Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SeldomSeen posted:

I backed this for a time 2 back in June, then forgot about it until last month. I got all hyped, and then more and more worried as the month slipped away with no information. Now just hoping I haven't flushed $160+ down the toilet. My first kickstarter, never again!

There's zero evidence that kickstarter deliveries will be affected by this in any way. If anything, it's likely to help.

I'm really sad to see Pebble die in exactly the same way Palm did. I'm gonna keep my Time Steel as a backup and get a Time 2 if they end up on sale. I hope they can at least open it up for community software updates so we can get a few more years of compatibility :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's zero evidence that kickstarter deliveries will be affected by this in any way. If anything, it's likely to help.

The Time 2 was slated for November 2016, so...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grilldos posted:

The Time 2 was slated for November 2016, so...

Kickstarter delays are nothing new. That said, I did try to get a refund because I already have a Charge HR 2 now. If Fitbit makes new things with Pebble technology, I'm definitely back in.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Kickstarter delays are nothing new. That said, I did try to get a refund because I already have a Charge HR 2 now. If Fitbit makes new things with Pebble technology, I'm definitely back in.

As if they will will - they're just going to shut it down, add the IP to their portfolio, and then angle to try getting acquired by a larger, more expansive company.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LeJackal posted:

As if they will will - they're just going to shut it down, add the IP to their portfolio, and then angle to try getting acquired by a larger, more expansive company.

Ehhh... I don't know that Pebble has that much IP that Fitbit give a poo poo about :

http://patentvue.com/2016/12/01/acquisition-of-pebble-will-include-a-narrow-patent-portfolio-for-fitbit/

To me it is clear what Fitbit wants, the Pebble OS and it's engineers, Fitbit's biggest handicap is notification support and MAYBE, MAYBE app support and custom watch faces although I doubt they care that much about it. They tried with the Blaze, it was a disaster. They also use a button interface and neither seems interested in touch screens

It would be ambitious but I wouldn't be surprised if for next holiday season we see Pebble OS married to the Fitbit PurePulse (Which is really, really good according to almost all accounts) and tracking algorithm which is best in the business running on a B/W OLED display and all of the third party app and watch face support stripped out besides Fitbit's own ability to sell you watch faces and third party apps to buy access (Like Yelp, Zillow, Facebook, etc).

Which would be hugely disappointing, it basically guts the essence of Pebble but it's where Pebble's and Fitbit's assets almost perfectly align with the vision of Fitbit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pebbel has removed references to the Time 2 and refunds from their kickstarter FAQ https://help.getpebble.com/customer/portal/articles/1831451-kickstarter-frequently-asked-questions

It would seriously be hosed up for no refunds to be issued. Should I start a chargeback with my bank do you think?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pebbel has removed references to the Time 2 and refunds from their kickstarter FAQ https://help.getpebble.com/customer/portal/articles/1831451-kickstarter-frequently-asked-questions

It would seriously be hosed up for no refunds to be issued. Should I start a chargeback with my bank do you think?

Do you actually want to get it, or do you want a refund? Have you tried emailing them, or contacting them through Kickstarter?

They haven't announced anything about cancelling Time 2 orders, and I'd be pretty surprised if they did.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Do you actually want to get it, or do you want a refund? Have you tried emailing them, or contacting them through Kickstarter?

They haven't announced anything about cancelling Time 2 orders, and I'd be pretty surprised if they did.

I've tried contacting them through their website, email, and Kickstarter, even tweeting at them. No response for a week now. At this point I just want my money back. I have zero faith the PT2 will ever see the light of day.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've tried contacting them through their website, email, and Kickstarter, even tweeting at them. No response for a week now. At this point I just want my money back. I have zero faith the PT2 will ever see the light of day.

I'm sure they're swamped. If you want to be nice about it, you could send them another message and say "I've tried to request a refund, but I haven't heard from you in over a week. I'd like to resolve this, but I need to hear back by Friday. If I don't hear from you, I'll have to assume you're unable to process my request and I'll file a chargeback with my bank."

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Pebble just posted a thing on Instagram telling everyone to "have a restful weekend" while they prepare an update to their Kickstarter "answering all your questions." So, to be continued?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm sure they're swamped. If you want to be nice about it, you could send them another message and say "I've tried to request a refund, but I haven't heard from you in over a week. I'd like to resolve this, but I need to hear back by Friday. If I don't hear from you, I'll have to assume you're unable to process my request and I'll file a chargeback with my bank."

That's fair. I'll try that, and see what this mess turns into on Monday. Then chargeback by the end of next week, if nothing.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

So, I have a question. I had a pebble steel for a while, but stopped using it after the band broke and I never got around to getting a new one. Recently, I switched to iOS from Android due to compatibility issues with my new hearing aids. How is compatibility with the newer iPhones?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Worse than Android but better than before

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Three Olives posted:

It would be ambitious but I wouldn't be surprised if for next holiday season we see Pebble OS married to the Fitbit PurePulse (Which is really, really good according to almost all accounts) and tracking algorithm which is best in the business running on a B/W OLED display and all of the third party app and watch face support stripped out besides Fitbit's own ability to sell you watch faces and third party apps to buy access (Like Yelp, Zillow, Facebook, etc).

The thing I hate the most about Pebble is paid watchfaces, and charging for third party apps is icing on that shitcake.

I better start figuring out how to do my own watchfaces hosted on my own servers or something.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you have a basic understanding of coding you can pinch code form other faces for whatever you want to do and it's not that complicated. If not it's probably going to be difficult

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

One of the funniest things about the paid watch faces is that Pebble didn't create a way to charge for them and get a cut. They seem like they rely on third-party services for payment.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A real shame, as I think the Pebble is a really good "baby's first smartwatch" that lets you see if it's the kind of thing you want before throwing hundreds into an Apple or Android watch. For some, a notifications device with some basic fitness tracking and other small frills is all you really want, and Pebble can get you that for under $100.

Personally, I returned my Time 1 after just a few weeks because I wanted more functionality. Their app store is a real sad sight these days, as I found that numerous apps on old recommendation lists had long been dropped. Even worse are the scores of "free" apps that required a paid third-party app on your phone, complete with tons of one-star reviews saying they were scams. Wasn't going to spend a buck rolling the dice on poo poo like that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So where is this update? I'm about to just go and cancel my order.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
its supposed to come this week. Are you really surprised that after like 1.5 months of silence that it didn't come out ASAP?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It's all but official at this point: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/pebble-said-to-discuss-selling-software-assets-to-fitbit

Pebble done hosed up. That's what you get when you have too many engineers and not enough business people on a team, especially one that deals with hardware.

I guess the best course of action will be to wait a year or so for the Fitbit Blaze 2 or whatever to come out :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

The Time 2 and Pebble Core will be canceled and refunds will be issued to Kickstarter backers, one of the people said.

There's this at least.

Really sad. Pebble had a good unique thing going and they completely hosed up and squandered it, what a shame.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anybody who backed any of the watches on KS is getting the update email, but here's a link to the blog post anyway. Ceasing all operations, warranty support gone, all returns before today will be honored, all backers without their new watch getting a refund. :sad:

https://blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Reminder that depending if you keep your paperwork, your credit card might still offer refund/warranty coverage

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok, so now what do I get for a waterproof watch with notifications, a color screen, and a 7 day battery? Really was looking forward to replacing my original Pebble with a Pebble Time 2. Oh well.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, so now what do I get for a waterproof watch with notifications, a color screen, and a 7 day battery? Really was looking forward to replacing my original Pebble with a Pebble Time 2. Oh well.

For reals. I don't know what to do about my screen tearing Pebble Classic now. At least I'll get my refund in my brother's PT2 soon since I asked for it last week; I wonder how long it'll be until I get the refund on my own.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
oh well I will miss my sweet little notification watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
And today is your reminder of one of the most important rules of the internet, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

^^^ Agreed

I'm happy I'm going to get my money back, but disappointed I'm not getting the time 2, was really looking forward to it. Been doing a little research and there is really nothing else on the market with comparable features.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

And today is your reminder of one of the most important rules of the internet, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

Eh, they're still refunding pledges at least. I backed their first two (and several other campaigns) that went fine. I think its like any other risky venture. Judge whether you believe the campaign will be successful and can fulfill the promises made, and if you can handle just pissing that money away if it goes totally tits up. Only one of the half dozen or so Kickstarters I've backed hasn't followed through with their entire premise, and it was coincidentally the most flaky looking from the start and the one I pledged the least amount to, and I still at least got a USB stick out of it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:(

I guess Vector is my Pebble alternative once my Time dies (it's already starting to pop out of the case a bit)

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day
I sorta feel bad for the smart strap developers who just had all of their work thrown into the garbage. I actually kickstarted these guys (http://www.pagare.me/) wonder if I'll see a refund?

Does anyone have any idea what "Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future." would mean? Are we talking timeline, app store or the weather kinda thing going down in the near future? My Pebble Time Round is fantastic, but I'm wondering if it would make any sense at all to buy some super discounted Pebble 2 in the future. I don't have an issue if I can download the apps I want early and just use it for those and telling time/receiving notifications.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That's a drat shame because I really like my time but at least I'll get my money back
Now to look for a decent cheap alternative with as good battery life and customization options

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
RIP. Got my round through the store (because gently caress kickstarter) and it's the best smartwatch I've ever had. Time to use it until it literally breaks on me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waiting 4 months (until March 2017) for a refund is horseshit, and I will likely lose out due to the USD exchange rate. Definitely chargeback time.

Never backing another kickstarter. I have learned my lesson.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If iOS or Android updates affect the watch at all you're hosed. I won't expect any official pebble software updates. The store/app was a ghost town even when it was still a company. Now? Forget it.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
In the words of our future presidente - SAD!

I really liked my OG pebble and used it for a long time. My girlfriend was just about to buy me a new one for Christmas but thank God the news came before she bought me anything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chargeback started and my bank already credited the amount back to me. At the original USD exchange rate too. I recommend you all do that, gently caress waiting 4 months.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bobalbmi posted:

I sorta feel bad for the smart strap developers who just had all of their work thrown into the garbage. I actually kickstarted these guys (http://www.pagare.me/) wonder if I'll see a refund?

Does anyone have any idea what "Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future." would mean? Are we talking timeline, app store or the weather kinda thing going down in the near future? My Pebble Time Round is fantastic, but I'm wondering if it would make any sense at all to buy some super discounted Pebble 2 in the future. I don't have an issue if I can download the apps I want early and just use it for those and telling time/receiving notifications.
It likely means they're not going to be releasing updates for the app, so if your phone updates and the Pebble app stops working them you're hosed.

Also probably suggesting that the Pebble app store will be shuttering at some point, so no updates for watch apps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bobalbmi posted:

They announced no refunds. They spent the kickstarter money and more on development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

They announced no refunds. They spent the kickstarter money and more on development.

Yea no refunds or warranty support. Owned

• Locked thread