Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm leaving plenty of open time for open games if you want to get one in. SRM and I are going to throw down...

I kind of filled my schedule, but I'll definitely have gaps to at least do some BSing, and I'm the kind of person who will obsessively track down anyone I know even if through the net. I have Boon on my contacts list still from last year. What I'd REALLY like to do is get some goons to go out for drinks and KARAOKE after hours.

Not part of my last stories, but WoW filled my gamer gap during college and time in the military. My original guild had 3 separate meet ups during our time, they turned out to be mostly cool and normal people, it was a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I'd highly encourage you and Daishi to give it a shot--the bonuses aren't make-or-break, and it's an easy way to do a string of games that have more on the line than just "see who hosed who this time." I expect we'll be playing this one for the next year or so, off and on, if things go well. I'm hoping that incorporating kill team games in-between also makes things a little more interesting.

I might have to pick up the Onslaught book, then. Considering that like 75% of my games are against the same dude, anything that mixes it up or adds additional context is probably a good idea.

quote:

Ethan losing his commander was particularly brutal because it happened in his movement phase--the Deathmarks can deep strike in as soon as a unit arrives via Deep Strike, then shoot at them out-of-phase.

haha jesus christ this game is nuts

quote:

Here's a better pick of the Sicaran. I painted it up a while back and I'm pretty happy with it. It's sometimes difficult to figure out how to incorporate the yellow star for my Black Legion vehicles, but I was able to figure something out here. I need to get around to doing the Land Raider already.

Owns. I love the paint scheme for your Black Legion tanks, it's way too easy for them to look flat with just the black and metal, that big yellow fuckin' star really kicks it up (I like what you did with it on this one, and why it makes sense on the model, but I really dug the Rhinos with the star off-center, that was bad rear end).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Loving these new misspellings. Viridyan is big league.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

So that Sisters rumor was true--There's a new Cannoness coming out, though it's a resin kit and not plastic. I don't believe I've seen this character before?

Next week's prices + releases

"Resin Box Set"

Oh please no.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought they had finished with new resin models. I assume they've been sat on this one for a while and this is a good excuse to use it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Interesting that it's resin and not fine cast. Any chance it's a FW resin model?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Interesting that it's resin and not fine cast. Any chance it's a FW resin model?

I mean it could be, given the quantity note, but more than likely it's just Finecast. They've stopped calling FC by name and just refer to the models as "resin" now.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Tried to use green stuff to fill in gaps between tiles on my display board, and had a hell of a time, thinking the liquid version would've been a better bet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean it could be, given the quantity note, but more than likely it's just Finecast. They've stopped calling FC by name and just refer to the models as "resin" now.

Captain Centos was sort of Finecast? He was a little bendier than Forgeworld resin but not as bendy as Finecast resin. That's the only precedent I've got for you here. I think this might lend credence to the rumor that they've had Sisters models ready for a while now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

They are switching all FW resin to finecast

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

They are switching all FW resin to finecast limp noodles

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Having picked up the Planetary Onslaught book last week, I was pretty impressed with the campaign rules they laid out in it. Simple, with some cool rules for building custom warlords and defined, but non-game-breaking bonuses for winning each mission and phase of the full combined campaign. So I was pretty excited about starting a campaign this week with some of my buddies in the Jersey area.

[proceeds to give a real good battle report]
This post, especially in the context of the horror-posts surrounding it, makes me so grateful for you and the rest of our group. Thanks again for helping teach them the game during that first Ham Slam and for keeping their hobby/game balls rolling! I'm painting up the Toxicrene/Maleceptor from you guys right now and can't wait to get in some Genestealer Cult games soon.

Also, I love that our Necron player keeps me up-to-date on any breaking ridiculous things in-game. Pretty sure I got a message about that Tau Commander running off the table right after it happened.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ghost Hand

I guess for a while I was a bit of a competitive player - my gaming group of 4 buddies went super hardcore for a while before we all got sick of it. Very chill now.

The only badham story I have is a guy I'll call Dubro. Escalation league at my local store. He's a new player, new in town, and looking for friends. Playing blood angels.

I played him with my necrons at 1000 pts level. Alarm bells should have gone off when he asked my view on using all these ITC rulings at the start of the game. Bear in mind he claimed this was his third 40k game.

The game was a disaster. 45 mins to set up 1000 pts of BA. he rearranged the terrain the store had set up to use specific terrain pieces he'd pre set aside which advantaged him in deployment for infiltrating. He insisted he could walk through walls of ruins (technically ok) and abused the poo poo out of this by charging through walls to deny me overwatch, then hit and running back. Oh it's OK, he could draw line of sight through a small window so totally legit. Constant pre measuring of every little thing. Constant 'forgetting' rules etc.

Also I timed the placement of his dante death star. 35mins to deep strike a 6 man unit. So much pre measuring.

I took him for a drink after, it was a fairly heated game, and I was trying to be nice.

He then poo poo talked me online and said because I was shuffling my maelstrom cards (absent mindedly in boredom) I had cheated, as I had drawn the game through drawing a decent hand in turn 5.

My ork friend was due to face him afterwards and got sick of 6-7 pre game arguments over rules clearly designed to allow him to abuse psychic shriek and other things. He kept pulling out ITC rulings like this meant he was right.

Anyway he rage quit after I called him out on his attitude. Shame if he was a new player but loving hell, 3 hours to play a 1000 pt game is intolerable.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Word is that stores can only expect 1 or 2 of the new SoB resin kits.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I really loving hate how this hobby (and really all "nerd" hobbies) attract the absolute worst shitheels. They inevitably draw in the socially awkward since so much of it can be done solitarily, but hell, I have the best time painting and modelling with friends: just shooting the poo poo with some dumb movie or music on in the background while we craft our mans.

I guess we just experience a different sort of awful; I'm certain fantasy football leagues also have plenty of absolutely cringe-inducing douchehats.

I talk about this in my (thankfully shitheel free after years of experimentation) playgroup who boardgame mostly these days - The worst thing about being into these hobbies is having to deal with the mental images that people NOT in them has of them, and worse, realising those stereotypes are universally grounded in reality, and it's totally indefensible.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Yea my friend isn't the best with that, but honestly it doesn't bother me that much (I would say 50% of the people I play use proxies and don't paint their models). He is a cool guy and after hearing these horror stories I am more than happy to have them.

Do a lot of you guys refuse to play with people who proxy or bring unpainted armies?

I'm fairly cool with non-WYSIWYG / proxies, see my other post. So long as everyone knows what all the guys are/have it's fine, my main issue is when people 'forget' what models are armed with.

I prefer to play against painted armies, but I wouldn't refuse a game over it. I personally refuse to play with my own unpainted figures but that's on me :)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm fairly cool with non-WYSIWYG / proxies, see my other post. So long as everyone knows what all the guys are/have it's fine, my main issue is when people 'forget' what models are armed with.

I prefer to play against painted armies, but I wouldn't refuse a game over it. I personally refuse to play with my own unpainted figures but that's on me :)

This is a rule that TheChirurgeon holds to, that I've kind of accepted. I don't know, I like the idea of only putting painted models down, and it's important motivation for me to actually work on things. But I agree with you, I'm not super concerned about other people's models (obviously I'd prefer painted, since two fully-finished armies on a good table is peak 40k). Like I know Daishi haaaates painting, which sucks because he's actually pretty good at it considering how little practice he's had, and a lot of his models aren't WYSIWYG, but he's also never tried to job me on anything so I've got no complaints. I'll take that over the raw meat guy who had his entire army commission-painted and swaps his magnetized guns out every game specifically to counter whatever I brought.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LumberingTroll posted:

Word is that stores can only expect 1 or 2 of the new SoB resin kits.
That's what my FLGS told me too. And that the one they are getting has already been reserved. :negative:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Models that have all sorts of wargear that isn't immediately apparent on them are frustrating to me. Demons are huge offenders of this. Demon Princes can range from minor threats to to murder machines that you can't tell without looking at your opponents army sheet.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Paintball is super fun but I've mostly played it in groups of friends where we were all using rental guns. Having a few dudebros join our group with high end professional markers (Which the staff limited the velocity on, but then of course the dudebros just turned them back up when they were out in the field) who could fire out thousands of paintballs a second was just scary. When they fire full auto it sounds like somebody is ripping leather, just hosing down whatever you point it at.

Playing at a field is fine, but we also had a huge group that would meet to play at an abandoned train station. It was way cooler to play there, and usually word of mouth would get a good sized group. Most we ever had was 60 or so, we'd split into two teams and do assault/defense, "hostage" rescue and all kinds of fun stuff.

That being said, playing outside a field meant playing a bit loose with the rules. 99% of the guys were awesome but there's always that 1% and they can just as easily show up at a field as they can where we played.

e- and yeah, in case you were wondering, if you're meeting at an abandoned train station to play paintball, you have your own marker. Mine was semi-auto but set up for long range accuracy (as best a paintball can) but most of those guys were rocking full auto

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 6, 2016

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

some of these gene stealer cultist models are p awesome, how do they play?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Percelus posted:

They are a really unique army with a lot of Tyranid-like synergies and a TON of high power/low defense units. There's a ton of great Formations that add both flavor and unique and powerful abilities. While they have access to some decent guns, they are effectively a melee glass cannon and fights generally swing quickly into either winning big or losing huge.

Basically they are a ton of fun and are a very different flavor from just about any other army. Be warned it is a bit of a finesse army, meaning you have to use each units abilities in selective and smart ways to really get the most out of things, but if you're playing a friendly game just swamping people in Rending bodies is good enough.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so like dark eldar without raiders?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone got some good guides on display construction. Making my last attempt at salvaging my original display board idea. Specifically looking for ideas on how to build a Roman style concourse or parade ground. I've already started over twice and I'm getting sick of wasting precious painting time on it. Suggestions very welcome...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Models that have all sorts of wargear that isn't immediately apparent on them are frustrating to me. Demons are huge offenders of this. Demon Princes can range from minor threats to to murder machines that you can't tell without looking at your opponents army sheet.

I just trust that a Daemon Prince will have something to gently caress me up, and when my opponent rolls up all their random poo poo I just accept that whatever they're rolling is going to kill me, so I should shoot it dead.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Percelus posted:

They're the glassiest of cannons that can mix up mid-range shooting with real close-combat threats; they can also run armor-heavy tread-lists and troop blobs, but individual models are absolute paper tigers. Since they can sneeki-breeki onto and off of the board all the time, they're great objective-grabbers. The only trouble they'd have is with massed invulnerable saves like StormShield termies and fliers. Rending on basic troops (:gonk:) makes them able to punch way above their weight class.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I just trust that a Daemon Prince will have something to gently caress me up, and when my opponent rolls up all their random poo poo I just accept that whatever they're rolling is going to kill me, so I should shoot it dead.

Yeah I mean general "good practice" is to let your opponents know beforehand what everyone has.

ANAmal.net posted:

This is a rule that TheChirurgeon holds to, that I've kind of accepted. I don't know, I like the idea of only putting painted models down, and it's important motivation for me to actually work on things. But I agree with you, I'm not super concerned about other people's models (obviously I'd prefer painted, since two fully-finished armies on a good table is peak 40k). Like I know Daishi haaaates painting, which sucks because he's actually pretty good at it considering how little practice he's had, and a lot of his models aren't WYSIWYG, but he's also never tried to job me on anything so I've got no complaints. I'll take that over the raw meat guy who had his entire army commission-painted and swaps his magnetized guns out every game specifically to counter whatever I brought.

Oh man I just remembered the time he told me he was "unimpressed" with my paintjob on my Night Lords. gently caress that guy forever.

I think only using painted models provides a good motivation to keep painting, and just feels better, since it forces you to more carefully plan what you're going to buy and field. It can suck if you paint something up that's garbage (the "ANAmal's Dark Angels" problem) or if you hate painting duplicate units (the "BuffaloChicken" problem), but the end result looks great and it feels good to finish something just in time for a game you've scheduled.

That said, I don't give anyone poo poo about not painting their mans. I love painting, but not everyone does, and so getting pissy about someone else not painting their models, particularly if they aren't very good at it, is just a lovely thing to do. Painted armies look better but don't be a dick about it. I do try and help ShadowDaishi out with his army whenever I'm down there, though. I painted this Krom for him a while back when we first bought him stuff for his army.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If I was Daishi I'd be disappointed; that Krom is pretty unimpressive.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Realtalk, though, I've never been able to do that gem effect you did on his championship belt there, any tips?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Realtalk, though, I've never been able to do that gem effect you did on his championship belt there, any tips?

That was the first time I'd tried that, but I'm happy with how it turned out on the blue gem--the reds not as much. What I did was lay down a layer of Sotek Green (it might have been Altdorf Guard blue though, I don't remember, but the process won't change), then I washed it with Drakenhof Nightshade, then I did the outlines with Reaper Ghost White (do the outer diamond, plus the cross over the middle), with a smaller cross at the top/middle of pure white.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think I might be going too bright with the gems before I do the lines, thanks.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Demon princes are even worse as sometimes the wargear is randomly rolled before the game... A chance to reroll invuln saves or give fnp 4+ changes the entire power threat of the model.

Also plastic sisters only 1-2boxes per GW? Are they mad?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think I might be going too bright with the gems before I do the lines, thanks.

yeah the goal was to just hit the inside of the sides with a tiny bit of wash, so there'd be some darker color in there

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

It's a single resin model, like the various special 30k ones they had recently.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

They're going follow another company's ideas in order to duplicate the success of the NES Classic.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Percelus posted:

so like dark eldar without raiders?

They can field far more bodies and have more depth to their tactics/abilities. Dark Eldar are an interesting army because they start as a glass cannon and build to be resilient if you don't deal with them quickly. GSC starts off far stronger, but melts away if met with appropriate counters.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh man I just remembered the time he told me he was "unimpressed" with my paintjob on my Night Lords. gently caress that guy forever.

Haha, gently caress man, I forgot about that, what a dick thing for him to say. I love your Night Lords, and I hope they get good rules now so you'll actually play the fuckers (also because it'll cut back on getting my poo poo Vindicator-ed off the table). And goddamn that Krom is doooope.

I'm trying to get off of painting garbage units, though - been doing a lot of tactical dudes, but I need to do that second jet, and the bikes. Either way, I think I'm done loving with Terminators for a while.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Haha, gently caress man, I forgot about that, what a dick thing for him to say. I love your Night Lords, and I hope they get good rules now so you'll actually play the fuckers (also because it'll cut back on getting my poo poo Vindicator-ed off the table). And goddamn that Krom is doooope.

I'm trying to get off of painting garbage units, though - been doing a lot of tactical dudes, but I need to do that second jet, and the bikes. Either way, I think I'm done loving with Terminators for a while.

Yeah I've been slowly touching them up and painting army decals on all their shoulders. I'm prepping to start playing with them again.

I find that the jam for "only play with painted models" is to build the list you want to take, then start painting the chunks of that you need, so that you know you're painting things you're going to use, and that will work. One of the reasons I actually really like formations is because it fits this very well and gives me great goals to work towards when I'm building a new army. When I was building my Black Legion army, I started with HQ + 2 Troops, but then when the new supplement came out it was "ok, I need 1 squad of Berserkers, 1 squad of Khorne CSMs and 1 squad of Khorne Raptors to make this formation, so let's paint that next." Likewise for painting a second forgefiend. For my white panthers, my new goal is to paint up a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

PierreTheMime posted:

They can field far more bodies and have more depth to their tactics/abilities. Dark Eldar are an interesting army because they start as a glass cannon and build to be resilient if you don't deal with them quickly. GSC starts off far stronger, but melts away if met with appropriate counters.

ya when i played dark eldar in 3rd edition every game was a one sided blood bath, win or lose. either my wyches got into combat and swept through with that sweet invun against anything except orc warbosses or greater daemons with ease or everything was shot down in the first turn or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

That's kind of where I'm at now, working on a Demi-Company for the Lion's Blade detachment, and yeah, it's proving a lot more effective, and motivating, then just painting random trash units that either don't fit in a list or will get insanely dumpstered as soon as they hit the table.

I've got enough bros that it's a legal formation now, but I wanted a break from doing power armor so I'm painting up the Calth Contemptor. Once Daishi finally gets me my part of the Prospero box I can finish out the command squad.

• Locked thread