Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Fooz posted:

Why's that? The roomscale oculus total is 80$ more, but the quality is more than 80$ better IMO. Plus more/better software. Unless you have a huge playspace and want to use all of it.

how is the roomscale 80 dollars better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I mean the quality of the package at parity. Controller and HMD quality. The roomscale is limited to a smaller space though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the unspoken is really fun and intense, I'm glad they shipped it as a free title though, otherwise it'd be hard to find a game and it's pretty much pvp only, there's no story mode (which seems odd to me)
sports is more fun than i expected, not really a sports fan but it isn't reallllly heavy on the sports, it skips to the "best parts" so to speak. I didn't like / get into the basketball at all though
accounting was, eh, a fun 20m but the court layers parody joke fell flat

weirdly, steamvr won't track my remotes in room setup, so I have to set it to "standing only", but they seem to work fine in the lab and other steamvr games.

I've noticed no issues with controller tracking even with two cameras doing the 360 split setup, and I've got a 2mx2m space.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe we can just leave it at both HMD and controller are down to personal preference? (I know we won't but in theory we could!)

I'm gonna have to rethink my playspace. I'm at the bare minimum of what they'll allow and I've already smacked my hand once.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Maybe we can just leave it at both HMD and controller are down to personal preference? (I know we won't but in theory we could!)

I do put IMO in subjective posts and this is a discussion board. I own both anyways.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AndrewP posted:

My review after 20 minutes of Touch:

This is the greatest toy in the history of the world

I just had time to run through the thing with the robot and the floppy disks before having to go back to work.

Can confirm that it is amazing and I really like the controllers so far.

Also, the headset cable isn't long enough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey how about this cool and good for VR thing?

Khronos Virtual Reality Standard Initiative posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Fooz posted:

I mean the quality of the package at parity. Controller and HMD quality. The roomscale is limited to a smaller space though.

I'd be interested to hear how Accounting works in touch. I have a middling-sized Vive space, and some of the things are just baaaaarely reachable, for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow, AMD has money to devote to a VR standards board?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Wow, AMD has money to devote to a VR standards board?

What does PSVR run on

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does it? I only see a smattering of articles from 6 months ago speculating about AMD. I'd forgotten about them.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
AMD make the GPUs for both major consoles; even if their PC market share were zero they'd still be doing absolutely fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my touch controllers and they are pretty awesome. I don't have very much space for VR stuff so I'll have to move things around a bit.I think I prefer the Touch controllers to the Vive wands. I can see why some people would say they are too small. The handle could probably stand to be a bit longer. Other than that, I'm enjoying them.

Also, you can totally crawl on the ground with them. Just as easily as you could with a vive wand at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's rapidly looking that way. Nvidia didn't even make a bid for the last round of consoles against AMD iirc due to it not being very profitable. Selling 40 million chips in PS4s over three years isn't really a white hot business model compared to 170 million laptops a year or 100 million desktops a year.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Would love a review on Arizona Sunshine if anyone has picked it up. It's the one title I'm still waffling on.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yoooooo Ripcoil is THE poo poo

the way you lean to move is just brilliant

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So Job Simulator isn't free for any reason, right? Wanted to check before I bought it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

My review after 20 minutes of Touch:

This is the greatest toy in the history of the world

Holy poo poo does this own.

Edit: Weird how it doesn't explicitly show you how to put the straps on.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 7, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Holy poo poo does this own.

Edit: Weird how it doesn't explicitly show you how to put the straps on.

the straps are killing me.

I just danced in front of my virtual mirror for five minutes

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Arizona Sunshine is a little mixed for me. The teleport locomotion is awkward, and I'm currently completely stuck on this one horde scene which is more frustrating than fun.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
These Half Life 2-esque load times are killing me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah. I'm on a min spec system, and on the plus side the performance is perfect (though the graphics look like they're probably at low presets for me), but the load times are very long.

Gameplay wise, I seem to be really bad at precision shooting with a pistol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Anyone else have an old i7 3770? That's the only part of my system that doesnt meet the min spec, hoping I can squeeze by.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
All these complex crazy games and I think I spent more time playing fake pool and air hockey than anything else. The Sports Bar VR is pretty neat.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Anyone else have an old i7 3770? That's the only part of my system that doesnt meet the min spec, hoping I can squeeze by.

I am on exactly that. Everything has been fine for me, though it does give me the "your system doesn't meet the min spec" banner.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have a i7-2600 and haven't found a game that runs poorly yet. I can run sports vr on ultra. I wish I could get rid of that stupid banner!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Surely someone has played the Unspoken by now, how is it

I hate competitive multiplayer esports stuff and this game is actually really good, because the pacing is brilliant.

Call of Duty is like oh, I peeked my head out, now I'm dead.

Unspoken is like, guy threw a Fireball at me and I punched it back with my shield, oh I better teleport over there and get that gem, now he's trying to drop a car on my head, need to find cover, now I'm hiding behind a picket fence that he's chipping away at while I'm frantically trying to assemble a golem out of doll parts, I got the last piece in and now it turned into huge Iron Giant summon that is crushing my opponent underfoot.

Lots of strategy, placement, anticipation and headgames with your opponent, along with some good old reaction time. Oh, and voice chat is on by default so you can taunt or compliment each other which is actually nice in a one-on-one environment.

AndrewP posted:

Yoooooo Ripcoil is THE poo poo

the way you lean to move is just brilliant

I had to NOPE out of that game so loving fast, like two minutes or so. I was almost falling over in real life and there's not much deadzone in the middle for leaning so my equilibrium thought I was standing on a hoverboard, with some nausea on top of that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That's awesome to hear! :toot:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I had to NOPE out of that game so loving fast, like two minutes or so. I was almost falling over in real life and there's not much deadzone in the middle for leaning so my equilibrium thought I was standing on a hoverboard, with some nausea on top of that.

I didn't have nausea but I definitely almost fell over a few times. Especially when I felt like I was gonna slam into the wall.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dead and buried is really good.

Add me on oculus and steam if you want to try some coop stuff. Username: floorislava

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Apparently I'm in 5th place on the VR Sports Challenge hockey leaderboard. I had way too much fun with that one. I think the hockey and football modes are pretty great. What's neat is that as you complete challenges, you earn the ability to do more things. So you start off in hockey with just blocking shots and making breakaway goals, but then you unlock more complex stuff, like face-offs, enemy breakaways, fighting, etc. In football I've unlocked the ability to call my own plays. I don't know what other things I can unlock yet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bullfrog posted:

Arizona Sunshine is a little mixed for me. The teleport locomotion is awkward, and I'm currently completely stuck on this one horde scene which is more frustrating than fun.

I was looking forward to trying it tonight but gently caress this headache that won't go away. What's the enemy variety like?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn The Lab's Archery is good. Talk about nailing the (relative) feeling of a bow and arrow.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Republicans posted:

I was looking forward to trying it tonight but gently caress this headache that won't go away. What's the enemy variety like?

Zombies. Some fast, some slow. That's all I've seen, at least. The models are relatively varied (not l4d quality, though).

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Superhot VR is rad
https://www.twitch.tv/w00tazn/v/105816804

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
VR sports is really good. I was expecting some dumb wii sports poo poo but the games are actually really fun. I'm not very good at the hockey one because it seems you have to hold the stick at a weird angle. It's fun when I can get it to work though. I didn't play much basketball because the ball is too easy to throw. You just gesture at the basket and the ball shoots across the court. Football is really fun.

I played Ripcoil but I don't think I'll play it again. It's VR pong where you control the paddle by leaning. Interesting concept but I'm not interested.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Whoever it was (back when Vive was new-ish)saying you work up a sweat playing Space Pirate Trainer... you were right. SO right. Was playing in just jeans and a t-shirt when I started but I had to go change into gym clothes after a while. Shield and a shotgun seems to be my thing. Tried the railgun, and I just am not familiar with the gun-feel yet to be able to aim quick enough to make shots count.

Was the first game I tried after UPS dropped off my controls, and I forced myself to try some of the other games. But I kept going back.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I am loving "I Expect You To Die". If you're a Bond-obsessive like me, it hits some key beats you'll love. It does suck that a couple times you'll die just because you didn't know there was a thing you had to be aware of, but given that it incentives speed runs anyway, it's not the worst thing to replay a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Syves posted:

Whoever it was (back when Vive was new-ish)saying you work up a sweat playing Space Pirate Trainer... you were right. SO right. Was playing in just jeans and a t-shirt when I started but I had to go change into gym clothes after a while. Shield and a shotgun seems to be my thing. Tried the railgun, and I just am not familiar with the gun-feel yet to be able to aim quick enough to make shots count.

Was the first game I tried after UPS dropped off my controls, and I forced myself to try some of the other games. But I kept going back.

I have a vive, so I'm assuming you had an Oculus and just got the touch controls?

First off, welcome aboard. Get Rec Room, Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Onward (if the movement doesn't make you sick, it's pretty mild though) and Climbey. Hopefully they're touch compatible.