Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Enos Cabell posted:

She made up for it in ad-revenue I'm sure. Falling in public is kind of her thing https://www.instagram.com/paigeginn/?hl=en

Be warned, there is at least one :nms: pic of a fall gone very very wrong.

Oh that's just some bruisi-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I wish I were instagram famous

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Solice Kirsk posted:

I may be wrong, but isn't there a "might = right" rule for ships/boats? Like bigger vessel always has right of way.

Technically power gives way to sail but size is the bigger concern. You can't ask a 1,000ft laker to give way to a pleasure sailing craft.

That boat was effectively adrift. It appeared un-commanded.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOTpIVxji8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

Technically power gives way to sail but size is the bigger concern. You can't ask a 1,000ft laker to give way to a pleasure sailing craft.

That boat was effectively adrift. It appeared un-commanded.

The pilot was using the head during the crash. I guess he just decided to let it drift wherever while he pooped.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The pilot was using the head during the crash. I guess he just decided to let it drift wherever while he pooped.

I'm pretty sure no matter what bathroom you're in, an air horn means pinch it off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

18 Character Limit posted:

I'm pretty sure no matter what bathroom you're in, an air horn means pinch it off.

I wonder if he's profoundly deaf or whether he was just having the best poo poo of his life and decided to risk it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

AlmightyBob posted:

this is from a storm 6 years ago in seattle, this stuff was all over the news here for a few days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

Oh man, I remember this storm. Wasn't this the one where they put a bunch of sand down on the roads to help cars keep traction?

spoiler alert: putting sand down on snowy roads does NOT help cars keep traction, nor does it melt the snow like salt does. Instead, what it does is sit around until the snow melts, and then clogs up all the street drainage systems, so you go from roads that are snowed over to roads that are flooded because none of the snowmelt can drain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You'd think they'd know better than to use sand in the Northeast, but lol connecticut.

Cross the state line and you're all "Yay, now my car won't rust—AaaahAAHAHHHHHH"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

He got to go to the broccoli farm in the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswdDZgcwHA

:3:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder why he believed them the second time

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I wonder why he believed them the second time

He's 4.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Adrift like a turd in tranquil water, he should rename his boat Dook of Earl

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Coca Koala posted:

Oh man, I remember this storm. Wasn't this the one where they put a bunch of sand down on the roads to help cars keep traction?

spoiler alert: putting sand down on snowy roads does NOT help cars keep traction, nor does it melt the snow like salt does. Instead, what it does is sit around until the snow melts, and then clogs up all the street drainage systems, so you go from roads that are snowed over to roads that are flooded because none of the snowmelt can drain.

What it does is get frozen in the ice thus providing something for tires to grip to. That said throwing down 30 tons of sand on 3 feet of snow doesn't do anyone any good.

Still somehow cheaper than plowing I guess.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Seattle doesn't do salt since it rarely gets snowy/icy here and they worry salt will gently caress up the sound/lakes and upset the salmon. Which is fine with me, stay inside when the roads suck and eat tons of delicious salmon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Nards Pan posted:

Seattle doesn't do salt since it rarely gets snowy/icy here and they worry salt will gently caress up the sound/lakes and upset the salmon. Which is fine with me, stay inside when the roads suck and eat tons of delicious salmon.

Eh, I was gonna say it was stupid to just not have a salt store and break it out when needed, but that is a decent enough reason to not use it. Here in Chicago we just plow everything into the lake and let Michigan/Wisconsin deal with it. The hell they gonna do about it?! :toughguy:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Nards Pan posted:

they do salt the roads now

Chariot
Aug 24, 2010

Memento posted:

Where does something like, say, the Nimitz fit into this diagram?

Somewhere above destroyers, I'd say. Australia cut 2 destroyers in half with the same carrier on different occasions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Voyager_collision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Evans_collision

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mak0rz posted:

This is a pretty good way to snap your leg clean in two if you're into that kinda thing.

My favorite is the woman at 0:25 in this one who is slowly sliding down an icy road in her 4000-lb crash tested air-bag equipped cage of steel and crumple zones who decides that it will be safer to bail out of her car and take her chances sliding down the road on her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLperYq2_98&t=25s

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

My favorite is the woman at 0:25 in this one who is slowly sliding down an icy road in her 4000-lb crash tested air-bag equipped cage of steel and crumple zones who decides that it will be safer to bail out of her car and take her chances sliding down the road on her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLperYq2_98&t=25s

They're a bunch of real life Grand Theft Auto NPCs

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
You can talk about right of way all you want, but when a nuclear submarine does an emergency blow underneath you, you're going to the bottom.

If you don't know what an emergency blow looks like, picture this happening underneath your boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqalX5FJ2c&t=7s

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
That's gotta be fun for the crew.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"GLUB GLUB, I'M DROWNING! Thankfully it's not my fault. I win this one! GLUB GLUB!"

Sounds like friday night at my place

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Chariot posted:

Somewhere above destroyers, I'd say. Australia cut 2 destroyers in half with the same carrier on different occasions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Voyager_collision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne%E2%80%93Evans_collision
Jeez, reading the summary of the inquires after that second one is ridiculous. USN Admiral, who was also overseeing the training operation both ships were part of, doing every kangaroo (pardon the Australian pun) court type trick to try and shift blame from the American destroyer to the RAN aircraft carrier. Banning RAN legal counsel from the proceedings, making RAN personnel swear under oath but not USN personnel, regularly intervening for USN witnesses but not for RAN witnesses, vigorously questioning RAN witnesses while not asking any questions to USN witnesses; all culminating in

quote:

The unanimous decision of the board was that although Evans was partially at fault for the collision, Melbourne had contributed by not taking evasive action sooner, even though doing this would have been a direct contravention of international sea regulations, which stated that in the lead-up to a collision, the larger ship was required to maintain course and speed.[30] The report was inconsistent in several areas with the evidence given at the inquiry, including the falsity that Melbourne's navigational lights took significant time to come to full brilliance.[31] Several facts were also edited out of the transcripts of the inquiry.[32]
I do appreciate that the RAN then held their own court martial for the carrier captain basically to officially put on the record that he did literally everything correctly by the book. And yet they still effectively killed his career with his next posting, which had already been decided even before the court martial. Gotta love military bureaucracy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

grumplestiltzkin posted:

You can talk about right of way all you want, but when a nuclear submarine does an emergency blow underneath you, you're going to the bottom.

If you don't know what an emergency blow looks like, picture this happening underneath your boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqalX5FJ2c&t=7s

The submarine was on the chart, you just couldn't see it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Places that can't drive in snow; Colorado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFMywIKzSI

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

LostCosmonaut posted:

Places that can't drive in snow; Colorado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFMywIKzSI
I don't understand Colorado at all. They advertise their great skiing, which generally indicates they get snow. Yet they're about as loving bad as Florida about removing it. I've been in the Vail pass twice now when there was a bad snowstorm and semi trucks that ignored the warning to chain up were sliding backwards down the hill with a shitload of cars stuck in the ditch/shoulder. If you lose momentum at all you're hosed. I made it through once in a tiny subcompact rental car and the second time in my Chevy Cobalt coupe because I know how to drive in snow, being from Utah. Why in the hell don't they get the snowplows out and ready to go before it starts snowing instead of letting everything turn into a giant clusterfuck and then they can't run them because the roads are all full of stuck cars?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because "lmao we're Colorado :smuggo: oh god we have no idea what we're doing"

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Random Stranger posted:

I think I need a combination of :supaburn: and :flaccid: to really convey the concept.

This was from a few pages back but:
?
or maybe
?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/OptimalAcrobaticAlpaca.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Themata posted:

?
or maybe
?

The second one, definitely.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:gonorrhea:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Themata posted:

?
or maybe
?

:stonk: What is that man doing to that poor tribble?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm loving the winter driving fails so much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Tis the Season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nliZn3KXZTA

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Tis the Season!

The perfect combination of rear end in a top hat parent and entitled children.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The parents that bought their daughter a Packers jersey should be thrown in prison! :mad:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

The parents that bought their daughter a Packers jersey should be thrown in prison! :mad:
No jury would have convicted if she had burned the whole house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't understand Colorado at all. They advertise their great skiing, which generally indicates they get snow. Yet they're about as loving bad as Florida about removing it. I've been in the Vail pass twice now when there was a bad snowstorm and semi trucks that ignored the warning to chain up were sliding backwards down the hill with a shitload of cars stuck in the ditch/shoulder. If you lose momentum at all you're hosed. I made it through once in a tiny subcompact rental car and the second time in my Chevy Cobalt coupe because I know how to drive in snow, being from Utah. Why in the hell don't they get the snowplows out and ready to go before it starts snowing instead of letting everything turn into a giant clusterfuck and then they can't run them because the roads are all full of stuck cars?

It's a combination of a few of things. Some years ago, there was a blizzard bad enough to shut down the state. And I mean actually shut it the gently caress down, for 3 days. 2' within a couple hours, and the total snowfall was 3' or so. My 85 F-250HD could crush through it and leave the undercarriage's profile behind, but people with lighter Jeeps and SUV's and such got stuck in their driveays. It was a real fun time for me as I largely had the roads to myself and was getting paid while staying home, and the only real thing I had to do was knock the snow off the trees.

Anyway, the plow trucks got out late and couldn't keep up. They started hauling the snow to some airport or parking lot or something and melted it with some goofy jet engine furnace thing. Governor Hickenlooper got a lot of poo poo for it somehow, despite not actually being the guy that tells the trucks to get started. He responded by having the guy that was in charge sending them out to salt the roads on the merest hint of forcasted snow. That got expensive pretty fast, so they stopped until a lesser blizzard happened again, and so the plow policy oscillated wildly, the end result being fairly unpredictable.

Combine that whole mess with the fast that we've had steady immigration from non-snowy places, vehicles becoming increasingly "magic" until they suddenly aren't, the wildly disparate attitudes of snow drivers (The stereotypes are that Californians with a AWD crossover will do 15mph in the left lane of the highway if it's just started snowing and the road is still black while Texans will try to do 80mph in a 4wd truck with summer tires on black ice) and the complacency of 'experienced Coloradoans', and you get a huge clusterfuck of bullshit that made winter stop being fun.