Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I really do think that if he can manage to stay healthy for a full season and have a regular starting position, Soler can and will flourish into the the destroyer of baseballs he was hyped to be. The problem is that his legs are held together with hopes and dreams and the Cubs don't have a regular spot for him, so KC making him their regular DH will go a long way to solving both issues.

Obviously picking up Davis for only a year and hoping he avoids injury again is a gamble, but if it pays off and he look even remotely like his 2014-15 self then the Cubs are getting a very dominant closer for way less than what other teams are ponying up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Gomez coming back to Texas on a 1 year deal. Neat.

Wow Gomez and Wilson Ramos both got significantly less than what I thought they would.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I know people have been down on Soler but I do think he has some value. He's on a cheap deal for 4 more years and still really young. It was just 2 years ago he was one of the best prospects in baseball and tearing up the minor leagues. Just a year ago that he was crushing the ball in the playoffs. The guy has the ability to be a really good hitter and has shown it at times in the majors. The move to the Royals should help too because he can now play everyday and be a DH at times to reduce his injury risk.

Some of this is true but he was never one of the top prospects in baseball, at least according to BP, Fangraphs and MLB.com (the highest ranking I can find for him is #25 on the Fangraphs 2013 midseason list). The thing is if the Royals are prepared to accept a part-time corner OF/DH who might put it together next season but might not in exchange for their best reliever then there are plenty of teams who should be able to offer more than that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

GoatSeeGuy posted:

two rats loving in a wool sock

my favorite reference of all time

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Julio Cruz posted:

Some of this is true but he was never one of the top prospects in baseball, at least according to BP, Fangraphs and MLB.com (the highest ranking I can find for him is #25 on the Fangraphs 2013 midseason list). The thing is if the Royals are prepared to accept a part-time corner OF/DH who might put it together next season but might not in exchange for their best reliever then there are plenty of teams who should be able to offer more than that.

I'd really like to know what kind of package Washington was offering to pause the proceedings, and more importantly how much they'll overpay for Cutch or Jansen to avoid going 0 for the Winter so far. Soler is still just 24 and signed through 2020 at (pre-extension) Sal Perez money, which is what the Royals need, but what I don't get is why deal him now vs. July unless you're worried about medicals or you're blowing the whole thing up hoping for a quick turnaround.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806383881658265600

Welp

That really seems like a loving steal for the Cubs, barring any other important prospects going to the Royals.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know how credible they are but Baseball America had him at 12 going into the 2015 season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/2015-top-100-prospects/

The market for Davis might not have been that strong. Would a team really give up a top prospect for him right now? He's only got one year left and had arm issues last season. If the Royals are selling, Soler seems about right for his value right now. I guess they could wait till the deadline for a better haul. But that would mean hoping that he stays healthy and remains dominant. And even if that happens, what's the best case scenario? They nab the 30th best prospect in baseball for him or something?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't know how credible they are but Baseball America had him at 12 going into the 2015 season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/2015-top-100-prospects/

The market for Davis might not have been that strong. Would a team really give up a top prospect for him right now? He's only got one year left and had arm issues last season. If the Royals are selling, Soler seems about right for his value right now. I guess they could wait till the deadline for a better haul. But that would mean hoping that he stays healthy and remains dominant. And even if that happens, what's the best case scenario? They nab the 30th best prospect in baseball for him or something?
You don't think a healthy Wade Davis in July is worth what the Yankees got for Chapman this year?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

You don't think a healthy Wade Davis in July is worth what the Yankees got for Chapman this year?

Probably, but the Royals are in some weird retool/go for one last shot mode this coming season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs' outfield is only slightly clogged now! :toot:

I hope Soler finally clicks in KC and becomes the player I hoped he would be when he was in the minors.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Probably, but the Royals are in some weird retool/go for one last shot mode this coming season.
Then they might as well hang onto him to start the year and move him at the deadline when they know they're sellers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806383881658265600

Welp

That really seems like a loving steal for the Cubs, barring any other important prospects going to the Royals.

:lol: at the Nats how the gently caress do you not put together a better offer for Davis than "We'll give you a guy who hits pretty well when he's not dead. He's dead pretty much all the time though so..."

In all seriousness a straight swap is a steal for the Cubs since Soler didn't much playing time available anymore. If Davis comes back from his arm issues he'll be downright lethal, and if he doesn't then he's only around for a year and the Cubs only lost one piece on a gamble. I hope Soler goes on to murder baseballs for the Royals and maybe not pull so many hamstrings DH'ing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That seems like a really good trade for the Cubs. Not that Soler is bad but he really had nowhere to play for the Cubs in 2017.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Then they might as well hang onto him to start the year and move him at the deadline when they know they're sellers.

They still have Herrera and Soria and obviously want someone that can contribute this season. No contender is trading major league players with any value come the deadline.

It also saves them 5ish million dollars and fills a hole in RF (maybe).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Soler is a perfectly serviceable RF. He's no Heyward or anything and he's probably not going to leave his feet to make many plays, but he won't often miscue routine balls, has a cannon arm, and will occasionally wow with a pretty athletic catch.

The problem is more that every second he's standing in RF is another second the rubber bands holding his legs together could spontaneously snap.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GPTribefan posted:

Please oh please oh please let this open the door for the Indians to get EE. Astros, Sox, Jays, and Yankees are all out - is the market down enough for us to swoop in at 3/60?

The Astros are PROBABLY out but not definitely. Still don't have a 1B

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Maybe. I think the market conditions were just right last year and don't know if that will be the new norm. Also Torres was like the 25th best prospect in baseball at the time. That would appear to be the ceiling for a top of the line closer rental.

They could have held on to him till July but there is a risk in doing that. It's trade for Soler now or hope Davis stays healthy, dominates, and a team really needs a closer and is willing to give up the 25th best prospect in baseball for him. I think Soler is the safer route.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

CarGo deal is 1/$11.5m. A bit higher than I was hoping but not absurdly so. I was thinking more like $9.5-10m. Meh. I'm happy with the signing, he was a good fit last year.

will_colorado posted:

not the real CarGo :mad:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You mean GoGo silly!

This is why we need to start giving baseball players actual nicknames again. End the tyranny of the "CarGos" and "A-Rods" of the world, and give us more Millville Meteors!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
That is a very nice trade for the cubs and I hope the Nats do something like give Jansen 7/140

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

With the Cubs and Giants off the market, are there really a bunch of teams willing to pay those guys that kind of money? It seems like the Dodgers and Yankees are the only teams left who would pay that kind of money for a closer and they'd just be bidding against themselves.

Just because we traded for Wade Davis means we're out of the Jansen market? I don't see why we can't have both, assuming there's interest from Theo and Co to bring Jansen aboard.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 7, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wouldn't undersell 4 years of Jorge Soler (25-28 year old seasons) on a cheap contract. It's the kind of upside move small market teams should reach for. I really don't think this is a bad deal for the Royals, even if they could get "more" in prospects. Because prospects are prospects.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Soler may or may not succeed with the Royals, but he had no shot at playing time with the Cubs and his stock was at an all-time low. I love this trade from the Cubs' perspective because something had to give with that outfield. Too many good players!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Somehow, they will still re-acquire Chris Coghlan by July 31st.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So the Royals traded a guy who has had arguably the best three seasons a RP has ever had for a replacement level corner outfielder.

correction, an injury prone replacement level corner outfielder.

cool, cool

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Looks like the White Sox are officially blowing it up, the Astros and Nationals appear to be in talks to trade for Quintana.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

bewbies posted:

So the Royals traded a guy who has had arguably the best three seasons a RP has ever had for a replacement level corner outfielder.

correction, an injury prone replacement level corner outfielder.

cool, cool

A replacement level corner OF/DH that's under team control for 4 years and will be a steal if he can figure out how to turn his brilliant 2 week periods into an entire season

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Your Taint posted:

They have a chance to blow it all up like the Cubs did and be really really scary good in 3-5 years. Sale is a good start.

Thank you for my morning dose of comedy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean they have the chance to do so. But the Cubs were comically lucky that like every single one of their top prospects hit and were successful from the jump

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Get on that Quintana train, Theo. Toot toot!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lol at Reinsdorf making a trade that might make the Cubs look better than them.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Intruder posted:

The Astros are PROBABLY out but not definitely. Still don't have a 1B

I'd say they're pretty well out. Looks like the focus is on trying to land Quintana now?

Which, you know, good. Do that.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

At this point if the Nats are in on Davis I'd almost prefer they get fleeced in whatever panic buy mode they're in since they can't seem to land a single target this winter

This happened last year as well and it resulted in the Nats signing Murphy instead of Zobrist and avoiding the Heyward albatross soooooo I'm remaining optimistic for now. I would be surprised if they started overpaying in a panic move since their inability to land trade targets so far seems to stem from them being unwilling to give up their top prospects.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

They traded Eric Gagne?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tadashi posted:

Wrigleyville is on the fast track to being a literal theme park. You'll need a ticket to get in and, instead of Main Street USA, you'll walk down a West Addison ST which will be filled with homages to the sights and sounds of the good old days (that never existed) in Wrigleyville. There will be rides like the Marmolocoaster and the Mark Grace Beer Goggles Experience, there will be food inspired by famous Cubs figures, like the Harry Caray flaming liver, and there will be games, like Sammy Sosa's corked bat HR Derby.

Writing messages using empty beer cups and the chain link fence behind right field.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

A replacement level corner OF/DH that's under team control for 4 years and will be a steal if he can figure out how to turn his brilliant 2 week periods into an entire season

I mean it's not like there's a shortage of young corner OFs who might break out at some point, but most of them aren't owed $17.5 million.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

17.5 million over 4 years for at worst a 4th ofer with a high ceiling is not a bad thing to have.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zeeman posted:

This makes Os fans sound like literal children

My gf and I were visiting maryland during the wild card game. she was wearing her jays hat the next day. I can vouch for this.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Didn't see it posted, but the DBACKS signed Fernando Rodney.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806362612699189252.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Capt. Sticl posted:

Didn't see it posted, but the DBACKS signed Fernando Rodney.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806362612699189252.

I don't like this new diamondbacks world where they make good decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

I don't like this new diamondbacks world where they make good decisions.

Wait didn't most of us hate it when we had him in the pen?

Also if we get Jasnsen I think I'll cream myself right then. Our pen isn't terrible and we have some very solid pieces when healthy. CJ, Strop, Rondon, Davis, Jansen? My lord. And maybe even Monty in there if we'd sign Ross.

• Locked thread