Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Alternatively global warming will make large quantities of snow rare enough that fixing the problem of rain is all anybody needs to do. Silver linings!

Climate change is increasing snow fall in many areas. When it kills the Atlantic coast current Europe is going to look like Canada during the winter.

As someone who moved from SF to Eastern Canada recently, it really does blow me away how much people in SF don't realize how much snow changes driving conditions, in part because I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pr0zac posted:

Climate change is increasing snow fall in many areas. When it kills the Atlantic coast current Europe is going to look like Canada during the winter.

As someone who moved from SF to Eastern Canada recently, it really does blow me away how much people in SF don't realize how much snow changes driving conditions, in part because I didn't.

As someone who grew up and learnt to drive on the Swedish countryside, cars as a concept are not suited for heavy snowfall. Hell, Stockholms traffic stopped for almost 9 hours last month due to snowfall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've never understood this idea that we will somehow be able to deliver packages via drones in the next couple of years considering a lot of problems still need to be addressed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
no it will be great for amazon prime to leave my packages outside in the yard because a quadcopter cant open a screen door

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

no it will be great for amazon prime to leave my packages outside in the yard because a quadcopter cant open a screen door

It sure is going to be a boon for hikers who run out of toilet paper on the Appalachian trail.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Finally, a use for one of those Amazon button things.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 7, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BarbarianElephant posted:

It sure is going to be a boon for hikers who run out of toilet paper on the Appalachian trail.

What do you think squirrels are for?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

yeah there are stores that sell toilet paper along the trail

unless you're talking about remote delivery of a handful of low margin items into dense forest to a customer with spotty gps miles from the nearest roadway, in which case yeah no amazon's not sending an expensive drone out there

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Anywhere further than 30 miles from a major city (and many places closer) will have the other issue of people firing guns/throwing stones at drones. Because why not!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Not a Children posted:

Because why not!
Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The real issue with drone delivery so far is battery capacity, IMO. Otherwise I see no problem with them dropping something off in the backyard, on the roof of apartment buildings, or pushing a notification on your phone to go outside and meet it at a nearby park or parking lot.

The app that's really failing to live up to expectations however is Tinder. Somebody should combine it with the Uber model.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm in Albany, and for years lived and worked in different parts of the Tel Aviv metro area. I can see how what you're describing is sub-optimal, but increased public transport investment sounds like it could help with that.

You can definitely see how more investment (like, adding 10 more metro lines) would improve the situation. But that is true of so many things - if only they received more money, higher priority, etc, things could be better. The public health system needs more money desperately (that trainwreck deserves its own thread, omg). Education needs more money. Transportation needs more money. There are so many priorities but there is only so much money to go around.

I think technology could actually help a lot here, appropos to the unicorn thread. One of the big problems with bus crowding here in Santiago is that there is no adherence to scheduling. Waiting at a stop where a bus is supposed to pass every 5 minutes, for instance, you might see 1 in 20 minutes and it's so full that people are falling out the doors. Then a little later, 4 arrive stacked up at the stop and one is packed, one is sparse, and the other two are almost empty. If people had access to an app that tracked the buses on a route as they moved, with an indicator of fullness, they could feel confident waiting a bit and crowding wouldn't be as bad. And if managers had access to the same data, they might be able to (though they wouldn't, because culture is a hell of a thing) lean on the drivers and dispatchers to keep things on schedule.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have always wanted us to go back to the 19th-century solution and drive sleighs in the winter. With bells on.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MiddleOne posted:

As someone who grew up and learnt to drive on the Swedish countryside, cars as a concept are not suited for heavy snowfall. Hell, Stockholms traffic stopped for almost 9 hours last month due to snowfall.

The self-driving snowmobile is right around the corner!

Halloween Jack posted:

Finally, a use for one of those Amazon button things.

I found out that these exist a week ago and immediately thought of this thread.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

The app that's really failing to live up to expectations however is Tinder. Somebody should combine it with the Uber model.

Hookr.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

TinderPool, for when you want to share expenses.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MiddleOne posted:

Not that it has anything to do with self-driving cars since it's not like we'll ever stop forcing people to drive in snow, but this is totally true. Driving in snowy conditions is one of those incredibly bad and dangerous things that we just kind of accept as a society even though we really, really shouldn't.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

I think technology could actually help a lot here, appropos to the unicorn thread. One of the big problems with bus crowding here in Santiago is that there is no adherence to scheduling. Waiting at a stop where a bus is supposed to pass every 5 minutes, for instance, you might see 1 in 20 minutes and it's so full that people are falling out the doors. Then a little later, 4 arrive stacked up at the stop and one is packed, one is sparse, and the other two are almost empty. If people had access to an app that tracked the buses on a route as they moved, with an indicator of fullness, they could feel confident waiting a bit and crowding wouldn't be as bad. And if managers had access to the same data, they might be able to (though they wouldn't, because culture is a hell of a thing) lean on the drivers and dispatchers to keep things on schedule.

There is an app that tracks buses, sort of like this, where I live. There is no capacity indicator, but all of the buses have GPS and are tracked on something that looks like Google maps. As far as I can tell, it has done absolutely nothing to make them more timely, except let me know how late they will be, or occasionally how inexplicably early they left.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Wallet posted:

There is an app that tracks buses, sort of like this, where I live. There is no capacity indicator, but all of the buses have GPS and are tracked on something that looks like Google maps. As far as I can tell, it has done absolutely nothing to make them more timely, except let me know how late they will be, or occasionally how inexplicably early they left.

That would most likely be the case here, too. But at least you'd know you could pass on taking the first human meat mold that pulls up because three more are a minute behind it. =(

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

Not that it has anything to do with self-driving cars since it's not like we'll ever stop forcing people to drive in snow, but this is totally true. Driving in snowy conditions is one of those incredibly bad and dangerous things that we just kind of accept as a society even though we really, really shouldn't.

The radio always says "Don't make any journeys unless absolutely necessary!" but everyone does anyway because you can't usually take a day off work for snow unless it's like 10 ft deep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Self-driving snowplows would be easier because they don't give a gently caress about other cars or indeed most landscaping.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Wallet posted:

our bus system has a number you can text to get updates on the schedule and it's supposed to have real-time info on where buses are, but it's almost never right or useful. the bus seems to only be on time when it first starts running at 5am :v:

baltimore/central maryland is currently loving around with the buses/routes and I hope it improves reliability but ~who knows~. they're introducing bus-only lanes in baltimore city for this, as well.

we live on the northern-most part of the routes and rely on it for work/groceries/etc. and honestly thank gently caress we have any public transport at all, and it seems to be cheaper than other cities.

wateroverfire posted:

human meat mold

no

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know about the US but UK buses have, on average, about four cameras watching the passengers.

A lot of the BART cameras were fake, I think they've been slowly replacing them with real cameras but at one point like 3 out of 4 were fake

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tars Tarkas posted:

A lot of the BART cameras were fake, I think they've been slowly replacing them with real cameras but at one point like 3 out of 4 were fake

Typical Silicon Valley: placeholder features.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yeah they had to put stubs in to make unit tests pass.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Not a Children posted:

Anywhere further than 30 miles from a major city (and many places closer) will have the other issue of people firing guns/throwing stones at drones. Because why not!

imagine the service fee amazon will charge you the first time a drone tries to drop off a box in your backyard and your freaking out dog takes it down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B9Q7Fytiq0

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Pebble has just called it a day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kerbtree posted:

Pebble has just called it a day.

Wow, that was fast. And the Gizmodo headline nails it: Pebble Is Dead, and Its Customers Are Completely Screwed.

e: From their cheerful "We're shutting down, oops!" Kickstarter page, the most assholish photo of all time?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 7, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, that was fast. And the Gizmodo headline nails it: Pebble Is Dead, and Its Customers Are Completely Screwed.

e: From their cheerful "We're shutting down, oops!" Kickstarter page, the most assholish photo of all time?

The picture is gone already. I don't suppose you uploaded it elsewhere?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Why yes, yes I did.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Why must this be the reality in which I am cursed to exist?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why yes, yes I did.

Are these all the people who just made bank by lying on kickstarter? (as if that would be atypical for kickstarter but lol they're all so punchable.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rabble posted:

Are these all the people who just made bank by lying on kickstarter? (as if that would be atypical for kickstarter but lol they're all so punchable.)
They're the people who did "the most successful Kickstarter ever" for Pebble and then did another round of Kickstarter this summer that ... didn't turn out so well. And yes, they certainly are punchable.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Not a Children posted:

if anyone flies one over my head, I will absolutely start shooting at it have to suppress a strong urge to shoot at it. I'm about 25 miles from anything you'd call a city.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 7, 2016

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They're the people who did "the most successful Kickstarter ever" for Pebble and then did another round of Kickstarter this summer that ... didn't turn out so well. And yes, they certainly are punchable.

I mean its not like they did anything terrible, supposedly people are getting a refund and kickstarter is a "spend at your own risk" libertarian paradise...but drat if this photo isn't the most gently caress you-iest gently caress you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well there's no warranty or any other support for existing customers. But that photo is definitely their worst offense.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Well there's no warranty or any other support for existing customers. But that photo is definitely their worst offense.
Funny you should mention that...

(from the same Kickstarter post)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why yes, yes I did.

None of those people are the founder Eric, the only person who might've made any money from the deal (though probably not even him). As far as I can tell most all of the money went to paying back creditors.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why yes, yes I did.

Is that one of those prehistoric adding machines behind them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Boot and Rally posted:

Is that one of those prehistoric adding machines behind them?
It's at the Computer History Museum.

Rabble posted:

What makes you think they made bank? A post-IPO company is picking over the smoldering crater while loudly commenting which bits they won't even touch. It's a bad exit for most.