Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Wasn't there an American Life about a pyromaniac where it turned out to be caused by sexual frustration? Once he found a girlfriend he lost the urge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Arrhythmia posted:

if you really think about it divorcing your wife in the ring would be the ultimate heel move

:boom:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
are there flamboyant straight guys? like, why is flamboyance associated with homosexuality at all?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
also i've never met one of "those" gay guys. all the gay guys i know (the local bukkake scene) are just regular dudes, as you would expect

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

you irl posted:

are there flamboyant straight guys? like, why is flamboyance associated with homosexuality at all?

Oscar Wilde is the reason I think.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I knew a guy who was super flaming. I didn't like him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Got another spicy-hot "I secretly have conservative beliefs" confession here

quote:

I sincerely believe transsexuals are mentally ill. It just happens that the best treatment appears to be going along with them and performing sex reassignment surgery.

I wouldn't say this makes me transphobic. I want them to get healthy, so I try to be supportive, use the right names and pronouns, tell people to gently caress off when they complain about Target bathrooms. But at the end of the day I inwardly roll my eyes when somebody talks about being born into the wrong body; all that happened was they got brokebrain and we haven't figured out a better way to fix it yet, so we're just doing the equivalent of icepick lobotomies.

quote:

My sister has gone crazy and I'm feeling forced to cut her out of my life. I want some perspective so I'm sure I'm not just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

My sister has never had much luck dating - she is a little overweight but more importantly, she's extremely awkward around guys, especially growing up. Her first boyfriend was at 19, and she's only dated 2 other guys since then. Back in October of 2015 she started talking to a guy in her office. It quickly progressed to dates, then officially dating, and now they are engaged. I would normally be thrilled but am worried her life is on a downward spiral.

I noticed something was up when this guy bought a boat. My sister makes good money as an accountant, and this guy is also an accountant. But we live in rural Pennsylvania, it's a 45 minute drive to get anywhere you might use this boat. Since they boat it last year it was used a grand total of one time, and instead sits in their driveway. It's their money, but this was the first sign something was up.

I didn't see my sister for about 5 months over the summer due to some crazy schedules for both of us, and I barely recognized her when I finally saw her. She was wearing more makeup than I've ever seen her wear, and had gained at least 50-60 lbs. Her boyfriend, who had moved in to her house, had also gained quite a bit of weight and was cultivating a ZZ Top-esque beard.

The final weird thing is that she has started posting about Christmas non-stop on facebook and texting/calling to coordinate schedules. At one point I texted back "X-mas" and she didn't talk to me for 2 days, then said that I needed to come to Jesus and keep Christ in the holiday. We never went to church as kids so I dunno where the gently caress this came from.

I then jokingly asked if our godfather, who is from Yemen and a Muslim, was allowed to this "Christly" holiday. She said that no Muslim was allowed in her house any more. Uncle John is a beloved family member and has been present at our holidays since we were kids.

Is it any of my business to handle this, or should I let her do her crazy thing?

just culture-warrin' it up nonstop ITT

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
Please be respectful and Keep Christ In This Christly Holiday.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pay the Goonchacho to leap out and break their diningroom table right as they get the food out

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
so uh.... pyro goon wouldnt happen to live in Oakland, right??

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
yeah I mean, if my siblings turned into racist pieces of poo poo you bet your rear end I'd cut them out, especially if they're being dickheads to beloved family members

also holy poo poo a goon being crappy to trans people how original and edgy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

loquacius posted:

quote:

I'm not transphobic but...

:jerkbag:

loquacius posted:

quote:

The final weird thing is that she has started posting about Christmas non-stop on facebook and texting/calling to coordinate schedules. At one point I texted back "X-mas" and she didn't talk to me for 2 days, then said that I needed to come to Jesus and keep Christ in the holiday. We never went to church as kids so I dunno where the gently caress this came from.

I then jokingly asked if our godfather, who is from Yemen and a Muslim, was allowed to this "Christly" holiday. She said that no Muslim was allowed in her house any more. Uncle John is a beloved family member and has been present at our holidays since we were kids.

This is genuinely pretty messed up :stare: god drat

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
sounds like Uncle John dodged a bullet tbh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know how godfathers even work, I assumed it was a Catholics-only position

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I mean when you really think about it, we're all mentally ill in one way or another, maaaan

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

loquacius posted:

I don't know how godfathers even work, I assumed it was a Catholics-only position

Godparents are supposed to ensure a pious upbringing, but in reality, it's just a title and about as religious as Christmas is for most people. It's like an extra aunt/uncle.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with being mentally ill

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Uncle John not going fast enough, he should grow a beard, carrying a dagger and get a turban then when she confronts him, he should be all, Imma Sikh now you sick bitch!!!!

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

That's actually not a transphobic stance. It comes from a good place and is basically the mainstream medical stance on gender dysmorphia

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Godparents are supposed to ensure a pious upbringing, but in reality, it's just a title and about as religious as Christmas is for most people. It's like an extra aunt/uncle.

In my experience it's just a thing people say to make a friend feel good with the small print being that if you forget to buy their kid a gift they'll make you feel extra bad about it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There also expected to step in as guardians if some tragic event leaves the kid with no blood relatives, but it's not legally binding or anything.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Xmas is not a non-religious version of Christmas. The X is actually indicating the Greek letter Chi, which is short for the Greek, meaning Christ. So Xmas and Christmas are equivalent.

At one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole Xmas thing in the first place. The practice of using the symbol X in place of Christ’s name has been going on among religious scholars for hundreds if not more than a thousand years.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Xmas is not a non-religious version of Christmas. The X is actually indicating the Greek letter Chi, which is short for the Greek, meaning Christ. So Xmas and Christmas are equivalent.

At one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole Xmas thing in the first place. The practice of using the symbol X in place of Christ’s name has been going on among religious scholars for hundreds if not more than a thousand years.

It's as if there are Christians who actually don't know anything about Christianity. :smugbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cacator posted:

It's as if there are Christians who actually don't know anything about Christianity. :smugbert:

When she heard "keep Christ in Christmas" she took it way, way too literally

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Ditch your sister and hang out with Uncle John.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just don't get on a plane with him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
Free Uncle John

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

you irl posted:

Free Uncle John

I'll take two!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The only practical difference between "transgendered people have a problem where they're born in the wrong body" and "well ACTUALLY transgendered people have a mental illness where the right body for them isn't the one they were born into" is that even though you recognize that transitioning is the best choice which creates the greatest good, you still have the arbitrary desire to characterize that choice with stigma and weakness.

Basically, you have enough moral intuition that your standpoint is congruent with the correct one, but you take special care to articulate your standpoint using implicit pejoratives and a negative tone because justifying at least a little bit of hate towards trans people is important to you.

Hope this helps.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
gently caress you for getting probated loquacius, you needto get in here and post some new confessions so everyone will shut the gently caress up about trans poo poo.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Eikre posted:

The only practical difference between "transgendered people have a problem where they're born in the wrong body" and "well ACTUALLY transgendered people have a mental illness where the right body for them isn't the one they were born into" is that even though you recognize that transitioning is the best choice which creates the greatest good, you still have the arbitrary desire to characterize that choice with stigma and weakness.

Basically, you have enough moral intuition that your standpoint is congruent with the correct one, but you take special care to articulate your standpoint using implicit pejoratives and a negative tone because justifying at least a little bit of hate towards trans people is important to you.

Hope this helps.

I get this but I don't know why you would trust the person with the mental illness to self-diagnose both the root cause and the solution.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I get this but I don't know why you would trust the person with the mental illness to self-diagnose both the root cause and the solution.

Maybe it's not a mental illness

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm pretty sure it is medically defined as a mental illness

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Improbable Lobster posted:

well there ya go, maybe it is, maybe it isn't - so we're erring on the side of 'caution' and letting people mangle themselves for some nebulous idea of progression.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Personally I just don't understand why anyone would consider a massively invasive surgery that is hugely disruptive to someone's life to be an ideal solution. Best we can do now? Absolutely! But ideal even in case of medical/psychological advances? Really, you'd still make them go around and announce to everyone and spend months on hormones in a between state, and then get cut open and reconstructed, even if there was some kind of future/magic alternative treatment that would just make them perfectly happy with their present body?

Also, if it's not a mental illness then what is being treated by the surgery? I know you're not arguing that reassignment is elective cosmetic surgery, and the only other kind is curative. And if you think that it's so special and unique that it is a new category of thing that is not a problem but still requires--needs--a cure, I would like to hear a clarification.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nooner posted:

I'm pretty sure it is medically defined as a mental illness

Gender dysphoria is in the DSM, but it specifically refers to feelings of depression and anxiety over being transgendered. Being transgendered is not actually a mental illness, but being transgendered and it affecting your life in a huge way, to the point where you can't cope is.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cacator posted:

Yes but less :smugbert: and more :dawkins101: Have your faith, just try to have any understanding of the basics (and I suppose history) of that faith.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

you irl posted:

Straight & Fabulous, AMA

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Rush Limbo posted:

Gender dysphoria is in the DSM, but it specifically refers to feelings of depression and anxiety over being transgendered. Being transgendered is not actually a mental illness, but being transgendered and it affecting your life in a huge way, to the point where you can't cope is.

Being autistic is not actually a mental illness, but being autistic and it affecting your life in a huge way, to the point where you can't cope is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
ok ok ok I already think of trans people 7 hours a night in bed in a fever dream of lust so lets snap this thread back to reality until the op gets out of the naughty corner

http://www.confessions.net/

Am i a bad person?
I met this guy a few years ago, online. he wa amazing to talk to and i found myself falling in love with him. the problem is that i finally met in person him a few months after we met, and i found out his looks were not as amazing as his personality. i'm ashamed to say that i can't even go anywhere in public with him because i'm pretty good looking and i think being with him makes me look bad.