Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they win a Darwin award?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'd do that too if I were stuck at a Jets Bills game.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Love the little ripple effect of the crowd after he hits.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

If you live in Florida there is absolutely no reason to have a second set of tires.

driving over crushed meth might require more traction than your typical summer tires provide

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

No amount of guarding can prevent people being idiots. :smith:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Annual Prophet posted:

just another couple of decimeters of height on that guarding rail would probably have been enough to keep his dumb rear end from trying that

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or just using railings people can't slide down.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtnIImGipg

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Haha, it only "snows" here in (north) Texas every other year or so, and we just all take the day off.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or just using railings people can't slide down.

railings covered with broken glass and concertina wire

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My personal experience with having a 4x4 is that the main difference on snow is that you'll still slide into the ditch but you may be able to get out of it without a tow

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blarzgh posted:

Haha, it only "snows" here in (north) Texas every other year or so, and we just all take the day off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-PK1wQrWs

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I used to drive my American friends that were stationed in Germany to and back from the Ochsenkopf in their cars so they could get tanked on their off-days while skiing (also OSHA territory), and most of them would have bought German cars while stationed there and just have the shops keep their sets of seasonal tires on hand and change them when necessary.

One friend had a Tahoe, and when i drove that Big fat fucker up to the slopes, I carefully asked what tires he had on it, getting, "dude, it's a 4WD" as an answer. The rest of that trip sure was an experience.

Tahoes with regular tires in the snow may be fun, but holy poo poo, they're dangerous

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Annual Prophet posted:

I remember when this was in the news. This goober only had minor injuries, but the guy he landed on had head, neck and back injuries and now suffers from chronic pain. I'd have to google, but I'm pretty sure he only got community service or something. I don't know how the civil suit from the guy he landed on turned out.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flosofl posted:

I remember when this was in the news. This goober only had minor injuries, but the guy he landed on had head, neck and back injuries and now suffers from chronic pain. I'd have to google, but I'm pretty sure he only got community service or something. I don't know how the civil suit from the guy he landed on turned out.

well yeah obviously the one actually getting hurt is some random bystander minding his own business

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The guy he landed on in this gif was temporarily paralyzed from the neck down and can barely walk. The dumbass who fell actually walked away from this, partly because the guy he landed on cushioned him so well. He then lost his job, got banned from the stadium for life, and got a 'minor' felony, a 1,200 dollar fine, and will definitely got sued into the dirt by the guy who's life he ruined with his stupidity.

Justice served.

OSHA/Crappy construction: A fire alarm in my apartment hallway started beeping last night at like 3 AM (why is it always super loving early in the morning when this happens). I got a stool, stood up and unscrewed from its ceiling mount to discover that the wires that it plugs into were totally stripped. So now I'm sitting here all pissed off and only slept 4 hours because some dumbass handyman booby trapped a loving fire alarm.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Basically, yes.

Edit: Also, we don't have like salt or whatever so we just load up dump trucks with sand and pour it out all over the roads.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Needs some Attenborough voiceover. :)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

blarzgh posted:

Basically, yes.

Edit: Also, we don't have like salt or whatever so we just load up dump trucks with sand and pour it out all over the roads.

I lived in Texas for about 7 years. The first time it snowed there and they did this I was like "WTF are these idiots doing?"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

Basically, yes.

That was exactly* what Atlanta looked like in the January 2014 ice storm:

*Less the rider, I guess.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The talk about the guy riding the robot and all the safeties that would have to be out of play for him to die horribly reminded me of an OHSA.txt story from my past.

I used to work at a printing press, the kind that makes checks, deposit slips, and custom carbon copy forms in large quantities. If you apply for a fishing liscence or register your car in my state (Maine), that kind of form still comes from that place to this day.

I worked on the production floor, specifically in bindery. I cut, stapled, glued, and otherwise did mid-stage prep work for tickets before they got to the packing and shipping queue. There were a few cutters (:emo:) but the one I used the most was the biggest one, the one we called The Beast. Its mouth was about four feet wide and two feet deep, and it could cut through stacks of paper up to two feet thick. And I don't know if any of you have had to deal with cutting paper in any great amount, but it is hell on blades because it's basically shearing through big, insanely dense blocks of wood. We had high-end blades made specifically for that, obviously, but we still had to change the blades on the reg.

Enter Larry and Howard. Howard was the de facto leader of our crew. The press was a high school/summer college job to me even when I was working 40 hours a week, and a lot of the others were part-timers. Howard was a full-timer, and an old hand at it. He was a lifer. He was also a giant brick of a dude. He was shaped and sized like John Goodman, and was about as loud. He wasn't as good natured as John Goodman, though. That'll become important.

Larry was our Klaus. Larry was one of the only other full-timers on the production line between the presses and shipping. And he was a stone-cold dumbass. Howard used to call him Cozy, as in beer cozy, as in, "here, hold my beer." Larry was that guy. He was in his fourties, like Howard, but he was less mature and responsible than I was, a typically dumb kid in his late-teens/early 20's back then. Larry liked to shrink wrap random objects in the giant, industrial-sized shrink wrapping machine over in shipping. Larry would try to staple through literally anything he could get his hands on. Larry would joke ("joke"?) that he liked the smell of the carbon copy form glue. Larry was dumb as hell.

Howard, Larry, and I were the sole operators of The Beast.

So remember when I said we had to change The Beast's blades all the time? Well, Larry took one of these times as an opportunity to test one of his... theories. He mentioned from time to time how "I bet you could shear your fuckin' arm off on this thing." Like, not all the time, but I remember him joking about it more than a few times. Howard and I would remind him that there were four redundant safeties that made shearing one's arm off practically impossible. That would be that, until the next time he joked about it.

The Beast had four safeties:

:black101: A laser that passed above the load but that your arm would break if it came too close to the blade during operation.

:black101: A density detection... doodad in the presser arm that was calibrated to tell the difference between, say, a stack of paper and human flesh. Basically, if it starts pressing down on anything besides paper, it ceases its operation even before the blade comes down.

:black101: A petal that must be pressed in order to execute an operation, programmed or manual. Step off the petal: blade comes up in mid-op.

:black101: If any part of the machine was disabled, like the presser arm during maintenance for example, it would not operate except by some arcane bullshit that I never figured out. I guess there was some override that was in there for some situations where you would need the blade to come down during maintenance. I never knew how to do it because anything besides changing the blades I left up to Howard.

One time, though, Howard told Larry that, theoretically, two of those safeties were not in effect during the changing of the blades, necessarily. The laser had to be disabled, and the density this was moot because the presser arm had to be disabled in order to get at the blade. It's literally the only time the blade can come down in any way without the presser arm coming down ahead of it.

So Larry, that enterprising soul, tested that theory. And he apparently knew how to override the operation lockout during maintenance. That was news to me, and to Howard.

Howard blazing at him from across the production floor may have saved his arm, maybe not. He might have stopped on his own. But I can say that Larry looked surprised as to how fast that blade came down without the presser arm having to come down. Usually a cut took a few seconds: a few seconds for the presser, and a one or two more for the blade. But the presser always took more time to settle down than the blade. Larry took his foot off the petal right when Howard saw what he was doing and yelled bloody murder at him. I don't think Larry would have done what was necessary to shear his arm off. It would have meant deliberately keeping his foot on the petal while the blade sheared his arm off, but I don't like to think much about Larry's motives or psychology.

That's my story. Don't be Klaus Larry.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I worked a floor up from the pressmen but every once in a while I'd have reason to go down there. Their machines required you to press two buttons an arm's span apart before the blade would come down, probably to stop shitheads like Larry.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The Dark One posted:

I worked a floor up from the pressmen but every once in a while I'd have reason to go down there. Their machines required you to press two buttons an arm's span apart before the blade would come down, probably to stop shitheads like Larry.

Pretty much. We had a couple smaller machines like that. Larry struck me as a guy who was not specifically morbid as much as he was breathtakingly immature, like he never stopped being a class clown. The problem with that is that its usually safe enough when it's spitballs and Elmer's glue in grade school, but when you're 45 and you're working with poo poo that can literally kill you, it's time to grow the gently caress up. Half of OSHA is just to deal with idiots like Larry.

I wonder now: is he still alive?

Probably not.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So he was what, planning to cut his own arm off? Or just "pull it out at the last second"? I don't understand what he was trying to do, let alone a motive.

What a nutcase.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

So he was what, planning to cut his own arm off? Or just "pull it out at the last second"? I don't understand what he was trying to do, let alone a motive.

What a nutcase.

My assumption was that he wanted to take it out at the last second, but the blade came down faster that he expected. He's a dumbass that shouldn't be trusted with safety scissors, let alone industrial equipment.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Harm reduction prevents arm reduction.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
At least he can still pet those rabbits. :shobon:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My dad was a pressman in a printshop with a bindery/pressman division. By his description the bindery was full of green 20 somethings and everyone who lasted until their 30s or 40s without a call up to a pressman or getting a job elsewhere were either tough hardheaded bastards and/or complete idiots and it was a wonder they weren't losing fingats on a daily basis.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

My dad was a pressman in a printshop with a bindery/pressman division. By his description the bindery was full of green 20 somethings and everyone who lasted until their 30s or 40s without a call up to a pressman or getting a job elsewhere were either tough hardheaded bastards and/or complete idiots and it was a wonder they weren't losing fingats on a daily basis.

To be fair, you only got 10 fingats to lose, so after the first 10 + reattachments, there ain't any more daily fingat losses.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Hmm...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Looks like standard issue New England plumbing. Warm toilet. No problem here. :colbert:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Bina posted:

Hmm...

I'm a plumber and what the gently caress? :psyduck:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
OSHA even comes for the children's fingats: https://consumerist.com/2016/12/07/playground-slide-recalled-after-kids-fingers-amputated/

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

ulmont posted:

That was exactly* what Atlanta looked like in the January 2014 ice storm:

*Less the rider, I guess.

from the Raleigh, NC snowpocalypse

how on earth do you get a car to catch fire in the snow. just rev the engine to the moon and hope the tires melt the snow and asphalt to get you going? :lol:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think you guys might've sold me some winter tires.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

KennyLoggins posted:

from the Raleigh, NC snowpocalypse

how on earth do you get a car to catch fire in the snow. just rev the engine to the moon and hope the tires melt the snow and asphalt to get you going? :lol:

http://krqe.com/2016/01/02/why-some-cars-catch-fire-during-snow-storms/

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ask the American Society of Civil Engineers about how no one in the US is fixing its failing infrastructure.

America will fall $1.44 trillion short of what it needs to spend on infrastructure through the next decade, a gap that could strip 2.5 million jobs and $4 trillion of gross domestic product from the economy, a report showed on Tuesday.

The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) estimates that through 2025, the United States has funded only about 56% of its needed infrastructure spending.

The nation needs to spend $3.32 trillion to keep its ports, highways, bridges, trains, water and electric facilities up to date but has funded only $1.88 trillion of that, ASCE said. The shortfall rises to $5.18 trillion through 2040 without new funding commitments.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/10/bridges-highways-spending-infrastructure/

On a grand scale, the report showed – yet again – that U.S. military spending easily dwarfed the rest of the world. With a defense budget of around $597 billion, it was almost as much as the next 14 countries put together and far larger than the rest of the world. China, a rising military power and the world's most populous country, is perhaps the only country that can hold a candle to America's military budget. However, its own budget of $145.8 billion is less than a third of the U.S. budget.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-of-the-world/

Who cares, usa number 1!!!11!!! in a failed jet program and wars and <flavor of which DEA war on drugs thing is hip>

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lime Tonics posted:

Who cares, usa number 1!!!11!!! in a failed jet program and wars and <flavor of which DEA war on drugs thing is hip>

Look, we could have functional infrastructure and millions of jobs or we could have a jet that can't fly. The choice is clear, F35s for everyone!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:catstare:

:supaburn: