Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

I figured Arizona because there are no inspection requirements for some areas and no smog, but I suppose Montana's got the awesome permanent-plates-for-shitboxes setup and wikipedia says they don't have any sort of annual inspection, so hell yeah.

I kinda want to buy an acre of nothing out in the middle of Nowhere, MT and do the same.

Montana does not give a flying gently caress about inspecting anything.

And yeah, for under $100 you can get perm. tags for anything 11 years old or older.

Land's cheap, too, as long as you're not looking within city limits.

VVVV edit: It's not my picture, but I've seen it around town and it's even better in person. The big steel cylinder is labeled oxygen, but I think it may have been converted to hold LPG.

There's also the Ghetto Gypsy. I used to live a couple blocks from that one.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That thing is rad as gently caress and I won't hear any arguments to the contrary.

Within city limits is a serious negative. The further from people it is the better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: the alignment's already underway, I'm just gonna drive on the loving struts until I figure out what to do about it. Don't have an impact wrench but the O'Reilly 2 blocks away rents tools.

Bounce each corner a few times with your body weight. Does it bounce more than twice after you stop? If yes, time for struts on that axle. If no, ignore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1500quidporsche posted:

well either that or it was bondo'd extremely well by the looks of the online pictures. It was 3 hours away and according to the ad it needed a wiring harness. I never actually looked at it in person because I know if it looked too good I'd just get suckered in. I still maintain those are one of the best looking cars ever made but it was very hard to justify buying what would've been a lesser, more rust prone scirocco.

A Coupe? That or the HPE does look good but underneath they are a rolling disaster and the rust really will be spectaclar - there is zero way any still around havent been either bogged to the shithouse or completely ground up restored with better metal.

I liked my sedan a lot but the time I spent keeping it running was amazing. I was always replacing parts and working on it. When i went to an RX7 it was just a huge culture shock to NOT require two hours on a Saturday in running fixes.

1500quidporsche posted:

The Beta was FWD, but the coupes were styled extremely well in my opinion. They also had some pretty good equipment for the time but sadly they rust away pretty drat fast. They had rear MacPherson struts which was the main attraction since the stupid twist beam suspension is my Scirocco's Achilles heel.

I can't recall what the hell it was but I think there was a fairly well documented swap for the X1/9. I think there was some hacking away involved though.

Sure, 1978 it was next to unheard of for four wheel disc brakes, a five speed and twin cam. Hell in 1988 when I got mine it was still rare as. Buuuuut... it drove like a truck and double declutch was drat near required to go down the gears. Heavy rear end steering, awful NVH, a lot of understeer etc etc etc even for the time. When it was running it was enxt to unstoppable on the road, I'll give it that. It went through flood waters as well as a 4WD, handled dirt and mud with perfection plus as a typical Italian car, you could flog the poo poo out of the engine and it'll ask for more.

But Lord, the rust and the electricals........!

Yes, the swap for a Beta front subframe / engine into a X1/9 was a common one and a drat good one too. The main thing to copy is how the Lancia Monte Carlo was done, given that was basically at it's heart an upsized X1/9.

Also, the Beta 2 litre really responds well to exhaust and intake changes. The stock carby and intake manifold is a joke, which when you see the cylinder head design becomes even more of a joke - the head is one of the best designs I've seen. The bottom end also was incredibly overbuilt - they will take boost without modification so drat well. The issue is that the head gaskets are terrible and the cars themselves are a loving bitch to work on. NOTHING was an easy job

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I found what I think is an HD6950 Radeon card in the "trash". It looks like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

Is it worth anything?
Would it do anything if I put it in my computer alongside the 7870 I have? I don't think I have enough power ports, nor do I have those special cables for Crossover or whatever it's called.

Also I found a "Creative SB1040 Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E ". I might try it out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

I found what I think is an HD6950 Radeon card in the "trash". It looks like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

Is it worth anything?
Would it do anything if I put it in my computer alongside the 7870 I have? I don't think I have enough power ports, nor do I have those special cables for Crossover or whatever it's called.

Also I found a "Creative SB1040 Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E ". I might try it out.

Test it. If it works, its totally worth at least $50-$75 bucks. If it doesn't, try taking the heatsink off and run it through the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees to reflow the solder a bit and test it again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
First I need to clean it. Jesus it's dirty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it doesn't look like my girlfriend is getting the position she applied for.

Instead, her supervisor created an all new position for her that would give her the same benefits we wanted. She still has to interview as a formality but it looks like I'll have an extra $330 a month to not spend on rent as of Jan 1st.

IMMA buy a wagon.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Well it doesn't look like my girlfriend is getting the position she applied for.

Instead, her supervisor created an all new position for her that would give her the same benefits we wanted. She still has to interview as a formality but it looks like I'll have an extra $330 a month to not spend on rent as of Jan 1st.

IMMA buy a wagon.

Wagons4lyfe

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

IMMA buy a wagon.

Buy a Forester.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Buy a Forester.

The good foresters in the US cost much more than better cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Such as the Impreza wagons.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Such as the Impreza wagons.

Such as...basically anything. I'm not paying 12k or more for a 12 year old Subaru with many known issues that has been owned by stereotypical Subaru owners for at least the last 5.

Edit: I'd love an 04 XT, but there's faster cars with more upside and less issues for the same, less, or just a bit more money. Plus the gas mileage is better than my beat to poo poo dakota, which you can't say in the subaru.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 7, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

iwentdoodie posted:

Such as...basically anything. I'm not paying 12k or more for a 12 year old Subaru with many known issues that has been owned by stereotypical Subaru owners for at least the last 5.

Edit: I'd love an 04 XT, but there's faster cars with more upside and less issues for the same, less, or just a bit more money. Plus the gas mileage is better than my beat to poo poo dakota, which you can't say in the subaru.

Or you could get one with a fist sized rust hole in the floor and 250k on the odometer for $6k

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is rust a concern in Indiana? I imagine any 10+ year Subaru is going to have rust issues in Indiana.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Foresters are really ugly, even by Subaru standards

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Door Frame posted:

Or you could get one with a fist sized rust hole in the floor and 250k on the odometer for $6k

No such thing where I live. So they have 250k and cost 11k, instead of 180k for 12k.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mariooncrack posted:

Is rust a concern in Indiana? I imagine any 10+ year Subaru is going to have rust issues in Indiana.

Rust is a huge problem everywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, and a real issue most places south of it. Basically the southwest and Florida are the only places where rust doesn't make car owners want to kill themselves

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

This is the greatest schoolbus.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's the Magic Grass Schoolbus.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Better cars than a Forester.....? Does not compute

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Rust is a huge problem here which is why my last car came from Florida.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^ Get a Century and bank on the knowledge that when you're done with it, left ventricle will buy what's left.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's the Magic Grass Schoolbus.

Truly they are as gods.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Falcon or Commodore V8, you traitor

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

No such thing where I live. So they have 250k and cost 11k, instead of 180k for 12k.

Jesus, and I thought Chicago had an overpriced car market

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

edit: and I realized I totally misread

edit 2: content.

My work has the world's stupidest website blocker and I do a pretty monotonous job so I need stuff to listen to constantly. The well had recently run dry so I bit the bullet and went through Melvin Bragg's In Our Time downloading topics I thought I'd find interesting. I may have gone a bit too far though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 7, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uh, what happened to your love of rotaries? The only rotary thing about Foresters is the rod bearings

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

Uh, what happened to your love of rotaries? The only rotary thing about Foresters is the rod bearings

drat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Have I shown you my Wankel lately?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a line I'd expect from CSB. :v:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I love my rust free $1400 Forester S. They're all over California in your choice of a shitload or a huge shitload of miles. Mine has 212,000 and it just keeps on doing whatever quadrozontal is.

Edit: this was a better Subaru than the Forester!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 7, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I kind of want a bugeyes WRX wagon.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Simon's cat may be the best youtube channel ever.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

Simon's cat may be the best youtube channel ever.

Pretty sure it resonates with cat owners everywhere. :3:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Westworld's ending was dumb, and the whole Maeve/bodyshop guys arc was stupid.

Amazing show, but I probably won't watch it again. Terrible, terrible ending.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
https://youtu.be/tZWlZFfAnIM

Definitely my favorite Christmas Song, too good not to share.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Westworld's ending was dumb, and the whole Maeve/bodyshop guys arc was stupid.

Amazing show, but I probably won't watch it again. Terrible, terrible ending.

I just watched episode 1 last night.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's a Volvo 240 classic?

edit:
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-european/curbside-classic-1993-volvo-240-classic-wagon-so-long-old-friend/
Oh I've see two recently and they both were in bad shape. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just watched episode 1 last night.

Terrible to me. Loved the rest of the show, still supremely glad I watched it. Like 99% of people liked the ending, so go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What a wonderful feeling to wake up in Ohio, the state with the most restrictive abortion law in the country. Daddy raped you? You have that god-baby, girl. :(

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/06/ohio-senate-passes-heartbeat-bill.html

Edit: Aaaaaand Trump is now Time's Man of the Year. This country is so many shades of hosed.

Veterans of a hosed-up World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Tb8TQfgiY

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread