Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

There is a main character in this series whose sole character trait is "can talk to beavers".
yeah, and his name is edgar heyoooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

I read this as Edge and was gonna point out that I don't think he's every actually seen a naked lady before

But now I'm starting to think the same is probably true about Edgar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Endorph posted:

:drat:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I read this as Edge and was gonna point out that I don't think he's every actually seen a naked lady before

But now I'm starting to think the same is probably true about Edgar.

You need to play WoFF and quick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wait people like Iris? She is just the little sister archetype in anime.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

bloodychill posted:

This is a point against the entire supporting cast though. No one besides the four bros gets any much development, counting even the main villains.

People keep talking about the bros as if they get lots of character development, but I'm not feeling it personally. I'm up to Chapter 8 now, 24 hours played, and all the interactions I've seen have been very shallow. Some humorous one-liners and inane chatter in dungeons. I still know gently caress-all about the dudes themselves, what matters to them, etc. Their personalities seem pretty one-note to me.

Does anything happen later on that gives their relationships more depth?

bloodychill posted:

getting huffy about turn based RPG's being objectively bad

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best Final Fantasy, and the second and third best are FFTA2 and FFTA respectively, so if anyone shits on turn-based they can safely be ignored IMO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She's not the Best Character Ever or anything but she has personality and bounces in fun ways off the characters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

She's not the Best Character Ever or anything but she has personality and bounces in fun ways off the characters.

Right that's fair. She's just kinda there. Not a standout in anyway, good or bad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought she was alright. Like a lot of characters, she doesn't get enough screen time for me to feel strongly one way or another, BUT

thorsilver posted:

People keep talking about the bros as if they get lots of character development, but I'm not feeling it personally. I'm up to Chapter 8 now, 24 hours played, and all the interactions I've seen have been very shallow. Some humorous one-liners and inane chatter in dungeons. I still know gently caress-all about the dudes themselves, what matters to them, etc. Their personalities seem pretty one-note to me.

Does anything happen later on that gives their relationships more depth?

More like before. I watched Brotherhood so it makes the ingame stuff with the four resonate a little more. Same goes for Iris since she has a decent role in one of the episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right that's fair. She's just kinda there. Not a standout in anyway, good or bad.

Considering this is the game with The Tragic Fate Of Jared I'll take what I can get.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Iris is cool and I appreciated a lot of the incidental animations and stuff she had for the..what, 30 mins she's with you, depending on if you take her into that woodland jungle? A few different camp/motel setups, a hot pink birb, a couple of different Technique animations depending on the size of the thing, etc. There's some nice touches there, especially with how she usually puts herself next to Noctis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Do any of the other guest chars get a different color chocobo too?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't think you ever have an opportunity to find out. Cor is before you can even get 'bos and I don't think they'll go into the swamp.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

bloodychill posted:

More like before. I watched Brotherhood so it makes the ingame stuff with the four resonate a little more. Same goes for Iris since she has a decent role in one of the episodes.

It's crazy to me that a company that made its name off of creating fleshed-out, story-focused games considered this Brotherhood/Kingsglaive stuff a good idea. A mainline FF game shouldn't be having so many pivotal story events happening off-screen or be offloading character development to an anime tie-in that's not even in the drat box, IMO. Surely they could've used the budgets for the film/anime to paper over the game's cracks better?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

Surely they could've used the budgets for the film/anime to paper over the game's cracks better?

Not really, no. Including that content in the game would have required a massive restructuring and the creation of a lot of additional content, while it's clear that FFXV as we have now is literally pieced together from content they were able to finish on time for release.

FFXV is kind of a miracle that it actually turned out as well as it did as it's very clear what they had was enough time to fill the Open World segment up, get a basically functional combat system in place, and may sure the setpieces they already had designed were fully functional. The Kingslaive/Brotherhood stuff wasn't done by the same people making the game. They didn't pull programmers off to make their CG movie or anime.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that it's bullshit the game was released in the state it is because it honestly is, but short of another delay there isn't a lot that would have improved it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 7, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Surely they could've used the budgets for the film/anime to paper over the game's cracks better?
that isn't how game development works. ff15 was a money sinkhole no matter how you slice it. the cracks don't exist because of money - they had a blank check - but because of time. The film and anime could be made without having to pull a single person off the game, so they had no impact on the game's development.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I'm irritated we got three games out of the shitpile FF XIII world and characters and they wouldn't greenlight a trilogy for this game. Hopefully the DLC fills in some gaps and fleshes out a few things.

Is there any chance at all SQEX has figured out how to make games and the next one isn't in development hell for 7 years before finally being worked on for real?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

funkymonks posted:

I'm irritated we got three games out of the shitpile FF XIII world and characters and they wouldn't greenlight a trilogy for this game. Hopefully the DLC fills in some gaps and fleshes out a few things.

Is there any chance at all SQEX has figured out how to make games and the next one isn't in development hell for 7 years before finally being worked on for real?

Well:

A) Those games were announced well after the fact. FFXV literally just came out. going "Well, gently caress you Square-Enix for not instantly announcing a series of sequels" seems a bit premature before this game is even fully out. (WE still got a bunch of DLCs coming.)

B) FFXV began as a FFXIII spinoff. If you didn't want them to make FFXIII games then whatever we got out of XV would certainly not be it, even with them cutting the direct ties out.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, no. Including that content in the game would have required a massive restructuring and the creation of a lot of additional content, while it's clear that FFXV as we have now is literally pieced together from content they were able to finish on time for release.

FFXV is kind of a miracle that it actually turned out as well as it did as it's very clear what they had was enough time to fill the Open World segment up, get a basically functional combat system in place, and may sure the setpieces they already had designed were fully functional. The Kingslaive/Brotherhood stuff wasn't done by the same people making the game. They didn't pull programmers off to make their CG movie or anime.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that it's bullshit the game was released in the state it is because it honestly is, but short of another delay there isn't a lot that would have improved it.

They should've delayed it then. For all my lack of interest in XII, that game spent longer in actual development and went through all manner of crazy bullshit before release, yet the final product was in the end a full-length story which largely held together, and the whole package felt pretty complete. The company seemed to care enough at the time to actually finish the game.

This game however is lacking major story elements and content and what's left is hanging together by a thread. Fair play to Tabata for producing a saleable product, it's obvious he had gently caress-all sensible stuff to work with and did his best to cobble something together. But I don't think we should be giving this game more credit than it deserves, it's a mess not a miracle.

Endorph posted:

that isn't how game development works. ff15 was a money sinkhole no matter how you slice it. the cracks don't exist because of money - they had a blank check - but because of time. The film and anime could be made without having to pull a single person off the game, so they had no impact on the game's development.

After ten years of keeping fans waiting, what's one more to actually produce a finished game? It's like the Miyamoto quote, a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever. If they actually had a blank cheque, then use it and finish the thing -- or at least finish it to the point where they're not haphazardly pasting in cutscenes in Day 1 patches :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

funkymonks posted:

I'm irritated we got three games out of the shitpile FF XIII world and characters and they wouldn't greenlight a trilogy for this game.
Are you serious

The game just came out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

They should've delayed it then.

FFXV was already a long-running money sink which was a running joke up until the moment it was released. You can argue it would have been worth it for PR releases but paying their team to work an additional year is a hell of a lot of extra money not taking anything else into account.

thorsilver posted:

After ten years of keeping fans waiting, what's one more to actually produce a finished game?

A lot. A year-long delay would, among other things, completely wreck their entire marketing plan. Hell, the month-long delay did that, leaving a long gap where their marketing noticably faltered because they were expecting the game out a month before. They missed the biggest shopping day of the year and while FFXV still had a great starting sell through it's still less than it would have been if they'd not missed that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People are legit losing their loving minds over the Persona 5 localization being delayed two extra months and you think people are gonna be cool with FFXV being delayed another year? This is not to mention the loving large rear end restructuring of their development plan and poo poo to just do that. It's one thing to drop a two month delay on people, it's another to drop an entire 'nother loving year on a game that was already seen as a giant waste of money by a lot of people over the last decade.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Well:

A) Those games were announced well after the fact. FFXV literally just came out. going "Well, gently caress you Square-Enix for not instantly announcing a series of sequels" seems a bit premature before this game is even fully out. (WE still got a bunch of DLCs coming.)

B) FFXV began as a FFXIII spinoff. If you didn't want them to make FFXIII games then whatever we got out of XV would certainly not be it, even with them cutting the direct ties out.

These are very reasonable responses.

I hope they outline their plans soon. I have no issue waiting for the content to be made but I'm frothing for some info as to the scope.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

funkymonks posted:

Who knows. Outside of mainline FF Square and associated devs have been putting out games fine, so it's a matter of whether they've gotten their AAA pipeline in order.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I just wanted to take a moment to say this: "gently caress Costlemark Tower."

Bring lightning resist and ways to prevent/cleanse petrification, kiddos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

funkymonks posted:

Honestly who wants a trilogy of this game's world?

I just want them to start fresh entirely without all the dreck of the last 6 years of convoluted development or whatever.

Take this engine without making any major changes so you get going fast, make a few small changes to the combat to address people's feedback about XV, and then go all-in on trying to make a solid amazing story with that engine.

If you had an FF with XV's combat and open world / side quests but with the story of a major beloved FF it'd probably be the most fun RPG of all time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Apparently FFXV has a bit of an update roadmap planned out.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201612070039/

Short Term: Improving Chapter 13's gameplay

Mid Term: More cutscenes to explain more about Ravus

Long Term: More playable characters, it looks like. Possible 'Original Character/Avatar' system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Buffing the ring's magic won't really help Chapter 13 that much but it'd be nice at least.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'll be pretty amazed if they implement something as big as character creation post-release. I'd expect it to be pretty basic in terms of visual customization and mainly be about mixing character abilities in the postgame, but still.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That all sounds neat, but I don't think a customisable character or avatar system is something the game would benefit from. More options as far as clothing goes would be cool and probably enough if that's setup for the online play stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pureauthor posted:

Long Term: More playable characters, it looks like. Possible 'Original Character/Avatar' system.

There's also a DLC plan.

Each of the protagonists who isn't Noct is getting a DLC where you play as them, probably during their periods of absence during XV's story.

Buuuuut the real curveball is that supposedly they're doing a multiplayer DLC after that?! :stare:

It could end up being a real lame little limited thing, but man if they could deliver something like mass effect 3's multiplayer in FFXV that'd be so much fun. (Much less full on co-op in an FF game, which would rule. Just let me control Gladio in your game or something, although the engine probably can't support that)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Each of the protagonists who isn't Noct is getting a DLC where you play as them, probably during their periods of absence during XV's story.

Buuuuut the real curveball is that supposedly they're doing a multiplayer DLC after that?! :stare:

These points have both been known for quite a while.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

These points have both been known for quite a while.

I know I'm just bringing it up again? I thought it was relevant to update discussion sorry :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly who wants a trilogy of this game's world?

I just want them to start fresh entirely without all the dreck of the last 6 years of convoluted development or whatever.

Take this engine without making any major changes so you get going fast, make a few small changes to the combat to address people's feedback about XV, and then go all-in on trying to make a solid amazing story with that engine.

If you had an FF with XV's combat and open world / side quests but with the story of a major beloved FF it'd probably be the most fun RPG of all time.

I agree with this a lot. 15 is not a perfect game but for every fault, it did quite a few things right and I have to admit that I had doubts about Tabata but he managed to pull it off. My important internet opinion is that for the next title, they have to iterate on the engine much like they did back for 4/5/6 while focusing on story, characters, and leveling/advancement. Throwing the job system into this game framework could work pretty well, though obviously it would take a fair bit of work. A lot less work than building a new game from scratch though. I don't know if this would be Final Fantasy 16 or 15-2 or 15 Gaiden or what. I'd buy it though.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Pureauthor posted:

Just sticking it in spoilers to be safe:
A little too late on the Chapter 13 stuff, but if they do go through with the New Game Plus update, just making the ring charge faster, and letting you actually run in Chapter 13 would be amazing. I understand what they were trying, but I ended up playing it like a Zelda game and rolling to make Noctis move faster.

I personally didn't care about Ravus, but he should probably get something in between "I'm super strong and hate Noctis" and "I was good all along and I'm a monster now please kill me". I was really surprised he didn't get a proper boss fight like Aranea did.

If you can stick Iris, Cor and Aranea in the party permanently for the post game stuff that would be fun. If only for more photo opportunities.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what i'm hearing here is 'hey maybe wait 6 months before buying ffxv'

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Considering adding cutscenes require voice acting (in four languages for XV), and if they go through with avatar creation for multiplayer they'd need voices for that too.

Not really the best about estimating game dev times, but It could be a year before all of these roll out. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thorsilver posted:

They should've delayed it then.

No, it could not weather any more delays. The hype was as high as it was going to get and you would need two full years minimum to actually flesh out the problems you can visibly see in the current build. Fact is, this game needed to come out so the loving company could move on. FFXV has been a lodestone, it's the last relic of these awful FF13-era titles and I hope it shuts the book firmly on that chapter in the company's life. Let's take the talent they have and put it to good use.

World of Final Fantasy is nothing but a silly fanservice game but it features a massive amount of charm, wit, and really good production values. I want the team who made that game to be given a main FF title. I want the next FF to be weird and different and off-beat, and I want the series in general to embrace change, charm, and humor a lotmore. The 13 games are loving dreary and FFXV is, narratively speaking, far more of a downer than it is anything else.

A little brightness and joy would not go amiss in the worlds of Final Fantasy.

EDIT: That being said I do not endorse patching a game to completion post-release, it's a stupid, stupid way of charging consumers for your failure to produce a complete product. I very much doubt I'll be buying any FFXV DLC, despite liking the game overall, unless they add in a dungeon pack.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I will not have this talk about delaying the game, when we can have Master Tonberries. RIGHT. NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3tBVt3e0M

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Personally, I was able to ignore what appeared to be how rushed the plot got in the tail end as the game was far above and beyond what I was expecting from them. It somehow managed to revive my interest in the series, which was near-dead by this point.
It's definitely rough around the edges in places and needed more time spent on the narration but the open expanse of the world and the pace of the action seemed like the kick in the rear end the series has needed for a long time.
I loved that they were able to sell the 'magic and summons are a dangerous huge thing' better than the previous games ever could. Before, the summons mostly existed as a context-free animation in a bubble.