Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is that a Metal Gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Could be that Cybertron has been weaponized and thus has been turned into Unicron

There are no good Transformers in the Movie universe. There is no distinction between Cybertron and Unicron because there is no Primus, there is no God.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

With that big horn growing out of the ground, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the Earth is Unicron thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have no idea what is going on and I can't wait to find out :stare:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robot Style posted:

With that big horn growing out of the ground, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the Earth is Unicron thing.

If Earth is Unicron, Unicron will claim Optimus as his herald.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't think Earth is Unicron. It seems like the wreck of Cybertron is coming to Earth. I'm curious as to whatever reason Anthony Hopkins has for the Transformers to keep turning him on Earth constantly and consistently.

Also, it's kind of hilarious how Optimus is all set to go murder his creator-gods but doesn't even seem to make it past Jupiter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

today has been a good day.

today has been a very good day.

quote:

Oh, I'd almost forgotten the nazi william churchill house thing

I think what I hate more than absolutely any other aspect of the michael bay films is that the first two were like, pretty explicitly 'hey, we're gonna work together, we're gonna save you from evil' and then that got thrown out in favour of 'kill all transformers trasnformers want to kill all humans grr rr military will kill all aliens military best military best, blow stuff up, yes good, michael bay's id please'"

it's loving demeaning to the idea of transformers

like for christ's sake, you could have latched onto pacific rim which had actual rear end in a top hat aliens that actually wanted to kill all humans? but for some reason you latched onto one of the most beloved franchises of the 80s, complete with a character an awful lot of people look up to, and turned them all into slightly more personable Alien Other which talk so that the audience can be more scared of and more happy when the american military destroys them all and wins

pictured: the idea of transformers

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

today has been a good day.

today has been a very good day.

pictured: the idea of transformers

Who are you quoting there? That is hysterical.

The funny thing about people looking up to Optimus is that he's kind of a blank slate in a lot of his incarnations. He looks like a leader and kind of sounds like one, but he never gets out of the archetype mold early on. I kind of like the idea that Bay's Prime is just him if you gave him a Facebook comments section to play around in.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is that a Metal Gear?

those are the mooing robots from metal gear rising, oh my god

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

quote:

When you think of Transformer’s Bumblebee, Quentin Tarantino probably doesn’t come to mind. The vocally challenged hot-rod has become one of the franchise’s most memorable figures, and Paramount Pictures plans to capitalize on the bot’s popularity with a spin-off film. So far, there are few details out there about the anticipated standalone, but Michael Bay did let it slip that plenty of ideas were pitched for the film, and one of them was decidedly R-rated.

ah, yes, an r-rated bumblebee film

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's a shot-for-shot remake of The Brown Bunny, except with Bumblebee as Chloe Sevigny's character.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
It's going to be revealed that Cybertron is just Earth in the future, and the Transformers are all descendants of those swarming robots Tucci's character made in the last movie. Bookmark me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder how those guys that had their names legally changed to Optimus Prime and Megatron feel about these movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I wonder how those guys that had their names legally changed to Optimus Prime and Megatron feel about these movies.

Then these movies are made for them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is that a Metal Gear?

i really hope this isn't a coincidence

micheal bay loving metal gear would be so perfect

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

War . . .

War has changed.

[Robot pissing on John turturro.gif]

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

This looks bonkers and I cannot wait.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man those stills are all really loving well composed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like how Bay seems to be learning from the developments of his proteges. I'm getting mad Neill Blomkamp and Jose Padilha vibes.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Could be that Cybertron has been weaponized and thus has been turned into Unicron

It finds frozen Optimus in space and turns him into its servant, explaining why he is upgraded and reluctantly fighting Bumblebee

bing bong so simple

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

ah, yes, an r-rated bumblebee film

Just put him in Inglorious Basterds. Let Bumblebee kill Hitler.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

I like how Bay seems to be learning from the developments of his proteges. I'm getting mad Neill Blomkamp and Jose Padilha vibes.

Blomkamp was Peter Jackson's protege wasn't he

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hat Thoughts posted:

but of course i mean spiritual proteges

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to think that Bay would make Optimus the legit villain of a Transformers movie, but I think we all know its just going to be for one fight scene and then he'll be converted back to the good guys Temple of Doom style.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

but of course i mean spiritual proteges

Oh ya sure no doubt there

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to think that Bay would make Optimus the legit villain of a Transformers movie, but I think we all know its just going to be for one fight scene and then he'll be converted back to the good guys Temple of Doom style.

Sadly I agree

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I think that kind of cynicism fails to account for just how suitably loving evil Optimus has always been. The last thing these movies need is some beleaguered speech where he announces he's finally going over to the dark side.

"Forgive me" is much more haunting and effective. These movies are just the natural satiric extension of The Iron Giant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Optimus has said and done some morally questionable things in the series, but Bay has always kept it just subtle enough so that the average person doesn't have to think about that if they don't want to. I'm sure this will be no different, there will be enough plot reasoning to explain why Optimus is temporarily fighting against the Autobots and then he'll be "cured" fairly quickly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The end of Dark of the Moon wasn't subtle at all and then in the dinosaur one Optimus was an unhinged outlaw tyrant who would say things like "you are free, now follow me or I'll kill you"

e: "We're giving you freedom! Now defend my family or die!"

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those lines are still more subtle than having Optimus as the primary antagonist of the story. If Bay actually goes that route than I'll be very impressed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, I agree. It's kind of more fun to see what kind of atrocities Optimus will pull as the 'hero' anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is just a setup for OPtimus to commit some atrocities as a "bad guy" then once he regains control he retaliates by doing even worse poo poo to the actual bad guy.

You ever seen a planet get its face ripped off? You're about to.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should be the tagline of the movie

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is just a setup for OPtimus to commit some atrocities as a "bad guy" then once he regains control he retaliates by doing even worse poo poo to the actual bad guy.

I can't stop laughing at everything about this movie. These are the weirdest blockbuster movies ever made and I'm not sure they can be topped.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't tell if I enjoy these movies or if I just enjoy the weird alternate narrative this thread conceived around them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Blomkamp is Bay's friend and he was actually a huge fanboy of Bay to the point that he made a "pilgrimage" to Hollywood from South Africa. Bay was the reason he made movies.

Also here is a very hi-res trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhjXDYzXUU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

YggiDee posted:

I can't tell if I enjoy these movies or if I just enjoy the weird alternate narrative this thread conceived around them.
I was certainly thinking of this thread when Optimus Prime bellowed "WE'RE GIVING YOU FREEDOM!" while punching Grimlock in the head.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YggiDee posted:

I mean the narrative of this thread for these movies focused on faces and then the trailer for the 4th came out and Lockown's face literally turns into a gun. It was pretty loving obvious we're on the right track.

Ash1138 posted:

I was certainly thinking of this thread when Optimus Prime bellowed "WE'RE GIVING YOU FREEDOM!" while punching Grimlock in the head.

"Honor to the end" immediately after stabbing Lockdown in the back and cutting his face in half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean the narrative of this thread for these movies focused on faces and then the trailer for the 4th came out and Lockown's face literally turns into a gun. It was pretty loving obvious we're on the right track.
Turned into a gun and shot Optimus Prime, no less. I'm so glad that actually happened in the movie and wasn't just out of context editing for the trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"Honor to the end" immediately after stabbing Lockdown in the back and cutting his face in half
YES