Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MiddleOne posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is you being coy or if you seriously did this unintentionally.

:fork: :iiam: :fork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Applewood smoked cheddar and leek risotto. Tried my hand and stovetop-smoking some cashews and they turned out really nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't even know what's going on anymore.

'Poe's law came to the table. The pictures of your food thread.'

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Best part of making a bunch of stuff for tacos is the things you can make with the leftovers

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I made tortilla pizza yesterday and it was v. tasty

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

LOL no appreciation for a pot of rice goop in a poorly lit kitchen..

Balsamic roast veg & fresh hummus

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I roughly followed Alton Brown's braised (and then 'stewed') short ribs recipe in this episode, though I added carrots and peas, and I think I'm using a slightly different cut of short ribs (no bone, sort of the end bits).

It is the greatest stew I have ever made.

paired with a locally brewed Belgian ale (The Dageraad Burnabarian)

Braised the short ribs for 4 hours, drained off liquid and chilled in a jar to separate, chilled meat over night. Onions partially caramelized in some of the separated fat, potatoes cubed and added along with carrots and black pepper, simmered for 20 minutes, topped with meat and simmered for a further 10, added frozen sweet peas, covered and let sit for 5.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

JawKnee posted:

I roughly followed Alton Brown's braised (and then 'stewed') short ribs recipe in this episode, though I added carrots and peas, and I think I'm using a slightly different cut of short ribs (no bone, sort of the end bits).

Braised the short ribs for 4 hours, drained off liquid and chilled in a jar to separate, chilled meat over night. Onions partially caramelized in some of the separated fat, potatoes cubed and added along with carrots and black pepper, simmered for 20 minutes, topped with meat and simmered for a further 10, added frozen sweet peas, covered and let sit for 5.

You shouldn't use a Belgian beer glass to make your Canadian beer look more "exotic", that's racist. That really triggers me as a Belgian when people use the wrong glass for a beer.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
i dont care

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Nice looking stew BTW. Makes me want to prepare some carbonnade this week

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wait, is making spaghetti alla carbonara with cream and peas racist now?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's racist in that doing it is a crime against god

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ranter posted:

Wait, is making spaghetti alla carbonara with cream and peas racist now?

Racism is a system where the dominant culinary tradition benefits off the oppression of the other, whether they want to or not. So no, you could never be racist by being prejudiced against Italian, French or Japanese culinary tradition, as they are the hegemonic holders of power and meaning within socio-culinary discourse.

I think I just vomited a little

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Prejudiced against Italians, you fuckin believe that? In this day and age? What the gently caress is this world coming to. Prejudiced against Italians!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

JawKnee posted:

Man this looks good as heck

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Udon soup with roasted brussels sprouts, shiitakes, scallions and egg I cooked a liiittle too far.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
x-post chili thread...

So here's my big post. Work chili cook off is Friday but I figured letting it rest 2 days in the fridge will only help the flavor. I'll post final results but I'm expecting not to win given the history I'm hearing around curries and not-chilis winning because they're not-chilies. Sounds like some BS but hey I learned a lot doing this.

One big thing I learned was the dried chilies I got had dirt on them. Washing them properly resulting in water. Water resulting in toasting being annoying so I switched to paste. I also learned the BEST chipotle in adobe brand is La Morena, even better than San Marcos. Pics incoming in various qualities and sizes because I am NOT a food photographer and suck. Everything taken with my phone.

Preparing the stock the weekend before last:

Getting my chilies together:

Couldn't get a smoked beer from my nearest BevMo so picked this for the bourbon/oak instead:

Mollie Stones is a ripoff but Alex was cool. I cut these up myself:

I spent too much time trying to get an efficient photo of everything so deal with it. Stock is on the far right:

I did a bunch of stuff that isn't pictured. Here's the end result, at the start of the simmering step:

4 hours later:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Thanks for watching.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ranter posted:

made some loving chili

Attaboy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

emotive posted:

Udon soup with roasted brussels sprouts, shiitakes, scallions and egg I cooked a liiittle too far.

Good

Ranter posted:

x-post chili thread...

4 hours later:

Good

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

emotive posted:

Oh hell yes. I particularly love the roasted sprouts.

Ranter posted:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Please send me some of this.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Ribeye with mustard braised brussel sprouts and roast potatoes

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nabokoffin posted:

Ribeye with mustard braised brussel sprouts and roast potatoes

Aww yiss, sprouts are back in season!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Kenji's taters?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Stupid, but I made a s'more and it's pretty

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Haven't posted here in a while! There's been some awesome stuff.

This weekend just passed was a wedding anniversary of a couple of our friends, so agreed to cook up a meal for them. We didn't tell them it was going to be quite so involved, though, as to keep a bit of surprise...

Amuse-bouche - Vindaloo pork belly, quick-pickled red cabbage in red wine vinegar, mint sauce, pickled mustard seed, crackling, cucumber, smoked salt, on flatbread;

Cumin poppadoms, with lime pickle and kachumber;

1st course of goats cheese rolled in wild mushroom powder and black onion seed, with butternut-curry-turmeric puree, raw parsnip baton, roast beetroot;

2nd course of coriander onion bhaji with a roast red pepper and garlic sauce;

Main course of spiced marinated supreme of chicken, served on stock-braised cabbage, with pistachio, and a almond, sesame, coconut and cinnamon spiced sauce; served with an onion pilau, and peshwari naan;

Desert of grilled pineapple, a spiced rum caramel sauce, and coconut snow.

All went down really well; although my plating was a bit sloppy on the main, was a little rushed on that and forgot to pour sauce on the plate before stacking ingredients; and likewise the dessert, the pineapple slices broke apart so the sauce which was supposed to be a reservoir... didn't.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
^^ Awesome, everything looks great!

Thoht posted:

Kenji's taters?

Yeah they were pretty good, next time I am going to leave them in a little longer and let them get darker.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Soup weather for sure

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Pretty much standing at the stove eating dosa as fast as I can cook em

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I need the recipe for that dhal like immediately.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I made this one from memory but I've used the Guardian's recipe a few times and it's spot on. Find fresh curry leaves if you possibly can. I like some diced tomatoes sauted with the onion mix too.

I found an indian grocery nearby so I'm making up for lost time :)

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Curry leaves, so weird but so good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I was drunk and hungry so I made pizza

It was tasty

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Disgracefully delicious pork shoulder ragu with rigatoni.

Disgracefully blurry photography at full res because wide aperture and alcohol don't mix.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Theophany posted:

Disgracefully delicious pork shoulder ragu with rigatoni.

Disgracefully blurry photography at full res because wide aperture and alcohol don't mix.

Man, rigatoni is the best. That looks so good. I've never made my own meat sauce but this makes me want to give it a shot.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Staring to get cold, soup time.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'll contribute to the lovely picture streak.

Last night: "Huevos rancheros" (heavy quotes) with homemade tortillas, refried pinto beans, runny eggs and one red salsa, one green.

Tonight: Kenji's vegan lettuce wraps and sauteed baby bok choy with black bean sauce.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

theres a will theres moe posted:

Man, rigatoni is the best. That looks so good. I've never made my own meat sauce but this makes me want to give it a shot.

I took the recipe from Gino D'Acampo and then used Kenji's ragu bolognese method of oven reducing for a couple of hours. Using roughly 1cm cubes of pork shoulder meant it ended up falling apart like pulled pork - already excited to make another batch!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

emotive posted:

Last night: "Huevos rancheros" (heavy quotes) with homemade tortillas, refried pinto beans, runny eggs and one red salsa, one green.

Tonight: Kenji's vegan lettuce wraps and sauteed baby bok choy with black bean sauce.

ONE PART HUEVOS

ONE PART RANCHEROS

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

emotive posted:

Looks like huevos divorciados

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

silvergoose posted:

ONE PART HUEVOS

ONE PART RANCHEROS

2 huevos
1 rancheros

• Locked thread