Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I liked this episode, especially the throwbacks to Army of Darkness. That said, I am on the fence about Pablo. I liked him as a character, he is my favorite Ash sidekick, but I hope they don't do something too hokey if they bring him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

unlawfulsoup posted:

I liked this episode, especially the throwbacks to Army of Darkness. That said, I am on the fence about Pablo. I liked him as a character, he is my favorite Ash sidekick, but I hope they don't do something too hokey if they bring him back.

I think they're just going to

gently caress the time line

Just gently caress it in the rear end

Also I like the little nod from Ruby about how much worse things could have gone for them in the forest. Poor Cheryl

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, that was Ted as Henrietta again. Amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the little note Ash left for Pablo, that would surely keep him from freaking out :)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God this show is magical

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This show can do no wrong.

LOVED the fakeout with Henrietta. Even fooled me! Also loved the gag that he didn't remember where he found the book - was it in the cellar from ED1 or on the table from ED2?

This is the best show on TV hands down.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alan_Shore posted:

LOVED the fakeout with Henrietta. Even fooled me! Also loved the gag that he didn't remember where he found the book - was it in the cellar from ED1 or on the table from ED2?

I knew I poo poo have hit her harder.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are we in stable time loop territory? Future Ash kills professor & (presumably) deadite student, by the time he's finished digging a grave for them Young Ash comes in and stumbles upon the book.

I want this to be subverted but OTOH it seems so obvious.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

double nine posted:

Are we in stable time loop territory? Future Ash kills professor & (presumably) deadite student, by the time he's finished digging a grave for them Young Ash comes in and stumbles upon the book.

I want this to be subverted but OTOH it seems so obvious.

I was thinking the same thing, but you just know they're gonna get Pablo back so it's gonna have to be more twisty than that.

*I want Pablo back, but a part of me feels it'd be pretty great if the thinking behind the scenes is "Everybody will be rooting for the return of Pablo...so let's have Ash fail just to mess with everyone".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I love the little note Ash left for Pablo, that would surely keep him from freaking out :)

PS: YOU WERE DEAD

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love how the note was well intentioned, but chronologically inept. If he succeeded enough to save Pablo, they would have never met in the first place and thus wouldn't be in the trunk.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm happy Army of Darkness was finally explicitly referenced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm happy Army of Darkness was finally explicitly referenced.

It wasn't necessarily. He went back in time at the end of ED2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

The entire bit with Fetus Ash in his body and how he got him out was an explicit Army of Darkness thing

Also I do love how Ash just NEVER told Kelly and Pablo about his adventures. Makes me wonder if he got into more poo poo off screen we just didn't know about

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Burkion posted:

The entire bit with Fetus Ash in his body and how he got him out was an explicit Army of Darkness thing

Yeah, but that wasn't acknowledging the events in Army of Darkness. The closest we got to a direct reference was last season with the chopping up evil clone bit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

There was a comment that Ruby made about how there are multiple timelines and fractures and that leads me to believe only one thing: Like we were joking about before, Evil Dead 1 AND 2 are going to end up canon. I wasn't serious but now I think it's actually going to happen. The fact Ash couldn't remember if the book was in it's Evil Dead 1 position or it's Evil Dead 2 position, makes me think somehow he ends up erasing all his Evil Dead 1 friends from time or something in the Evil Dead 2 timeline.

It's actually really hilarious if they bridge the series with time travel fuckery.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

He mentions going back in time to the middle ages near the beginning of the episode in the car.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Burkion posted:

Right down to putting a kettle on and coming back to it when it finishes boiling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

Also I do love how Ash just NEVER told Kelly and Pablo about his adventures. Makes me wonder if he got into more poo poo off screen we just didn't know about

It would crack me up if he casually mentioned sometime in season 6 about the time he fought Freddy Kreuger.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jerusalem posted:

It would crack me up if he casually mentioned sometime in season 6 about the time he fought Freddy Kreuger.

Or the superhero zombies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

He mentions going back in time to the middle ages near the beginning of the episode in the car.

Yes, that happens at the end of ED2.

Killing his own clone is the most explicit reference to events in AoD.

There's been plenty of homages to scenes in AoD, but they've been pretty careful to only reference events that happened in the first two movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The demon fetus telling Ash "gently caress you, Ash. Motherfucker. gently caress you!" in the helium voice was my favorite part of the episode.

This show is so magnificent.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gonz posted:

The demon fetus telling Ash "gently caress you, Ash. Motherfucker. gently caress you!" in the helium voice was my favorite part of the episode.

This show is so magnificent.

I like how the little crawly demon just had an extra random eye in its belly because why the gently caress not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Yes, that happens at the end of ED2.

Killing his own clone is the most explicit reference to events in AoD.

There's been plenty of homages to scenes in AoD, but they've been pretty careful to only reference events that happened in the first two movies.

They had to originally but they got the rights back so it doesn't matter now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just wonder if they'll reference the Evil Dead Remake just to really gently caress with heads. Knowby makes it out, redhead gets deadited, Young Ash and friends show up and they still get him to lose his hand, so he rewinds and its ED2, rewinds again and "Wait, when the gently caress was I nerdy?"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They should never reference it and pretend it doesn't exist. Like we all should.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress that was perfect.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Watching it again, it dawns on me that the businessman Ash handed his booze to is the hobo in their present. :cheers:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Command Ant posted:

Watching it again, it dawns on me that the businessman Ash handed his booze to is the hobo in their present. :cheers:

That, right there, is proof Ash isn't going to change poo poo. The reality they came from is there one they are creating "You ruined my life!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Command Ant posted:

Yeah I think that was the "You idiot, you've already changed the future" moment.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

I just wonder if they'll reference the Evil Dead Remake just to really gently caress with heads. Knowby makes it out, redhead gets deadited, Young Ash and friends show up and they still get him to lose his hand, so he rewinds and its ED2, rewinds again and "Wait, when the gently caress was I nerdy?"

Raimi had literally wanted to crossover the character from that film with Ash in a movie before the series came about. I honestly think that was the genesis for Kelly instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/ImDanaDeLorenzo/status/805881106767613954
The actress for Kelly did her own stunts last episode.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

heh, I missed these promos before the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XhN27NFXNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKi5mC3fbuQ

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 6, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Raimi had literally wanted to crossover the character from that film with Ash in a movie before the series came about. I honestly think that was the genesis for Kelly instead.

Huh, that actually really fits. I'm going with that theory.

I for one really liked the remake/reboot/whatever. It wasn't proper Evil Dead/Ash tone but it was a pretty effective and horrifying horror movie in its own rite. Also, I like to imagine that it's what happens when the Evil encounters people who aren't Ash Williams and who deal with it with abject horror instead of his Looney Tunes approach to things.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I thought the remake was just dire. It really offered nothing that the million adequately shot 'horror in a house' films have done in the last 5 years. The fact that the original Evil Deads didn't take themselves so seriously is what makes them work so well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original was as straight a horror film as you could get and it's still hilarious, in a very Black Humor kind of way, because of one eternal constant

The Evil is a DICK. It does whatever it thinks is the funniest thing at the time. Oh he burned the book? Hilarious let's blow up his friends and let him get to the car. Aaaaaaaand now possess him.

Could kill him now, but hey, why rush. Let's just gently caress with his head for a day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The remake didn't do anything unique or different, agreed. I just think its a good try at a standard horror monster/haunted house movie. Nothing groundbreaking, just a well played standard. Your interest in that may be limited but I'm one of those people who loves a solid horror film even if its old hat.

It doesn't fit with the Ash movies/TV show and I don't include it in rewatches. But from time to time I rewatch it all on its own like I would any random horror I enjoyed. I think you have to be able to remove it from the "Evil Dead" franchise to appreciate it for that same way people appreciate Halloween 3 if they just just accept it has nothing to do with Michael Myers.

I really do like this idea of "Kelly = Mia" though and the way Ash vs Evil Dead has done Baal, the children, and other demons actually fits pretty well with the demon Mia fought.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My main problem with the movie honestly is just how easy every one of the Deadites die, while the humans are loving immortal somehow.

That and it's ridiculously dark. Like, actual light levels are low

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ED 2013 was a fine modern horror movie but it would have been better if it wasn't an ED remake, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

The original was as straight a horror film as you could get and it's still hilarious, in a very Black Humor kind of way, because of one eternal constant

The Evil is a DICK.

That's really the problem with the Evil Dead re-make entirely. I don't think it was dire or bad at all, and in fact, I think it did some clever things. The only thing that made it fall apart as an Evil Dead movie is the evil just possesses you and then murders people, the end. There's no dickery. Had they cut down the dramatic rehab stuff and replaced it with "Evil loving with everyone," the movie could have honestly been far, far superior.

I mean EVERYONE has seen a million movies where the character's friends become zombies or evil and have to be dispatched; it's old hat. What Evil Dead did different is your friend might be possessed and have to be dispatched, but they might not just go and try to rip your throat out or anything.. they'll probably sit there harmlessly in a corner getting under your skin.

It's much harder to murder a possessed friend if they aren't actively trying to murder you back.. yet. And that's why Deadites are still unique. To be honest I think if they had wanted to make them serious with a few tweaks to the formula you could easily remove the comedy and still have something hosed up at the core there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread