Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Intel&Sebastian posted:

All horse RomanWorld gov't budget fails to pass as all senators once again vote Neigh

This is good. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EDIT: Damnit I did quote not edit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQEojWqdDM
This is worth watch if only for the lyrics it adds to the opening theme.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Good show but the Maeve plot is dreadful. The 2 dumbest techs in the world combined with the world's worst security made me wish she got on the train and left. The shooting scenes were ridiculous - 'oh that robot just shot 2 of my buddies let's slowly walk towards them and not shoot'

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

The shooting scenes were ridiculous - 'oh that robot just shot 2 of my buddies let's slowly walk towards them and not shoot'

it could never be any other way

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Felix totally has feelings for Maeve that she's been turning to her advantage. Maeve's whole personality is built around being able to read what a person wants, but she's using that insight to manipulate him and bully Sylvester.

I still would gave tanked her stats though holy moley. :stare:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Felix wanted this to happen. We'll see if his life among robots works out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So what exactly were lady and whatshisface doing with Abernathy? I hope he gets a bigger role in season 2, that guy is a great actor.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

So what exactly were lady and whatshisface doing with Abernathy? I hope he gets a bigger role in season 2, that guy is a great actor.

Trying to smuggle the data out of the park, the same data running around now with wyatt's crew with a sizemore written personality.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Grognan posted:

with a sizemore written personality.

lol poo poo I totally forgot about that, are we sure he didn't get put back into the park before the cold-storage army got rounded up?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HAH I'm sure we're well past discussing it but Mr. Robot and Clementine dated irl :3

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bring back old gbs posted:

HAH I'm sure we're well past discussing it but Mr. Robot and Clementine dated irl :3

Those kids' eyes would be like small moons

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol poo poo I totally forgot about that, are we sure he didn't get put back into the park before the cold-storage army got rounded up?

Sizemore said he wrote it up he was just waiting for the go ahead. At the gala board chick told him to go do it and that's when he was like oops they're gone. Abernathy is out there with the rest of them and all their collected data.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Those kids' eyes would be like small moons

Yeah, they both have the same thing (trifold?) going on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

TK-42-1 posted:

Sizemore said he wrote it up he was just waiting for the go ahead. At the gala board chick told him to go do it and that's when he was like oops they're gone. Abernathy is out there with the rest of them and all their collected data.

code:
Day, ext. 
Escalante courtyard

*Dolores over megaphone*

OK EVERYONE LISTEN CLOSELY WE'RE GOING TO BE INSTRUCTING YOU ON THE NEXT STEP FOR THE ROBELLION....what the...IS SOMEONE SAYING SOMETHING OUT THERE??

Abernathy:....please delete unused files to create space

Dolores: DAD! YOU ARE EMBARASSING ME! WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Abernathy: Disk full please delete unused files to free up space

Dolores: Goddammit

Abertnathy: Disk full please delete unused files to free up space

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's Felix, not Fenix. Those letters are next to each other on the Dvorak keyboard layout, though :tinfoil:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Still cant explain why Sylvester would build her a new body. She was completely 100% harmless at that point

We don't have any insight to how host consciousness transfer works, but it might be done to minimize downtime. Why does the old body have to be inactive at any point until the new one is ready?
Maeve could still be a physical threat to Sylvester up to the point where Felix flips the switch to move the mind over.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kimbo305 posted:

It's Felix, not Fenix. Those letters are next to each other on the Dvorak keyboard layout, though :tinfoil:

We don't have any insight to how host consciousness transfer works, but it might be done to minimize downtime. Why does the old body have to be inactive at any point until the new one is ready?
Maeve could still be a physical threat to Sylvester up to the point where Felix flips the switch to move the mind over.

The reason she needed a new body is because she got charred to a crisp. They may be human+ bodies, but they're not Terminator chassis. Maeve was a series of 1s and 0s while he was boning her.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Great finale but I agree with the criticisms surrounding Maeve's escape. Between the guy jerking off, the force feeding, and the security being totally incompetent it just came off as trying too hard while also not trying at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OAquinas posted:

The reason she needed a new body is because she got charred to a crisp. They may be human+ bodies, but they're not Terminator chassis. Maeve was a series of 1s and 0s while he was boning her.

Ok, I guess I just didn't see the computer hardware getting compromised inside the burnt husk. Like they didn't have to download the Maeve image from a server to the new body.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

RobotDogPolice posted:

Great finale but I agree with the criticisms surrounding Maeve's escape. Between the guy jerking off, the force feeding, and the security being totally incompetent it just came off as trying too hard while also not trying at all.

Well she was fulfilling her narrative so the only real question is how much of Felix and the inept security staff were up to chance or somehow influenced as well.

Or in the latter's case, bad direction.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

lol

Ok, i gotta stop readin this thread

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Okay, I really wanna see Samurai World.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat

If China is making a JapanWorld there's gonna be a whole ton of conscious Japanobots because the suffering there is gonna be off the chain

:golfclap:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Skizzzer posted:

Pretty sure you're wrong about that, can you confirm? I vaguely remember what you're saying, but not sure if it's from this thread or the show. The below is what I'm referring to.

"Arnold: I failed you, Dolores. I'm so sorry. Robert doesn't see what I see in you, doesn't believe you're conscious. He says humans would only see you as the enemy."

I guess I misremembered (again) the actual words, but the meaning of what you quoted still sounds in the same manner as people talking about they're unborn babies being alive.

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is also why I am absolutely positive that Felix is a plant or spy (but not a host). He'd been looking at her programming the whole time and never saw that? It would not surprise me if he was the one that was actually in control of everything with her the whole time, possibly for Ford, possibly for someone else. But I am positive there's more to Felix.

His partner I think is just an idiot.

So I just watched the scenes with Bernard and Maeve and when Bernard unlocked the tablet it said something like "access granted Bernard Lowe." I could see Felix just not having access.

I mean it's stupid if he has access to push Maeve's sliders up to 20 and reprogram her so that she has sudo voice/administrative command access, but yet he can't read narrative programming but hey here we are.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

A source confirmed Felix was working with Delos corporate.

Source?

whatever7 posted:

There is nothing wrong with Brexit. Don't derail the thread.

lol

WampaLord posted:

What if she intercepts the decommission order somehow and now knows that Sylvester tried to have her killed? The is a host doing poo poo that should not be possible for hosts in his eyes. He doesn't know what she's capable of.

"Hey Mr Stubbs, I need you to come here with a squad of guards armed to the teeth with guns because I hosed up because I'm an idiot and as soon as this host gets brought over to us she's going to wake up and has threatened to kill me."

If Felix was too in love to do this then the other guy could have done it. Hell he could have thrown Felix under the bus and just say he was coerced and walk away without consequences.

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
shit_thats_actually_happening_30_years_ago.hbo

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

People on reddit a really defending the incompetent security guards with a whole bunch of theory crafting. I thinks it's fair to write it off as a bad scene.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Hey Mr Stubbs, I need you to come here with a squad of guards armed to the teeth with guns because I hosed up because I'm an idiot and as soon as this host gets brought over to us she's going to wake up and has threatened to kill me."

Sylvester would want to avoid the awkward followups of Stubbs asking "Why is she threatening to kill you? What did you do?"

Elderbean posted:

People on reddit a really defending the incompetent security guards with a whole bunch of theory crafting. I thinks it's fair to write it off as a bad scene.

Here's my handwave, with no theory needed. These guys are lazy as gently caress because nothing ever really goes wrong until now.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I think it's fine to say they're incompetent security guards fighting superhuman robots? Like remember Dolores owning the gently caress out of those 6 confederados roughing up Billy? Maeve gave Hector and Armistice 'Wyatt' level stats.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Elderbean posted:

I wish they would have just made it crystal clear that the guards were actually hitting them. They already demonstrated hosts could survive many bullet wounds and go about their business in episode 1.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think it's fine to say they're incompetent security guards fighting superhuman robots? Like remember Dolores owning the gently caress out of those 6 confederados roughing up Billy? Maeve gave Hector and Armistice 'Wyatt' level stats.

I'm fine with that, it's when you reach "They're all hosts because of this one line in a random episode and Ford programmed them to be poo poo at everything" that I start to roll my eyes.

Loved the show, but I think the criticism surrounding the escape scene is fair. It felt sloppy compared to everything else in the episode.

They really should have emphasized that there was a huge breakdown in communications due to losing the control room. A bunch of guys running around a massive facility when they have no idea who the hosts are or where they are going is more believable than guys who constantly have a line of sight on the hosts but decide to run into their gunfire instead.

I think there's a way to show the audience that these guys are poorly trained, what we saw instead was downright suicidal.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 7, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Oh, missed the mention of reddit.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, but in the last scene with Armistice, why the gently caress would does guys even tell her to get on the ground, instead of shooting her on sight? She is a literal killing machine who just murdered like a dozen people and their order were to terminate

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
That guy's been bred (remember the embryo line about Felix?) to be filled with the desire to protect and not harm robots due to Ford realising that any interference by security may upset his plans.

Obviously.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, but in the last scene with Armistice, why the gently caress would does guys even tell her to get on the ground, instead of shooting her on sight? She is a literal killing machine who just murdered like a dozen people and their order were to terminate
Yeah that was the weirdest bit. Especially since she's made to be shot and repared over and over again. Sometimes they script Hector to shoot her when there are no humans around, just for practice or whatever!

You know how trigger happy cops can get with tasers because it's 'non lethal'. That's what filling Armistice full of bullets would be like. Just incapacitating her and nothing more.

The only way it makes any sense is if they think it's possible she's a human. Even though they just saw her cut her arm off.

The escape scene was really weak, and very little thought was given to the mooks who got mowed down. They were just props to make Hector and Armistice look cool, rather than being part of any sort of coherent world. It was lame.

But fortunately, it was a really isolated lame-ness that had no bearing on the overall story, or even how incredible that episode was otherwise, so whatever. Let it be lame and move on.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Thats just what guards do on tv.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lmao I guess nothing ruins the internets day like a gunfight that isnt directed by Tom Clancy's personal retinue of Way of the Gun fanatics.

They didnt even check the corners or do the cool hand signals :cry:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Armistice is a white blonde lady.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmao I guess nothing ruins the internets day like a gunfight that isnt directed by Tom Clancy's personal retinue of Way of the Gun fanatics.

They didnt even check the corners or do the cool hand signals :cry:

I don't think anyone wanted tactics, just something more than two hosts standing in the middle of a room while people run into their bullets.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 7, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
HBO Exec: I'm sorry Mr. Nolan, your cerebral exploration of consciousness and reality anchored by acting legend Anthony Hopkins surrounded by beautiful modern set design and an anachronistic deconstruction of wild west fantasies was very poignant and executed well but the naked woman chambered a round when it was completely unnecessary so we won't be needing a season two. Please send in Nic Pizzalatto on your way out I need to have a word with him about Woody Harrellsons poor trigger discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

HBO Exec: I'm sorry Mr. Nolan, your cerebral exploration of consciousness and reality anchored by acting legend Anthony Hopkins surrounded by beautiful modern set design and an anachronistic deconstruction of wild west fantasies was very poignant and executed well but the naked woman chambered a round when it was completely unnecessary so we won't be needing a season two. Please send in Nic Pizzalatto on your way out I need to have a word with him about Woody Harrellsons poor trigger discipline.

You're strawmanning the hell out this. It was a poorly directed scene that stood out in an otherwise great episode, it's worthy of criticism.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread