Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

AmbientParadox posted:

Has ANet added anything new to any event after its initial launch? I've done Halloween now maybe three times and it seems to be the same each time. Wintersday is coming up and will it probably be the same few events (orphan gifts, grawl star achievement event, etc)?

Last time they added anything was, I think, the second year they had each event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Halloween had two years of of events but from then on they just got recycled and eventually they started coming back with less things to do and more craftables to encourage you to grind out stale content.
The first year(2012) had two instanced activites, Lunatic Inquisition and Reaper's Rumble, and a quest chain to make some book backpacks. Reaper's Rumble was only ever available to play in that year. There were doors that spawned events in all kinds of different parts of the world, they disappeared one year, dunno which
The second year didn't add any new activites but it had it's own story in place of the previous years quest chain and added new items
The Third year reused the second year's content but with some more new items
The Fourth and Fifth reused the first year and added some new items but removed Lunatic Inquisition and the Book Backpack quest chain

Wintersday has fared a bit better iirc, Tixx's workshop used to travel about but now it and all the wintersday stuff is all in DR, I don't think they ever really took anything away from it

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Some non-goon guilds require 24/7 tagging, and threaten to kick you for switching to another guild tag. But they're a dumb minority and probably aren't fun to play with.

Is there even any point to that any more, with the changes they made to guilds when HoT came out?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bieeardo posted:

Is there even any point to that any more, with the changes they made to guilds when HoT came out?

Pretty much the only time it could ever possibly matter is WvW and PvP-related stuff.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanna make the mad king book but Anet refuses to give me a chance.

I'd even be willing to pay gems for it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
When is it realistic to assume we will start getting some info on the expansion? If this had been WoW we would have been showered in details for half a year by now.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What expansion?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Well hundreds of people have to be working on something

Probably

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd be astounded if they didn't make another expansion. especially since they have this elite spec system that was, honestly, one of the best things to come out of HoT

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Xun posted:

Probably

Playing Wildstar so there appears to be some population.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm not sure there are enough dragons left for an expansion. Opening up Cantha and revealing whatever's been going on there or dealing with Palawa Joko seems anticlimactic compared to killing a half-dozen draconic gods of destruction. Sounds more like GW3 territory to me.

e: Whoops, I thought Destiny's Whatever killed one, but it's still around someplace. So it has been one dragon per release.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 7, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Xun posted:

Probably

they are probably not doing anything much really, knowing anet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm not sure there are enough dragons left for an expansion. Opening up Cantha and revealing whatever's been going on there or dealing with Palawa Joko seems anticlimactic compared to killing a half-dozen draconic gods of destruction. Sounds more like GW3 territory to me.

e: Whoops, I thought Destiny's Whatever killed one, but it's still around someplace. So it has been one dragon per release.

aren't there like 5 dragons left or something?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
They've said they're working on another expansion, but anet releases tiny bits of content very slowly so who knows when it'll be out or if it'll have any more content than HoT

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

aren't there like 5 dragons left or something?

4:

Kralkatorrik
Primordus
Jormag
Bubbles

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Schpyder posted:

4:

Kralkatorrik
Primordus
Jormag
Selbbub

ftfy

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Schpyder posted:

4:

Kralkatorrik
Primordus
Jormag
Bubbles

ApeHawk posted:

Selbbub
ftfy

They did say in the living story that the water dragon's name started with 'S'. It's name is obviously "Suds".

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
I'll keep it at 5 because I'm sure we will have to merc baby sinclair in the future.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.

Schpyder posted:

4:

Kralkatorrik
Primordus
Jormag
Bubbles

5:
Aurene

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Redmanred posted:

I'll keep it at 5 because I'm sure we will have to merc baby sinclair in the future.

Ooooohhhhhh yesssss. The baby being innately evil like nearly all the rest of her alien, otherworldly kin would be super dark. Turns out: Glint was the exception, not the rule. They'll never do it, but poo poo that would be crazy amazing and unexpected storytelling.

Let's be honest, though, the story is going to be that the baby dragon can absorb all the magic after the other dragons are killed. Happy ending!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Humans are the actual aliens on Tyria tho

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Schpyder posted:

Humans are the actual aliens on Tyria tho

... Which they should play into more often. That's one of those great hooks to the setting that are largely ignored in current events.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

Ooooohhhhhh yesssss. The baby being innately evil like nearly all the rest of her alien, otherworldly kin would be super dark. Turns out: Glint was the exception, not the rule. They'll never do it, but poo poo that would be crazy amazing and unexpected storytelling.

Let's be honest, though, the story is going to be that the baby dragon can absorb all the magic after the other dragons are killed. Happy ending!

There's a WoodenPotatoes theory that the Dragons aren't innately evil, they're just bugfuck crazy with what I'm calling Bloodstone Fever (ie the thing where people go nutso and have a psychotic need to devour more magic) and can be cleansed of it.

I like your idea better though. Another twist on it would be if Bloodstone Fever can't be fixed and we wind up offering up Lazarus and Aurene as sacrificial lambs to absorb all the excess magic in the world at the moment and it gives both of them Bloodstone Fever. How this would resolve in any way other than "the world is totally boned because there's either too much magic in the world or you have dragons killing and eating everything" is something beyond me, though.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
You know what i miss playing? Guild Wars 2.

Are mesmers still the poo poo?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Magres posted:

There's a WoodenPotatoes theory that the Dragons aren't innately evil, they're just bugfuck crazy with what I'm calling Bloodstone Fever (ie the thing where people go nutso and have a psychotic need to devour more magic) and can be cleansed of it.

That's a weird theory, because bloodstones came after the dragons were asleep. The dragons are generally referred to as forces of nature and generally act that way.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sekkira posted:

That's a weird theory, because bloodstones came after the dragons were asleep. The dragons are generally referred to as forces of nature and generally act that way.

Huh, fair. I think the theory is more that they're crazy from too much magic then, and less the bloodstone itself. I don't super know the details, my fiance was telling me about it. :shrug:

It seems like something they might do to let us have more happy funtimes with dragons and poo poo. It'd also be interesting if we figured out a way to unfuck Jormag and had to deal with the aftermath of "NO SERIOUSLY BRAHAM loving STOP, JORMAG'S NOT BAD ANYMORE" and marched to fight Primordus' stuff with Jormag's (intentional) help instead of trying to trick Jormag and Primordus into duking it out. Strange bedfellows is always kind of a neat storytelling trick.

E: She sent the video to me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMj5XlDKIZI

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 8, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i found out woodenpotatoes does pvp on a condi burn ele

people were complaining about his damage, though i have condi clear so i couldn't find out for myself

not gonna watch his videos though, goddamn those are long

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yeah, I don't agree with his theory of the elder dragons just being insane. That seems very specific to Bloodstone Fen and we haven't got any indication of otherwise. Also, he got Modremoth being telepathic/dragon of mind wrong, that's Kralkatorric. He also mentioned that Zhaitan didn't really acknowledge us, while Mordremoth did. And that's mainly to do with the dragons not giving a poo poo in general and Modremoth only started giving a poo poo once we invaded its mind.

They're just pretty much forces of nature and consume magic. We don't pay heed to ant mounds when constructing buildings/building cities, the dragons don't pay much attention to the other races.

As for Abaddon going mad, that may have been because the five gods shoved him into the realm of torment for a few thousand years. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Sekkira posted:

As for Abaddon going mad, that may have been because the five gods shoved him into the realm of torment for a few thousand years. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I mean, that one prince went mad too, and all he got shoved into was a box! He even got some free candy out of the deal.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

where the red fern gropes posted:

i found out woodenpotatoes does pvp on a condi burn ele

people were complaining about his damage, though i have condi clear so i couldn't find out for myself

not gonna watch his videos though, goddamn those are long

Woodenpotatoes took a single throwaway line from the new living story poo poo about the Isles of Janthir and did a 47 minute speculation video on it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I wonder if even Anet puts that much thought into the writing

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Xun posted:

I wonder if even Anet puts that much thought into the writing

Anet doesn't even put that much thought into game design

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as sad as it is, 'the dragons are secretly all insane and you eventually make one not insane' is a bit too complicated for arenanet these days

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Please bring us back to the mastercraft story telling of gw1 lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Please bring us back to the mastercraft story telling of gw1 lol

Koss is my dad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gw1's stories actually were better overall, which is the sad part

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The dragons are actually good. They're just trying to purge the planet of all of the lifeforms that are destroying it and using their magic for personal gain.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

go go godzilla

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

Koss is my dad

https://youtu.be/Dz5LPEvm5uI?t=103

Adbot