Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Soup du Journey posted:

Has anyone here tried Pocket Space Empire? It's got a terrible name, but it seems to be a ck2-style cat wrangling simulator, except this time in space.

Voiceover on the intro video makes me uncomfortable tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Meta-Mollusk posted:

So besides the upcoming Monks & Mystics (which looks amazing), the expansions I'm missing are Charlemagne, The Reaper's Due, Way of Life, Horse Lords and Conclave plus their content packs. Are all of those worth buying? I remember hearing some mixed opinions about Conclave at least.

Way of Life, Conclave, and Reaper's Due are absolute musts. Horse Lords is great for ridiculously fun and OP nomads, Charlemagne gets you an extra hundred years to play with.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Meta-Mollusk posted:

So besides the upcoming Monks & Mystics (which looks amazing), the expansions I'm missing are Charlemagne, The Reaper's Due, Way of Life, Horse Lords and Conclave plus their content packs. Are all of those worth buying? I remember hearing some mixed opinions about Conclave at least.

The mixed opinions about Conclave were mostly in response to the free patch that came with it, which added infamy and coalitions. The actual DLC itself is good.

Only get Horse Lords if you plan on playing nomads but other than that I'd say all that DLC is worthwhile. If you only get one, then I'd say pick Way of Life.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

you don't want to be the emPHHHHeror???

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Way of life definitely is. I personally found the Charlemagne event stuff a bit boring but i guess it depends how interested in that part of history you are. Horse lords is fun for romping around as an unstoppable nomad horde but I wouldn't call it essential.

I only recently started playing again and this is my first time with both conclave and reaper's due. I'm having a great time with Reaper. All the illness stuff is really fun as isthe added flavour for executions. (I had my court physician mauled to death by bears). I found conclave a bit frustrating until I understood a bit more about the council system but I like it quite a bit now. It makes things harder but mostly in a fun way. The education system is less fiddly than the old one but it's more obtuse. I always have to alt-tab to the wiki to work out what traits turn to what with which educators. I'd say it's more of a side-step in quality from the old system.

So yeah, i'd say all but charlemagne are worth getting. A lot of the conclave stuff that was unpopular was part of the patch and so is in the game anyway unless you've rolled the version back. Shattered retreats were the thing people disliked the most and you can know turn that off, so it's not a big issue.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I really hope that that's just the programmer doing a lazy voiceover and not that they actually hired someone and decided that that was what they were going for

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i think its just the dev's girlfriend or something. i went to his website and he seems to be some middle aged dude in poland

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2016

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations! Guess I'll just get all of them the next time there's a sale. :)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Soup du Journey posted:

Has anyone here tried Pocket Space Empire? It's got a terrible name, but it seems to be a ck2-style cat wrangling simulator, except this time in space.

I have. It's alright. Very-definitely-alpha-tier alpha (or, it was, I only just noticed he's decided he's at release now), but I like it because it doesn't feel much like your standard space 4X at all. It replaces or just straight up dumps a whole bunch of the old, tried and tested systems that came out of MoO, in favour of a bunch of random, incoherent poo poo that I think the dev must have thought up while drunk and then threw together to see what would happen. The result is often interesting, often terrible, and sometimes just plain weird.

What it isn't is CK. There's person management in there, but it's much more abstract and hands off.

If you're at all interested I'd say check it out, if only because I want a second opinion on it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Soup du Journey posted:

you don't want to be the emPHHHHeror???

It's more that I don't like the feeling that the game is trying to seduce me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^ Well someone isn't suited for CK2 :colbert:

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I would spring for Reaper's Due and Way of Life without hesitation. I personally consider Conclave very worth it too, it adds a lot of depth to managing a realm that really improves things. Horse Lords depends on whether you want to play those dudes (You should, it kicks rear end). Charlie is more take-or-leave; do you give a poo poo about the dude in question and/or do you want the start date pushed back even earlier?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Don't you also need Charlemagne if you want to make custom empires?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Vengarr posted:

Don't you also need Charlemagne if you want to make custom empires?

Yes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You also need to be willing to console cheat, because otherwise your ruler's going to have to live to be 80 to accumulate enough prestige to make a custom empire without owning more than enough land to create a de jure one.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah, custom empires are really only feasible if you win a bunch of wars early in your ruler's life then spend the rest of it partying constantly. Waiting to create loads of titles until you are near the prestige cap also helps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Custom empires are the enemy of pretty borders.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

Well, the physician that cut my face off had 30 learning, so I'd still consider it a bit risky.

But did it work?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Custom empires have the prettiest borders, ones that follow your heart.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

True I like to let the Bulgarians have their empire

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You also need to be willing to console cheat, because otherwise your ruler's going to have to live to be 80 to accumulate enough prestige to make a custom empire without owning more than enough land to create a de jure one.
nah son, you need to be constantly warring is my thought: battles give prestige, winning wars does and then finally forming the titles. Raiding via ships can help but for it to work well by itself you need to have enough troops to brutalize, so several thousand at the very least if you wanna do it in a timely manner but if you just do it to supplament it can be good

VV

Yeah, tributaries are another good way; I'd usually tribute the big players and conquer the small.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 7, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tributary wars. Each one gets you an easy 200 prestige (plus whatever you get from battles, siege, etc), and then every tributary you get makes the next one even easier. There are tons of tiny countries within diplo range that you can beat up, especially if you're tribal and can keep that tribal army stack rolling. Ireland alone is 2k+ prestige worth of tributaries.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

But custom empires immediately de jure shift your existing kingdoms into them, which can be a big advantage over crating a de jure empire.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

UrbicaMortis posted:

Well, the physician that cut my face off had 30 learning, so I'd still consider it a bit risky.

But did it cure your rash?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Skellybones posted:

But did it cure your rash?

I mean, yeah, but I was kind of hoping for some ointment or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ointment isn't adventurous enough. The physicians in Reaper's Due are medical trailblazers, pursuing the radical new theory that the root of all disease is in the balls.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ointment isn't adventurous enough. The physicians in Reaper's Due are medical trailblazers, pursuing the radical new theory that the root of all disease is in the balls.

Secondary ball cysts may form in other extremities, as well.

The face is an extremity, right? Better safe than sorry!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So I've been playing the warhammer mod and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the attention they gave to not-arabia. Like, a lot of the stuff they have is transparently reskinned muslim stuff, but they have stuff like a not-mecca that also doubles as an academy of magic, temple holdings that have buildings dedicated to different philosophical sects as well as bound demons as special troops. In fact, their entire set of buildings for all holdings is really, really different from vanilla, with cities getting stuff like imported monster-pits, and castles having maze-citadels and this sort of thing is true of a good deal of the map.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods, hundreds of years of work ruined because of Tanistry

Why the hell does the AI not prioritize giving lands first to their loving kids and THEN, THEN making random dude grant titles??

I had the entirety of New England, the Maritimes and Arctica under the Barfield Dynasty in the Titular Kingdom of Vermont,so I console into a dynastic conqueror in Jamaica to break that sad outfit up and a few generations later as I finally usurp the Empire and get elected as the king of Vermont again, they've LOST ALL MY LANDS. Huge swathes of morons whos first thought as they got a bit over the demesne limit was "Welp, better hand these precious counties over to some random assholes instead of my sons or something" until they're now outnumbered by non-Barfields. There were even some duchies where they'd completely died out somehow, which isn't even supposed to be possible with tanistry but I guess they must have lost to either elective revolts or fabricated claims from their stupid new vassals.

Time to decide whether I'm gonna console things or just go tyrannical as hell and revoke like a motherfucker I suppose

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I love tanistry in the early game, but it's a terrible disaster if anyone with a different culture could possibly inherit, as they revert to gavelkind. Which really seems wrong to me: what happened to new rulers not being able to change rules until they've reigned for 10 years?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Oh dear me posted:

I love tanistry in the early game, but it's a terrible disaster if anyone with a different culture could possibly inherit, as they revert to gavelkind. Which really seems wrong to me: what happened to new rulers not being able to change rules until they've reigned for 10 years?

The game automatically resets to...usually Gavelkind, I think - when a title has an invalid succession law (say, when a non-Celt inherits a Tanistry title or when a non-Muslim inherits an Open title) - this isn't subject to the ten year cooldown.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

The game automatically resets to...usually Gavelkind, I think - when a title has an invalid succession law (say, when a non-Celt inherits a Tanistry title or when a non-Muslim inherits an Open title) - this isn't subject to the ten year cooldown.

That's what I said - I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be like that. If a realm has tanistry succession, why would they change it just because a non-Celt inherits, when they won't agree to change any other rule for 10 years?

(I expect the reason is to nerf tanistry.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Oh dear me posted:

A thing that always bugged me is how regents can force you to lower your Crown Authority multiple times, one right after the next, but you, as a ruler, can only change it once in your whole lifetime. And unfortunately, in that case, if the regent does it on your behalf, it still counts as your decision. My own frickin' mother instituted Autonomous Vassals last time I was in a regency, wtf mom?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

That's what I said - I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be like that. If a realm has tanistry succession, why would they change it just because a non-Celt inherits, when they won't agree to change any other rule for 10 years?

(I expect the reason is to nerf tanistry.)

I don't think there is any other reason than preventing weirder things to happen - like inheriting a theocracy and getting stuck with Open Elective, for example. The game just checks periodically If a method of inheritance is available for you, determines that nope, it isn't and changes it to the default one.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gavelkind isn't the end of the world, really. So long as you're doing the ABC it's zero problems really, barring some bad luck

Tanistry is honestly the only vaguely different law so I think it's sorta nonsensical that it's only available to certain cultures. An optional rule called "interesting inheritances" or something allowing tanistry for errybody and enatic would be good I feel.

Or even Open, because after all it was more of a Turkic system than just a muslim one ehhhhh

Give me more wacky laws! Give me the ability to lock in Enatic Elective or something cray like that.

Crow Jane posted:

A thing that always bugged me is how regents can force you to lower your Crown Authority multiple times, one right after the next, but you, as a ruler, can only change it once in your whole lifetime. And unfortunately, in that case, if the regent does it on your behalf, it still counts as your decision. My own frickin' mother instituted Autonomous Vassals last time I was in a regency, wtf mom?
Hasn't it now been changed to once every fiddy years or something?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

Get Conclave

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It'll be a Steam Christmas sale purchase for sure. I've been holding off, because despite the shameful amount of hours I've put into this game, I'm still not very good at it, and from the sound of things Conclave can add frustration as well as delightful horse antics. Still, may as well go all in, I suppose

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

An optional rule called "interesting inheritances" or something allowing tanistry for errybody and enatic would be good I feel.

Or even Open, because after all it was more of a Turkic system than just a muslim one ehhhhh

Give me more wacky laws! Give me the ability to lock in Enatic Elective or something cray like that.

I would so go for this.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Hi! I have questions.

I wanted to jump back into CK2 recently, about 4 years after I bought it, obviously I have no idea what I'm doing again. But I'm having this creeping feeling that I remember why I stopped playing in the first place- what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim? I'm having trouble figuring out what my options are- how much can I do through diplomacy or options other than war? Everything's nested within menus within other menus. Maybe I need a good tutorial that includes modern changes?

Thank you.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chewbot posted:

Hi! I have questions.

I wanted to jump back into CK2 recently, about 4 years after I bought it, obviously I have no idea what I'm doing again. But I'm having this creeping feeling that I remember why I stopped playing in the first place- what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim? I'm having trouble figuring out what my options are- how much can I do through diplomacy or options other than war? Everything's nested within menus within other menus. Maybe I need a good tutorial that includes modern changes?

Thank you.

CK2 is very much a game where you set your own goals. A lot of people like to roleplay as their character, making decisions as they think someone with their personality traits actually would, rather than just powergaming. If you're looking for something a bit more structured, there are a number of achievements you could try for, like " As a Norse character, become King of Mongolia."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My current goal, as the god-badshah of mega-Hispania, is basically "kill whitey"

• Locked thread