Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have to assume that the fan that comes with the CPU probably wont cut it, what should I be looking at if I want to get something for the i5-6600 I plan to purchase? I am extremely uncomfortable setting up any kind of liquid cooling on my own so Im hoping to avoid that if possible.

e: If Im buying my own cooling should I just get the 6600k since its the same price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The stock intel fan works fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Furnaceface posted:

I have to assume that the fan that comes with the CPU probably wont cut it, what should I be looking at if I want to get something for the i5-6600 I plan to purchase? I am extremely uncomfortable setting up any kind of liquid cooling on my own so Im hoping to avoid that if possible.

e: If Im buying my own cooling should I just get the 6600k since its the same price?

Yes. The 6600K is just flat out better and if you can get it at the same effective price why not.

Buy a Z-series motherboard too and then you can overclock down the road. The Z-series are also effectively the same price as the H170 series and all of the other Intel motherboard chipsets have big compromises involved that you shouldn't make for a gaming system.

Don Lapre posted:

The stock intel fan works fine.

The 6600K does not include a stock Intel fan anyway so...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
He was talking about the 6600 non k originally

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Once you switch to a K, add in the Z motherboard and even just a 212 cooler you're looking at about a 100 dollar premium over a non overclocking setup. If you're not planning on overclocking it's a waste.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

craig588 posted:

Once you switch to a K, add in the Z motherboard and even just a 212 cooler you're looking at about a 100 dollar premium over a non overclocking setup. If you're not planning on overclocking it's a waste.

Yeah this is my worry about switching over to the k, Im already slightly over my budget without a fan. Im also not as good at computers as I used to be so overclocking isnt necessarily a thing Id be likely to do.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

craig588 posted:

We're not forcing anyone to buy a K processor, but having the Z170 board so you have the OPTION to buy one down the line is very much worth it.

The H170 and Z170 might share numbers, but the Z170 has a few more creature comforts that make it worthwhile.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 26, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you're just running stock clocks/volts then the stock Intel HSF should work OK since it only needs to dissipate something like 65W and can be had for $5-10 on ebay. Local PC shops tend to have them for cheap too though the ones where I live tend to charge $15 that is very YMMV.

This one goes for $3+$3.40 shipping as a buy-it-now option. Idle temps should be around 35C and heavy load temps around 80C which is fine. If you want much better temps or less noise or overclocking headroom then a OK aftermarket HSF like the CM212 is a must.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
With SFF type machines being built with limited thermal headroom, I really can't say that everyone will be completely fine with the stock heatsink. My i7-4790k CPU (that I got for a pretty steep discount from Microcenter that made it almost as cheap as buying a i5-4590 with a motherboard that had no discounts) was definitely thermal throttling in my Core V1 case with a GTX 970 also present. Even just running Handbrake and ffmpeg for 4+ days straight was rolling the dice for months and I was going nuts trying to figure out if something was wrong with my RAM or if I had some buggy software (beta software). I removed the GTX 970 and some of the instability of FPS (in my video encoding that is) went away, so I did an experiment by changing the stock heatsink out. Bam, I've had no crashes since.

On the other hand, I never really cared too much for extra FPS at the cost of more power consumption (especially in a case with only so good temps) but with how single core performance has stagnated for years and will continue to do so, I think I'll be fine overclocking it years down the line just for gaming scenarios or if it needs it for some faster HEVC transcoding (probably going to get surpassed by hardware though since even high-end CPUs on their own don't reliably do realtime 1080p or 4k h.265 encode it appears).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

necrobobsledder posted:

With SFF type machines being built with limited thermal headroom, I really can't say that everyone will be completely fine with the stock heatsink. My i7-4790k CPU (that I got for a pretty steep discount from Microcenter that made it almost as cheap as buying a i5-4590 with a motherboard that had no discounts) was definitely thermal throttling in my Core V1 case with a GTX 970 also present. Even just running Handbrake and ffmpeg for 4+ days straight was rolling the dice for months and I was going nuts trying to figure out if something was wrong with my RAM or if I had some buggy software (beta software). I removed the GTX 970 and some of the instability of FPS (in my video encoding that is) went away, so I did an experiment by changing the stock heatsink out. Bam, I've had no crashes since.

On the other hand, I never really cared too much for extra FPS at the cost of more power consumption (especially in a case with only so good temps) but with how single core performance has stagnated for years and will continue to do so, I think I'll be fine overclocking it years down the line just for gaming scenarios or if it needs it for some faster HEVC transcoding (probably going to get surpassed by hardware though since even high-end CPUs on their own don't reliably do realtime 1080p or 4k h.265 encode it appears).

This has nothing to do with thermal headroom in the case. That cooler was not sufficient for that processor, which is one reason why Intel stopped including them with their K processors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

necrobobsledder posted:

My i7-4790k CPU (that I got for a pretty steep discount from Microcenter that made it almost as cheap as buying a i5-4590 with a motherboard that had no discounts) was definitely thermal throttling in my Core V1 case

It's somewhat known (I mentioned it a handful of times before) that the 4790K throttled with the stock heatsink under heavy load, it just wasn't suitable for the task at hand; which is probably partly why Intel decided to throw in the towel and not bother including that useless hunk of aluminium with the unlocked Skylakes.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Will Zen beat Skylake/Kaby Lake and change the cpu market as we know it?

Otakufag fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 27, 2016

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably not, but if it's real competition it will at least force Intel to lower prices a bit.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Otakufag posted:

Will Zen beat Skylake/Kaby Lake and change the cpu market as we know it?

Best case scenario: Zen is Haswell level architecture for slightly less

Worst case scenario: Zen is bulldozer all over again but this time at a new and improved price.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Kind of crossing my fingers that it'll be competitive and cost the three-fiddy is being rumored to be (lol yeah right), allowing for a 2S battlestation at an affordable price.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of crossing my fingers that it'll be competitive and cost the three-fiddy is being rumored to be (lol yeah right), allowing for a 2S battlestation at an affordable price.

Thats the hope. If we get anywhere close to Haswell single core performance, and we get 8 of them for $350, that will throw a wrench into the $1000+ CPU market Intel has been enjoying these past few years hopefully.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Tom's Hardware has released their i7-7700k review. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html

Does anyone know of any other reviews? Looking to see how the 7700k compares to a 4790k. I know it probably isn't an effective upgrade for me, but I just want to see comparatively.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Tom's Hardware has released their i7-7700k review. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html

Does anyone know of any other reviews? Looking to see how the 7700k compares to a 4790k. I know it probably isn't an effective upgrade for me, but I just want to see comparatively.

4.8GHz @ 1.3v is pretty impressive. Begs the question of what Kaby-X is going to do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it worthwhile to upgrade my 2500k? I'm satisfied up until 64-player Battlefield games.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tab8715 posted:

Is it worthwhile to upgrade my 2500k? I'm satisfied up until 64-player Battlefield games.

Overclock it if you haven't, then see if you're satisfied. A 3570k or 3770k overclocked would also be a drop in upgrade and can provide real tangible increase in performance if you don't want to overhaul your computer completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 30, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

Overclock it if you haven't, then see if you're satisfied. A 3570k or 3770k overclocked would also be a drop in upgrade and can provide real tangible increase in performance if you don't want to overhaul your computer completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

How much do those go for used?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PerrineClostermann posted:

You can get used 3770k's off eBay for ~$200 if you're at all patient.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SlayVus posted:

140w on that small a die :supaburn:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

140w on that small a die :supaburn:

Haha, time for water cooling!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

3570K's are only about $100-150 on ebay. I just saw one go for $80 on SA-Mart. 3770K's seem a bit more rare.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When are the Kaby Lake X chips scheduled to come out? Or are we still waiting on the Skylake X? It looks to me that the next enthusiastic level chips won't be out until Coffee Lake in 2018 and those will still be 14nm. I really don't want to wait that long to finally build a new PC but the 7700k isn't really impressing me. So when is the 7850k or whatever going to be out?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When are the Kaby Lake X chips scheduled to come out? Or are we still waiting on the Skylake X? It looks to me that the next enthusiastic level chips won't be out until Coffee Lake in 2018 and those will still be 14nm. I really don't want to wait that long to finally build a new PC but the 7700k isn't really impressing me. So when is the 7850k or whatever going to be out?

What roadmaps we've seen have Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X coming out at the same time. Skylake-X will have more cores, while Kaby Lake-X has really high clocks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What roadmaps we've seen have Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X coming out at the same time. Skylake-X will have more cores, while Kaby Lake-X has really high clocks.

everything I'm reading says that the 6 cores aren't coming until Coffee Lake next year. Is one coming earlier?

And what are the estimated releases? This spring or later?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 6, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

everything I'm reading says that the 6 cores aren't coming until Coffee Lake next year. Is one coming earlier?

And what are the estimated releases? This spring or later?

I meant to say that yes, they are coming out at the same time. Skylake-X is going to be a big socket, and have 6+ cores just like Haswell-E and Broadwell-E is what I've seen so far.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thanks for the info. Man the Intel roadmaps are really confusing. And by the time Sky/Kaby lake X chips come out I'll be asking if I should wait a bit longer for Coffee Lake.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 6, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're out a while already, in the form of LGA 2011 and the -E series, soon to be -X. Of course, they'll cost a premium over the small socket variants and don't come with such a high stock clocks, but if you're lucky, they overclock well enough. At least that was the case for the Haswell-E CPUs.

Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X will be sharing the same socket, from what things look like, both on a new large socket.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LGA3647 seems like it's not going to be an enthusiast socket. Kaby-X and Skylake-X will be using Socket 2066 on X299 boards.

Also, Coffee Lake isn't due until 2H 2018. Non-X Kaby is going to be around for a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's disappointing that the 7700k still doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade over my OC 2500k. I want to build a whole new PC already but I might as well continue to wait as SSDs continue to fall in price.

Are there any motherboards with more than one USB 3.1C port?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's disappointing that the 7700k still doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade over my OC 2500k. I want to build a whole new PC already but I might as well continue to wait as SSDs continue to fall in price.

Quite a few come with 1-2 Type A and only one Type C.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

News came out today that the new Nintendo console will charge over usb-c, while I think this is irrelevant to any sort of motherboard situation I can imagine it's still kind of a mile marker moment, and I'd really want a computer with usb-c going forward because loving everything will run off that now like it or not.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AMD GPU's for future Intel iGPU's?

Well. This wasn't something I expected, but considering Nvidia probably would have laughed Intel out of the meeting for the same sort of deal, I can see this working out as a net positive in the long run, especially say if AMD can use Intel's fabs for the iGPU's possibly?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pryor on Fire posted:

News came out today that the new Nintendo console will charge over usb-c, while I think this is irrelevant to any sort of motherboard situation I can imagine it's still kind of a mile marker moment, and I'd really want a computer with usb-c going forward because loving everything will run off that now like it or not.

Well it's just a tablet, and USB charging is already common on those. It would mean a lot more if it was something like the new PS4/Xbox One revisions using USB-C.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bad news there, SSDs are about to get more expensive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,33112.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well I'll be waiting long enough that I'm sure the prices will cycle back.