Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I also still really like the Cavs, they pretty sneakily figured out how to involve Kevin Love in their offense finally and their defense in the playoffs is proven.

It cannot be understated how much better Kevin Love has been this year. Dude is averaging a double-double and is shooting 43% from 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Intruder posted:

I think Bashez raises a good point in that regardless of Timmy it makes no sense the Spurs are better defensively with Kawhi on the bench

Kawhi has been on the bench for like only 200 minutes, most of it the garbagiest of minutes.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like I know you're being dramatic to emphasis how people criticizing the Warriors this early are being dramatic, but you realize the Pacer's loving suck, right?

The Pacers suck but looking for Warriors negatives after a blowout makes about as much sense as trading George Hill for Jeff Teague

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Also holy poo poo the Pacers have already lost by 20 or more 5 times this season.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Pacers beat the hell out of the Clippers twice this season so I can't talk poo poo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like I know you're being dramatic to emphasis how people criticizing the Warriors this early are being dramatic, but you realize the Pacer's loving suck, right?

I know Dejan and I picked them for biggest trainwreck on Zogo's poll and I'd be interested to see who else did, too. Poor PG

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

I know Dejan and I picked them for biggest trainwreck on Zogo's poll and I'd be interested to see who else did, too. Poor PG

I know I didn't and I really should have known better. "They have Paul George, that should be enough to make the playoffs in the east!"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

I know I didn't and I really should have known better. "They have Paul George, that should be enough to make the playoffs in the east!"

They still might make the playoffs.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wizards are a bigger trainwreck imho

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Intruder posted:

I think Bashez raises a good point in that regardless of Timmy it makes no sense the Spurs are better defensively with Kawhi on the bench

LMA also has a similar on/off. Kawhi leaving isn't making the defense better, their bench defense is just really good compared to bench offenses. For what it's worth, their bench offense looks like it's not very good offensively though.

Bashez posted:

I believe the stat is that the Spurs had the best defense in the league last year with Duncan on the bench. The defense wasn't all him last year. Going from Duncan to Gasol has been a downgrade though.

That is not true, Duncan's BPM was almost 5 points difference, last year he didn't show up on RPM for some reason, but the year before he was one of the top guys in +/- when you account for teammates and opponents. He didn't play a ton of minutes, but it takes a load off your defense when someone can come in and reliably play ++ defense for 20 minutes a game.

Also, and this is just a pet peeve, but avoid comparing lineup ORTG with team ORTG. The Spurs don't have the best defense in the league when Kawhi is off the floor because you are comparing one lineup config against team averages. Every team has a lineup that is "the best in the league" and "worst in the league" if you use that criteria. You are right that the Spurs lineup with Kawhi isn't very good defensively though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah, it's kind of sad. They really need to trade Wall. They could get a ton for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, it's kind of sad. They really need to trade Wall. They could get a ton for him.

They might even get a prospect that might become as good as John Wall!

I know what your saying but I think Wall is good enough they can try to rebuild around him without cratering to the floor, unless they can get a Love-like offer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/806148842563452928

Know your strengths. Love you, Klay.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

They might even get a prospect that might become as good as John Wall!

I know what your saying but I think Wall is good enough they can try to rebuild around him without cratering to the floor, unless they can get a Love-like offer.

The team is terrible, they have no tradable assets outside of John Wall, Bradley Beal, and their own draft picks, and the team is going to have like 6-7 million dollars of capspace for the next two seasons, which isn't even enough to sign Mathew Dellavadova.

They are really, really bad, and if they suck for two more years and John Walls contract comes up there is literally no way he resigns. What avenue to contending do you honestly see that they have?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Nah, most people spent the offseason talking about how the Pacers improved big time. This thread was full of similar sentiments, too. I don't really think anyone thought the Wizards improved, could be wrong

The Wizards are a worse team than the Pacers but I think it was kind of expected, unless you thought a double knee surgery point guard and broken SG were going to light the league up. John Wall's contract envy is ruining the boys and Scott Brooks looks like a human wedgie. Blow it up

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I think a lot of these teams are just playing chicken in regards to blowing it up. Wizards are probably hoping they win the Boogie/PG/Jimmy Butler/CJ/Dragic/Millsap/Gallinari/Knight(lol) sweepstakes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think a lot of these teams are just playing chicken in regards to blowing it up. Wizards are probably hoping they win the Boogie/PG/Jimmy Butler/CJ/Dragic/Millsap/Gallinari/Knight(lol) sweepstakes.

They will have to blow poo poo up to afford a free agent. Porter, who is shooting 50/40 with 8 boards a game is a free agent. If they want to contend they have to retain him. He's going to get 15-20 million a year. At that point you're caping yourself out for 4 seasons pretty much.

To afford anyone this offseason, they are going to have to hold off on signing porter (which someone can gently caress them over because he is a restricted free agent) and move Gortat and Morris or Nicholson, and renounce the rights of Trey burke

Since Nicholson is virtually worthless, you're probably dumping Gortat and Morris. This means that they have about ~28 million in cap space to work with, which is enough capspace to max out Paul Milsap, who is the only free agent that they have even a slight chance of landing. Oh, and they will have to make sure they are taking no salary back from any of these trades as well!.

Gives them two million dollars to sign some garbage, and then their lineup is Wall/Beal/Porter/Milsap/Mahimni with a bench of Kelly Oubre, Jason Smith, Andrew Nicholson and whatever rookies and/or bad old guys they trick into coming. That's not really an exciting place to be if you're the wizards, and that bench is easily the worst in the league.

Mind you, this is only if they convince an actually good free agent to come. If they are 30-52 at the end of the year that's gonna be pretty goddamn tough to do.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2016

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rick posted:

Spurs. They're big, they defend well, they spread the floor, can run the floor if they really want to, and most of all they rebound so they can generate a lot of extra possessions for their offense and limit possessions for the Warriors.

Clippers, maybe, if they can do what they were doing early, later in the season. A big team that defends and scores in clips is certainly not something the Warriors want to see. Although they currently seem to have forgotten this stuff.

I also still really like the Cavs, they pretty sneakily figured out how to involve Kevin Love in their offense finally and their defense in the playoffs is proven.

Cavs are pretty blatantly coasting through the season like a Spurs team where they probably aren't giving you much beyond like an 80-85% effort every night right now too. Smart, and they're still somehow destroying the east.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MEANWHILE, BACK ON COWBOY TROY'S RANCH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgUmelpWCo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MC3m7AlEN8

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The power of the serge green friendship https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/806175774273376256

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nah, most people spent the offseason talking about how the Pacers improved big time. This thread was full of similar sentiments, too. I don't really think anyone thought the Wizards improved, could be wrong

The Wizards are a worse team than the Pacers but I think it was kind of expected, unless you thought a double knee surgery point guard and broken SG were going to light the league up. John Wall's contract envy is ruining the boys and Scott Brooks looks like a human wedgie. Blow it up

I can't believe I let Nate McMillian sucker me again.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I guess we can definitely know that Scott Brooks is a terrible coach and not flip flop back and forth on the issue like we did last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Donuts skipped his physical with the Rockets and is refusing to report to the team

What a mess

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Paul Zuvella posted:

They will have to blow poo poo up to afford a free agent. Porter, who is shooting 50/40 with 8 boards a game is a free agent. If they want to contend they have to retain him. He's going to get 15-20 million a year. At that point you're caping yourself out for 4 seasons pretty much.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/806176716104286208

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everytime I watched Aaron Gordon I thought he was kind of a highlight machine that seemed really bad at playing his position (especially on defense). Jeff Green has made a career of sucking you into thinking he is a star, but at least he's generally not lost on the court.

I dunno. Maybe start with not playing Aaron Gordon at the 3.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Intruder posted:

Donuts skipped his physical with the Rockets and is refusing to report to the team

What a mess

What the gently caress happened here? There seems like way too much acrimony in this player/team relationship. Did the Rockets try to screw him over or something? Like I don't get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remember when the Magic traded away Moe Harkless for a 2nd rounder

That same Moe Harkless who's now a good defender and shoots 38% on 3's

otis smith was not the problem

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Uh oh D-Mo's going rogue

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/806196807206367232

I can't help but feel BJ Armstrong has totally blown this entire situation for Motiejunas. If he had just signed the QO, he could be putting up numbers in D'Antoni's system and showcasing himself for other teams that he actually wants to play for. Instead, he's looking down the barrel of a 4 year contract for a team he doesn't want to play for, but unfortunately, has infinitely more leverage.

I just don't get why they sign that Nets contract if he isn't willing to play in Houston. It is an extremely team-friendly deal, they have like 4 opportunities to cut him over the next 4 years and owe nothing, why did they think that Morey would pass on that?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Libertine posted:

What the gently caress happened here? There seems like way too much acrimony in this player/team relationship. Did the Rockets try to screw him over or something? Like I don't get it.

The Rockets traded him last season (Pistons ended up failing him on the physical) and never gave him the kind of offer he was looking for this summer. He also won't be getting the kind of minutes he's looking for here since he was being used as a stretch 4 and Ryan Anderson has taken that role now

Apparently if the Rockets return him to RFA status he can't sign with the Nets for a year, and I can't see any other team taking that kind of risk on him. The only reason the Nets did is probably because they don't have a first round pick until the heat death of the universe

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

D-Mo really must think he is going to fail that physical.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hah you know what else agrees with this? RAPM (He's #19 overall) and BBR's APM (#21 in the league)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He took a physical just last week

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Nets gave him a physical and then offered him a contract that gave them a bunch of chances to opt out, I don't know if that speaks well for him

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Everytime I watched Aaron Gordon I thought he was kind of a highlight machine that seemed really bad at playing his position (especially on defense). Jeff Green has made a career of sucking you into thinking he is a star, but at least he's generally not lost on the court.

I dunno. Maybe start with not playing Aaron Gordon at the 3.

Wasn't he playing the 4 last year? Was he figuring that out and now they've moved him down to wing position to play Serge and Vucevic? Haven't watched much Magic this year

I usually expect young dudes to look kind of lost especially if you're switching his position after he started to figure it out last season.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

The Nets gave him a physical and then offered him a contract that gave them a bunch of chances to opt out, I don't know if that speaks well for him

Yeah, he is clearly not in good health. Refusing to go to the Rockets physical speaks to this because if he doesn't show then he just goes back to being a Restricted Free Agent and we start this song and dance all over again.

With the added fun that the Nets can't tender him an offer for a full year!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/806150774996615169

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Wasn't he playing the 4 last year? Was he figuring that out and now they've moved him down to wing position to play Serge and Vucevic? Haven't watched much Magic this year

I usually expect young dudes to look kind of lost especially if you're switching his position after he started to figure it out last season.

I think he's playing the 3 and the 4 this year, but the lineup quote was him alongside Serge and Vucevic, so I assume that would be Gordon at the 3.

Last year I thought he wasn't all that great either, but I've only seen 1 Magic game this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You got to figure Gordon and Hezonja are on the move next week. Hezonja probably has low value.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i think vooch is more likely to be moved than gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
monta ellis for vucevic who says no

• Locked thread