Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

oddium posted:

the best sonic songs are: toxic caves, sonic boom, and metal harbor. and live and learn obvs

3/4 aint bad i guess, toxic caves is annoying !

Lurdiak posted:

Sonic Boom is terrible you malicious liar.

badnik_placing_nofunallowed_sign dot jif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like chemical plant zone

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Toot toot sonic warrior is a better song, I agree.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I thought the metal stuff at the back of the BFG was a folding stock. You can kind of see where the trigger guard is on the bottom on the gun. Not that the world wasn't marginally improved by the mspaint drawing of Doomguy operating the BFG with his man hams.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh2WTCQZkdg

Segamusic.wav

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The ultimate counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64iK733ZNk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The doom comic shows how to hold the bfg I think you will find.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hey not everyone gets a lovingly curated wiki dedicated to their work.

Fake Edit: I wanted to know if there was indeed a Knack wiki made and of-loving-course there was one.

There is a wikia for late 90s/early 2000s Shockwave/Flash game series Lenny Loosejocks. :thumbsup:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

hmm. i'm assuming you're thinking of the game/show and not the extremely yes intro to sonic cd

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

A Sonic webcomic in 2016 that is safe for work? Now that's a weird niche with potential.

sfw I can believe. No oc though? I just don't even understand how he managed to pull that off.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
how do you make a show/subfranchise called "sonic boom" and not use the cultishly popular "sonic boom" song, or a remix, that was producedfor the series years ago

how, sega

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

The doom comic shows how to hold the bfg I think you will find.

Just looked it up and you're right

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Flying Battery Zone is an awesome jam in Sonic and Knuckles

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It's also one of the best sonic stages except it has a section with bottomless pits.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Did someone already say Lava Reef? It's v good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_4R17gYSY

The music released from Sonic Mania so far is also some top shelf stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

I like the Mirage Saloon stage music too, but I think I already posted that in last month's chat thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

"but not bad"

"but not bad"
I have informed Shigeru, and you are off of the Christmas card list.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Sonic 3 song will always be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyDc1H0GrPw

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

the best sonic songs are: toxic caves, sonic boom, and metal harbor. and live and learn obvs

Try this on for size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Ab8I30nN8

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For real though Supporting Me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

correct answer is S3&K's Doomsday Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAffWEmB3I

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of good, game-inspired music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAR9KELt4x4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't related to anything, and doesn't contribute to meaningful discussion, but Bravely Default is really good and makes me happy. Except when a character dies the same round round I kill the boss, which makes me sad...

I'm also pretty excited there's a whole 'nother game after this one.

Between having BF1 right now, FFXV soon, Bravely Default now, and Pokemon soon, my gaming plate is quite full. I don't have nearly the free time to play all of these.

Gonna try to get FFXV right after finals thought so I can play it a bunch over winter break.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

This isn't related to anything, and doesn't contribute to meaningful discussion, but Bravely Default is really good and makes me happy. Except when a character dies the same round round I kill the boss, which makes me sad...

I'm also pretty excited there's a whole 'nother game after this one.

I really loved Bravely Default. I have Bravely Second sitting around waiting for me to play it but I haven't been in a classic JRPG mood for a while. But I'm happy it'll be there when I need it. It's such a fun and satisfying game. I played on Hard and I'm glad I did, too, because I ended up really having to care about the job system and being smart about how I built my party, which is exactly what I wanted and was afraid the game wouldn't deliver. From what I've played of Bravely Second, that's still true, and it also decided to break pretty significantly from classic Final Fantasy jobs to deliver some pretty unique and fun new jobs. Most of the classic FF jobs are still there in Bravely Second, but they're all optional, while the new jobs are the ones that you get automatically and earlier, which I thought was a great move. My only real complaint about Bravely Second is that the new soundtrack isn't nearly as good as Bravely Default's.

I don't know how far you are in Bravely Default, but I'm sure you've heard that the second half can get extremely tedious if you don't come at it the right way. My advice is to turn off random encounters entirely starting in Chapter 5 and only turn them back on to grind and track down blue magic. But do all of the side quests available to you in either Chapter 5 or 6 (you don't need to do both) and definitely in both Chapters 7 and 8, which have some of the most fun boss fights in the game.

And because I can't resist giving this gameplay tip every single time: almost all of the game's most dangerous enemy attacks are physical, not magical, even if they're elemental. Dragon breaths, for example, aren't magic: they're elemental physical attacks. That means anything that blocks or evades physical attacks is significantly better than it seems and will be key to surviving the hardest boss fights.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 6, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Second is fun but a much easier game than BD1. I was on the endgame and got sidetracked by Pokemon but I'll finish it some day

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Bravely Second's random battles are a lot harder than Default's, and not in a good way, but I got around it for the couple chapters I played by just turning off random battles and then doing a little bit of grinding on easy mode whenever I found the Adventurer so I could save/tent up. It's sorta cheat-y but gently caress it, those battles were tedious.

The bosses definitely seemed easier, though, even playing on Hard again, and knowing what I do about how crazy Wizard abilities get, I'm sure the endgame fights are just going to melt when I get there.

In Default I stuck to a "no repeat jobs" rule that kept things a little interesting even when I could tear the game wide open by the end: if anyone in my party had a job as either their primary or secondary, nobody else could have it. That meant no all-Ninja teams, no multiple-Dark Knight shenanigans, etc. I still had a pretty easy time, though. Vampire/Spiritmaster Tiz, Red Mage/Salve-Maker Agnes as a BP battery, Dark Knight/Templar Ringabel, and Pirate/Swordmaster Edea. Combine that with passing around the Blood Blade's active ability so everyone self-healed on dealing damage and nothing was much of a threat. (Except a few of the Chapter 8 bonus bosses, where I actually had to change my party setup because status ailments were loving me up.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I just started chapter 5 (just got to Eternia in the Grandship). Playing on normal, which is good for me. I'm pretty bad at the game and don't seem to understand a lot of the synergy. Like, I feel like I do, but it's not apparent in my damage output. Most boss battles take me 30 minutes.

Part of it is that I just don't look closely enough at jobs. Initially I avoided Salve Maker because a class that depends on a huge variety of consumables sounded really tedious. But when I realized what the passive was, my healer more than doubled in effectiveness and I've since embraced the Salve Maker toolset.

And I just got an entertainer going, which is really sick. So now my transitory setup is something like

Pirate/Knight
Ninja/Swordmaster
Salve Maker/White Mage
Entertainer/Black Mage

Pirate/Knight is about to flip back to Knight/Pirate (I was levelling pirate) go from dps/tank to Tank
Ninja/Swordmaster is probably going to go to Valkyrie/Ninja or vice versa,
Other two are probably staying the same for a bit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I think I just started chapter 5 (just got to Eternia in the Grandship). Playing on normal, which is good for me. I'm pretty bad at the game and don't seem to understand a lot of the synergy. Like, I feel like I do, but it's not apparent in my damage output. Most boss battles take me 30 minutes.

That's Chapter 4, I'm pretty sure. You'll definitely know it when you hit the part people talk about.

Snak posted:

Part of it is that I just don't look closely enough at jobs. Initially I avoided Salve Maker because a class that depends on a huge variety of consumables sounded really tedious. But when I realized what the passive was, my healer more than doubled in effectiveness and I've since embraced the Salve Maker toolset.

Salve-Maker owns hard, especially once you get the mix that lets you double a party member's max HP.

Oh, one more Chapter 4 tip (job spoiler, not plot spoiler): when you get the last job in Chapter 4, look up a guide to finding its abilities. It's a classic Final Fantasy "Blue Mage" job and some of the very good abilities that are available in Chapter 4, like White Wind, don't show up again until like Chapter 7, so it's much easier to grab them while you can.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

That's Chapter 4, I'm pretty sure. You'll definitely know it when you hit the part people talk about.
Gotcha

quote:

Salve-Maker owns hard, especially once you get the mix that lets you double a party member's max HP.
Is that for the duration of the battle? Presumably non-stacking?

quote:

Oh, one more Chapter 4 tip (job spoiler, not plot spoiler): when you get the last job in Chapter 4, look up a guide to finding its abilities. It's a classic Final Fantasy "Blue Mage" job and some of the very good abilities that are available in Chapter 4, like White Wind, don't show up again until like Chapter 7, so it's much easier to grab them while you can.

Yeah I've been doing all the optional side-quests as I go. I'll make sure I get it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GZiAzTlP0

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not very far in The Last Guardian at all right now, but so far it's everything I wanted it to be (with the exception of triangle being the jump button for god knows what reason).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm not very far in The Last Guardian at all right now, but so far it's everything I wanted it to be (with the exception of triangle being the jump button for god knows what reason).

Wasn't triangle jump in Ico too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Is that for the duration of the battle? Presumably non-stacking?

For the duration, non-stacking. Combined with an item you'll get in a job side quest dungeon in Chapter 4, you can pretty easily become close to immortal by the time you start Chapter 5. The key to that item is knowing that you can equip a weapon, use its on-use ability, then unequip it in the same turn, and doing so lets everyone on your team do the same thing all in one round. So use the Blood Blade to cast Drain Sword on every physical attacker on the first round and enjoy fully healing yourself every time you attack.

Snak posted:

Yeah I've been doing all the optional side-quests as I go. I'll make sure I get it.

It's not just the job itself, but the blue magics. They're not marked as side quests or anything and you do have to hunt them down a bit. It's not super, super crucial--you can never permanently miss them--but getting them ASAP makes that job go from "really good" to "incredible" right away. And remember: almost all the most dangerous enemy abilities are physical, and that's true even when you're the one using them. So if you use the pseudo-Blue Mage job, give them a strong physical weapon, not a magic-boosting weapon, so they can nuke things real good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Wasn't triangle jump in Ico too?

Probably

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

Triangle is jump because X is descend. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hesitating to buy The Last Guardian because I know it's going to make me cry like a little baby no matter what the ending is. Like, it could have a fully happy ending for all I know and I bet it'd still make me cry.

But also I get all teary-eyed at the end of Final Fantasy IX so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Am I alone in not being interested in TLG, like, at all

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I was interested in it like 8 years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Am I alone in not being interested in TLG, like, at all

I'm interested in it but I'm not particularly rushing out to buy it. I find the concept less interesting than ICO/SotC.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You're not even alone in making a post like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it was a trick question i'm always alone

• Locked thread