Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thank god. That's merciful. It was so disappointing seeing that just start plummeting and plummeting into complete garbage, especially when Holyland and Suicide Island are decent enough. And to compound things it had the most annoying translator constantly making really stupid in-page observations and rooting for the dumb I WILL MAKE A UTOPIA ON EARTH AMERIKKKAAAAAAAA character guy.
Time to finish reading whatever dumb poo poo happens and put this all behind me.

This is what happens when you make a series where you can't include little author's notes about how you've also done this thing and this is how you do it like with fighting in Holyland and survivalism in Suicide Island. They were dumb and amusing, but it's not like he could've had them in his weird dumb fantasy manga like THIS IS HOW YOU DEFEAT THE GREAT IMPERIALIST POWER AMERICA WITH MIND POWERS I'VE DONE IT BEFORE AND IT'S REALLY SIMPLE

It still has some of my fave dumb random pages though.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

ANIME IS GOD GOD IS ANIME :anime:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world still reading this lol

it was a good run
not

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
suicide island is ok but maybe don't take anything it says about survival to heart without double-checking it, there was a chapter where he recommended eating some type of plant if you're ever stranded and need water(?) and the translator was like "uhhhh, no, do not loving do this, that plant is horrifically toxic and will kill you" or something to that effect which was hilarious. Also the perfect hunter boy has his perfect hunter girl who has now magically gotten over her trauma in time to bone him and they live happily ever after in their convenient beachside house with bananas nearby

until someone comes along to ruin it all eventually, anyways

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I like the fighting tips in Holyland because the author really did go out on the streets to brawl in his youth.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

suicide island is ok but maybe don't take anything it says about survival to heart without double-checking it, there was a chapter where he recommended eating some type of plant if you're ever stranded and need water(?) and the translator was like "uhhhh, no, do not loving do this, that plant is horrifically toxic and will kill you" or something to that effect which was hilarious. Also the perfect hunter boy has his perfect hunter girl who has now magically gotten over her trauma in time to bone him and they live happily ever after in their convenient beachside house with bananas nearby

until someone comes along to ruin it all eventually, anyways
Really? I'm behind on Suicide Island. Ah well, it was never Holyland level anyway. It def started getting weird when Cannibal Rapeman showed up and then teamed up with Lame Teen Nihilist
And I pretty much take all of the author's advice on everything with a chuckle and grain of salt, they're just good fun fourth wall breaking

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm still reading Survival and it's a good man against the elements manga. Absolutely no idea if all of its survival advice is correct or not though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Thank god. That's merciful. It was so disappointing seeing that just start plummeting and plummeting into complete garbage, especially when Holyland and Suicide Island are decent enough. And to compound things it had the most annoying translator constantly making really stupid in-page observations and rooting for the dumb I WILL MAKE A UTOPIA ON EARTH AMERIKKKAAAAAAAA character guy.
Time to finish reading whatever dumb poo poo happens and put this all behind me.

This is what happens when you make a series where you can't include little author's notes about how you've also done this thing and this is how you do it like with fighting in Holyland and survivalism in Suicide Island. They were dumb and amusing, but it's not like he could've had them in his weird dumb fantasy manga like THIS IS HOW YOU DEFEAT THE GREAT IMPERIALIST POWER AMERICA WITH MIND POWERS I'VE DONE IT BEFORE AND IT'S REALLY SIMPLE

it was a good run
not

Those all sound correct and I'm gonna read this manga now. gently caress Amerikkka!!!!!!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Those all sound correct and I'm gonna read this manga now. gently caress Amerikkka!!!!!!!!
Well I did find it less annoying than akumetsu
Controversial manga opinion

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like Suicide Island

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Really? I'm behind on Suicide Island. Ah well, it was never Holyland level anyway. It def started getting weird when Cannibal Rapeman showed up and then teamed up with Lame Teen Nihilist
And I pretty much take all of the author's advice on everything with a chuckle and grain of salt, they're just good fun fourth wall breaking

Yeah, don't take the advice of either Suicide Island or Holyland seriously - it's very often very bad advice. Like how in Holyland, Tsuchiya, a wrestler, is basically unable to fight on asphalt, because the ground is too hard for his knees and hands. (newsflash: that's a minor issue compared to how it feels being grabbed and slammed onto asphalt compared to soft ground.)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress takes life advice, or any advice, from manga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

What about cooking advice from Cooking Papa?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Wish I could find that Reddit? post with the dork trying to do dbz inspired weight training/weighted clothing and breaking his dumb goony body

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't like all manga is an innately inaccurate source for every kind of information just because the suicide island guy is full of poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not saying to take the advice you find in a manga, gosh. Except shojo mangas, because those are very accurate guides to dating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
many manga include the important message of "hey, don't be a jerk". i have never been able to follow that advice, unfortunately.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Exercu posted:

Yeah, don't take the advice of either Suicide Island or Holyland seriously - it's very often very bad advice. Like how in Holyland, Tsuchiya, a wrestler, is basically unable to fight on asphalt, because the ground is too hard for his knees and hands. (newsflash: that's a minor issue compared to how it feels being grabbed and slammed onto asphalt compared to soft ground.)

Shoulda trained greco roman instead. But Yeah the author absolutely despises grappling and made his hero a lanky striker with perfect timing on his knees so never has to learn a sprawl

I just Love stuff like "Not many people know this, But the best defense against a kick is to put yourself in a corner, you will be immune from harm!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not saying to take the advice you find in a manga, gosh. Except shojo mangas, because those are very accurate guides to dating.

I took advice from a manga once. I'm more flexible now but I drifted away from a potential life partner oh well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it was a good run
not

I had a lot more hopes for it even a little over halfway through. The authors other stuff has been entertaining at least but it felt like this was definitely a "hey this story is kinda starting to suck now gently caress it lets just end it" sort of thing.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Sadly it's not even good as "LF the manga" because the author chicken out in the end in favor of "moral ambiguity" or some other nonsense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hellbunny posted:

Sadly it's not even good as "LF the manga" because the author chicken out in the end in favor of "moral ambiguity" or some other nonsense.

Honestly, it's not so much the "gently caress AmeriKKKa" that annoys me as the "Japan was so much better before America ruined it", which is super hosed up (though not uncommon among more right-wing Japanese people). Like, even if an "amerikkka" view is overly simplistic there are at least legitimate reasons to dislike/condemn America, but there aren't really any legitimate reasons to think that pre-WW2 Japan was better than post-WW2 Japan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Less irradiated

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Nostalgics for the Imperial times need to read a loving book.
Sadly the government of japan is complicit in the problem.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
old farts in every time and place are nostalgic for the good old days. whether the old days were even slightly good or not is irrelevant.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

old farts in every time and place are nostalgic for the good old days. whether the old days were even slightly good or not is irrelevant.

Sometimes it's also young farts (who know nothing about what the "good old days" were actually like).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Most countries' last 100 years were loving benign compared to Japan's. There's a great difference.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Most countries' last 100 years were loving benign compared to Japan's. There's a great difference.

This is nowhere near true lmao.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
imperial japan was a real lovely place but that's not exactly unusual.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

imperial japan was a real lovely place but that's not exactly unusual.

The world is steeped in violence in all corners.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Read about the modern history of Equatorial Guinea sometime, that's a place I was just studying recently.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Y'all should read Shigurui which is a good and cool manga

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

This is nowhere near true lmao.

at the very least they don't include having nukes dropped on them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
are there any good seinen comics about fightin that have been translated lately

already read holyland and the good part of shamo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Rikudo is about boxing but it's pretty cool.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That Works posted:

Rikudo is about boxing but it's pretty cool.

that counts as fighting

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Teppu was a good thing that recently finished.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That's part of why I like Tomino so much: an old fart powered by hatred of the good old days.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Seconding Teppu as a very good fighting manga that deserves to be read more. It's very short too, because the author had to stop it due to health reasons. Because of that it kind of stops in the middle of things but does at least have an open ending of sorts. Shame, really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
in the event you haven't read riki-oh read that imo

kung fu man who punches through people and some insane sci-fi story involving nazi's i don't quite remember. Might have to reread it

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I have seen the live action Riki-Oh movie, which was pretty insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

All-Rounder Meguru is pretty good.

(It avoids the 'ultra fast skinny strikers are the best' trope too, and the fights are cool)