

wow stux looking good there

Yeah, stux is a pretty boy.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, stux is a pretty boy.

he almost looks like he could be in ffXV

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

Tender Bender uses far better grammar. I'm starting to think this might be a false flag.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A lot of the love for FFXV seems to be ironic "Look at me I'm in a boy band lol I'm traveling with a bunch of dudes and am super effeminate ROFL".

But this is good. I think ironic love for something comes from an unironic desire to experience something from a new perspective in a safe non-committal way. Players are being enabled to experience a different, non traditional mode of masculinity they aren't used to and deriving joy from it, and that's great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not ironic lots of people genuinely enjoyed the game, including me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

"Look at me I'm in a boy band lol I'm traveling with a bunch of dudes and am super effeminate ROFL".
This is me irl

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

A lot of the love for FFXV seems to be ironic "Look at me I'm in a boy band lol I'm traveling with a bunch of dudes and am super effeminate ROFL".

Those statements aren't made ironically.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would love to play FFXV but I don't own the PS4 or Xbone. I am saving my money for the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

VideoGames posted:

I would love to play FFXV but I don't own the PS4 or Xbone. I am saving my money for the Switch.

welcome

• Locked thread