Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

I guess I don't suppose I can blame them, I was about ready to throw in the towel when they started bringing frigging lightsabers into the story myself...

EagerSleeper posted:

A lot of people must have taken things at face value when Kanon started going super saiyan, and then thought "gently caress, what's the point of a mystery novel if there's going to be magical stuff involved in the crime scenes?", and left.

That's pretty much it. They threw their hands in the air proclaiming this can't be solved, the author is just loving with them, no point in trying. They wanted to eat the baby food like Beatrice put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: White Shadow

"...Hmm. Were you? My apologies. I was lost in my thoughts. Forgive me."
"The weather is pleasant. Yes, I can understand how the weather has stolen your heart. Will you have your black tea here...?"

"...I will bring some tea now. Wait here for a while."
"Forget about the tea. Talk with me."
"...Very well."

Kinzo had used the excuse of getting black tea to try and interrupt the conversation for the time being. But his attempt had been very transparent.

I sat in a garden chair and beckoned Kinzo to do the same. Kinzo sat down heavily, exaggerating his age. For a while, we sat and appreciated the silence...

"...Who am I? Until today, no one has answered this question. For some reason, everyone averts their gaze and evades me."
"..."
"...I have known you for a long time. I think of you as my best friend, even as a father. That is why I want so much for you to tell me. You should know... Who I am..."

"...I do not know."
"What's this? Don't you even understand what it is you want to know? How mysterious. In one's youth, there are times one wants to play in the maze of thought that has no exit. Perhaps that's what your worries are..."

Kinzo laughed as though it was a trivial matter. However, I couldn't help but feel that this behavior was another attempt to force me to stop any further questioning.

"...Hmph. So you won't tell me... after all."
"There is nothing to tell. You are Beatrice. Isn't that more than enough?"
"...No, that's not it. What I wish to know is not my name. I want to know... who... I am."
"...Who am I? What am I? How long have I been here, and how long will I have to continue my days here?"
"...I really should bring some black tea. Don't you think it a waste of all this fine weather?"
"..."

"Something like that. To think I would go this far back..."
"Looks like you had some pretty deep worries even then, wondering who you were."
"...That is to be expected. At the time, I was unable to understand who I was, or why I was alive."
"Well, in puberty, everyone's captured by those philosophical worries at least once, wondering what meaning there is in their life. Doesn't this just prove you had a charming period like that at one point?"

"...I could walk freely throughout the mansion and the garden, but outside of that, not once was my desire to take just one step outside of my own accord granted."
"...What do you mean by that? Are you trying to say that, as far back as you can remember, you were always a bird in a cage?"
"...That's what I thought at the time. After all, as soon as I became aware, I was living like that. I didn't even think to question it."
"Who in the world... are you?"
"That's it. That is what I also hoped to know."
"...Heh. I'm sure you'll say something like 'I wasn't a human, I was a witch,' right?"

"What the hell...? This is getting weird."
"...You probably won't believe it anyway, but listen first. I was a mighty witch, who had lived for one thousand years. But at one point, I was summoned by Kinzo, and by that hidden art, I was bound as his prisoner for eternity."
"...Never heard that before. From what we hear in the Ushiromiya family, you were summoned by Grandfather, made something like a devil's contract with him, and gave him the gold."
"Indeed. That is correct. Then, I was supposed to vanish until the contract was complete. But... well, popular women have it rough. By some turn of events, Kinzo fell in love with me."
"...Grandfather's nearsightedness must've gotten pretty bad. With astigmatism too, ihihi. To fall in love with you, of all things."
"...Hmph. Well, to me, there could be nothing more bothersome. However, the power of Humans is a frightening thing. He displayed that fearsome power and rooted me to this place. He said I wouldn't be freed until I nodded my head in agreement. Such an overbearing man."
"Isn't that awesome. Everyone knew Grandfather was obsessed with the occult, but who would've guessed he had the power to root down the Great Witch Beatrice... Heh, ridiculous. Who'd believe such a weird story?"
"...As I thought, you don't believe."
"All I believe is the fact that you lived in this hidden mansion in the middle of the forest. You are the 19th person on Rokkenjima, right?!"

"Mistress isn't the right way to say it. You should probably call it Kinzo's unrequited love. I spoke of it just now, correct? He fell in love with me of his own accord. He then courted me, but I rejected him."

"...I've got no idea what you said at the end there."
"You will just make fun of it and refuse to listen, right? After all, you say you don't believe in witches or magic. If you have no ears to hear what I tell you, saying it would be the pinnacle of foolishness."
"...I'll decide whether I believe or not. After all, if I don't ask, the story won't continue. Tell me. Let's hear this story from your past."

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

"...Talk about overbearing. Guess no one likes obstinate men, huh?"
"...*cackle*cackle* Regardless of whether I responded to his courting or not, having a man so desperate for me was... well, as a woman, it wasn't so unpleasant."
"...However, I never accepted his proposal. I tried to find some way to break through his guard, but that barrier was firm, and I couldn't crack it."
"...And then?"
"After trying to resist in various ways, I eventually reached the conclusion that, to escape from Kinzo's barrier, I would have to throw away this body of flesh. The physical body is a vessel with many restrictions for a magic user."
"Throw away your body of flesh...? What does that mean? Something like an out-of-body experience?"
"Well, if you want to think of it that way. However, I am no spirit. Even though I am a witch, in the beginning, I was born with a human's body of flesh. So for me, throwing away that physical body, while it didn't mean the same thing as death, it did require a similar level of resolve."
"So in other words, you decided that you couldn't be released except by suicide, is that it?"
"It wasn't suicide. It was nothing more than throwing away my body of flesh. Of course, becoming nothing more than soul is a precarious situation. When the soul leaves its body of flesh, it is constantly exposed to the strong winds of the sun. It was not easy for me to maintain myself and avoid being scattered by them."
"It was a final measure that I wanted to avoid if I could. However, there was no other way to break through Kinzo's barrier."
"*cackle* Anyway, I am an unfettered person. I couldn't stand being kept in a cage until Kinzo's life was over."

Grandfather persistently courted her, and to escape from that, she chose her own death...?

"...So you're saying you committed suicide? What are you talking about? Isn't that you, sitting carefree there in the garden chair?"
"...That's right. That is the new cage I was given by Kinzo."
"...Cage? You mean this mansion?"
"No. I mean my body, relaxing in the garden chair over there. Even though I was so desperate to escape that I became naught but a soul, Kinzo still had no intention of letting me go."
"...Oh, he was a fearsome person. Normally, when the object of one's unrequited love shows that she is willing to die, it should be enough to bring that person to their senses, even if their love has lasted a hundred years. Perhaps that's why even he managed to become a sorceror of sorts. *cackle*."
"Don't try to confuse me with that incomprehensible witch-girl talk. What exactly are you trying to say?"

"Tying down a dead soul... is not something that can be accomplished easily, not even for a magician who specializes in such matters. Because I knew this, Kinzo's fearful magical power shocked me for the first time. Then, Kinzo seized my soul and brought me back. However, a cage to hold a seized soul cannot be made from iron or lead. Only one thing remained."
"...What? You aren't gonna say it was a magical cage or something, are you?"
"Wrong. It's that body of flesh over there, just like yours or mine. Only a cage made of flesh and blood can tie a soul down to this world. Kinzo shut my soul up in a cage of flesh built to be exactly like me."
"...So to sum up, it's like this? Grandfather obstinately courted you, you started to hate it, and you committed suicide, but you weren't clever enough to finish the job? drat, you really took a roundabout way to say something like that."
"No, that's wrong. My soul was shut up in the seed of a homunculus, and I was born out of a test tube."
"Huh?! But that's crazy...! That isn't even possible, right?!"
"Kinzo accomplished even the miracle of creating life. And simply to shut my soul up in that cage. That he would show such magical power simply because of his own love... A thoroughly terrifying person."
"Aah, it's already gotten pretty ridiculous! Say whatever you want. I won't believe anything. Just do what you like."
"...Mu. What's with this unpleasant attitude?"
"Heh, in the beginning, I showed a little interest, thinking that there might be some huge hint hidden here, but the more I ask, the weirder this story starts to get. I get the feeling that even though this is supposed to be a game about denying witches, I'm suddenly being forced to just swallow this story about witches."
"Sorry, but I don't feel like listening to this any more. Just keep rambling on to yourself as much as you want. I'll be over here, picking at my earwax or something."
"...Hmph."

Of course, her expression was still shameless, but in that really easy-to-understand expression of hers, I had the feeling I was able to catch a glimpse of loneliness at my failure to find the story of her past interesting. For some reason, that subtle reaction made her seem pitiful, so even though I kept my careless attitude, I decided to cover for her slightly.

drat it, even though she's an irritating witch, I'm still weak against her because her chromosomes are XX...

"So you treat the story of my past like little more than a snack... Do you expect me to just casually tell you when you insult me like that...?"

After I made fun of her, Beato reacted a little sensitively. It looked like, even though making fun of people was her specialty, she was horrible at being made fun of by others.

Just then, my black tea cup suddenly made a sound, surprising me.

BGM: Sukashiyuri

Before I realized it, the demon butler had taken my cup and was adding more black tea to it.

"Ronove, enough of that. This person just said it was too ridiculous to be worth listening to. Well, he's too ridiculous to be worth talking to."
"I'm baking some new cookies right now. Until they're ready, I thought you might find the story of Milady's past to be a perfect substitute for a snack. Pu ku ku...!"
"...D-Didn't I say that's enough talking about me?! Such unpleasant people, the lot of you. I'm leaving! Ronove, serve our food and then go. No pointless chitchat with Battler."
"Certainly. I will make an effort."

Beato's short temper peculiar to women, which I didn't really understand, took hold of her, and she turned her body into gold butterflies, scattered, and disappeared. After that, only Ronove and the scent of the black tea were left...

"As long as you're aware of it yourself, I need say nothing more."
"Wait a sec. Weren't you the one who struck the finishing blow?"
"Pu ku ku ku. My, what could you mean by that? How would you like some sugar and milk?"
"...Just milk will be fine. And some tea snacks would be nice too."
"...Well, it will be a bit longer before the cookies are ready."
"Didn't you say we've already got something to use in place of a snack?"
"...Certainly. If you will listen quietly, I will continue the story."

BGM: Witch in Gold

"Yes. Milady's soul was shut up in a homunculus, and she was revived into this world, receiving life again as a baby. However, because she was a baby, any professions of love on Kinzo's part would have been quite useless."
"...You aren't saying... that Grandfather shut that baby up in this hidden mansion... until it grew to reach the same age she'd been?!"
"Correct. That is what I am saying. However, while her soul was the same, a human spirit is strongly influenced by its container. Milady lost all her memories of the past and grew up as a very normal human girl."
"And you're saying... that's the Beato sitting in the garden chair?"
"Yes. That is correct. It grew to be completely identical. However, it did not possess her power as a witch. Milady was completely human."

Beato, who was sitting in the garden chair, looking up at the sky, voiced that same question again. She asked who she was.

The meaning of those words was finally starting to click. She couldn't understand why she was living here, all locked up. Grandfather had seized Beatrice's soul, shut it up in a body of flesh, and then shut that up in a hidden mansion. However, since she had lived here since the time of her birth, she couldn't even understand who she was, or why she lived shut up in there...

Grandfather met Beatrice. He then fell in love with her and courted her, but she didn't accept him. Then, he flew into a rage and shut her up inside this hidden mansion. Beatrice tried to escape, but no matter what she did, she couldn't succeed, so she finally chose her own death.

...And then... no. Maybe there was a girl who looked just like Beatrice... no, a baby. Grandfather raised this child with care. But maybe he didn't view this child as his daughter. 'The soul was once again shut up in a cage of flesh.' Those words probably meant that he didn't view this kid as her child, but as her reincarnation. Maybe that's what it meant. If you interpret it that way, even a story this weird might make a little sense...

...No, no, no. This might be some bullshit Beato cooked up to confuse me. As if I could accept any of this...! In the first place... Kuwadorian, was it? There's no proof whatsoever that a hidden mansion actually existed. Couldn't this be something she just fabricated on the spot?

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

"...Huh? R-Red?!"

Ronove used the red to say that Kuwadorian actually existed. Did that mean the same thing as the red Beato used?

"I may not look it, but I am a demon. Please keep this a secret from Milady, yes?"
"...S-Sure!"

Beato, who knew I would try to trip her up, had grown extremely cautious when using red. To think that Ronove could also use the red... However, it was the red of a crafty man. I didn't know how far I could accept it, but anyway, I might be able to get some kind of hint out of it...

"So that Beato relaxing in the garden of Kuwadorian...and that conversation she had with Grandfather... were the truth?"
"Yes. It is the truth. In the past, the pair actually had a conversation like that in this place."
"Th-Thanks a lot. I'll ask for some more red. You said she was born from a homunculus, but does that kind of unscientific, magical thing actually exist?!"

"...A stalemate?? What does that mean?"
"It's a chess term referring to a state in which, similar to a 'perpetual check', any further progress in a game becomes impossible. This would be the opposite of an endless repetition of moves, because all moves would disappear, and it would bring about a kind of deadlock. In chess, this would lead to a draw, just as a perpetual check would. However, there can be no draws in the game between you and Milady. Therefore, I am unable to answer a question that would bring about a stalemate."
"...You obviously want to confuse me by saying incomprehensible stuff, but simply put, you're trying to dodge the question, because you can't use the red to say that something magical like a homunculus exists, right?"
"If I were to say in red that 'a witch exists', what would you do, Battler-sama?"
"...Mh. Whether or not I believe that is what our whole fight's about, right? If I was told that point blank, it'd be game over."
"If I said 'a witch exists' in red, you would have no room for argument. However, since the reason would never have been made clear to you, Battler-sama, you probably wouldn't accept it. However, after being told that in red, you would have no room for argument and would not have been shown any proof."
"In this situation, even though you wouldn't be able to admit defeat, you would have no way to make a counterargument, and it would become a deadlock. Even though checkmate would not have been reached, there would be no existing moves left."
"Since you would not be able to play your next hand, it would never become Milady's turn, and the game would stop there for all eternity. As a result, Milady would be unable to force you to submit. That would be a deadlock situation. In order to avoid that, I am unable to answer questions of this nature in red."
"...So, to say it quickly, you're saying point-blank questions are prohibited? Well, that's true, I guess. If I were told 'a witch exists', I'd have to give up from the start."
"I am pleased that you understand. I believe we might be able to work together if you ask your questions in a different form."
"...Can you help me with that line Beatrice dodged when I told her to repeat it? About the number of people on this island?"
"If Milady held back on repeating it, then of course I cannot respond. As Milady's furniture, I am unable to be too forward."

Ronove made an exaggerated gesture, trying to act like a loyal retainer. This guy's so shameless.

"Heh. Just when I thought you might actually be useful. I'll give up on that and search for a different question. That's right. I was forgetting to check something important. This is a story about Beato's memories, right? When did it happen? It couldn't be happening right now, right?"

"...Hmmmmm..."

Let's try rearranging this story again. I wonder if it couldn't be something like this...

Grandfather fell in unrequited love with a person called Beatrice. Then, he confined her in this hidden mansion and continued to court her. But she was stubborn and didn't give in. Eventually, she grew pessimistic about being able to escape from here... and probably... committed suicide. And then, her soul was put in a homunculus and...

No, no, if I accept that, it's the same as accepting the witch.

Grandfather must've believed that her soul had been placed in a new physical body... and might have thought that the child was the reincarnation of Beatrice... That means, at least 19 years ago, Beato existed on this island as the 19th person, umm...

"...I'm starting to get confused. Either way, we can't do more than speculate. The only thing we can say for sure in red... is that in 1967, in a hidden mansion on Rokkenjima, Beatrice existed as a human. That's all."
"That is correct. In 1967, in a hidden mansion on Rokkenjima, Beatrice-sama existed as a human."
"Oh, thank you. That really helps."
"Congratulations. With this, you have made clear the existence of the piece known as the 19th person. A 19th human for you to blame, just as you longed for."
"...A sacrificial sheep upon which you can shift the blame of any crime. How amusing that it happens to be Milady. Pu ku ku ku."

Ronove laughed indiscreetly. Somehow, I didn't like how he put that, so I didn't feel like laughing along with him.

"...That's right. There's that thing Aunt Rosa said. Beatrice is dead? 'I killed her'? What did that mean...?"
"As for that, it may be faster to see the actual circumstances rather than listen to me tell you. Let us advance the clock a little more."

Ronove pulled a stylish pocket watch from his pocket and touched the watch stem. As soon as he did, I saw gold butterflies gather behind his back and take the form of a person. Was it Beato?!

I quickly realized that it was someone else. It was her. That oldest sister of the Seven Stakes, who loved tormenting me more than her three meals a day. If I don't consider myself lucky to see that sexy rear end, I won't be able to keep up with their torture game...

BGM: Fishy Aroma

"My, my, what kind of urgent business could it be? It's seems my chat with Battler-sama has run a tad long."
"Well then, Battler-sama, if you will excuse me. Please continue to enjoy your game with Milady."
"Yeah, yeah. I'll enjoy it as best I can. 'Cause my conversations go a lot more smoothly when they're with you, as opposed to her. And you're more gracious with the red too. Come and talk again any time you like."
"...Battler-sama, despite how I look, I am Milady's furniture. I can do nothing that Milady does not desire. What I said in red was something that normally should have come from Milady's mouth. I did nothing more than announce the red truth in Milady's place as she sulked."
"So she really was sulking then? Ihihihi!"
"Pu ku ku ku."

Seeing me and Ronove incomprehensibly hitting it off, that Seven Stake chick cocked her head curiously.

"Ronove-sama, we are keeping Beatrice-sama waiting. Let us hurry."
"Yes, I shall go immediately. Well, Battler-sama, I will see you later. It appears that we have finally started getting along. As I thought, I have the feeling we'll manage to become good friends."
"Sure, if you mean partners at gossiping behind Beato's back."
"Ronove-sama!"
"Yes, yes. If you will excuse me."

Maybe she didn't like seeing him act so friendly with me, or maybe she really had been told to hurry. When the Seven Stakes babe let out a thunderous cry, Ronove laughed frivolously and disappeared, as if running away...

"Why so grumpy, girl? If you're hungry, eat a cookie or something. Why don't I give you the last one? Ihihi!"
"...Hmmmm? How thoughtful. Then, shall I take one?"

I casually pushed the snack plate with the last remaining cookie over to her.

"Thank you."

BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor

As though coming as a period at the end of the sentence, a sharp sound pierced the table... The nails on three of her fingers extended, grew sharp... and pierced the space between my fingers on the hand that was pushing the plate, missing them by a hair's breadth. It had happened in an instant, so for a while, I didn't even realize that her fingernails had grown. The tips of those sharp nails were like blades with a red manicure.

...The spaces between the bases of my fingers hurt sharply. Those razor-like blades had been plunged into the table a hair's breadth away from the back of my hand and my fingers... Because of those three blades, I was unable to even let my careless right hand tremble, and by now, all I could do was let a bead of cold sweat drip down.

"...Whoa. Isn't it about time you cut your nails, babe?"
"It's Lucifer. That is my glorious name. The honored furniture who serves Beatrice-sama, and the oldest sister of the Seven Stakes of Purgatory."
"...I'm not like my disgraceful younger sisters. If you don't show proper respect, you will regret it."
"...And why would I regret it, exactly? Can't really think of a reason."
"...Heheheheheh. Stupid kid. Do you really wanna play with me that much? Was it that unforgettable? I'll thrust my stake deep, deep into you and let you enjoy being gouged to the fullest, okay...? Heheheheheheheheehehehhh...!"
"...Dammit. Some day I'll have you down on the floor and say the same thing."

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 7, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh Battler!

That last line used to be mistranslated as "No matter when you knock me down, I'll keep saying the same line". This Steam version is improved a lot, but at this point the translators also have the benefit of hindsight. The original translation was really paranoiacally literal and outright wrong in some places.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

In 1967, in a hidden mansion on Rokkenjima, Beatrice-sama existed as a human

This is a heavy blow for the chimp theory. Or so it seems, until you realize that it's cleverly worded to just seem like it: because chimp Beatrice was treated by Kinzo like a human, and she also lived like a human, wearing human clothes and all, she existed "as a human", but she *wasn't* a human. :tinfoil: You've got to have love for your fellow primates or you can't see it. Umineko is just an extended tale to promote great ape personhood.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Whoa, Kinzo getting all Hikaru Genji on us here. Grody, dude.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 6, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, this is certainly edifying. So there is another mansion on the island, and at least until 1967, it was occupied. This not only speaks to Kinzo's ingenuity and ambition, but also just what a crazy and disgusting old gently caress he really is, because Battler may not be willing to go all the way with considering the implications of this story, but... If there truly is no Beatrice, then that means Kinzo just knocked some poor girl over the head, kept her locked up in his secret mansion, and then when she died, did it again to a baby. Or the baby was already there, in which case, the implications are even darker (holy poo poo, he raped her :gonk: and then kept the rape baby to rape later :cry:). As far as murder motivations go, that's a hell of a doozy right there... but Battler isn't celebrating his 19th person find, and neither am I, because if she really is alive, then how would she have known about the family? And how would she have even gotten to the mansion, let alone have such a working knowledge of the whole house and grounds to do all of the poo poo of the first episode unnoticed? Besides, I can buy her being sneaky for a little while, but 19 whole years? From 18 people, one of whom is apparently a loving ninja? No, it wasn't her... or more appropriately, it wasn't just her: the theory that there is more than one killer suddenly looks very good.

And yet another side shown of Beatrice this episode; the offended way she reacted when Battler dismissed her story of imprisonment probably did more to tell me this story is on the up and up more than the Red did. I've thought that she considered Battler a plaything, but maybe she does respect him a little, enough to start actually baring her soul a little, possibly. So Battler's chuckles must have been a slap in the face, especially to one so wronged.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's nice that Battler is making the same guesses I am, just after I do.

Wait a minute, that's not nice at all. That means I'm incompetent! :ohdear:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Without sex jokes, it cannot be anime.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

It's nice that Battler is making the same guesses I am, just after I do.

Wait a minute, that's not nice at all. That means I'm incompetent! :ohdear:

Chill, dude. We're all incompetent.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

resurgam40 posted:

Or the baby was already there, in which case, the implications are even darker (holy poo poo, he raped her :gonk: and then kept the rape baby to rape later :cry:).

That was my read on it. Kinzo's a monster. The only question is, did Rosa kill old Beatrice from the intro or young Beatrice? Also, was that young Beatrice in the intro to this episode? If so, why does she refer to Kinzo as grandfather? Is she Krauss or Rudolf's child? Though that timeline doesn't really add up. If young Beatrice was that old then, Krauss and Rudolf would have been too young to impregnate anyone at the right time.

E: Unless Grandfather is Kinzo's father, or Kinzo has another child we've yet to become aware of.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 6, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

EagerSleeper posted:

Without sex jokes, it cannot be anime.

At this point, I'd almost call it flirting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Battler x Lucifer OTP

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CottonWolf posted:

That was my read on it. Kinzo's a monster. The only question is, did Rosa kill old Beatrice from the intro or young Beatrice? Also, was that young Beatrice in the intro to this episode? If so, why does she refer to Kinzo as grandfather? Is she Krauss or Rudolf's child? Though that timeline doesn't really add up. If young Beatrice was that old then, Krauss and Rudolf would have been too young to impregnate anyone at the right time.

E: Unless Grandfather is Kinzo's father, or Kinzo has another child we've yet to become aware of.

Referring to an older man that you're close to as "grandfather" isn't that unusual in Japanese, so the most we can take away from it right now, I think, is that young Beato had a close relationship with her captor Kinzo. He's probably one of the few people she ever met.

I suppose the soundest theory is that she's mistress Beatrice and Kinzo's daughter and may/may not be their only offspring. It's possible young Beato has had children of her own by this point, too, and they might be sent to the orphanage to get them off the island. It would be a little difficult to hide additional people, especially newborns, I think, and I doubt Kinzo would feel that attached to them once he has his precious Beatrice reborn to cling to.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Well, Kinzo continues to have no redeeming features.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Regardless of if witches are real or not, Kinzo is a real piece of poo poo. For a moment I was thinking that Krauss was just a little less terrible being just behind Kinzo in this race to be the most terrible person in this, this update is just Kinzo getting boost power and taking the shortcut. But hey this race is far from over, I this Krauss still has a chance to out rear end in a top hat him who knows (probably not).

Edit: also the last music link goes straight to YouTube.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Jesus gently caress, Kinzo. What an utter scumbag.

I'm seeing plenty of reason for Human-Beatrice to kill the entire family if she found out about them, and she has 19 years to do that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESIRE

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Kinzo is hilariously bad at question-dodging, which is the story under-reported in this wave of realizing that he's incredibly scummy. But really, his idea of how to avoid answering "why am I trapped here exactly" is "Wow you know what'd go great with this weather it's tea I'll go get some." Kinzo's valuable skills are apparently Summoner, OH DESIRE, Risky Business, Making Tables... And not, at all, in any way, Actually Dealing With People.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

D3m3 posted:

Kinzo is hilariously bad at question-dodging, which is the story under-reported in this wave of realizing that he's incredibly scummy. But really, his idea of how to avoid answering "why am I trapped here exactly" is "Wow you know what'd go great with this weather it's tea I'll go get some." Kinzo's valuable skills are apparently Summoner, OH DESIRE, Risky Business, Making Tables... And not, at all, in any way, Actually Dealing With People.

Pfft, he has servants to handle all that "interacting with other human beings" crap for him.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

D3m3 posted:

You forgot BEATORICHIIIIIIII

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

John Lee posted:

You forgot BEATORICHIIIIIIII

Pretty sure that falls under "OH DESIRE".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 7, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

D3m3 posted:

Which kind of really hammers in the fact that his kids ending up the way they are truly is his fault. There clearly had never been any effort, taking into account his two adult children at this time frame, to learn how to deal with people. I mean, look at his wife, the game's implying she snapped near the end, and Kinzo don't give a gently caress.

At this point, I'm willing to say that Kinzo has some undiagnosed mental disorders, because that's the only way I can comprehend him acting in such a horrific way to literally everyone around him.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

The men wanted to hurry her into talking faster, but Kyrie intervened. If something like that really had happened, then it would have been a terrible experience that Rosa wouldn't want to remember.

After taking several deep breaths with her hand over her chest, it seemed that she had more or less resolved herself to talk...

"Which means... maybe about 20 years ago?"
"Back then, my grades weren't very good, and Mother was always angry at me. I tried to do my best in my own way, but I couldn't match up to Mother's expectations at all..."
"...Mother was always very strict with Rosa. I sympathized with her at the time."
"Hmph. You say that, even though you were always talking behind her back."
"Would you give it a rest, Eva?"
"And then? Where did you meet Beatrice, Rosa-san?!"
"Hideyoshi-san, you mustn't rush her now. It's okay, Rosa-san. Tell us at your own pace."
"...Thank you. It was a day I'd been harshly scolded by Mother."

Mother scolded me brutally, saying my name was a disgrace to the Ushiromiya family. Of course, I was doing the best I could. But I had none of Krauss nii-san's dignity, I couldn't get excellent grades like Eva nee-san, and I had no leadership abilities like Rudolf nii-san. I never stood out, didn't particularly excel at anything, and I found myself asking why I'd even been born into the Ushiromiya family.

I began to question more and more why I'd even been born at all. This is what happened on the day I experienced my mind going blank for the first time... For the first time in my life, I realized that in addition to facing or surrendering to my problems, I had the third choice of running away. Though I say 'run away', there was no way I could've left Rokkenjima and gone somewhere else.

But, anyway, I wanted to run away from the mansion and my own self at that time. In a way, it was like a kid running away from home, or maybe a passive sort of suicide...

"...I childishly thought that if I went into the center of the forest, escaped from the Ushiromiya house, and maybe became lost, then I'd make them worry and teach them a lesson."
"And then, you went into the forest that you were told never to enter?"
"...Yes. After reaching the beach, I followed alongside the ocean. I didn't have any particular reason, but I felt that, if I went around to the opposite side of the island, there might be a place there that no one knew about, which might become a hidden house just for me."
"If you go around by the beach, that'd be impossible. It becomes a cliff partway, right? There's no way you could pass that way."
"...Of course. So, I kept going wherever I could, which kept taking me deeper and deeper inland. It's a horrible forest without any paths, but that was comforting to me then. If I could make it through such a dangerous forest, then I'd be that much further away from the Ushiromiya family."
"...How shameful. If you were scolded because of your grades, all you had to do was work harder."
"You mustn't say that. Doesn't Rosa have her talent as a designer instead?"

Literally speaking, he was covering for Rosa, but everyone knew that Rosa's company hadn't been profitable.

"Quit it. This is no time for sarcasm. So, you managed to end up there by coincidence...? At Beatrice's... hidden mansion."

Rosa nodded weakly...

"About how far did you walk? Could you show it to us on a map...? Natsuhi-san, do you have a map of this island?"
"No, there isn't one here now..."
"It wouldn't help. I was just walking randomly. Even if you gave me a map, I wouldn't know. And 20 years have passed since then. I probably couldn't reach it again even if I went into the forest..."
"...Hmmmmmm..."

Several people let out dejected sighs. It was vividly clear that in their haste, they'd thought some hint related to the witch's epitaph... or maybe even the gold itself might be resting there.

"But just knowing that it actually exists is helpful. It would take some money, but if we enlisted an aerial photography company to investigate, or asked the businessman who constructed this mansion about what happened at the time, we could probably find some way to search for it."
"That's right. At least we have more options now, as opposed to when we weren't sure it existed."
"...Indeed. It may be worth investigating right away."
"The siblings will do that investigation together. We won't leave you on your own, Nii-san."

It wasn't yet certain that the gold was hidden in that secret mansion, but the sparks seemed to have started flying between Krauss and Eva already.

"Give it a rest for now, you two. Rosa, please continue."
"...Yes."

BGM: Psy-chorus

Suddenly, I came across something I thought was an animal trail. I was very tired and had no idea how far I'd walked, so at that time, I naturally took the easiest path.

It was a fence wonderfully adorned in a gothic style. For an instant, I thought I'd gotten turned around and returned to the original mansion. Of course, there were fences around the mansion to stop us from entering the forest. But this fence was decorated differently... and moreover, it was very tall. It probably reached a full two stories up. It was covered with ivy and created a mysterious, solemn atmosphere...

At the time, I believed in the legend of the witch of the forest, Beatrice. I had been told that she was frightening, but some of the servants told me that she'd sometimes help you if you respected her. Since I had little confidence in those days, I believed the only way I could be saved was by receiving her help. That's why I thought what I did. I believed that this was the fence of the mansion belonging to Beatrice, the witch of the forest. I thought that if I could meet with Beatrice, she'd definitely save me.

So, I decided to try going in. But the fence was very, very tall, and it didn't look like I'd be able go over it. So I chose to walk around it. I thought that if I did, I'd eventually reach a gate. But it wasn't that easy. The fence had an incredible length to match its incredible height, and no matter how far I went, I didn't reach a corner. It might have encircled a massive area, or maybe I just had that impression because my child's legs made it difficult to walk in the forest.

Anyway, I couldn't find a gate for a while, and I started to feel sad, as though the witch had rejected me...

It might get my clothes dirty, but if I crawled, it looked like I'd be able to sneak in...

"I don't know if it was the hidden mansion we've been talking about... Still, at the very least, it wasn't a place that we know of."

As I did, the forest suddenly opened up. And what appeared there... was an unbelievably fantastical scene.

A beautiful flower garden spanned the front of the mansion. It was a flower garden of a completely different design from the rose garden we know so well, and it was very lovely. Of course, the mansion was also wonderful. It was a couple sizes smaller than ours, but it was still elegant and adorable at the same time.

It was that black dress embroidered in gold that we would later know from that portrait. I hadn't seen an elegant dress like that except in fairy tales and on the stage of musicals. For a person to be wearing it as her normal clothes... That in itself seemed quite fantastical. That mysterious scene was enough to make me lose my sense of reality. If someone had told me then that it was a dream, I might have nodded obediently and waited to wake up in my bed...

I had forgotten to hide myself in my shock, so she eventually spotted me. At first, her expression was quite listless, but when she noticed me, her eyes opened very wide. It was only natural, considering that a guest she didn't know had suddenly appeared. I lowered my head automatically, planning to greet her and apologize for entering without permission...

:siren:Video: The Witch's Flight:siren:

BGM: Hope

Those were the first words she said to me. I grew slightly calmer. Because I realized that we could talk to each other. Because I hadn't been turned into a frog just by meeting her eyes, like a terrifying witch in a fairy tale.

"...I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have entered the garden without permission..."
"...Who are you? Name yourself."
"I-I am Ushiromiya Rosa."
"...Ushiromiya... Hoh. One of Kinzo's family?"
"Huh? Ah, yes! I'm Kinzo's daughter. G-Good afternoon...!"

I was a little surprised. After all, Father was a great man, feared by everyone. And yet, she had spoken of him without using honorifics. So, I was immediately terrified of her. After all, if she could refer to my fearsome father that way, she must be a witch with incredible power.

After staring at me curiously, she beckoned me to come over. Frightened as I was, I obeyed. After all, I thought she might really turn me into a frog. The closer I got, the stronger that fear became. After all, as I keep saying over and over, that woman and her dress and the flower garden and the mansion... that whole picture was so fantastical and beautiful that it seemed separate from reality. It probably wouldn't have surprised me at all to learn that she really was a witch...

And I really was lucky. She hadn't turned me into a frog. As I awkwardly stood there, stock still, she motioned to an open chair and urged me to sit down.

As she said this, she let an unhappy smile show for just an instant. Because I was full of a strange mix of tension and excitement, I rudely asked her a question all of a sudden.

"...Umm, are you the witch of the forest... Beatrice?"
"Indeed. I am Beatrice."

BGM: None

"...Did she really look like the portrait?"
"...Yes. Really, just like the portrait."
"So, she wasn't just a witch from Father's imagination..."
"Well, what did you talk with her about?"
"...As she prepared some tea, she asked me all kinds of things about myself. First, she was surprised that I had come through the forest. It seems she believed that many dangerous wolves lived outside the fence. So when I told her I'd come through the forest to reach this place, she was shocked. She asked how I had managed to escape from the wolves. Did I give them a biscuit and they let me go? Or did I cover myself in a magic cloak? That kind of thing."
"Wahahaha. That sure sounds like a witch. What an interesting person."
"Quiet, dear. This goes way back, but didn't Father threaten us, saying we should never get near the forest because of the wolves that lived there?"
"Yes, he did say something of the sort. Ridiculous. Even though Japanese wolves went extinct long ago. Truly a trick to fool children."
"I don't remember though. Did Dad really tell us something like that...? It was the witch of the forest, right? I don't think I've ever heard about wolves."
"This was when you were still in elementary school. Don't you remember?"
"Back then, you actually said you thought it'd be cool to try petting the wolves. Father immediately gave up the wolf story and changed it to the story about the witch. Seriously, what transparent lies they were, ahahahahaha."
"Hahahahah. At the time, the witch story had a much more immediate effect on you, Rudolf, than the wolves. I remember it well. Don't you remember those nights when you clung to my back?"
"*giggle* I see, so even Rudolf-san used to be that cute."
"Shut up. I was just a kid."
"...Well, at any rate, if Father's the one who shut Beatrice up in there, it makes sense that he'd use the same story about wolves. To him, the vast forest of Rokkenjima was a wall that shouldn't be crossed, dividing his two incompatible worlds: the Ushiromiya family and his mistress's mansion."
"Considering the height of that fence, it does sound as though Father turned that whole area, garden and all, into a giant jail cell. Just like a border dividing his two separate worlds."
"...Wolves aside, could there have been some breed of stray dogs there at the time? Perhaps the fence was there to protect against those."

"But if she innocently believed that story about wolves, that's pretty... naive. That's nothin' like what I'd expect a witch to do."
"...You're right. I sensed that too. She was very pompous, just like my image of a witch, but she was somehow very childish. She was... how should I put it... too straightforward. She gave me the impression that she didn't know anything about the world. It was as though... she'd come from some fairy-tale land. She really was a strange person."
"...What happened after that? Did you end up talking about Dad at all?"
"Yes. Once every few days, usually on an arranged day but sometimes suddenly, Father would casually appear and they'd drink together, or else take a walk together or something. She said she just happened to be alone on the day I visited."
"I see. An obvious mistress, you might say. My, my. I don't know how much younger she was, but good for Father."
"...We can be sure this was no indecent relationship."
"Idiot, there's no way a lover's meeting between a man and a woman wouldn't have some sensuality. What happened next? What did you talk about after that?"
"...I'd already introduced myself, so I asked about her. When I did, the atmosphere quickly grew depressing. How should I put it... She seemed to grow listless and lonely. It was that same expression I saw on her face in the beginning."
"Well, she was his hidden mistress, after all. If she just walked around wherever she liked, Mom might've found her. I'll bet she was practically under house arrest. Even though she had beautiful clothes, a beautiful mansion, and a garden, she must've felt pretty cramped. I'll bet she had it rough. And then?"
"She was definitely worried about something. I remember feeling really sad myself, when I realized it wasn't something I could do anything about by talking to her. She seemed to forget I was even there. She gazed vaguely off into the distance... and was silent for a long, long time. I thought I must've said something wrong, but it didn't seem to be the type of atmosphere where I could apologize, so I remained silent too for a long, long time, until she remembered I was there..."

And then, ...she muttered unexpectedly.

BGM: Far

"...Huh? Y-Yes, that's right. I've never seen wolves, not even in a zoo."
"What is a zoo?"
"Ah, it's a place where they keep all kinds of animals. They're full of rare animals like elephants and giraffes and pandas."
"...So, there aren't any wolves in a zoo? Then, umm, it might not be so scary."
"Even if there were wolves, all of the animals are put in cages, so it's safe. That's why you can safely look at them and learn about them."

The mighty witch of the forest was apparently terrified of wolves. I remember it looked pretty funny to me, at the time.

"...Huh?"

She didn't know about zoos. I explained how fun zoos could be, but it was very difficult for a person like her, who had never visited one, to understand... On the contrary, as I explained it to her, her expression grew increasingly dismal.

She couldn't see the difference. Apparently, even though she lived in an elegant mansion that was surrounded by a high fence and seemed to lack for nothing, she couldn't see how she was any different from animals shut up in cages...

"Who am I? Everyone calls me Beatrice. And that does indeed seem to be the name of a great witch, as you say. But that isn't me. I cannot use any magic. I simply have the soul of that witch sealed inside my body."
"...?"

There was definitely something odd about her. Beyond just being cut off from the world, it seemed she truly believed that magic exists.

I think she talked about lots of weird things, but I don't remember the details. All I thought was that... this might be a person to be pitied. She was unable to leave this mansion of her own free will, a prisoner without even realizing it. And she didn't know anything about the outside world, didn't even understand who she was. She probably vaguely realized that she was to be pitied. But since she didn't know anything, she seemed incapable of recognizing her own unhappiness.

Long ago, when I told Nee-san that I felt sorry for a bird in a cage, she said this:

But this wasn't a bird. She really was a person. Even if she'd never been outside the cage, she understood that there was more to the world.

So... I invited her.

"...Th-There really aren't any wolves?"
"There aren't. You'll definitely be safe."
"...I want to leave. But the gate is always closed."
"There's the place I came in through. It's got a crack you can slip through."
"...If we go through there, will there be a world outside?"
"Yes."
"...There really aren't any wolves?"
"*giggle* Right, there aren't any."
"..."

I'd only planned on inviting her to go on a short walk, but she kept looking over her shoulder at the mansion, as though she was seriously worrying over the decision. Then, I learned what she was preparing herself for.

I didn't know what her life had been like before then. It was probably something she couldn't express easily. If it was harsh, she just had to say she wanted to escape. If it was sweet, she just had to say she'd stay. For example, maybe it was like how a hot fireplace on a winter day makes the air get thicker and thicker, giving you a headache... Even though you know you shouldn't keep things the way they are, you still need courage to open the window and be tormented by the cold wind...

She was starting to realize that she couldn't stay there forever. She was starting to realize that she had to go outside someday. But, since she didn't know about the outside world, she must have needed courage to take that unspeakable first step outside... And despite that, she had made her decision. She'd voiced her decision to go outside, a decision she was probably making for the first time in her life.

...I hesitated for a moment. Father had decided that she should live here. She was like Father's beloved bird in a cage. If I just let her escape, Father might scold me harshly...

"I want to see."
"...Hmm? See what?"

"...Ah."

I was just a little surprised when she finally gave me a gentle smile. Could that have been... a farsightedness brought about by her decision to venture out from her cage? It was a smile so gentle, I couldn't imagine that it had come from that once dark face...

"...When I speak with you, I keep hearing about things I don't know. I don't even know about this thing called school, nor do I know about zoos. I don't know about movie theaters. I don't know about amusement parks. And I feel, from the bottom of my heart, that I want to know about those things. Will you take me to see them?"
"Huh? ...Y-Yes."

I was nervous about how I could keep it a secret from Father, but her face looked so happy, so I went along with her and nodded. But she seemed not to notice the meaning behind my vague smile. She seemed to believe that I'd really take her to all those places. She was pure and genuine. She'd probably never been tricked by anyone. No... maybe it's better to say that she'd never learned how to doubt. Her smile was somehow radiant...and yet pathetic.

...I wanted to find a way to grant her modest wish.

"I...have had enough of Beatrice. I want to know who I am. I want to start out as a new human, not Beatrice. So, I want you to take me away from here. I don't need tea anymore. I don't need this dress. I won't meet with Kinzo again. Please, take me from here, Rosa."

Still, when I saw her serious gaze, along with that brilliant smile that made it look as though a possessing spirit had left her, I could feel a little courage start to rise up inside me. This was definitely something that would get me into a lot of trouble. And yet, it was definitely the right thing to do.

I don't know how it'll turn out... but I'll take her away from here. Of course, I won't be able to talk to Father, and not Mother either. Should I talk to Onii-sama or Onee-sama? No, what about that reliable Genji-san... or, that's right, what about Kumasawa-san, to whom I can always talk when I'm in trouble. I'm sure they'll be able to do something.

Anyway, for now, I'll take her out of here. This was already a place she didn't want to be. So, I took her to the crack in the fence and led her outside.

Every time she found something, she'd ask me about it. And they were all really trivial things. What's that flower? What's that leaf? And that sound? And that smell? It really was like the inside of that fence had been her entire world. So, now that she'd traveled beyond the limits of her world...

...It's strange. When I first saw her, I really thought she was the witch herself, relaxing inside the witch's mansion. But now, it was different. Or actually, the complete opposite. She'd left a world she'd believed to be finite... and was overjoyed at the realization that the world was endless, something she'd never thought of before. So everything she saw was new. It was almost as though she was the one who had been thrown into a fairy tale. If she was Alice, then I felt almost like a rabbit holding a watch...

To her, it was probably a really fun walk, filled to the brim with excitement. But I was actually at a loss at what to do. After all, I walked randomly to get there. Of course I didn't know the way back to our mansion. There were no lights in the forest, and I hadn't brought a flashlight. I realized it would be terrible if it got dark while we were still like this... and grew impatient. She was too innocent, and apparently, she couldn't understand at all how frightening it would be to face the night inside the forest.

But I was the one who brought her outside. I had to take responsiblity somehow and resolve this situation. So, I had a thought. Let's go out to the ocean for now. If we then follow the beach around, we should eventually make it back to the mansion. However, that was much more of a problem than I'd imagined. I didn't have a map or a compass. There was no way I could walk in a straight line through an uncultivated forest, and I immediately lost my sense of direction.

At this rate, night would definitely fall before I had a clue where to walk. But this was no time to cry. After all, that woman following behind me was so innocent and having so much fun. So, I definitely had to lead the way through this forest, for the sake of her smile as well. Gritting my teeth so that she didn't see me looking troubled, I pushed my way through the woods, advancing down a path that wasn't a path.

At that time, I still didn't even have a clue where I was on the island, but for the time being, I was just a little reassured, realizing that if I just went around this way, I would surely be able to return to the mansion. However, though I had reached the ocean, we were at the top of a rock cliff. The beach was far below us. I was tired from walking around the forest for so long, so I figured that an open area, even a rocky beach, would probably be much easier to walk in. So, I suggested that we go down that rocky cliff somehow. It looked pretty dangerous, but I figured there was no other way.

However, Beatrice agreed to my plan without any doubts. Even though she was probably older than me, she meekly obeyed, almost as though she were some kind of chick who thought I was her mother.

I searched to see if there was some part of the cliff I'd be able to get down. Then, I found a place where the cliff had fallen over and made a slope. It looked a little dangerous, but if I went down using both hands and both legs, like I was crawling, I thought it'd probably be okay.

"Indeed. If that's what you're doing, I'll go too. Even getting lost is fun for me. Quite amusing."

...She really had no sense of danger. There was probably no doubt that she'd lived a life without discomfort. Even though she knew it would get dark when night fell, she couldn't imagine how dangerous the inside of a forest could be without a light. Furthermore, it seemed that she couldn't grasp at all how dangerous it might be if she fell from the cliff.

I warned her repeatedly to be careful. I cautiously examined our potential route down. It seemed to be... quite a long drop. I think it might've been about 10 meters down. If you looked at it from the bottom up, it would probably have looked shorter than the roof of the mansion. But looking from the top, it felt almost like staring down from the observation room on Tokyo Tower.

But Beatrice still appeared to be completely without fear. It felt as though she had never even been taught that high places were dangerous. No, maybe she believed that she was a witch... and that she could fly, so there wasn't any need to worry.

"Please be careful. We're... pretty high up."
"Indeed. I shall be careful. It looks like we can get to the ocean if we go down. Is there an aquarium there?"
"No, there aren't any aquariums on this island. But there should be lots of fish in the sea."
"I see. So there are fish. Are there...umm, whales and dolphins and penguins, like you talked about?"
"No, you'd have to go to an aquarium for those. ...And you'd have to leave this island to find an aquarium."
"Is that so? Well, I'm looking forward to it. What kind of fish are whales?"
"Umm, they're really big fish... huh, aren't they mammals? And they spit seawater into the air."
"Hoh. And dolphins?"
"Umm, they're really smart fish, and...oh, weren't they also mammals? They're really smart and can be taught tricks and stuff."
"Hohhoh. Then what about penguins?"
"Umm, ...uh, weren't they birds...?"
"What's going on? We're talking about aquariums, but none of these things seem to be fish..."
"Ummm, uhhh... Well, um, there aren't just fish. It's full of all kinds of things that live in the ocean."
"Hohhoh. I really am looking forward to that... nn-"

She let out what might've been a funny, rushed and short cry... no, it was probably a scream.

It came right out of the blue.

I immediately wanted to say something to her. I wanted to say 'Didn't I tell you to be more careful?!' It was the thought of a child. It was how a child immediately gets mad when something bad happens, trying to find an excuse to show it wasn't their fault.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 10, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thats fitting.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That might make a nice avatar.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I was thinking it might have been something like that. Poor naïve Beatrice for slipping, and poor naïve Rosa for being there. :smith: Don't play around cliffs without scaling equipment or an experienced adult, folks.

At least Teen-Rosa's heart was in the right place for trying to help a confused prisoner to escape, even if she really was out of her depth with the entire situation. And really, I don't see what else, beyond apologizing and leaving, that she could have done, because telling anybody is right out because Kinzo would hear of it soon ("Father might scold me harshly if he finds me here"- oh, sweetie, I think Dear Old Dad would kill you if he found out and just said you were lost in the forest, he has other children) and I doubt she knows the specifics of how to use a boat. The situation seems kind of awful either way, is what I mean, so I don't blame her for being traumatized by this entire ordeal. It's also a little clearer now why she gets so frustrated when Maria brings up witches- it just dredges up the time when she actually met a "witch" in the forest and was partially responsible for her death.

And goddamn, can't Krauss and Eva go two loving minutes without being snide assholes? Apparently not. I am also not particularly impressed that, having had a firsthand, eyewitness account of a girl being imprisoned on this island in another heretofore undisclosed mansion, they all just feel vindicated that they were right in the "secret mistress" thing and don't even seem to realize- or care- about the horror and criminality of these circumstances. "Good for Father" says Krauss... gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR!!!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Also for reference, here's the anime depiction of a young teen Rosa.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

I was thinking it might have been something like that. Poor naïve Beatrice for slipping, and poor naïve Rosa for being there. :smith: Don't play around cliffs without scaling equipment or an experienced adult, folks.

At least Teen-Rosa's heart was in the right place for trying to help a confused prisoner to escape, even if she really was out of her depth with the entire situation. And really, I don't see what else, beyond apologizing and leaving, that she could have done, because telling anybody is right out because Kinzo would hear of it soon ("Father might scold me harshly if he finds me here"- oh, sweetie, I think Dear Old Dad would kill you if he found out and just said you were lost in the forest, he has other children) and I doubt she knows the specifics of how to use a boat. The situation seems kind of awful either way, is what I mean, so I don't blame her for being traumatized by this entire ordeal. It's also a little clearer now why she gets so frustrated when Maria brings up witches- it just dredges up the time when she actually met a "witch" in the forest and was partially responsible for her death.

And goddamn, can't Krauss and Eva go two loving minutes without being snide assholes? Apparently not. I am also not particularly impressed that, having had a firsthand, eyewitness account of a girl being imprisoned on this island in another heretofore undisclosed mansion, they all just feel vindicated that they were right in the "secret mistress" thing and don't even seem to realize- or care- about the horror and criminality of these circumstances. "Good for Father" says Krauss... gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR!!!

Teen Rosa is probably like 12, so she's not even as rational as you're thinking.

As for everyone else's reaction, all they can say for sure is that kinzo had a much younger mistress on the island at that time. Remember, you're just kind of assuming he is a monster, based on Beatrice's story about spells and hommunculi.

Eva and Krauss not being able to stop making GBS threads on rosa for five minutes, though, really doespecially add some clarity to her actions in episode 2, though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Eva seems especially aggressive this episode, and it's grating as hell.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Could you make a video of this episode, Prof? I'm curious to see the differences in the way Battler's Beatrice and Rosa's Beatrice speak.
Also, BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor towards the end of the previous update links straight to youtube, rather than the Polsied version, just a heads up.
While on topic of music, is this the first time Far plays? I don't recognize it from before.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Aumanor posted:

Could you make a video of this episode, Prof? I'm curious to see the differences in the way Battler's Beatrice and Rosa's Beatrice speak.
Also, BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor towards the end of the previous update links straight to youtube, rather than the Polsied version, just a heads up.
While on topic of music, is this the first time Far plays? I don't recognize it from before.

Thanks for the heads up, it is indeed a new song.

I'll record the scene if there's a second for the request.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I will second it. It's nice to get some stuff that is not just Battler and Beatrice.

Also Far is a good song.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah I'd recommend a video too, she speaks quite softly by comparison.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I was thinking how this is the perfect time to point out how Beatrice's VA, Sayaka Ohara, also voices Irisviel from Fate/Zero and until now it was kinda hard to believe.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Request received, I'll get a recording tonight.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ushiromiya

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Not only that, but it's also the first time being introduced to my new favorite song Psy-Chorus. And it's awesome. :madmax:

Rest in peace, human Beatrice.

alcharagia posted:

ushiromiya

Yes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

I was thinking how this is the perfect time to point out how Beatrice's VA, Sayaka Ohara, also voices Irisviel from Fate/Zero and until now it was kinda hard to believe.

Oh poo poo, really? I did not pick up on that.

But something I did pick up on was how Eva and Krauss treat Rudolf and Rosa differently. Sure, they're still mocking Rudolf, but it really does feel as though it's closer to ribbing than the "go gently caress yourself" they throw at Rosa every time she opens her mouth.

This loving family, it's hard for me to want to solve the mystery when it involves dealing with 2 turbo-assholes and a sociopath.

Actually, I have no idea if Kinzo is a sociopath, or if he's got another issue. His clear inability to deal with people outside of business transactions almost makes me want to say he's probably on the spectrum, but that doesn't explain his complete lack of affection for literally everyone we've seen him interact with. So maybe he is a sociopath.

But I'm just a goon who's completely unqualified to diagnose anime characters. Gonna need more information to attempt to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I will second it. It's nice to get some stuff that is not just Battler and Beatrice.

Also Far is a good song.

Speaking of Far, its main melody seems to be something of a musical motif of the composer zts (responsible for dead angle, goldenslaughterer, worldenddominator, and more to come). It gets snuck into his other compositions, including ones unrelated to Umineko (no spoilers, it's a Touhou remix). Though I'm not sure when he started doing it.

The When They Cry series has a tradition of doing this kind of thing too. You in Higurashi and Hope in Umineko are basically main themes for their respective series, and their main melodies are everywhere.

• Locked thread