Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looking for a cooperative LCG for me and the wife to play two player. Lord of the Rings looks interesting and I see they just released Arkham Horror. What would be the best one to start out with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Different enough that it comes down to which theme you like more. LotR obviously has a lot more content available if that matters to you immediately. Arkham is less about deck building and is built to be more of a campaign/rpg-lite game whereas LotR feels more like a coop dueling card game.

If you decide on LotR I have the core/Hobbit saga expansions/first two cycles for sale in the trading thread.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm of the opinion currently that you should start with Arkham Horror right now. It seems to have learned a lot from LOTR which started off comparatively rough. If you skip right to the later LOTR quests that are designed far better it'll be pretty tough with out a decent card pool.
Plus with AH LCG the investment is so much smaller to see if the co-op LCG works for you haha. Don't have that whole mega back catalog to question if you should buy them or worry about when they'll be reprinted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

How? The Rabbit's Foot draw is a response to losing a skill check. It's not just a draw action. Card draw is always an action you have available to you; Rabbit's Foot just means failing those skill checks isn't such a blow. And no, you wouldn't have had 3 draws - like I said earlier, it's an exhaust, so once per turn only.

I'm not sure you've read the rules or cards properly.

You've not really answered anything about not using Wendy's special ability or why you were trying to draw so many cards, etc.

Yes, I know the Foot is once per turn. I'm talking about using it on three separate turns, failing a check on each. And I was trying to draw so many cards because I needed more Intellect/Wild icons to pass the check with anything other than the single +1 token.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rad Valtar posted:

Looking for a cooperative LCG for me and the wife to play two player. Lord of the Rings looks interesting and I see they just released Arkham Horror. What would be the best one to start out with?

Lotr is hard as god drat balls a lot of the time. The experiences I have had with that game is either roll over it or get rolled in 3 rounds. It's ridiculous. Arkham is much tighter as it currently stands and I would definitely recommend it assuming you were more invested in an enjoyable co-op experience than a deckbuilding toolkit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For LOTR and Arkham, what are the best ways of organizing your scenarios? Card longboxes are the only things I can think of, but does anyone have any good printable dividers or anything?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GrandpaPants posted:

For LOTR and Arkham, what are the best ways of organizing your scenarios? Card longboxes are the only things I can think of, but does anyone have any good printable dividers or anything?

I've used these for lotr. http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76256/geckoths-lotr-dividers

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jedit posted:

Yes, I know the Foot is once per turn. I'm talking about using it on three separate turns, failing a check on each. And I was trying to draw so many cards because I needed more Intellect/Wild icons to pass the check with anything other than the single +1 token.

Drawing cards wildly is real risky for the exact reasons you found out. It's not a cureall because of the weaknesses.

You still haven't answered why you didn't use Wendy's ability.

You also shouldn't be spending 3 turns in the Study. There's only 2 clues on it in 1P. That's nine chances you had to obtain two clues. Even with the obscuring fog after turn 1, that should not have taken you three turns. Before obscuring fog comes out, Wendy will succeed on 10/16 pulls (+1, 0, 0, -1, -1, -1, Skull, Skull, Cultist, Elder Sign) without committing a single thing to her test. That chance is of course higher because of Wendy's ability.

After OF comes out, you only need to find a way to either commit an additional +2 or utilize one of Wendy's many risk mitigation tools to reach the same odds. OF goes away on the first successful investigation, so don't hold back. Just get it gone.

You should really consider watching a a gameplay vid on Youtube or something, you may need to reconsider your approach. I recommend noaloha, he's pretty good. Or sell me that core set for 20, either way.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Just finished our first Arkham campaign that we started a week ago. I was Wendy and my friend was Roland. We used the default decks. Results as follows:

Found Lita, killed the ghoul priest, burned the house down.

Uncovered 5 out of 6 cultists before resigning, Wolf-man Dave escaped.

Managed to get the clues onto the act in the last turn before the Agenda would have flipped. Crisis averted! Nobody believed us though, 2 mental trauma for the both of us.

We misunderstood so many things, hard to really call it a win. I still really like it though. Definitely getting a second core set.

Stand out cards for me were Lucky, the 2 talents that let you burn resources to boost a stat (hard knocks and dig deep I think), and that event that cancels all chaos draws for your turn (Will to Survive). I don't remember all the changes I made, but I know I dropped the baseball bat, stray cat, both neutral knives, and my leather coat (since I picked up a bullet proof vest). I upgraded Luca (who I never drew), grabbed the 2 perceptions, bought Alqinnah who I never played, upgraded Get Lucky and then kept both the regular and upgraded version because it's so good. I basically ditched a lot of fight cards and let Roland deal with most monsters.

Never ended up using Wendy's amulet. Didn't draw it the first game, didn't draw events my second game, wish I'd played it my third instead of discarding it since I ended up with a ton of events in my discard that time but eh, I got a ton of mileage out of my rabbits foot.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 6, 2016

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Rad Valtar posted:

LOTR is really hardcore, so unless you big fans of the lore I would go with AH. Sure, you'll have less stuff to buy (might not be a bad thing), but it does the storytelling and immersion bit much better. Also, it really is designed around campaign play which is perfect if you can keep the same group around.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
How far are people getting into the agenda deck by the end of Scenario 1? I haven't beaten it (only using starter decks) yet, but the scenario's been ending one way or another with like 3 doom tokens on the Agenda 2 card. I'm wondering if I've missed a rule or we should be spending way more actions to build up cards/resources because the 7 and 10 doom thresholds on Agendas 2 and 3 seem really high.

Also in my first game my boyfriend and I totally missed that the final enemy in Scenario 1 has the "x the number of players" icon next to its health. I felt a little underwhelmed by how easy it was, then realized our mistake later. That would've made it much more dicey.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Context posted:

How far are people getting into the agenda deck by the end of Scenario 1? I haven't beaten it (only using starter decks) yet, but the scenario's been ending one way or another with like 3 doom tokens on the Agenda 2 card. I'm wondering if I've missed a rule or we should be spending way more actions to build up cards/resources because the 7 and 10 doom thresholds on Agendas 2 and 3 seem really high.

Also in my first game my boyfriend and I totally missed that the final enemy in Scenario 1 has the "x the number of players" icon next to its health. I felt a little underwhelmed by how easy it was, then realized our mistake later. That would've made it much more dicey.

I think they are intentionally really high just so the scenario won't end prematurely (which would be an anticlimax the first time you play). It's the first scenario after all, it's designed to be super winnable (but feel like it's still tight). I've played it 4-5 times now and not even once has the agenda deck moved to agenda 3.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
For Arkham Horror LCG does it look like two core sets will still be warranted after there's been a cycle or two of scenario packs/expansions, or is it more just the lack of a larger card pool right now that makes it necessary for deck building? I'm pretty likely to end up grabbing a bunch of expansions for it as they become available so not sure whether I should bother with two core sets from the outset.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Kerro posted:

For Arkham Horror LCG does it look like two core sets will still be warranted after there's been a cycle or two of scenario packs/expansions, or is it more just the lack of a larger card pool right now that makes it necessary for deck building? I'm pretty likely to end up grabbing a bunch of expansions for it as they become available so not sure whether I should bother with two core sets from the outset.

You definitely need 2 core sets if you ever intend to play with more than 2 people. Even setting that aside, there are some core cards I would definitely always run 2 of's given the choice.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Kerro posted:

Since you get exactly one copy of each class-specific card, I believe that dual core will provide useful for at least a couple of cycles. The thing with coop LCGs is that the expansions must contain a scenario as well, which in turn means fewer player cards. So given a pack of 60 cards, 20(?) are scenario-specific, leaving 20x2 cards for the investigators, i.e 2-3 unique cards per class per pack.

The core set gives you 14 cards per class, which is about what a cycle will give you (excluding deluxes). So if you buy two cycles including deluxes, expect that the core cards will still be about 25% of the class card pool.

You certainly won't need two cores at that point, but I can still see quite a few cards that you'd like to have two of, like Machete, Lucky!, Look what I found, Drawn to the Flame, Shrivelling, Dynamite Blast etc. Historically speaking, I think all LCG cores includes vital cards for decks long into their future.

Then again, if you are fine with a restricted deckbuilding experience, you can easily wait it out and buy it at a discount later/not at all, Dunwich Legacy should arrive quite soon too.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 6, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

the trading thread.

Where is this?? I can't find it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Board Game Trading Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008&pagenumber=45&perpage=40

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I have been using this guys, and I like them a lot.
http://www.designedbyryno.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Can somebody with more skill than me make some dividers for AH LCG?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

COOL CORN posted:

Can somebody with more skill than me make some dividers for AH LCG?

I like these:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138641/vertical-themed-dividers-sleeved-cards

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Arkham chat: Can I include a second copy of an Investigator unique asset in the deck? How much does it cost? Does it count against the 30 card limit?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Arkham chat: Can I include a second copy of an Investigator unique asset in the deck? How much does it cost? Does it count against the 30 card limit?

If you're referring to the specific cards that are ordinarily not counted against the deck limit, then no, you cannot include extra.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
On the accessories topic, I heard that 26mm coin cases work great for the chaos tokens in Arkham Horror. Anyone have any cool customizations for the game? Litko has a bunch of cool tokens. This is my first Fantasy Flight Lovecraftian game, so I didn't realize that many of the tokens in Arkham Horror LCG were universal to other games made by them, meaning there's a lot of stuff out there already. This token set is pretty cool, but it's the price of a core set and is probably tight on tokens for a two player game. I do like these health and sanity dials.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

BJPaskoff posted:

On the accessories topic, I heard that 26mm coin cases work great for the chaos tokens in Arkham Horror. Anyone have any cool customizations for the game? Litko has a bunch of cool tokens. This is my first Fantasy Flight Lovecraftian game, so I didn't realize that many of the tokens in Arkham Horror LCG were universal to other games made by them, meaning there's a lot of stuff out there already. This token set is pretty cool, but it's the price of a core set and is probably tight on tokens for a two player game. I do like these health and sanity dials.

Haven't done so yet, but my SO and I are going to get this or similar as a replacement for our chaos cup, which now is a normal teacup. Accidents have already happened...

Zerf fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Different enough that it comes down to which theme you like more. LotR obviously has a lot more content available if that matters to you immediately. Arkham is less about deck building and is built to be more of a campaign/rpg-lite game whereas LotR feels more like a coop dueling card game.

If you decide on LotR I have the core/Hobbit saga expansions/first two cycles for sale in the trading thread.

I would love the LotT stuff but with a kid who has her first Christmas and a birthday in the next month I'm guessing the asking price would be high enough my wife would kill me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A buddy of mine got a bunch of those little lozenge coin cases from some Chinese seller. $6.50 for 100 of them. Don't know the details yet (I'll find out), but here's the pic he posted on Facebook

http://i.imgur.com/W45TDud.png

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I like the idea of custom tokens but the glaring HEALTH SANITY CLUE lettering is really obnoxious to me.

Like for real if i want to buy custom poo poo i am pretty sure i don't need that kind of labeling

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

A buddy of mine got a bunch of those little lozenge coin cases from some Chinese seller. $6.50 for 100 of them. Don't know the details yet (I'll find out), but here's the pic he posted on Facebook

I swung by a really run down coin collector shop outside of Bellevue and they wanted $1.50 each for those coin lozenges. Good to know I wasn't wrong to think they were nuts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ConfusedUs posted:

Would appreciate the information. The ones on Amazon are about $7 for 10, which seems insane to me, but they're probably sturdier than the cheap Chinese stuff. Luckily I'm not housing ancient coins.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I swung by a really run down coin collector shop outside of Bellevue and they wanted $1.50 each for those coin lozenges. Good to know I wasn't wrong to think they were nuts.

There's a hobby store near me that wanted $1 for each of them, and they were square. I probably could have talked him down in price because I'm fairly sure he's had them forever, but at some point I'll find them for $6.50 for 100 and my friend can have some also.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Friend hasn't replied yet, but I found 25 of them on Amazon for $9, prime eligible.

I also found a 100 pack like he was talking about for ~6.50 + shipping on Ebay. Don't know what shipping would cost. I think this is probably what he bought, since the price is about right and ships from China.

Edit: he says he got them from Amazon but the seller is now out of the 26mm ones. The EBay ones are identical.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 6, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sloober posted:

I like the idea of custom tokens but the glaring HEALTH SANITY CLUE lettering is really obnoxious to me.

Like for real if i want to buy custom poo poo i am pretty sure i don't need that kind of labeling

They got other varieties. I got some red tentacles, magnifying glasses, and hearts/minds-none with words. It's just been kinda a pain finding something for resources-there's a site in Russia with some that look cool, but shipping's 2-4 weeks and I hope in that time someone closer will be doing some. I also found some mini-crates on etsy (I guess used for one of the star wars games) but they wanted 12 bucks for 8 which is a bit higher than I wanted to go now.

Also it's funny how difficult it's been to find just miniature dollars (which I'd use for resources, iirc the board game uses dollars for resource tokens anyway). Only the russian site I saw had them. But there's like 1000 different brain/heart tokens (some even fully 3d).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

You should really consider watching a a gameplay vid on Youtube or something, you may need to reconsider your approach. I recommend noaloha, he's pretty good.

I'll take a look at it. This isn't a game I'm making GBS threads on to be edgy or contrarian, I really want it to be good and so far I've been very disappointed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

Friend hasn't replied yet, but I found 25 of them on Amazon for $9, prime eligible.

I also found a 100 pack like he was talking about for ~6.50 + shipping on Ebay. Don't know what shipping would cost. I think this is probably what he bought, since the price is about right and ships from China.

Edit: he says he got them from Amazon but the seller is now out of the 26mm ones. The EBay ones are identical.

Can you link to the eBay one? The only ones I can find are $26 for 100.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

COOL CORN posted:

Can you link to the eBay one? The only ones I can find are $26 for 100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Clear-26mm-Plastic-Coin-Capsules-Coins-Containers-Boxes-Holders-Storage-/172213882088#shpCntId

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Zerf posted:

Haven't done so yet, but my SO and I are going to get this or similar as a replacement for our chaos cup, which now is a normal teacup. Accidents have already happened...

That thing looks more prone to accidents than a simple teacup. Besides stability problems, you may be playing the game and suddenly and through no fault of your own sacrifice a goat, for example.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Aw, out of stock :(

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

BJPaskoff posted:

I would be shocked (shocked I say!) if we don't see some fancy custom acrylic tokens for Arkham Horror coming out of Team Covenant in the next few months. Their Star Wars Destiny set just came out, so I would expect this game to be next on their list.

I'm finding surprisingly few good storage options for AH. The box is too small for a Broken Token Insert, and shoe-box style white cardboard is just... boring.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

COOL CORN posted:

Aw, out of stock :(

There are lots of other sellers/etc if you look at similar items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
You know what I'd actually like to pimp out my game?

Dunwich Legacy :( When is it duuueeee?