Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

TheLoquid posted:

Well, sure. I can't deny that my own preferences are probably coloring my analysis, but I don't think it's fair to reduce it to that. The council test sequence doesn't work for me because it doesn't fit in the movie at all outside of our meta knowledge that Anakin is headed towards Vadertown. Maybe it's the actor's limitations, but he doesn't play as angry or fearful, or even as using bravado to compensate for those feelings. He generally plays a happy, determined kid, and the traits Yoda throws out don't have any impact whatsoever on Anakin's actions in TPM. In fact, the whole exercise of taking Anakin to the Jedi council is pretty broadly useless, since Qui Gonn brings him along anyway and Yoda agrees to allow the child to be trained. If Anakin still harbored a grudge against the Jedi for rejecting him in later movies it may have been a worthwhile plot thread, but I don't remember it even being touched upon in the following movies.I mean great, we get a scene where the Jedi acknowledge that Anakin is dangerous. But it never leads to any action or plot point later, so why is it there?

Similarly, I like the idea of testing Anakin's force sensitivity, but the actual test is so boringly devised that it had to have been the first thing Lucas thought of. We have no context for how Anakin is doing or how that compares to an average force sensitive kid, and even what exactly is being tested is somewhat opaque. Is he reading Mace Windu's mind? Does he have x-ray vision? He's getting it right, but we don't know how to feel about it. They tell us it's impressive, but the design of the scene doesn't. Compare that to, say, leaving Anakin with a device to assemble and having him put it together before they make it out the door, or have him easily finish his test before the other kids, or - virtually anything that would say that what Anakin just achieved is eyebrow raising. Or have QGJ express annoyance that the Council is wasting time with the dumb picture game when Anakin is clearly special. Anything! Compare that to Luke's training in ANH, where you see him struggle and then succeed in using the Force. We don't need to be told it's impressive because we know that he parried a series of attacks blindfolded - we know that that's special, and that Luke must have some latent ability that he can tap into. And, even better, we get a window into Han's character when he waves it off as superstition and nonsense as the training is going on. Meanwhile, Anakin's test only tells us that he's gifted which, great, we already knew that, and no character development really comes from it.

This is the highest quality version I could find with some quick Youtubing, just so we both know what we're working off of here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhOy4nPzOgU

Firstly, I can't give any retort to your saying that it doesn't fit apart from meta knowledge because I simply disagree--and if I'm honest, I don't understand that critique. Their whole point was getting Padme to Coruscant and once they got there it made perfect sense for Qui-Gon to want to get Anakin checked out.

So setting that aside, if you don't think Jake Lloyd hit the mark there, then I disagree there too. He reads to me exactly like what a kid that young would act like when taken from home and put in a deeply weird situation.

I think where you're tripping up is thinking that the test is just the little computer flash cards. In the scene we see, Anakin outright fails the test--Yoda and Ki Adi Mundi say it themselves "this kid is way too scared and way too attached"

Ultimately, I really believe you're reading the scene wrong. It's not meant to communicate that Anakin is gifted, it's meant to tell us about the Jedi Council and how right from the get-go they don't accept this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MrBigglesworth posted:

Y-WINGS all up in this mutha

gently caress yes. :hfive:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hopefully the Wishbones get to do something cool instead of just fly straight and get shot by Vader. :v:

Hell, remind people they're Fighter/Bombers, not the slow POS pigs the old EU made them out to be.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hopefully the Wishbones get to do something cool instead of just fly straight and get shot by Vader. :v:

Hell, remind people they're Fighter/Bombers, not the slow POS pigs the old EU made them out to be.

Well the closest analogue there is is the TBF Avenger, where the X-Wings are Wildcats. Avenger had forward facing guns but were slow hogs too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Well the closest analogue there is is the TBF Avenger, where the X-Wings are Wildcats. Avenger had forward facing guns but were slow hogs too.

I hadn't made that connection, but that's a good call. That might have been the inspiration for the X-wings folding wings, as well.

For those who don't know, the Wildcat's wings could fold back, which let the Navy fir more of them on their aircraft carriers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I prefer to think of Y-Wings more like WW2 twin-engine heavy fighters. Yes I know they weren't exactly great dogfighters either.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

So setting that aside, if you don't think Jake Lloyd hit the mark there, then I disagree there too. He reads to me exactly like what a kid that young would act like when taken from home and put in a deeply weird situation.

Would it surprise you to find out that people don't enjoy realistic portrayals of 7 year olds? Like, lets run with your belief that he nailed the role, how is it more enjoyable to watch a 7 year old be scared of a bunch of weird old aliens boring into his soul vs. a young adult deflecting laser blasts with a laser sword while blindfolded?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

I hadn't made that connection, but that's a good call. That might have been the inspiration for the X-wings folding wings, as well.

For those who don't know, the Wildcat's wings could fold back, which let the Navy fir more of them on their aircraft carriers.

it also makes sense because the Battle of Yavin is analogous to the Battle of Midway

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
ARC-170s are P-61s, that's all I have to say on that.

And that TIEs are totally Zeroes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duh21XGKfOE

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
child actors are almost universally bad, except in few circumstances such as

Stranger Things,
Krampus,
The Gate,
ET,
The VVitch,
Harry Potter,
Home Alone,
and finally off the top of my head, Empire of The Sun

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Filthy Casual posted:

Would it surprise you to find out that people don't enjoy realistic portrayals of 7 year olds? Like, lets run with your belief that he nailed the role, how is it more enjoyable to watch a 7 year old be scared of a bunch of weird old aliens boring into his soul vs. a young adult deflecting laser blasts with a laser sword while blindfolded?

Sorry to be so flippant about this but: so what? You can't judge any individual film on what you think it should be. Why would you hold against a film the fact that it didn't do something from your own headcanon?

I just don't understand it. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace does indeed not have "a young adult deflecting laser blasts with a laser sword while blindfolded", you're right. And so?

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is the highest quality version I could find with some quick Youtubing, just so we both know what we're working off of here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhOy4nPzOgU

Firstly, I can't give any retort to your saying that it doesn't fit apart from meta knowledge because I simply disagree--and if I'm honest, I don't understand that critique. Their whole point was getting Padme to Coruscant and once they got there it made perfect sense for Qui-Gon to want to get Anakin checked out.

I think where you're tripping up is thinking that the test is just the little computer flash cards. In the scene we see, Anakin outright fails the test--Yoda and Ki Adi Mundi say it themselves "this kid is way too scared and way too attached"

Ultimately, I really believe you're reading the scene wrong. It's not meant to communicate that Anakin is gifted, it's meant to tell us about the Jedi Council and how right from the get-go they don't accept this kid.

I think you're misreading my critique, which is that the scene is boring and doesn't work to advance the plot of the the movie or build the characters in the scene. Like when does it matter at all in the movie that Anakin is home sick and is worried about his mom? It comes up when he has a vision of her dying in the next movie, but it doesn't motivate him or guide his decisions in any way in TPM - or in between the movies, when he trains as a Jedi while his mom lives in slavery. The council rejects him, except they still let Obi Wan train him and there doesn't appear to be any bitterness over this specific incident in later movies. Even the test is boring as hell and it's pretty awful that I have no idea how Anakin performed on the test. Rather than having some kind of action going on onscreen to anchor the scene, we have a kid awkwardly standing in front of a bunch of aliens we don't know telling him (and us) what he's feeling, to no apparent end. And that's just the first scene that popped into my head to contrast some of the conference/hall scenes in the OT, which generally have some big plot importance or action that controls the flow of the scene.

Action is good because it's less boringer than poorly acted and written conversation.

e: again, this is all an exercise to contrast similar scenes between the PT and OT. In the OT, we get Luke

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 7, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Sorry to be so flippant about this but: so what? You can't judge any individual film on what you think it should be. Why would you hold against a film the fact that it didn't do something from your own headcanon?

I just don't understand it. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace does indeed not have "a young adult deflecting laser blasts with a laser sword while blindfolded", you're right. And so?

Those are the first real tests of the force for each of the main characters, the closest analogue to Anakin's scene at the council is Luke training with the blast shield down. The latter is more enjoyable because it features more action instead of a bunch of weird old dudes telling 7 year old how he should be feeling. Ain't even head canon, its a comparison between two existing scenes.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Phi230 posted:

Stranger Things,
Krampus,
The Gate,
ET,
The VVitch,
Harry Potter,
Home Alone,

Aliens yo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheLoquid posted:

I think you're misreading my critique, which is that the scene is boring and doesn't work to advance the plot of the the movie or build the characters in the scene. Like when does it matter at all in the movie that Anakin is home sick and is worried about his mom? It comes up when he has a vision of her dying in the next movie, but it doesn't motivate him or guide his decisions in any way. The council rejects him, except they still let Obi Wan train him and there doesn't appear to be any bitterness over this specific incident in later movies. Even the test is boring as hell and it's pretty awful that I have no idea how Anakin performed on the test. Rather than having some kind of action going on onscreen to anchor the scene, we have a kid awkwardly standing in front of a bunch of aliens we don't know telling him (and us) what he's feeling, to no apparent end.

Without bringing in the sequels, it doesn't matter tremendously that Anakin is home sick and is worried about his mother (beyond what that says about his character, which isn't nothing). But the scene isn't just about Anakin, it's also about the Jedi Council and Qui-gon Jin.

You said you have no idea how Anakin performed on the test, but the rest of the scene (that isn't caught on that short clip) does tell us how he performed. He failed, but not because of any lack of ability but because he was fearful. This tells us that the Jedi Council doesn't place as much esteem on power as they do on self-control, to the degree that they'll refuse a promising candidate because are too emotional. The fact that Qui-gon Jin slyly skirts around the Jedi Council's refusal to educate Anakin, by not directly teaching him but allowing him to learn from example, also tells about about Qui-gon, how he operates, and his relationship with the Jedi Council. All these things do have direct ramifications for the rest of the film, even if there is no immediate payoff with Anakin.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oh poo poo youre right, throw Road Warrior in there too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheLoquid posted:

Well, sure. I can't deny that my own preferences are probably coloring my analysis, but I don't think it's fair to reduce it to that. The council test sequence doesn't work for me because it doesn't fit in the movie at all outside of our meta knowledge that Anakin is headed towards Vadertown. Maybe it's the actor's limitations, but he doesn't play as angry or fearful, or even as using bravado to compensate for those feelings.

Because he's not. "How do you feel?" "Cold". "I sense great fear in you" Yeah okay, buddy, maybe after you started throwing accusations and veiled threats.

The council's expectations and prejudices drive the scene, which frustrates everyone important to the movie. Anakin is a kid living in the moment, a true expression of The Force.

The scene tells us these dumb Jedi will be a problem (Mace Windu especially).

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Because he's not. "How do you feel?" "Cold". "I sense great fear in you" Yeah okay, buddy, maybe after you started throwing accusations and veiled threats.

The council's expectations and prejudices drive the scene, which frustrates everyone important to the movie. Anakin is a kid living in the moment, a true expression of The Force.

The scene tells us these dumb Jedi will be a problem (Mace Windu especially).

Hm I guess I always sided with the wise sages who accurately identified that the kid who will later kill all of them will be trouble down the road

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The killing them all was half the Jedi's fault for royally mishandling him though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Jedi don't get credit for being right about Anakin because they had a direct hand in making it happen. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gonz posted:

Alan Tudyk is perfect for that role.

He's a weight in the wind, watch how he bricks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

Those are the first real tests of the force for each of the main characters, the closest analogue to Anakin's scene at the council is Luke training with the blast shield down. The latter is more enjoyable because it features more action instead of a bunch of weird old dudes telling 7 year old how he should be feeling. Ain't even head canon, its a comparison between two existing scenes.

A bunch of weird old dudes telling him how he should be feeling, which frightens him. Later, a mentor deliberately keeping him from seeing, so he makes it up with intuition. This is a neat summary of the difference in the outcomes of Anakin's and Luke's respective training.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

A bunch of weird old dudes telling him how he should be feeling, which frightens him. Later, a mentor deliberately keeping him from seeing, so he makes it up with intuition. This is a neat summary of the difference in the outcomes of Anakin's and Luke's respective training.

So does it surprise you at all that a lot of people strongly prefer the latter than the former?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I like the "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate" line

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Stranger Things,
Krampus,
The Gate,
ET,
The VVitch,
Harry Potter,
Home Alone,

Child actors are bad, except in a whole bunch of movies.

All I hear from you is: Child actors are bad if they are in movies called Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

So does it surprise you at all that a lot of people strongly prefer the latter than the former?

They complement each other. Parts of a whole.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Child actors are bad, except in a whole bunch of movies.

All I hear from you is: Child actors are bad if they are in movies called Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

There are literally hundreds of movies that have child actors that are loving terrible don't be myopic

the around 2 dozen movies w/ children that are good are a drop in the bucket of the hundreds

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Actually the Harry Potter actors are pretty terrible until about the 4th movie to be honest. At least they progress naturally to be okay actors with each movie. Not to mention serious acting isn't even needed until about the 5th or 6th movie due to the depth (or lack thereof) of the stories in the early volumes.

Rupert Grint is the only one who's got a semblance of ability in the first movie and that's mostly because he's the only one written with any comedy involved.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

There are literally hundreds of movies that have child actors that are loving terrible don't be myopic

the around 2 dozen movies w/ children that are good are a drop in the bucket of the hundreds

What makes Macaulay Culkin good in Home Alone?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The scenes of Anakin afraid while being tested absolutely set up the Starship Troopers / Ender's Game ending where this child is coerced into killing like a half-million 'bugs'.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like how Mace's iPad that Anakin is trying to guess pictures off of has the exact landspeeder that the Naboo royal security dudes have. Like they had the wireframe CGI on hand and just chucked it in. I wonder if the cup on his screen has a wookieepedia page.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The scenes of Anakin afraid while being tested absolutely set up the Starship Troopers / Ender's Game ending where this child is coerced into killing like a half-million 'bugs'.

What makes you say it's coercion?

I've thought one of the most clever parts of the ending to TPM is that Anakin soars into action, strikes the enemy's weak point, and saves the day—but unlike Luke in ANH, he does so entirely by accident. Luke learns to put aside his doubts and trust in the Force; Anakin misses this lesson because, as far as he knows, he just got ridiculously lucky.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

What makes you say it's coercion?

I've thought one of the most clever parts of the ending to TPM is that Anakin soars into action, strikes the enemy's weak point, and saves the day—but unlike Luke in ANH, he does so entirely by accident. Luke learns to put aside his doubts and trust in the Force; Anakin misses this lesson because, as far as he knows, he just got ridiculously lucky.

It's a poignant moment because the child says "Now this is podracing." He thinks he's in a podracer. He's real-time repressing the horrors that the war is forcing him to commit.

Did I do that right, smg-san? Have I defended the garbage movie well?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 7, 2016

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
"Whoa what's this button do?" The small child explained, unaware that with his curious press of a button he just committed the largest act of robicide in the galaxy.

"OOPS!" He smirked.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2016

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
But it's okay though. Robots aren't people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

But it's okay though. Robots aren't people.
Meanwhile in Westworld...

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PostNouveau posted:

It's a poignant moment because the child says "Now this is podracing." He thinks he's in a podracer. He's real-time repressing the horrors that the war is forcing him to commit.

Did I do that right, smg-san? Have I defended the garbage movie well?

Careful now, if you spend too much time ironically posting about the prequels, eventually you might find yourself liking them unironically. Wouldn't that be horrible?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The budget for Rogue One is $200 million USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3c_E7KrIQ

• Locked thread