Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
In light of the sage Nate Silver telling us to drop American exceptionalism and look at European politics:

You know what happened with pizza post-WW2? The thing that barely resembles its Italian version?
How about we do that but with these 5-star people?

2013: lol look at this clown and his weird views about the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpgavJ17uTk

2016:

Before I'm buried in a pyroclastic flow of the hottest Economist takes, please note I only trust Beppe to help his country as I do Ed Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

comingafteryouall posted:

so everyone who doesn't have money vs everyone who has money?

Yes. The former has a lot more voters. It's how the Democrats dominated for almost half a century.

AceRimmer posted:

In light of the sage Nate Silver telling us to drop American exceptionalism and look at European politics:

You know what happened with pizza post-WW2? The thing that barely resembles its Italian version?
How about we do that but with these 5-star people?

2013: lol look at this clown and his weird views about the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpgavJ17uTk

2016:

Before I'm buried in a pyroclastic flow of the hottest Economist takes, please note I only trust Beppe to help his country as I do Ed Balls.

What happened in Italy exactly and what is the Five Star Movement?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Yeah me too, if we even get to vote at all in the future. GOP will 100% spend the next 4-8 years trying to ratfuck the election process as much as possible, and the dems will just turn around and present their asses with a whimpered apology like they always do when a republican raises their voice, because they are a bunch of spineless, incompetent cowards. They ceded every inch of ground they had in order to make the oval office their alamo, and did nothing to stop a right wing coup of congress and state governments.

2018 sure as gently caress isn't going to go our way. District lines and voter suppression all but ensure that the House will remain a permanent republican majority (oh you thought the district lines were getting redrawn in 2020 in any way that would actually make a difference? Hahahahahahahaha not anymore), and we'll have to fight tooth and nail just to not lose seats in the senate midterms.

Face it, USA is effectively a one party state now and probably will be for at least a generation. The Republicans won. We might get the white house again, but it won't matter because it will be another neolib doormat with an unrequited fetish for bipartinsanship just like the one we've got now.

you could have switched a few nouns around and changed the focus from voter suppression to immigration reform (to get a bunch of new minority voters) and this screed wouldn't have looked out of place in 2008 as a republican throwing up his hands in despair

you need to step away from the mcdonald's drivethru and relax

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

What happened in Italy exactly
The referendum was 2 days ago :shrug:
Here's a 2016 appropriate explainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSLTr3IYWU If you quit before you finished watching it, congrats you just received Italian citizenship!

punk rebel ecks posted:

and what is the Five Star Movement?
edited for snark

quote:

The main opposition is coming from the Five Star Movement led by former comedian Beppe Grillo whose platform is focused on law and order, economic populism, and social liberalism. High unemployment among the young is fueling this opposition, as it has in France. For the young and those supporting the Five Star Movement, the European Union is simply not working and if they take power from Renzi, we may see Italy make the next move to leave the EU.

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Dec 7, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
*accidental page snype*

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Dec 7, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

The referendum was 2 days ago :shrug:
Here's a 2016 appropriate explainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSLTr3IYWU If you quit before you finished watching it, congrats you just received Italian citizenship!

WHAT THE loving poo poo!? This is horrible! People don't vote for their own senators!?!?

Everything is terrible except #7 (using referendums to be used as extra seats in the Senate to close a gridlock) is the only thing that seems good.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly if the deomcrats only put forward neolibs, the Democratic party will go the way of the whigs. But I doubt its as dark as you think. BLM continues, fight for 15 continues.

For the record, Clinton's total ambivalence to both of these things as well as DAPL drove me mad. All of them had built in organizers and structures with solid messaging. Why focus on Trump's racism without emboldening any of those other ideas?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

WHAT THE loving poo poo!? This is horrible! People don't vote for their own senators!?!?

Everything is terrible except #7 (using referendums to be used as extra seats in the Senate to close a gridlock) is the only thing that seems good.
BUT BUT JP MORGAN SAID THIS WAS CRITICAL

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mugrim posted:

For the record, Clinton's total ambivalence to both of these things as well as DAPL drove me mad. All of them had built in organizers and structures with solid messaging. Why focus on Trump's racism without emboldening any of those other ideas?

You know the answer its a word we are told is meaningless, and is supposedly a slur.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Too many things running on the :doink: platform

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Confounding Factor posted:

As much as I want to knee-jerk this and say "omg how can you be that delusional after such an embarrassing loss, are you kidding?"

I almost want to say I "somewhat" get this view that you don't need this radical shift in the party if Trump is disastrously bad during his presidency (and all signs point that being the case) which just makes it so much easier for a Democrat to win.

Then again we already know the story. If poo poo gets bad, Obama and Democrats get blame for the gridlock in Washington that caused it and they'll start a war to distract from how awful their domestic policies are.

Honestly Democrats need to stop the blaming and finding whatever scapegoat and begin a serious self-criticism. Democrats got the reality check they needed, now do something worthwhile with it.
You mean like giving leadership positions to Sanders and Warren and all but anointing Keith Ellisson party chair?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Crowsbeak posted:

You know the answer its a word we are told is meaningless, and is supposedly a slur.

I guess I kind of expected the ease of a built in organization to mobilize voters would appeal to her desire to win big with a blowout. I wasn't even expecting her to lift a finger after the election, but part of me was hoping she'd at least humor them for the free volunteers and organizers that came with taking each of those causes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mugrim posted:

I guess I kind of expected the ease of a built in organization to mobilize voters would appeal to her desire to win big with a blowout. I wasn't even expecting her to lift a finger after the election, but part of me was hoping she'd at least humor them for the free volunteers and organizers that came with taking each of those causes.

what she did during the election, that was her pandering to us

we would've been reminiscing fondly of campaign hillary when president hillary was on her 15th pre-emptive invasion

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Austerity.jpg

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
still waiting on a reason why Pelosi should have been dumped beyond "grrrr throw the bums out"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Republicans said we should do it, and they are clearly just trying to look out for our interests.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

If you want an excellent example of why the democratic establishment is garbage for babies and Florida is hell the Brevard County Democrats canceled tomorrows reorganizing/rebuilding meeting that I flew down here for because the rich couple hosting had to fly back to NY. loving kill me
lamo lamo lamo lamo lamaomasomlsaomlaiom TRUMP

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReZ7DdT5ZoI

She's entrenched and she can keep doing whatever she wants and raining down fundraising money, but she should pull a Paul Ryan whenever the press actually tries to talk to her.

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Dec 7, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But but but...Pelosi good, anyone else is baaaaaaaaad :qq:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hopefully this is the start of Jacobin doing some effective tweeting:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/806357451054469120

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hopefully this is the start of Jacobin doing some effective tweeting:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/806357451054469120

This is good practice for Info War 2.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/david-brock-clinton-sanders-donald-trump/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

But but but...Pelosi good, anyone else is baaaaaaaaad :qq:

"anyone else" consisted of some nobody Blue Dog whose main selling point was "I'm from Ohio". it's not some sort of coincidence that all the progressive reps backed Pelosi

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

"anyone else" consisted of some nobody Blue Dog whose main selling point was "I'm from Ohio". it's not some sort of coincidence that all the progressive reps backed Pelosi
This is a sign of how bad things are, I just hope the DNC realizes that.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
blue dogs get out reeeeeee

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I still find it hilarious that the Clinton campaign spent more money on putting posters like Mitt Romney on Something Awful than on Hispanic outreach.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

lol

Looking forward to Abuela redux after the "we don't need to change anything" comments

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still find it hilarious that the Clinton campaign spent more money on putting posters like Mitt Romney on Something Awful than on Hispanic outreach.
I watched Hillary Clinton's entire speech in Tempe, AZ, where she spent longer defending Carly Fiorina as a part of her "suburban Republican woman outreach campaign" than talking about Joe Arpaio.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
At least with the DNC's lovely messaging, none of this "Reagan and Kissinger were actually cool" messaging will stick :shrug:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

pelosi was pretty much responsible for the dems going to an anti-iraq war stance (which coincidentally sank hillary in the 2008 primary lol) and leading a fight to successfully kick gwb in the nuts and tank his privatize social security plan.

if the republicans go forth with their medicare voucher plan i can't really think of anyone else i would want leading the house dems to not compromise fwiw

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What's the story behind all those good-rear end appalachian workers pics?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What's the story behind all those good-rear end appalachian workers pics?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Confounding Factor posted:

The more interesting question to consider is demographically I can't imagine the Republicans holding much clout in 10 years. Once the baby boomers are dead, really what future does the GOP have?

I thought that once, but it turns out that old right wing shitbags die and are replaced by younger right wing shitbags. A lot of people who voted for trump were gen-Xers.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

blue dogs get out reeeeeee

Reeeeeeeeeee

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
JIM WEBB BLUE DOG WOOF WOOF BANANA

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I thought that once, but it turns out that old right wing shitbags die and are replaced by younger right wing shitbags. A lot of people who voted for trump were gen-Xers.

How does that happen anyway, will our values become conservative values?

Will we be like "well gay marriage is fine but in my day we only married one person, group marriage is weird" or something like that?

Or is it literally people just get money and go I don't want to pay taxes!!!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

The majority were Boomers. The gen xers barley went for Trump. Even White Millennials were a bare six percent. This was not the election of 1980. This can be recovered but it requires that we work together to purge and purify the democrats of the superpacs and the financiers.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

How does that happen anyway, will our values become conservative values?

Will we be like "well gay marriage is fine but in my day we only married one person, group marriage is weird" or something like that?

Between 2009 and 2013 the rate of high school graduates going on to college dropped from 70% to 65%

• Locked thread