Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Internet Kraken posted:

Or remnants of a scrapped plot point, which I consider more likely. Unless you think Guzma is also dressing up as Xurkitree for fun.

That connection is infinitely more tenuous than Lillie (the character explicit not allowed by her mother to dress herself) <> Nihilego and you know it. Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlphaKretin posted:

That connection is infinitely more tenuous than Lillie (the character explicit not allowed by her mother to dress herself) <> Nihilego and you know it. Come on.

I'm not talking about Lillie though. That connection is explicitly spelled out by the game. I'm talking about the other clear design similarities between characters and UBs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not talking about Lillie though. That connection is explicitly spelled out by the game. I'm talking about the other clear design similarities between characters and UBs.

Guzma, Lillie, Lusamine. That's about it.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So I hear the story and characters are actually good this time around? And not just the expected typical cardboard Pokemon fare? Lord knows I hate, hate, hated the rag-tag group of extra special losers in X/Y, my rival being the only one I didn't want to tie onto a railroad track and never see again, and instead had the personality of a 2x4. The Team Flare grunts looked awesome, and then you meet their big boss and find out his grand scheme and it is just too gay, even for me, a bonafide lesbian. And don't get me started with Big McLargeHuge at the end, the 5,000 year old (??????) behemoth who just wants to his little Floette friend back, George.

I played the demo and already love the ridiculousnesses of Team Skull's theme music and their goddamn cornball gang sign body language, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They are better than all the cardboard cutouts in XY.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Characters are much better than X/Y. I think Hau suffers from the same kind of pointlessness as your friends in X/Y but its nowhere near as bad since there's not 3 of him. Even he has a bit of depth which is more than you could say about those idiots. Everyone else I didn't have much of an issue with. For the Pokemon series the writing is shockingly competent.

Mazerunner posted:

Guzma, Lillie, Lusamine. That's about it.

I'd say Gladion and Kartana have some obvious design similarities.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Internet Kraken posted:

By what you were replying to, you were using the fact not every part of that dumb image was right as a counterpoint to all of it, including the similarities that turned out intentional.

E: Urrrggg I totally missed the first sentence of that post don't argue while napping

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LemonLimeTime posted:

So I hear the story and characters are actually good this time around? And not just the expected typical cardboard Pokemon fare? Lord knows I hate, hate, hated the rag-tag group of extra special losers in X/Y, my rival being the only one I didn't want to tie onto a railroad track and never see again, and instead had the personality of a 2x4. The Team Flare grunts looked awesome, and then you meet their big boss and find out his grand scheme and it is just too gay, even for me, a bonafide lesbian. And don't get me started with Big McLargeHuge at the end, the 5,000 year old (??????) behemoth who just wants to his little Floette friend back, George.

I played the demo and already love the ridiculousnesses of Team Skull's theme music and their goddamn cornball gang sign body language, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

yeah the characterization in sunmoon is hella good, even the gym leader equivalents have alot more personality than they've had in ages

e: the trials are a much better way of having the captain's express their own quirks or sense of humor than fighting a bunch of nobodies then getting a couple lines of dialog from the gym leader and that's it

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlphaKretin posted:

By what you were replying to, you were using the fact not every part of that dumb image was right as a counterpoint to all of it, including the similarities that turned out intentional.

No, I was merely pointing out that the idea that Lusamine is cosplaying as Pheromosa is a fan theory. The only connection confirmed ingame is Nihilego and Lillie.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I thought that in the UB fetch quest they mentioned that the codenames they use where used by the Aether Foundation when they were studying them. I may be remembering wrong though.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Who wants to be Champion when you can be the Rising Janitor instead?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

LemonLimeTime posted:

And don't get me started with Big McLargeHuge at the end, the 5,000 year old (??????) behemoth who just wants to his little Floette friend back, George.

yo I just looked this up cause I never heard about it and nobody told me X/Y involved a death ray cannon powered by the souls of enough dead pokemon to line an entire route in the game what the gently caress happened in the generations I missed

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Daeren posted:

yo I just looked this up cause I never heard about it and nobody told me X/Y involved a death ray cannon powered by the souls of enough dead pokemon to line an entire route in the game what the gently caress happened in the generations I missed

While in S/M, the main villain just wants to pet some weird-rear end pokemon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Daeren posted:

The Pokemon plots have been getting crazier over time.

The execution of them has been fairly lacking in a lot of cases, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Plot ranking:

Sun/Moon
RBY
BW <> BW2
GSC
the others

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Game seems quite self aware this time around, so like Hau is dumb but its played for laughs, Gladion is an edgelord but none takes him seriously, team skull pretends to be tough but are just a bunch of losers who could not make it. If they have been played straight it might have been annoying but as is it actually got a few chuckles. Lillie is genuinelly cute though. :3:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

In case anyone has forgotten the best greeting, "You're 10,000 light-years from facing Brock!" it's also a great expression of joy, disappointment, and my deepest secret.

In other news I got a Moon Ball Gible out of Wonder Trade if someone wants something weird like that. I'm also really tired of getting people's synchro Abras. I'm going to have a full set just from wonder trade at this rate.

E: Oh look Beast Ball Drampa.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 7, 2016

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The team motivations for each game are as follows:

RGBY: Steal Pokemon, Make Profit
GSC: Daddy why don't you love us come back
RSE: FLOOD THE WORLD/DRAIN THE OCEAN
DPP: Recreate the universe in my image
BW: Make everyone give their Pokemon away so only I have Pokemon and thus rule the world
B2W2: FREEZE THE PLANET so only I have Pokemon and thus rule the world
XY: Make everyone who doesn't have a million dollars to join a cult die by using a Death Star powered by a tree deer/death bird
SM: be rad ALSO GO TO ANOTHER DIMENSION TO FUSE WITH A JELLYFISH

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I've just sorta been wanting to make a Battle Spot/Tree team for the hell of it, but I'm awful at all of the competitive training stuff. Are there any guides out to the basics, like good natures, good EV training spots, etc.? I don't need anything too in depth, I just kinda want to gently caress around with a team I like.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im gonna cry, I'm in the elite 4 and everyone is like level 55 and murdering me

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

So, I've just sorta been wanting to make a Battle Spot/Tree team for the hell of it, but I'm awful at all of the competitive training stuff. Are there any guides out to the basics, like good natures, good EV training spots, etc.? I don't need anything too in depth, I just kinda want to gently caress around with a team I like.

Good natures:

boost your best attacking stat or speed, lower your worst attacking stat. Timid, Jolly, Adamant, Modest. These four are what you want for the majority of pokemon. Mostly.

BUT not all- a few pokemon can run mixed sets, which use both attacking stats. Infernape, Lucario, Pheromosa off the top of my head. They'll want one of the ones boosts an attacking stat or speed (probably speed) and lowers a defense (the shittier one or the one you think you'll take less hits of).

Some pokemon are more (specially) defensive. In this case you'd want to boost their better defensive stat, and lower the attacking stat they don't use.

BUT some pokemon are slow. Really slow. You might as well not even care about speed at all because they will never ever outspeed anything, so you can use a speed lowering nature. Slower is better when using gyro ball as well, and if you set up a Trick Room then speed is reversed, and slower is goes first.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, it turns out that there's a much faster way to grind FC. This guide goes into a lot of detail about it, but it turns out that the fortune tellers can sometimes apply a multiplier to your FC gain. If you get really lucky, you can increase the amount of FC you gain through Wonder Trades to 32 per trade. Meaning that as long as you do 1 Wonder Trade per minute, you can get almost 2000 FC per hour. Which is far faster than doing missions.

:eyepop:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Easiest would he to google smogon pokemonname, and just copy a set for dudes you eant to use.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Walking stuff kinda passed but I wanted to share Mega Kanga's animation because it's cute as heck

Also the in battle polycount for Machamp vs its overworld one:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just got a shiny Mareanie from WT! With Pokerus! Thanks guy from Australia!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Apparently the Ultra Beasts have significant size disparity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Or remnants of a scrapped plot point, which I consider more likely. Unless you think Guzma is also dressing up as Xurkitree for fun.

lusamine obviously picks out his wardrobe and personally cuts his hair

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

I thought that in the UB fetch quest they mentioned that the codenames they use where used by the Aether Foundation when they were studying them. I may be remembering wrong though.

I think those were the codenames used by the International Police. Looker and Nanu talk about encountering Guzzlord before at least.

Manatee Cannon posted:

lusamine obviously picks out his wardrobe and personally cuts his hair

Y'know he'd probably let her do it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

FishBulb posted:

Island Scan pokemon are not considered in the Alola dex right? For the purposes of VGC and stuff?

Correct.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thank you japanese person who wondertrade'd me an adamant honedge with pokerus.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hi Pokemon thread, I haven't played these games since I was a kid with Blue so I don't understand 90% of the posts in this thread but: is it possible to get Ponyta in Pokemon Sun? Serebii.net says 'Transfer required' but where do I transfer it from?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

floofyscorp posted:

Hi Pokemon thread, I haven't played these games since I was a kid with Blue so I don't understand 90% of the posts in this thread but: is it possible to get Ponyta in Pokemon Sun? Serebii.net says 'Transfer required' but where do I transfer it from?

A game which has ponyta, obviously. :v:

(Or, alternatively, get lucky with Island Scan?)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aerdan posted:

(Or, alternatively, get lucky with Island Scan?)

Island Scan isn't luck, it's a certain Pokemon on each Island each day, none of which are Ponyta.

What Serebii means is you need to transfer it from one of the previous games in the series using Pokemon Bank, which won't be compatible with Sun and Moon until some time in January.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

floofyscorp posted:

It means that Ponyta isn't obtainable in Sun and Moon so currently the only way to get one in these games is to transfer it up from an older game through the Pokemon Bank app. Unfortunately Pokemon Bank won't have Sun and Moon support until sometime in January.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Island Scan isn't luck, it's a certain Pokemon on each Island each day, none of which are Ponyta.

What Serebii means is you need to transfer it from one of the previous games in the series using Pokemon Bank, which won't be compatible with Sun and Moon until some time in January.

Ahh, okay, thanks. I don't own any of the previous games but I assume that with this GTS thing, once Pokemon Bank is live then things like Ponytas will be tradeable there?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

Ahh, okay, thanks. I don't own any of the previous games but I assume that with this GTS thing, once Pokemon Bank is live then things like Ponytas will be tradeable there?

Yes, and it should be trivial to get one as soon as it's live.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

tyblazitar posted:

I wonder what the hot new poke currency will become when the bank goes live?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

Rad! How about shiny ones, do you think they'll be relatively common? I've never had a shiny Pokemon but shiny Ponyta looks amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You probably won't get shinies off GTS, but you can probably find someone on a forum who's willing to trade you if you have a shiny they like.