Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Augus posted:

"Kuririn was changed to Bongo"
:wtc:

he didn't want to leave the congo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

"Kuririn was changed to Bongo"
:wtc:

In the Speedy dub version of the Bojack movie, Krillin is called "Infinite Hands".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

he didn't want to leave the congo

They say they've got the Kienzan
But I think I'll stay where I an
Satan City
I'll stay right here!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Anime Eyes Wide Shut I guess

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that's sort of amusing about the DBZ DVD sets I have (waiting for season four to arrive, which is Garlic Jr. and Trunks) is that they never change the opening or closing titles, so all the way through you've got opening credits with Vegeta and Nappa as the main villains ending on a group shot with Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu and Roshi, then the closing credits are entirely focused on Gohan and have all these shots from Dragon Ball with Launch, Yajirobe, Oolong and Puar all featured prominently.

The opening gets updated for the Trunks arc, but the ending remains the same for the first 200 episodes of the series. Ah, the time before we got a new ending theme every 10 to 20 episodes.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

If you know Japanese or like the Japanese dub you might like this. Or not. I don't care I just wanted to post this gem here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUeawC8Npgs&hd=1

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kelp Plankton posted:

The lipflaps are the most important part of translating anime in the 90s

Are they no longer as important for some reason?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

tsob posted:

Are they no longer as important for some reason?

They can be edited now much more easily than they used to be. Matching existing ones still happens when possible but there's a lot of "just say it naturally and we'll fix the lipflaps because they're really weird for english sentence structure" stuff now, which did not used to be a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

They can be edited now much more easily than they used to be. Matching existing ones still happens when possible but there's a lot of "just say it naturally and we'll fix the lipflaps because they're really weird for english sentence structure" stuff now, which did not used to be a thing.

Yeah, it should be noted that while they're not pefect, Team Four Star does this stuff pretty trivially for every episode they do and most of the time that just means more significant edits rather than just slight timing adjustments.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I wanted to check Duel Masters out but this...this is worth considering

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Looper posted:

I wanted to check Duel Masters out but this...this is worth considering

In GX this is an occasional occurrence, in Duel Masters it's the entire show.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

GX has an archaeologist/duelist that broke his leg and had emergency surgery to replace the bone with a fossil, so now he has Dino DNO and dinosaur eyes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I'm 100% sure this was after YGO Abridged blew up and 4Kids altered their scripts to try and get in on the sweet parody money.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gruckles posted:

GX has an archaeologist/duelist that broke his leg and had emergency surgery to replace the bone with a fossil, so now he has Dino DNO and dinosaur eyes.

Later on he channels into his soul form to become a dinosaur with a bandana and punched a space satellite so it doesn't send beams of light that will brainwash the people of earth.

Near the end of the show he had a duel with a guy named Mr. T who uses people's darkness against them. This archaeologist had none, so he was sent back to his previous life where he was a tyranosaurus rex (and it was the happiest moment of his life) but then he lived the moment when he ate a triceratops that ended up becoming the fossil that's in his leg and thus the ghost of that and all the other dinosaurs he ate started devouring his soul.

I loving love Gx sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm 100% sure this was after YGO Abridged blew up and 4Kids altered their scripts to try and get in on the sweet parody money.

I genuinely have no clue if this is a joke or not

Yugioh was/is a goddamn rollercoaster

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

that's the beginning of season 3 which 2 of those webms are from

there's a lot of dumb and weird poo poo they did before that and it's good

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ruggington posted:

and sean schemmel's greatest role

https://a.pomf.cat/qemyps.webm

Truly, he is a man of many, many talents.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

HitTheTargets posted:

What would the DBZ crew be called if their names were Americanized?

I'm thinking Goku would be Clark because of some smug-rear end assistant editor

Not Mr Kent? The Superman?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Kelp Plankton posted:

They'd just be vaguely American type names that can fit the same lipflaps as the Japanese ones. The lipflaps are the most important part of translating anime in the 90s, more than having things be similar at all.

Satoshi = Ash
Shigeru = Gary
Kasumi = Misty
Takeshi = Brock

:confused:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Leroy Dennui posted:

Satoshi = Ash
Shigeru = Gary
Kasumi = Misty
Takeshi = Brock

:confused:

those are all names used by the video games, that's an entirely different situation

plus 99.9999999% of anime didn't have that Pokemon Craze Budget to do whatever edits they needed

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kelp Plankton posted:

those are all names used by the video games, that's an entirely different situation

plus 99.9999999% of anime didn't have that Pokemon Craze Budget to do whatever edits they needed

Ash and Gary got their start in the anime. In the games their names are assigned by the player.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pureauthor posted:

Ash and Gary got their start in the anime. In the games their names are assigned by the player.

Those are two of the preselectable names from the games, though. The very first options other than Red/Blue. I don't know if we actually know which came first in this particular situation though, I'm not a Pokemon anime expert

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pureauthor posted:

They have default canonical names of Red and Green in the games, but yeah. Or Blue, I guess, in the US.

This is confirmed when they appear in later games, like Gold/Silver and Sun/Moon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kelp Plankton posted:

What you need to look at are the lesser characters not in the games, like Masamune being renamed Morrison (and voiced by the equivalent Gokus, too). You know, the fat samurai that chased a rolling sub downhill.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh hey.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/806574866786877440

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/806577385814552577

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcreG-bhRRA

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
loving finally

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

finally two gokus running on the same block

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ruggington posted:

finally two gokus running on the same block

if they fused they'd be called Goku

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

woahku

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Some of these Kai voice casting details look a bit.. suspicious..

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And in three years time Manga will have their finger out of their arse long enough to sell shittily encoded BRs and DVDs of them.

:scotland:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

New Leaf posted:

Some of these Kai voice casting details look a bit.. suspicious..

They likely won't but would be pretty awesome if they used the Abridged voices for those.

Or hell maybe they are and want it to be a surprise which is why they didn't put the real names.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dexo posted:

Oh hey.

Glad to see Super but, christ, loving finally on getting the Buu saga. I can't be bothered to sit through Z anymore, so glad they're finishing dubbing all of Kai at last.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

will we get an english version of the OP?

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
US dubs being retarded and kiddifying scripts/editing shows in an absurd and embarassing way does not excuse the DBZ dub at all. It's still terrible regardless of the cirumstanes of other dubs at the time.

I am not familiar with the new FUNimation dub. While I don't doubt that the script got better, and I appreciate them for trying, as long as they kept the same godawful, grating, amateurish voice actors for Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma, Gohan and other main characters that appear in almost every episode, it's still poo poo.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 7, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What if this time we don't take the bait and have a uselessly long debate about dub voices vs original voices that goes nowhere?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Calling it Dragon Ball Z Kai is so weird

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

US dubs being retarded and kiddifying scripts/editing shows in an absurd and embarassing way does not excuse the DBZ dub. It's still terrible regardless of the cirumstanes off the other dubs at the time.

I am not familiar with the new FUNimation dub. While I don't doubt that the script got better, and I appreciate them for trying, as long as it kept the same godawful, grating, amateurish voice actors for Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma, Gohan and other main characters that appear in almost every episode, it's still poo poo.

Piccolo-san dai-dai-dai-dai-daisuki :colbert:

Krillin is okay, too. Sean Schemmel's Goku can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spidder posted:

US dubs being retarded and kiddifying scripts/editing shows in an absurd and embarassing way does not excuse the DBZ dub at all. It's still terrible regardless of the cirumstanes of other dubs at the time.

I am not familiar with the new FUNimation dub. While I don't doubt that the script got better, and I appreciate them for trying, as long as they kept the same godawful, grating, amateurish voice actors for Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma, Gohan and other main characters that appear in almost every episode, it's still poo poo.

Feeling this strongly about a dub just reassures me that you're posting in the right subforum, wrong though you may be. Cheers, bud.:cheers:

• Locked thread