Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

Stop being reasonable, I want to keep being mad about webcomics :mad:

But yeah, psychopathic was an exaggeration. It's definitely stressed out and fed up to be sure but at the same time...there's definitely something off about a person unable to control themselves like that.

I've been fortunate enough that nothing remotely like "watching someone take a flame thrower to my friend" has ever happened to me. But if I ever saw someone kill a friend of mine, I think I would be furious, and I find it really weird you don't have any empathy towards Allison there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

From a storytelling perspective, this whole "Supergirl's settling for ME!" nerd wish fulfillment is more offensive than anything Alison did to flamethrower dude.

What a garbage webcomic.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
clevin

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Patrick Spens posted:

I've been fortunate enough that nothing remotely like "watching someone take a flame thrower to my friend" has ever happened to me. But if I ever saw someone kill a friend of mine, I think I would be furious, and I find it really weird you don't have any empathy towards Allison there.

Like I've been trying to say, my initial comment was an exaggeration and I can feel empathy for someone in that situation, but I'm looking at her killing the dude as part of the whole scene, not just on its own. There's nothing wrong with stopping a terrorist.

Pretend there's no superpowers here and it's a dude or lady with a shotgun. They stopped the terrorist! Hooray! Then they decided to not even bother checking on their friend or the other doctors in the room, to haul the corpse outside and threaten protesters by waving the shotgun in their faces and yelling about how they want to kill them. She's a unkillable pent up ball of stress who has no issue threatening to kill people if they annoy her too much, like with that one dude with dreads. And by killing that dude in the heat of the moment, she's showing she has no issue with actually following up on that threat if she feels like the situation calls for it, justified or not, because as she helpfully demonstrated by literally eating bullets, no one can stop her.

If I haven't explained what I mean by this point I give up because I don't know how else to say this.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Falstaff posted:

From a storytelling perspective, this whole "Supergirl's settling for ME!" nerd wish fulfillment is more offensive than anything Alison did to flamethrower dude.

A-Goddamn-Men

Wrist Watch posted:

If I haven't explained what I mean by this point I give up because I don't know how else to say this.

So I'm going to say this again, because it apparently didn't click the first time. I don't think Allison did the right thing. She shouldn't have killed the flamethrower dude, and she shouldn't have threatened the protesters. I don't actually read her as threatening dreadlocks guy, but she shouldn't have yelled what she did at him either. Our disagreement isn't that I think she was right and you think she was wrong. It's how we interact with and interpret her wrongness.

Also, if you haven't read the bit that comes immediately after the hospital scene, I really recommend you do. It's easily the best part of the comic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Falstaff posted:

What a garbage webcomic.

Yeah. II still think the comic has/had its good points, but there's literally nothing more to Clevin''s character than awkwardly asking out Alison in exactly the same roundabout way every time, to the extent I thought the entire point was to contrast with Max actually showing romantic interest.

But then everything about that went off the rails in every possible way, so here we are.

Patrick Spens posted:

Also, if you haven't read the bit that comes immediately after the hospital scene, I really recommend you do. It's easily the best part of the comic.

This is extremely true.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:downs:

My bad. I'm the guy that can't read. It's me.

Also w/r/t threatening that one guy I think we're talking about different pages. There's the one where she yelled at him in the hospital room but then also this page like two strips before she kills the other dude (would embed but I'm on mobile): http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-62-2/

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. Yeah that's pretty dang threatening.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

:allears:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
At least this reminds me of all the dumb stuff Aaron Diaz has done, which is far more entertaining than SPF currently is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Strong Pemale Frotagonist

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Strong Penile Function

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Serry Pible Fellowship

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pierson posted:

At least this reminds me of all the dumb stuff Aaron Diaz has done, which is far more entertaining than SPF currently is.

With diaz it unintentionally interesting. Like trying to spot just what anime or scifi movie he was watching when he did a page.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
"This is somehow the biggest mistake I have ever made and I just did something uncomfortably analogous to rape a few hours ago."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

groosss I wanna die now

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Everything's coming up clevin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew it. If I wear my sweet cutaway collar shirt/vest combo just a bit harder, the girl I like will also smooch me.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my webcomic

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I am the cloud of steam exiting Clevin's mouth

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am in the shape a prone heart

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They will gently caress, and Clevin will earn the nickname Diamond Dick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cause it got compressed into a tiny mass?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

groosss I wanna die now

I can't be the only one who suspects Ostertag originally designed Allison as her quasi-self-insert, right? Short haired, big nosed, college aged lesbian woman with an average build? And Clevin is obviously the author's Gary Stu, which makes this scene hilarious to me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Typical Pubbie posted:

I can't be the only one who suspects Ostertag originally designed Allison as her quasi-self-insert, right? Short haired, big nosed, college aged lesbian woman with an average build? And Clevin is obviously the author's Gary Stu, which makes this scene hilarious to me.

He is going to pop the question to Ostertag soon.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
That panel was a cry for help.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Zerilan posted:

Wait who? What?

Violet was her lovely roommate that kept using Alison for her popularity, and was pretty much a caricature of everything wrong with the social justice movement.

Falstaff posted:

What a garbage webcomic.

Yeah, I'm doubling down on betting that the author takes money to change plot points or something because this is total pandering and he'd be a sucker not to cash in on it at this point.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Synthbuttrange posted:

cause it got compressed into a tiny mass?

I appreciated this post.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
of course. Of course it would be clevin.

of course.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On the topic of virginity how much would you like to bet the comic gets into the details of Allison's iron-hard hymen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

On the topic of virginity how much would you like to bet the comic gets into the details of Allison's iron-hard hymen.

They'll have to have sex while flying at the speed of sound in order to weaken her invulnerability powers and break it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

Ah, the transition to "uncomfortably sexual", a true webcomic milestone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It is inevitable, they always eventually Go There

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I hate this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ManlyGrunting posted:

Ah, the transition to "uncomfortably sexual", a true webcomic milestone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:golfclap:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Holy poo poo the comments are arguing whether or not it's okay to use "high functioning sociopath" as an insult. :eyepop:

Granted some of the ones a bit lower are actually thoughtful but holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ManlyGrunting posted:

Holy poo poo the comments are arguing whether or not it's okay to use "high functioning sociopath" as an insult. :eyepop:

It's a compliment!

• Locked thread