Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The experience from side quests really doesn't matter and main quests give a metric fuckton of exp no matter what level you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SirSamVimes posted:

The experience from side quests really doesn't matter and main quests give a metric fuckton of exp no matter what level you are.
Unless you are overlevelled :v:

I am surprised no one has created an optimized way of doing the main quests to max XP gain.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah but a little pop up saying "1xp gained" is still a slap in the face

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unless you are overlevelled :v:

I am surprised no one has created an optimized way of doing the main quests to max XP gain.

Trying to min-max XP is pointless you're going to end up at level 32-33 at the end of the base game no matter what.

Ignore the quest level and XP imo, do quests that seem fun and skip the ones that don't.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Trying to min-max XP is pointless you're going to end up at level 32-33 at the end of the base game no matter what.

Ignore the quest level and XP imo, do quests that seem fun and skip the ones that don't.
Oh I know. I havent played the game in a year (and have not done the expansions yet) but am still reading this thread because it is such a good game and I love reading about peoples' experiences in it. That does not mean that I am not surprised that some grog hasnt powergamed the poo poo out of the game because thats what people do.

I also appreciate that people are still spoilering things.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pellisworth posted:

Don't do this. A lot of good quests, and one of the best, is hidden behind seeming mundanity. Just do all the quests, there aren't really any boring ones.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't do this. A lot of good quests, and one of the best, is hidden behind seeming mundanity. Just do all the quests, there aren't really any boring ones.

This is the truth. I almost skipped Wild At Heart because the notice just said "find my missing wife" and I thought it would be boring. I'm so glad I didn't skip it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Even just the main quest is pretty long, and I can see someone getting burned out on the game trying to get through all the Content. "Skip quests that don't sound interesting" is fine advice imo

Other fine advice: those question marks in the Skellige sea aren't hurting anyone. Leave them alone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

2house2fly posted:

Even the main quest is pretty long, and I can see someone getting burned out on the game trying to get through all the Content. "Skip quests that don't sound interesting" is fine advice imo
it is not

2house2fly posted:

Other fine advice: those question marks in the Skellige sea aren't hurting anyone. Leave them alone.
this is though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

The only reason I didn't gently caress with O'Dimm was because I didn't want him to get obsessed with Geralt. He seems like the kind of dude that would dedicate a lot of time to your downfall.

He didn't seem to do it with the other guy who beat him in past. I feel like if you win fair and square, he's not allowed to keep after you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One issue the game as an open world game has is that sidequesting at all feels completely at odds with the tone of the main questline. The story of trying to find Ciri and defeat the Wild Hunt is really really urgent and it feels kind of weird to take a break from that to help a troll paint a picture (as good as that and most of the sidequests are) or play cards. It's what stopped me from mostly avoiding sidequests until the last minute. I don't think there's any real good way of fixing that though

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Macaluso posted:

One issue the game as an open world game has is that sidequesting at all feels completely at odds with the tone of the main questline. The story of trying to find Ciri and defeat the Wild Hunt is really really urgent and it feels kind of weird to take a break from that to help a troll paint a picture (as good as that and most of the sidequests are) or play cards. It's what stopped me from mostly avoiding sidequests until the last minute. I don't think there's any real good way of fixing that though

This is why I liked Witcher 1 & 2 so much. The Chapters / areas allowed for much tighter storytelling, and still had a decent amount of sidequests. To me, open world games dont feel like they have more freedom, they're just spread more thin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thankfully most of the main quest isn't driven by time demanding objectives, but by geralt's investigations. He's not the best tracker in the world because he's fast but because he's thorough.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The whole game is framed as dandelion telling tales about his old buddy geralt's adventures if you put stock in how the journal is written. Just imagine he took a break from the major story to tease the crowd!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If that's the case, Dandelion took way too many loving notes on Geralt's Gwent matches.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, this is a valid criticism. They do end up addressing it midway through the game though. Avallach essentially gives you free reign to do whatever you want as long as Ciri is on the Isle of Mists. The game also demonstrates Ciri is capable of handling herself, so that somewhat reduces the urgency as well. The overall suspicion is she is in hiding, not that she has been captured, since if that was the case they would not be able to do much about it. Without revealing too many of the details, I'm not entirely sure how you avoid that, unless you quite literally put the game on rails up until certain story points.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you just follow the main quest objectives you can find yourself needing money to upgrade your equipment and stuff, which can justify taking on some contracts at least. I don't know how they'd expand your feeling of freedom to side-quest in such a story-focused game while keeping the story itself exciting, and tbh the solution might be "don't make a story-focused open world game"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I went into Witcher 3 cold, having not read any of the books or played either of the first two games, and made most of my in-game choices based on what felt right. Now I'm reading the books and am almost finished with Time of Contempt and already it feels like all of my choices were "correct". Usually on second playthroughs I'll pick the opposite of most choices just to see what happens differently, but the more I read the more I just want to make all the same decisions and enjoy them more with the added context.

My major ending choices were Yennefer relationship, Witcher Ciri & dead Dijkstra for those wondering.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HoS end choice: Geralt can live for a long time, so it's possible O'Dimm is banished only for 36 years or similar number. Regular dude in not-medieval Europe is statistically not likely to be around. Also monster slayer for hire with blond hair is easy to locate when he's back.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Witchers are basically immune to old age, right? They only ever die in combat and I heard one of the books says Vesemir is as old as Kaer Morhen.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
^^ I don't think that's mean literally. But yeah Witchers age really slowly.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, this is a valid criticism. They do end up addressing it midway through the game though. Avallach essentially gives you free reign to do whatever you want as long as Ciri is on the Isle of Mists. The game also demonstrates Ciri is capable of handling herself, so that somewhat reduces the urgency as well. The overall suspicion is she is in hiding, not that she has been captured, since if that was the case they would not be able to do much about it. Without revealing too many of the details, I'm not entirely sure how you avoid that, unless you quite literally put the game on rails up until certain story points.

???
Doesn't he literally tell you to hurry? And the Hunt shows up on the Isle while you're still there, though I guess they might have only found out where she is when she woke up?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Witchers are basically immune to old age, right? They only ever die in combat and I heard one of the books says Vesemir is as old as Kaer Morhen.

I'm not quite clear on whether it's that they never die of old age because the mutations mean they can't, or if it's just because on a long enough timeline every witcher gets killed horribly and nobody's been able to test whether they ever just die on their own eventually.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I really like how Geralt's plan for the botchling is basically "I dunno I heard about this thing one time maybe that will work"

e: like he's just a dude who has heard some stuff and is basically superman and people just pay him to shovel their poo poo, this game owns.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I really like how Geralt's plan for the botchling is basically "I dunno I heard about this thing one time maybe that will work"

e: like he's just a dude who has heard some stuff and is basically superman and people just pay him to shovel their poo poo, this game owns.

Basically every winter the witchers all get together to talk about all the weird stuff they did that year and they write it all down and memorize the relevant facts from each others' experiences. They live in an insane folk tale world where every monster has its own bonkers rules for how you have to deal with them, and witchers are the only ones who actually learn all this nonsense. There's a reason people hire Geralt, and it's because he's spent sixty years doing nothing but practicing chemistry and memorizing errata about how some other witcher once dealt with an obscure edge case like the physical manifestation of an angry witch-mediated abuse abortion.

Another thing I love about the game is how Geralt is really really good at his job but just completely hopeless at anything else. The Redanian Birdo scene or the Doppler's Salvation are great, especially after tripe like Skyrim where everyone falls over backwards to tell the player how wonderful they are at everything they do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If that's the case, Dandelion took way too many loving notes on Geralt's Gwent matches.

Dandelion: But before I tell you more of how Geralt found himself trapped in a Succubus lair.... would anybody like to hear about some Gwent?
Crowd quietly nods their heads in approval

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
doppler's salvation is the best

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not quite clear on whether it's that they never die of old age because the mutations mean they can't, or if it's just because on a long enough timeline every witcher gets killed horribly and nobody's been able to test whether they ever just die on their own eventually.

I believe that if you allow the two doctors in Flotsam to take a study sample from Geralt in Witcher 2, you can find some of their experiment notes near Oxenfurt Academy in 3. They basically were studying the viability of Witchers passing on their genetic traits, so they tried to concoct a serum that would make Geralt fertile again, and then bet on how many prostitutes Geralt would bang and see if any white haired children popped up. It'd be interesting to study Witcher genes without the need for the monster slaying profession.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Basically every winter the witchers all get together to talk about all the weird stuff they did that year and they write it all down and memorize the relevant facts from each others' experiences. They live in an insane folk tale world where every monster has its own bonkers rules for how you have to deal with them, and witchers are the only ones who actually learn all this nonsense. There's a reason people hire Geralt, and it's because he's spent sixty years doing nothing but practicing chemistry and memorizing errata about how some other witcher once dealt with an obscure edge case like the physical manifestation of an angry witch-mediated abuse abortion.

There really should have been witcher sub-orders of librarians that they put the weak kids in that could keep going as the fighter schools die out.

They could modernise by renting themselves out to local militias as consultants. All that knowledge really needs to be kept.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

MikeJF posted:

There really should have been witcher sub-orders of librarians that they put the weak kids in that could keep going as the fighter schools die out.

They could modernise by renting themselves out to local militias as consultants. All that knowledge really needs to be kept.

Honestly I could actually really easily see that happening in the Witcherverse, if the schools weren't mostly wiped out.

Mzbundifund posted:

Another thing I love about the game is how Geralt is really really good at his job but just completely hopeless at anything else. The Redanian Birdo scene or the Doppler's Salvation are great, especially after tripe like Skyrim where everyone falls over backwards to tell the player how wonderful they are at everything they do.

Thats one thing I think works about this game so well, its a role playing game you are playing Geralt of Rivia. Not insert blank wish fulfillment NPC everyone worships.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

What does Redanian Birdo mean?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

2house2fly posted:

The quest where geralt helps a troll soldier get an insignia.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

2house2fly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61-FWy0gSQ

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I didn't want to murder you, lady I hosed. I just wanted those papers :smith:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

why does everyone do this lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

why does everyone do this lol

"gimme those papers" didn't seem like a thing that would end with me literally murdering her

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol, like if you don't successfully send Kiera off to Kaer Morhen, you have made some terrible Geralt-life decisions.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

lol, like if you don't successfully send Kiera off to Kaer Morhen, you have made some terrible Geralt-life decisions.

I'm basically playing Geralt as some kind of monster killing autist/sevant.

So yeah, I'm probably making a ton of "wrong" choices

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

For people who feel bad about the crones questline, I just found out that there is an ingame book that says that the spirit in the whispering hillock is the crones' mother. She went too crazy even for them. So if you freed her, she's probably out there killing plenty of people right now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

For people who feel bad about the crones questline, I just found out that there is an ingame book that says that the spirit in the whispering hillock is the crones' mother. She went too crazy even for them. So if you freed her, she's probably out there killing plenty of people right now.

well, that's exactly what happens once you transfer her consciousness into that horse. (I love that that is a thing that can happen.) It rockets towards that one town she was pissed at and slaughters everyone and it is super gross.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally upgraded my video card and can now run this thing maxed out on my 5+ year old rig. Started last night, imported my Roche save (long live the tatt) where Henselt is dead, I'm assuming that will have a lot of bearing on the story.

I'm using a DS4 via DS4Windows and it works perfectly except for a couple issues that are only with this game:

- D-Pad always toggles by two steps in every direction, not one.

- The X (Xbox A button) confirmation on a lot of things (board postings, gwent cards) also double clicks and often selects multiple things (whenever I toggle signs/bombs in the quick menu Geralt always rolls on exit, which can be problematic).

- Holding Circle (B equivalent) while on horseback doesn't seem to want to let me dismount, I have to hit E on the keyboard.

I'm unsure of what settings I'd have to gently caress with in DS4Win to fix all of these, but I'm also thinking maybe it's a framerate issue... I have max FPS set to 60 and everything on ultra but I'm still swinging 90+ fps and getting lots of tearing on my trusty old 60Hz monitor (yes, I know. That's the next step) to the point where I actually had to turn on V-Sync because Adaptive wasn't cutting it, but with V-Sync on it's still having the issues which leads me to believe it's a polling rate issue or something with the controller emulation.

Anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion? And no, going out and buying a bone/360 controller isn't an ideal suggestion since I hate both controllers and already have a 360 pad that I'm specifically not using (because it's terrible).

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 7, 2016