Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

When did Brady go out for the year?

I'd forgotten they also went through the Brady suspension without Gronk, so if he's the most important that's even more fuel for Belichick CoTY.

Unless this is a stealth Matthew Slater post, in which case I can only applaud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blitz7x posted:

6 of the Raiders 10 wins have been 4th quarter comebacks and Del Rio should have won CotY after that 2 point conversion to take the lead over the Saints in game 1

Definitely like when coaches are ballsy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

TheChirurgeon posted:

Caldwell never deserves to be Coach of the Year. At best, his teams win in spite of him.

See, I'm not so sure. He may be an emotionless golem on the field, but there's something to be said for the fact that the team does not give up, and is well-prepared to perform in comeback situations. A lot of that is obviously on Stafford, but Caldwell really does deserve credit where it's due.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

6 of the Raiders 10 wins have been 4th quarter comebacks

Alone, not the best argument for Del Rio.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

yeah i would say the raiders having to win from behind in the 4th quarter is a bit of an indictment in the gameplan tbh

bad defense aside del rio is still the best coach the raiders have had since hue jackson

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I actually looked up the LA statutes, and it seems that manslaughter is the appropriate charge:

quote:

§31. Manslaughter

A. Manslaughter is:

(1) A homicide which would be murder under either Article 30 (first degree murder) or Article 30.1 (second degree murder), but the offense is committed in sudden passion or heat of blood immediately caused by provocation sufficient to deprive an average person of his self-control and cool reflection. Provocation shall not reduce a homicide to manslaughter if the jury finds that the offender's blood had actually cooled, or that an average person's blood would have cooled, at the time the offense was committed;

Max sentence is 40 years.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2016

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The only person whose blood cooled is McKnight.

Edit: RIP Rashaan Salaam. I called you Rashaan Salami because you had a funny name and I was 10.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/806228152787865600

Bad week for bust RB's, geez

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Has anyone seen Ki-Jana Carter?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Trent Richardson watch is on rule of threes.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
49ers fans have resorted to buying me mean pictures

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Acebuckeye13 posted:

See, I'm not so sure. He may be an emotionless golem on the field, but there's something to be said for the fact that the team does not give up, and is well-prepared to perform in comeback situations. A lot of that is obviously on Stafford, but Caldwell really does deserve credit where it's due.

I will forever point to the London game vs. Atlanta as exhibit A for why Caldwell is a bad coach. From Grantland:

The Lions get the ball back on their own 7-yard line with 1:38 left, and Stafford quickly moves them to the Atlanta 31-yard line, at which point he spikes the ball on first down with 34 seconds left. From here, it’s a 49-yard field goal on a soggy, subpar surface for Matt Prater, who had been shaky for the Lions since arriving as the team’s third kicker. Because he once hit 50-plus-yarders regularly in the dream kicking environment in Denver, he is “in range.”

• With no timeouts and 34 seconds left, the Lions take the ball on second-and-10 and … hand the ball to Joique Bell up the gut for a 1-yard gain. In just about every appreciable way, this move decreases Detroit’s chances of winning.

• The Falcons respond by calling timeout. I actually screamed. The Lions have had one of the worst kicking games in NFL history this season, they’ve sliced your defense apart when they’ve thrown the ball in the second half and yet are trying to settle for a long field goal, and you stop the clock for them? Why? The only reason I can imagine you would stop the clock would be in the hopes that you can get the ball back with time to score, which is ironic, given that the Falcons threw away an opportunity to try to score at the end of the first half out of self-satisfaction.

• Even more incredibly, the Lions run the ball again! Bell runs up the middle for 1 yard with 24 seconds left. Again, how does this make sense? The play’s going to end with about 18 seconds left. In that time frame, you’re going to run your offense off the field, run the special teams unit onto the field, get everyone lined up, and then successfully try a long field goal? If Bell runs for 15 yards, he takes enough time off the clock and the ball is sufficiently far enough from the sideline that the game’s probably over. If the Lions commit a penalty on offense, just as the Falcons did earlier, the game’s probably over. The best-case scenario is that you gain 4 yards and have to sprint your terrible special teams unit onto the field.

• Or you get bailed out because Atlanta defensive lineman Paul Soliai somehow commits a holding penalty. Defensive linemen never get called for holding penalties. By my count, there had been three accepted holding penalties on defensive linemen heading into Week 8. Think about how egregious this hold had to be to get called with the game on the line. And it was the right call.

• The Lions, still insisting they really want to burn as much clock as possible, give up a yard by kneeling on first down before spiking the ball on second down, leaving five seconds on the clock for Prater. The Detroit special teams unit — the same unit that was going to run on the field with a ticking clock and kick a game-winning field goal — surely knows the plan and has been ready to hop onto the field for more than a full minute by now.

• Somehow, the Lions ice themselves. Prater misses a 43-yard field goal, but that waiting death squad of ninja assassins masquerading as the Detroit special teams can’t get the ball snapped in time, producing a delay of game penalty. Even though most offensive penalties inside of two minutes produce a 10-second runoff (which would have ended the game) and Prater attempted and missed the field goal (which also would have ended the game), because the penalty technically took place before the snap, there’s nothing Smith can do about the whole thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shangri-Law School posted:

So who's gonna be Coach of the Year? I'm thinking of Del Rio, Garrett (!), Belichick, Reid, Caldwell (!!!) and Mularkey (!!!!!) as the most likely.

Zimmer loving deserves it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/806231836947021824

Uhhh, I guess let's hope for sudden heart attack instead of suicide

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I didn't know I needed this in my life: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/12/6/13853768/nfl-video-marshawn-lynch-beast-quake-iguana-video-mashup

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I will forever point to the London game vs. Atlanta as exhibit A for why Caldwell is a bad coach. From Grantland:

Dude, trigger that poo poo!

e:

Although this is a perfect example of Mike_Smith_HC.txt. Mike Smith was out coached by Jim Caldwell.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I loved that London game so much

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

49ers fans have resorted to buying me mean pictures

Probably a better investment than tickets to 49ers games, I'll bet it brings them more happiness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Caldwell is better than I gave him credit for when he was first hired, but honestly it would be more appropriate for JBC to win coordinator of the year if such a thing existed. This team has looked completely different since he took over halfway through last year.

Also Stafford deserves some MVP buzz but you're fooling yourself if you think he'll win it, short of Detroit winning its next four games in a rout.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Caldwell never deserves to be Coach of the Year. At best, his teams win in spite of him.

I don't know, everyone is loving Westworld right now so Caldwell might get some more looks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

And we won that game, so I don't see what you're complaining about :colbert:

(Also that game was two years ago and Caldwell's gotten much better at managing the clock since then)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Jets cut CJ Spiller.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good gently caress Spiller for taking reps from Bilal Powell. Also gently caress our coaching staff for taking reps from Bilal Powell.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Trent Richardson watch is on rule of threes.

god reached out and said "Come here my son" and Trent hit the wrong hole

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

:dogbutton:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Good gently caress Spiller for taking reps from Bilal Powell. Also gently caress our coaching staff for taking reps from Bilal Powell.

Did you guys promote someone from the practice squad? I kinda doubt Knile Davis will be cut on a short week but it's possible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't know, everyone is loving Westworld right now so Caldwell might get some more looks.

*looks at game plan*

"This doesn't looks like anything to me."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Trent tried to go toward the light but only got 3.3 yards there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Trent tried to go toward the light but only got 3.3 yards there.

that's loving generous

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Forte had a 40 yard catch and run and not one more catch for the rest of the game. That is worse than Spillers 2 carries.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It was pretty surreal to see, in 2016, Chan Gailey telling Ryan Fitzpatrick to hand the ball off to CJ Spiller.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
And Huff gets another chance:

https://twitter.com/BuccaneersPR/status/806241819407372288

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
After Joique's Bears run it looks like he's back on the Lions. 3 players placed on IR.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...ign-joique-bell

quote:

The Detroit Lions have the day off, but the front office is working diligently. The Lions announced five formal moves on Tuesday, shuffling around major parts of their roster.

As expected, the Lions officially announced that Quandre Diggs has been placed on injured reserve, ending his 2016 season. As the earlier report said, Diggs suffered a pectoral injury during the Saints game. The Lions also confirmed the signing of Asa Jackson from the Ravens practice squad, as earlier reported on Tuesday.

In addition to Diggs, the Lions also placed Armonty Bryant on IR. Bryant had just returned from a three-game suspension to provide some much needed pass rush and played fairly well in his return. The Lions list his injury as a knee problem, although there was no apparent injury during the game itself.

Finally, the Lions decided to end Brandon Pettigrew’s season. Pettigrew returned to practice a few weeks ago after starting the year on the PUP list. Detroit had 21 days to decide whether to activate Pettigrew to the active roster or end his season. They chose the later. Technically, Pettigrew is on the reserve/non-football injury list, but it basically serves the same purpose as the IR list.

Detroit also decided to bring back running back Joique Bell. I suggested this may happen on Monday, after Dwayne Washington suffered what appeared to be a somewhat serious injury against the Saints. Bell rejoins the Lions after an offseason of back-and-forth negotiating talks fell through. Bell played a little with the Bears earlier this year, but was released by the team in October. Now he’ll get a chance to face off against Chicago this week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mr. Nice! posted:

I actually looked up the LA statutes, and it seems that manslaughter is the appropriate charge:

Max sentence is 40 years.

This was kind of what I was thinking when I asked about LA having a "weird" system. I think its hilarious that lawyers go to school for three years in order to carefully word and discern legalese in laws, suits, letters, etc., but here have a law that talks about the cooling of blood being a standard for whether something is murder or not.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

we have to continue talking about this photo of Dwayne Bowe.

did anyone mention that they named the kid Rayn Bowe?

Cuz that kid is not going to like middle school.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I tend to think mike smith got a raw deal in Atlanta, but my god that London game.

Also rumors swirling cam was benched because he took a bunch of team mates to a strip club the night before a "team building" breakfast.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

kiimo posted:

did anyone mention that they named the kid Rayn Bowe?

Cuz that kid is not going to like middle school.

Kid's going to turn out gay, isn't he?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Also rumors swirling cam was benched because he took a bunch of team mates to a strip club the night before a "team building" breakfast.

Would make a hell of a lot more sense than the tie thing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

D'Qwell Jackson got suspended for 4 games for PEDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pubic works project posted:

D'Qwell Jackson got suspended for 4 games for PEDs.

Wait I thought PED's made you good???

Maybe this will encourage them to move Geathers to LB

• Locked thread