Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Orlando seems like a team that needs to make some deals but I feel like they are probably going to get robbed in any trade they make because their GM sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Libertine posted:

Orlando seems like a team that needs to make some deals but I feel like they are probably going to get robbed in any trade they make because their GM sucks rear end.

They gave away:
Tobias Harris
Channing Frye
Moe Harkless
Oladipo

And came away with after all that:
Serge Ibaka
2 2nd round picks

what a deal

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, the Magic are run like poo poo. What they really need to do is fire their GM before he ruins the team more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

They gave away:
Tobias Harris
Channing Frye
Moe Harkless
Oladipo

And came away with after all that:
Serge Ibaka
2 2nd round picks

what a deal

Don't forget the cap space to sign Jeff Green

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Five and half years ago, a call had come into Myers inside the Warriors’ facility. Within 48 hours of the 2011 draft, the San Antonio Spurs had flown in Thompson for a clandestine workout and meeting with Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford.

Myers had known the Spurs were aggressively pushing for a trade into the Toronto Raptors’ fifth spot to draft Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas, a move the Warriors wanted to make themselves. Short of that deal, Myers had a sneaking suspicion that the Spurs were moving toward a Plan B: cutting a deal to bound over the Warriors’ 11th overall pick and take Thompson.

Golden State believed this, too: At No. 10, the Milwaukee Bucks wanted to draft Thompson as well.

bullet. dodged.
no offense THE NORTH
I guess everything worked out in the end though. :)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Apparently DMo's contract is 4/37 only if he's in Brooklyn. The Rockets match means it's 4/31

What in the actual gently caress was BJ Armstrong thinking?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The end of Portland's bench currently has an average PER of 23 and 0.213 WS/48.

So who wants Napier, Layman, Quarterman and Connaughton in exchange for your star player?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Intruder posted:

Apparently DMo's contract is 4/37 only if he's in Brooklyn. The Rockets match means it's 4/31

What in the actual gently caress was BJ Armstrong thinking?

What? Do you have a source? Poison Pills usually don't exist for full on RFAs like this, and I've never see a, what, reverse poison pill?

Edit: Oh Bonus clauses, yeah those don't transfer. So it's 4/31 non-guarenteed. BJ decided to play chicken I guess.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The end of Portland's bench currently has an average PER of 23 and 0.213 WS/48.

So who wants Napier, Layman, Quarterman and Connaughton in exchange for your star player?

trade them for rudy gay or carmelo tbh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lockback posted:

Edit: Oh Bonus clauses, yeah those don't transfer. So it's 4/31 non-guarenteed. BJ decided to play chicken I guess.

Thanks, I didn't have the details on how that worked, someone posted a tweet elsewhere without any detail

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Intruder posted:

Thanks, I didn't have the details on how that worked, someone posted a tweet elsewhere without any detail

Right, so Nets included Bonuses that are attainable (which I think mean milestones that the player has achieved in the previous 2 seasons or something), but those don't need to be matched in a RFA. Attainable bonuses count as the contract for cap purposes.

This is really rare for that reason in an RFA match situation, and in normal contracts the achievable bonuses are not something people usually care about. This looks like a hugely dumb move by DMo and BJ.

Here are the terms. There is no reason Houston capitulates here. Worst case they just do nothing then cut him next year and DMo loses a year of playing time and doesn't get any money.

quote:

The Nets signed Motiejunas to a partially guaranteed four-year deal that could’ve been worth $35 million. The $4 million-plus in attainable bonus clauses in the Nets’ offer sheet weren’t applicable in the Rockets’ match. Ultimately, the base deal that Motiejunas would have had with Houston was worth $31 million if the Rockets picked up every option over the course of the four-year deal.

Once Motiejunas was unable to reach an agreement on a contract extension with the Rockets this summer, he could’ve signed a $4.4 million qualifying offer, played out the season and become an unrestricted free agent in July.

The deal had guaranteed Motiejunas $5 million, with the Rockets having to decide by Jan. 10 whether to pay him another $3.5 million for the remainder of the 2016-17 season.

By March 1, Houston had to pick up the option for $9 million owed to Motiejunas for the 2017-18 season. The final two years of the contract are non-guaranteed, which means the team can cut Motiejunas without paying the balance of the contract. Before the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons, there’s a July 10 trigger date to make a decision on Motiejunas’ deal.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I get why both the Rockets and DMo are doing this. Morey should have just let him go, he clearly doesn't want to be there and would probably hurt their locker room. I guess he just can't stand to view a player as anything other than an asset in this kind of situation.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Strong armed by BJ Armstrong

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I get why both the Rockets and DMo are doing this. Morey should have just let him go, he clearly doesn't want to be there and would probably hurt their locker room. I guess he just can't stand to view a player as anything other than an asset in this kind of situation.

That's kind of unfair. I'm pretty sure almost every team in the league has matched RFAs, its part of the CBA and something the players and owners agreed to. Calling out Morey as some heartless monster for using the rules the players agreed to build the best team he can (aka, his job) seems weird to me.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

That is not true, Duncan's BPM was almost 5 points difference, last year he didn't show up on RPM for some reason, but the year before he was one of the top guys in +/- when you account for teammates and opponents. He didn't play a ton of minutes, but it takes a load off your defense when someone can come in and reliably play ++ defense for 20 minutes a game.

Also, and this is just a pet peeve, but avoid comparing lineup ORTG with team ORTG. The Spurs don't have the best defense in the league when Kawhi is off the floor because you are comparing one lineup config against team averages. Every team has a lineup that is "the best in the league" and "worst in the league" if you use that criteria. You are right that the Spurs lineup with Kawhi isn't very good defensively though.

With Duncan off the floor the Spurs had a 100.9 defensive rating, still good enough for best in the league. It's just weird as gently caress to have such a collapse defensively like this with all signs pointing to it being Kawhi.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Strong armed by BJ Armstrong

Thanks Obama

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I can't believe that other GMs/owners would be too happy with Morey if he let a player just strongarm his way out of his RFA status

It could also hurt the Rockets ability to deal with future RFAs

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

That's kind of unfair. I'm pretty sure almost every team in the league has matched RFAs, its part of the CBA and something the players and owners agreed to. Calling out Morey as some heartless monster for using the rules the players agreed to build the best team he can (aka, his job) seems weird to me.

Yeah, if Dmo really wanted to be off the team, the right choice was to take the QO and then enjoy his inevitable trade at the deadline after telling the rockets he won't resign.

He wanted his cake and eat it too. He wanted to make as much money as possible AND choose where he played. On top of that, the guy has huge injury concerns that complicate matters further.

Dmo and BJ armstrong are to blame for this situation, not the Rockets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

Like I said, I get why both sides are doing what they are doing. I just think that when your main reason for matching someone that clearly doesn't want to be there is something like "we might be able to trade him, who cares if he wants minutes we can always cut him next year." You should maybe not match that guy. DMo also just wants to further his career in the best way possible for himself. Skipping the physical is extremely unprofessional so it's not like DMo is handling this perfectly. It's just a dumb situation all around.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 6, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Then he should have signed the QO. There was basically no way any team was going to give him a deal the Rockets would be unwilling to match

e: You can argue RFA as a whole kind of sucks and screws the players and I'll nod and probably mostly agree with you, but the Rockets aren't exceptionally evil for using the process even if Morey does view players more as assets than people

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 6, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Players don't get to decide they are above the restricted free agency process.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Quadrapellegiance posted:

trade them for rudy gay or carmelo tbh

They need an interior stopper, not whatever Gay and Carmelo are at this point.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Bashez posted:

With Duncan off the floor the Spurs had a 100.9 defensive rating, still good enough for best in the league. It's just weird as gently caress to have such a collapse defensively like this with all signs pointing to it being Kawhi.

How many minutes has Kawhi played with Pau and LMA?

Maybe it's more that teams are realizing you can put either of those two dudes in the pnr blender and Kawhi has to compensate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Doesn't DMO have a sort of no-trade clause or something? I remember hearing that the rockets matching means the only out of his contract is basically cutting him before the playoffs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spite posted:

How many minutes has Kawhi played with Pau and LMA?

Maybe it's more that teams are realizing you can put either of those two dudes in the pnr blender and Kawhi has to compensate.

This sounds like a job for NBAwowy.com

edit: I'm on nbawowy.com and I have not figured out the answer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tae posted:

Doesn't DMO have a sort of no-trade clause or something? I remember hearing that the rockets matching means the only out of his contract is basically cutting him before the playoffs.

He can't be traded for three months which takes him past the trade deadline. That was why the Rockets set the deadline for him to make a deal with them, after that negotiations stopped

Not a good look for the team admittedly

e: three months with his permission. A full year until they can trade him regardless of his permission

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/miami_kiid/status/806195931314094080

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who has touched more balls? Draymond Green over his whole career or Klay last night?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FIBA rules prevent DMo from playing in Europe now that he signed an offer sheet

Man, I don't know where he goes from here

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

FIBA rules prevent DMo from playing in Europe now that he signed an offer sheet

Man, I don't know where he goes from here

Stops being a baby and plays for the Rockets.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Yeah gently caress he's so good off ball, his cuts are unreal.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Fire Barack Obama, hire Dan Fegan, somehow get a max contract playing for some team next year.

e: He didn't show up to his physical lol. And just when I was enjoying some drama free Rockets basketball.

https://twitter.com/ChronSports/status/806196285732745216

quote:

"We have our rights," Motiejunas' agent B.J. Armstrong said. "We're not going to show up. We'll see what happens. We'll see what the Rockets do. We have our rights."

loving brilliant

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Either DMo and his agent are incredibly dumb or they think DMo is likely done playing basketball professionally because of his injuries. That contract looks like a "hey I get paid in off the chance I can stay healthy" deal.

Brooklyn had to know that Houston would match. I wonder if Brooklyn signed DMo as a favor to BJ Armstrong. But BJ Armstrong isn't exactly a power player in the NBA. I mean look at this client list.

http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/BJ-Armstrong/102

I guess Brooklyn is going to go hard after Draymond in 4 years?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Getting in early on the Bruno Caboclo free agent frenzy

e: So the Rockets can return him to free agency where he won't be able to sign with Brooklyn.

Everyone on the Rockets has been pretty conciliatory and nice about this whole thing, I'm pretty sure it's just him wanting more money than he could possibly get combined with BJ Armstrong being an idiot

Jarrett Jack weighs in

https://twitter.com/Jarrettjack03/status/806238171046494208

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Apparently Utah is making a better offer than the Brooklyn one so I guess DMo is hoping to return to RFA so he can take that one instead

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Spacebump posted:

I just think that when your main reason for matching someone that clearly doesn't want to be there is something like "we might be able to trade him, who cares if he wants minutes we can always cut him next year." You should maybe not match that guy. DMo also just wants to further his career in the best way possible for himself.

Seems disingenuous to interpret the situation through the lens of "the Rockets are only matching to flip him to some other team asap", I think they genuinely want him on the team. He performed extremely well in 14-15 when Howard missed half the season. If he's healthy, he should look even better in D'Antoni's system. And they aren't going to bury him on the bench either, Capela's averaging 23 minutes a game and Ryan Anderson 32, the rest of the minutes at the 4 and 5 are up for grabs for him, Montrezl Harrell, and ancient Nene, so he could easily end up averaging 20-25 minutes a night if his back is healthy.

EDIT:

Intruder posted:

Apparently Utah is making a better offer than the Brooklyn one so I guess DMo is hoping to return to RFA so he can take that one instead

Why the hell did his agent sign the Brooklyn deal if there was the possibility of a better one floating around out there? I legitimately feel bad for D-Mo, his agent should be way better than this.

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 6, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Either DMo and his agent are incredibly dumb or they think DMo is likely done playing basketball professionally because of his injuries. That contract looks like a "hey I get paid in off the chance I can stay healthy" deal.

Brooklyn had to know that Houston would match. I wonder if Brooklyn signed DMo as a favor to BJ Armstrong. But BJ Armstrong isn't exactly a power player in the NBA. I mean look at this client list.

http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/BJ-Armstrong/102

I guess Brooklyn is going to go hard after Draymond in 4 years?

Brooklyn signed the lowest risk contract I've ever seen for a player like that. Especially given their cap situation. If DMo was totally done Brooklyn loses $5mil and he has no cap hit next year. Thats why Houston didn't even let the ink dry before matching, any team that thinks DMO has a 10% chance of playing again (which includes Houston since they offered him the QO) would want him on that contract.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

If this actually is what is happening then there might be a bigger problem here. I'd imagine the league will come down hard on both Dmo and BJ if he is refusing to go to camp because he has a better deal in place.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

Brooklyn signed the lowest risk contract I've ever seen for a player like that. Especially given their cap situation. If DMo was totally done Brooklyn loses $5mil and he has no cap hit next year. Thats why Houston didn't even let the ink dry before matching, any team that thinks DMO has a 10% chance of playing again (which includes Houston since they offered him the QO) would want him on that contract.

I just realized DMo is probably going to pretend to be hurt for the next couple months so Houston will cut him, he will get his $5m and then be able to sign elsewhere.

Also I'm pretty sure that if DMo is cut he could sign with Brooklyn. I think the rule is just for trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sheriff posted:

Why the hell did his agent sign the Brooklyn deal if there was the possibility of a better one floating around out there? I legitimately feel bad for D-Mo, his agent should be way better than this.

The offer wasn't made until after the offer sheet was signed. Keep in mind I'm going off second hand information here so I don't know how much of this is actually true

Paul Zuvella posted:

If this actually is what is happening then there might be a bigger problem here. I'd imagine the league will come down hard on both Dmo and BJ if he is refusing to go to camp because he has a better deal in place.

I don't know if there's actually a rule about it in place though. If we're going to say that the team is using its ability to match an offer sheet to keep him here against his will, we also have to say that if there's nothing prohibiting this then the player and agent are using their leverage to get a better offer

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/806211886555561984

• Locked thread