Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Malsgrein posted:

Anyone playing Morrowind at this point should probably be using OpenMW. That might make it easier to distribute stuff without including :filez:

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2110

just waiting on this to go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Malsgrein posted:

Anyone playing Morrowind at this point should probably be using OpenMW. That might make it easier to distribute stuff without including :filez:

Well, it still has to point to a Morrowind install for the data files. But it does save you from having to do all the executable modification stuff.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what shader/issue this is? Using MGSO 3.0/Morrowind Rebirth/a few extra non-graphics based tweaks.

http://imgur.com/YAP6KsA

It may be hard to spot but it's that weird twinkling/shiny thing that happens with the trees while you walk.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have a rather downgraded setup for MGE XE as my computer is nearly 8 years old and can't really handle the full MGSO treatment. I have turned off all shaders, reflections, shadows, and grass, and set up the distant land with the program defaults (minus "misc objects" as recommended in the OP). The 5.0 draw distance seems fine, but I'm running into an issue where statics are popping in out of nowhere. For instance, I went to an island near Seyda Neen and some of the rocks on Firemoth Isle appeared, but I still couldn't see any buildings over there, just the terrain. Also, buildings in Ebonheart when viewed from Vivec were missing some pieces.

This is really jarring and I'd like to fix it, but I'm not sure which settings to change. Basically I want nearly all static popup to be gone within my draw distance. Do I need to generate more statics by lowering the 150 base number? Also the distance settings ("min size", "end dist", and fog start/end) are confusing. Some googling found this page, but that shows they used less statics if I understand the settings correctly, which I don't think will help my issue, but I really don't know.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I have a rather downgraded setup for MGE XE as my computer is nearly 8 years old and can't really handle the full MGSO treatment. I have turned off all shaders, reflections, shadows, and grass, and set up the distant land with the program defaults (minus "misc objects" as recommended in the OP). The 5.0 draw distance seems fine, but I'm running into an issue where statics are popping in out of nowhere. For instance, I went to an island near Seyda Neen and some of the rocks on Firemoth Isle appeared, but I still couldn't see any buildings over there, just the terrain. Also, buildings in Ebonheart when viewed from Vivec were missing some pieces.

This is really jarring and I'd like to fix it, but I'm not sure which settings to change. Basically I want nearly all static popup to be gone within my draw distance. Do I need to generate more statics by lowering the 150 base number? Also the distance settings ("min size", "end dist", and fog start/end) are confusing. Some googling found this page, but that shows they used less statics if I understand the settings correctly, which I don't think will help my issue, but I really don't know.

try those (trainwiz's) settings with draw distance set to 5-8 and see what happens
e: in the time it took to make this post you could have tested that :v:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I figured it out. To remove popup in your distant objects, uncheck "Auto set other distances" in the MGE Distant Land tab, and edit all 3 of the "End Dist" values to whatever your draw distance is. The "Min Size" column doesn't matter in this case, you can leave it as is. If you're flying around and still see popup on smaller objects, you can fix that by re-generating statics using a smaller minimum size (and including misc objects). The default is 150 but you can go all the way down to 0 to make statics for literally everything. This sends my poor old computer into single-digit FPS but it sure does make for some nice aerial screenshots.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I figured it out. To remove popup in your distant objects, uncheck "Auto set other distances" in the MGE Distant Land tab, and edit all 3 of the "End Dist" values to whatever your draw distance is. The "Min Size" column doesn't matter in this case, you can leave it as is. If you're flying around and still see popup on smaller objects, you can fix that by re-generating statics using a smaller minimum size (and including misc objects). The default is 150 but you can go all the way down to 0 to make statics for literally everything. This sends my poor old computer into single-digit FPS but it sure does make for some nice aerial screenshots.

this is really good to know actually

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

pretend I posted an eye-pop emote here. Nice.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

If you post another one of these with just slightly more visible detail (probably by focusing on Vvardenfell only and thus being able to zoom in a little) it's going straight in my wallpapers collection.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This might seem a dumb question, but why is it that freshly installing Morrowind + one of the major modpacks is so extensive? Why has no one just made a .zip or whatever of the data/mods/whatever folders that includes everything already all set up and in the proper order and so on — so that you can just download that .zip, extract it to the correct folder under your Morrowind install, and be done with it? I remember thinking this exact same question the last time I installed Morrowind, and I sincerely hope someone has since done it in the intervening 4 years so that I can just pick up MGSO or MGE and go without having to manually unzip and sort a billion things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Distributing the Bethesda ESP/BSA would be out of question; especially now that there's OpenMW which lets people play the game even if all they have is the ESP and BSA files.

As for modpacks, the answers is, as always, modders not wanting their stuff to be bundled in a greater whole, for a variety of reasons. It doesn't need to be all of them who make such requirements, just enough that the "must-have" mods get encumbered.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

This might seem a dumb question, but why is it that freshly installing Morrowind + one of the major modpacks is so extensive? Why has no one just made a .zip or whatever of the data/mods/whatever folders that includes everything already all set up and in the proper order and so on — so that you can just download that .zip, extract it to the correct folder under your Morrowind install, and be done with it? I remember thinking this exact same question the last time I installed Morrowind, and I sincerely hope someone has since done it in the intervening 4 years so that I can just pick up MGSO or MGE and go without having to manually unzip and sort a billion things.

Heh, I know what you mean. There are a number of meticulously written guides to morrowind mods which list 250 different things you must download tweak and install in a very specific order, also don't forget compatibility addons so that MrMorrowindfan33's Doorknob Enhancer doesn't conflict with Azurabab3's Ultimate Daedric Doors. Last time I tried to follow one of these it suddenly dawned on me that I spent 3 hours struggling with broken links and updates and whatnot, said gently caress it and didn't touch morrowind for another 3 years.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Mattress posted:

Distributing the Bethesda ESP/BSA would be out of question; especially now that there's OpenMW which lets people play the game even if all they have is the ESP and BSA files.

Right, I didn't mean to imply :filez: or whatever with regards to the things Bethesda made; I'm talking about the stuff modders made. As in, someone follows the 3,000-step guide to download and install and tweak all of the recommended mods then bundles all of that back into a single .zip and hosts it so that other people can save themselves a couple of hours of effort.

e: In fact, if some kind goon in this thread has gone through the process of downloading/installing/setting up one of the various popular modpack setups and is willing to host the fruits of that labour — again, referring only to the third-party mods, not the Bethesda stuff — I know of at least one guy (and likely many more) who'd love it. That'd be way the hell more useful than a link to a guide full of dead links.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 3, 2016

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Nietzschean, The Chocolate Pack (by Malsgrein) should be what you're looking for. It's just a giant .zip with a bunch of mods that are ready to just be extracted and run. That being said, there are 4 major reasons why the major mod packs aren't just a .zip file hosted somewhere you can just extract and go:

1. Everyone's mod preferences are different. I might include MrMorrowindfan33's Doorknob Enhancer and Azurabab3's Ultimate Daedric Doors as must-have graphic enhancers and perfectly tweak all 1000 other mods to work with them, but a few downloaders might think they're hideous and want the vanilla doors back. Inevitably, I then remove those mods but end up breaking a bunch more due to the tweaks I had to do. MGSO tries their best by giving you a rough template based on the graphics level you want, while BTB just gave you a load order.

2. Someone who just bought a new gaming rig is going to have far more graphics power than my 4-year-old graphics laptop, which is going to have yet more power than, say, Ofecks's computer above. It's far better for me to just give you the GUI for MGE-XE and have you spend hours tweaking it to your specific computer than try to assume what the different graphics levels should be.

3. Hosting space costs money. Hosting enough space for hundreds of mods and megapacks which could see thousands of downloads costs a lot of money. Plus, some hosts might not let you upload files over a certain amount (which is why I can't host The Chocolate Pack myself, despite mentioning wanting to do it a few pages ago).

4. Some authors don't like having their mods included in packs, as Cat Mattress mentioned.

Added to the OP.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 3, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

It has been a year or two but when I set about trying the MGSO for the first time, there was a crazy installer that did nearly everything for you (including taking over your mouse to select MGE XE settings). You just had to specify what you wanted in the package. I don't know if they still have that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right, I own Morrowind but I've never played it and I'm holding off on touching Skyrim again until SE gets fuller mod support.

...so, uh Morroblivion or MGSO?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Openmw.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is it far enough along to take the plunge? I figured it wasn't formally calling itself v1.0 yet.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you can check the roadmap if you want to see what's left (nothing that'll affect a playthrough, all saves are compatible)

https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3768&start=70

that thread has the latest release client

features left to implement for 1.0:

Feature #452: Water effects
Feature #824: Fading for doors and teleport commands
Feature #1113: NPC door AI
Feature #1161: Autodetect encoding of Morrowind installation files
Feature #1225: Saved Game: Include scene-only data
Feature #1374: AI: Resurface to breathe
Feature #1724: Handle AvoidNode
Feature #2229: Improve pathfinding AI
Feature #2860: [MAC OS X] Cannot Command + Tab while in fullscreen
Feature #3099: Disabling inventory while dragging an item forces you to drop it
Feature #3442: Default values for fallbacks from ini file

that's everything

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So, uh, what's the current advantage of OpenMW over standard Morrowind?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Performance and platforms (MacOS, Linux).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All right, I own Morrowind but I've never played it and I'm holding off on touching Skyrim again until SE gets fuller mod support.

...so, uh Morroblivion or MGSO?

Original Xbox Morrowind or GTFO. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feature #1374: AI: Resurface to breathe
Deal breaker :colbert:

(Kidding. OpenMW it is!)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Woebin posted:

So, uh, what's the current advantage of OpenMW over standard Morrowind?

advantages:
native 64 bit
hasn't crashed on me in months
runs very smoothly, no choppiness at all

disadvantages:
no distant statics
no shader options
no MWSE mods if you use that for some reason (???)

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Config_file_tweaks

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Haha, I hadn't noticed this issue on the tracker before.

Not really sure by what standard it's rated "40% complete" but okay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

no MWSE mods if you use that for some reason (???)

Script extenders are love; script extenders are life.

I hope supporting the added functions of MGE, MWSE and perhaps even MWE will be a post 1.0 goal even if the developers currently don't want to hear about it.

(Also the options from the Morrowind Code Patch ought to be supported too.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am not playing until support for MWSE is added

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
As far as I'm concerned MWSE at least should be 1.0.

Or done immediately.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Ugh, I don't think they should go to 1.0 while their script functions for stats and attributes are so different in behavior from vanilla.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What are some good examples of mwse mods? Any I can think of are usually weird combat mods

raminasi posted:

Ugh, I don't think they should go to 1.0 while their script functions for stats and attributes are so different in behavior from vanilla.

???

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What are some good examples of mwse mods? Any I can think of are usually weird combat mods

???
basically everything by Fliggerty - Blasphemous Revenants, Visceral Discernment etc - loads of good quality of life stuff like Keyring and More Quick-keys. Nothing hugely major but altogether a bunch of stuff I'd miss if it wasn't there

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Several interface and convenience stuff requires MWSE or MGEXE. Inventory sorting functions, ownership indicator, improved graphic herbalism, etc. Also stuff like improved companion teleportation.

And this.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

In vanilla MW, "drain" effects temporarily reduce the current value of the stat or attribute. In OpenMW, they temporarily reduce the maximum value. The direct gameplay effects aren't super different, but it incidentally breaks any mod that attempts to be aware of temporary stat/attribute conditions, including every leveling mod.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

ownership indicator

This is available as one of the interface improvements in MCP.

no distant statics

That's a deal-breaker. I assume they'll be adding them in the future?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ofecks posted:

That's a deal-breaker. I assume they'll be adding them in the future?

you're a baby, and of course

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

you're a baby, and of course

If you want to make something from scratch and tout it as the modern implementation of Morrowind, you should be able to at least be able to accomplish what has been previously done with the base game. Otherwise, why will people play it?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

wiegieman posted:

If you want to make something from scratch and tout it as the modern implementation of Morrowind, you should be able to at least be able to accomplish what has been previously done with the base game. Otherwise, why will people play it?

I agree they should add those features, but you have to admit that for their goal (complete re-implementation of the Morrowind engine) and for being a volunteer project, they have done an amazing job. We now have a modern graphics engine that is almost a drop in for stock Morrowind and far more extensible - once they get to 1.0 I would think they could easily add all the MCP/MGEXE fancy stuff as graphics options, and add MGSE support and then go even further because they're not constrained by patching a binary EXE and working around its bugs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it makes sense to me that vanilla Morrowind feature would be the goal for 1.0; but I hope that MWE/MWSE/MGEXE/MCP stuff are considered as goal for 1.1.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wiegieman posted:

that's a weird outlook friend, I hope you are happy when it gets added in 1.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

that's a weird outlook friend, I hope you are happy when it gets added in 1.1

Sure, I'll probably play it then. I like Morrowind a lot.