Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh yeah, another reason to not use FARL: I can never figure out how the gently caress to actually use it! At least my blueprints make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I've been playing vanilla for a few months and only recently started using trains and traveling far away. Do resource patches get larger with distance in vanilla, or is that a mod?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think they added that to vanilla, but it's nothing like RSO.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh yeah, another reason to not use FARL: I can never figure out how the gently caress to actually use it! At least my blueprints make sense.

lookit at this fool that doesn't understand how a dumb mod works.

With two blank blueprints in your toolbar, hop on the train, go to Settings, click on Create Blueprint (both) :

Place those blueprints wherever and modify them as you please:
(default)

(mine. No walls, no concrete, one light, signals for right-hand traffic)

Replace the default blueprints with yours (keep them on the toolbar), hop on the train, Settings then click on Read:

(remember to save your layout if, for some reason, you want to use another one later on)

You could create your own blueprints from scratch and skip most of these steps, of course, but I think modifying the default ones is the easiest method.

Now, just load some wagons with any items you've put in your blueprints and off you go.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also note that you can use wooden boxes in your blueprints to make FARL's tree and rock clearing reach wider, as well as add other stuff to the blueprint. (FARL won't actually place wooden crates, this is coded into the mod to let you add blank buffer area on the sides.)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

seravid posted:

lookit at this fool that doesn't understand how a dumb mod works.

With two blank blueprints in your toolbar, hop on the train, go to Settings, click on Create Blueprint (both) :

Place those blueprints wherever and modify them as you please:
(default)

(mine. No walls, no concrete, one light, signals for right-hand traffic)

Replace the default blueprints with yours (keep them on the toolbar), hop on the train, Settings then click on Read:

(remember to save your layout if, for some reason, you want to use another one later on)

You could create your own blueprints from scratch and skip most of these steps, of course, but I think modifying the default ones is the easiest method.

Now, just load some wagons with any items you've put in your blueprints and off you go.

Things it took me a while to figure out: the track with a CHAIN signal in the blueprint is the one that the FARL will travel on - so if you have a four-track blueprint and want the FARL to be on the outermost right track, that track should be the one with the chain signal on it in your blueprint. The other tracks should all have regular signals facing in the appropriate direction of travel relative to where the FARL will be facing.

...Does that make any sense?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ignoranus posted:

...Does that make any sense?

Absolutely. I actually had a pic for this scenario:

Chain signal on the second rail = train on the second rail.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For some reason whenever I click the Read blueprint buttons the only output I get is '0' even if I use the blueprints FARL itself creates. There's also that Saved Layouts section in the settings that I can't figure out what it's for. Sounds like mine is broken somehow, but how would I know with the documentation being so bad.

E: oh look you explained what stored layouts are too.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Example: if you're using two-lanes for most of your tracks but four-lanes for heavy traffic, you can save both layouts instead of having to keep four blueprints on you at all times and having to Read them over and over. Two-lane on the first slot (correct blueprints on the toolbar, then S to save), four-lane on the second (same thing), then just load the one you need.

Re.: 0 message, you can't have any other blueprints on the toolbar but the FARL ones. After you've read and saved them, you can remove the FARL ones and put back whatever it is you had there.

edit:

M_Gargantua posted:

Also note that you can use wooden boxes in your blueprints to make FARL's tree and rock clearing reach wider, as well as add other stuff to the blueprint. (FARL won't actually place wooden crates, this is coded into the mod to let you add blank buffer area on the sides.)

That's pretty useful.

seravid fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 3, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sharkbomb posted:

I've been playing vanilla for a few months and only recently started using trains and traveling far away. Do resource patches get larger with distance in vanilla, or is that a mod?
They get larger the futher they are from an existing patch (so you see either lots of small patches or a few large patches) based on a "wave" type algorithm.

They get richer based on absolute distance. So the ore field will be the same size but the drills will last much longer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The latest FFF has details about their nuclear implementation, which sounds interesting (and very similar to GotLag's mod): https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-167

Same basic concept of a main reactor building with outputs for hot water, pump all that into your boilers which generate steam for the engines, use cooling towers to dump excess heat. The big change is that boilers are going to be 3x2 instead of 1x1. I wonder if they'll break save compatibility entirely or let you carry it forward and deal with the hassle of rebuilding your steam power if you want.

Also, preview of the new desert biome which looks very cool.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I still wont use FARL because my current game is a 100 tall Ribbon world.

sharkbomb posted:

From what I remember they do grow larger the farther away you are from the starting point.

Edit: Kinda old screenshot of my current factory. You can kind of see my ratlines.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 4, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gadzuko posted:

The latest FFF has details about their nuclear implementation, which sounds interesting (and very similar to GotLag's mod): https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-167

Same basic concept of a main reactor building with outputs for hot water, pump all that into your boilers which generate steam for the engines, use cooling towers to dump excess heat. The big change is that boilers are going to be 3x2 instead of 1x1. I wonder if they'll break save compatibility entirely or let you carry it forward and deal with the hassle of rebuilding your steam power if you want.

Also, preview of the new desert biome which looks very cool.

It's a bit different from my mod. The 0.15 nukes are going to have heat outputs, that you connect to boilers directly or via "heat pipes". Boilers will be able to run on that heat instead of fuel.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

GotLag posted:

"heat pipes"

Now I'm imagining burying your heat pipes in the ground so biters get burned when they step on them.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
on my planet heat pipes are known as "flamethrowers"

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Random question, what's the console command to turn off peaceful until attacked?

code:
/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode=false
Or true, to turn it on again.

Note that these changes do not affect existing biters, only newly spawned ones, so you'll want to follow it up with
code:
/c game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units()

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

What is a better strategy in terms of time consumption vs. results - keeping your initial wall-off, and encasing subsequent mining outposts in their own walls, while leaving the rest of your rail network exposed to biters, or simply expanding your retaining walls constantly whenever you need new mining sites, and keeping those mining sites naked?

Also for a multi-stop ore bases, is it better to just use active providers and thousands of bots as opposed to trying to thread belts through a rather busy area?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

You can't put a wall around the whole map and tracks need no defense. I do block any chokepoints near my railroads, so vast swaths of territory end up safe with little effort; any outpost outside the walls is encircled by a couple dozen turrets.

Some of the walls are visible here:

My current 1RPM uses bots to sort out ore (even though my iron and copper smelters are separate facilities), but next time I'll go with belts. Should gain me a couple FPS.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've always felt masses of robots were a bit "cheating" and going against the spirit of Factorio. I view robots more as a necessary evil to avoid the extreme tedium of clearing out trees and other repetitive behaviors/mechanics (like expanding your smelting facilities).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I've always felt masses of robots were a bit "cheating" and going against the spirit of Factorio. I view robots more as a necessary evil to avoid the extreme tedium of clearing out trees and other repetitive behaviors/mechanics (like expanding your smelting facilities).

If it's an extremely high throughput resource bots generally suck at it compared to belts anyways. You pay a significant power tax if you deploy bots heavily in your production system.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bots aren't going against the spirit of Factorio because they cover a logistic need that belts and trains don't fulfill, but at the same time are inefficient and very expensive for moving large amounts of goods. They're a huge drain on power and are very expensive if you're using them to operate a mining outpost, they have a much smaller throughput than belts for a smelting facility unless you're employing thousands of them, and they're completely ineffective at long-distance transport. A fully outfitted factory is going to employ bots alongside belts and trains for maximum efficiency.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also is it dumb to just have an all-in-one walled mining site and train station blueprint that you can just drop on any deposit next to tracks, such that sometimes you'll have mining drills not build and other times you won't actually cover the entire deposit - vs. custom designing every site beyond the initial train station?

I'm on a factorissimo playthrough and it's my 3rd overall run through the game, and I have a dream of running out with a FARL train with an inventory full of parts, and plopping down 4 or 5 mining sites per trip with the absolute minimum amount of clicks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

zegermans posted:

Also is it dumb to just have an all-in-one walled mining site and train station blueprint that you can just drop on any deposit next to tracks, such that sometimes you'll have mining drills not build and other times you won't actually cover the entire deposit - vs. custom designing every site beyond the initial train station?

I'm on a factorissimo playthrough and it's my 3rd overall run through the game, and I have a dream of running out with a FARL train with an inventory full of parts, and plopping down 4 or 5 mining sites per trip with the absolute minimum amount of clicks.

I just use a mining tile and slap it down until it covers everything and then drop walled pillbox templates around the edges to defend it. I don't wall the whole thing.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just use a mining tile and slap it down until it covers everything and then drop walled pillbox templates around the edges to defend it. I don't wall the whole thing.

Ah that makes sense.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

A mining tile is the way to go, along with a station blueprint.

and either this one:

or this one:

Regarding bots: honestly, I'm using bots simply to avoid splitter balancing nonsense. They pick up ore from whichever station and place it in requester chests, providing fully saturated belts in a very easy way. Without them, all iron ore coming from any one of my 6 stations would have to be perfectly balanced to go to 5 rows of 80 smelters. That means building a 36-to-20 belt balancer and, boy, do I not know how to make one of those.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

What's the circuit condition you have set up on the mining site?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have an idea for a mod... is it possible to make bots move objects around? I was just thinking what if someone wanted to move a section of stuff say 10 tiles in a certain direction, would it be possible to create a 'MoveMePrint' that when you select an area, it transforms into a blueprint placement thing and the bots move the objects to the new location seamlessly even if overlapping?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Ambaire posted:

I have an idea for a mod... is it possible to make bots move objects around? I was just thinking what if someone wanted to move a section of stuff say 10 tiles in a certain direction, would it be possible to create a 'MoveMePrint' that when you select an area, it transforms into a blueprint placement thing and the bots move the objects to the new location seamlessly even if overlapping?

I would love that so much. As for an answer, I think I've seen construction robots place a blueprint they just picked up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I want to do that often enough that I'd be interested in such a mod, but if you're using bots you can already make a blueprint -> deconstruct it -> slap down the blueprint a few spaces over.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

zegermans posted:

What's the circuit condition you have set up on the mining site?

Standard load balancing so every chest (therefore, every wagon) gets filled evenly. Details here

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

zegermans posted:

I am a fan of absolute excessiveness. My current setup is a 22 car + four extra locomotive + beginning and end FARL that's a beast. Granted it's mostly full of concrete and wall, but four cars are filled with everything resource expeditions need.

I've got a small, medium, and large ore patch blueprint and a rectangular varrient. Each blue print has walls, turrets, roboports and storage chests and everything built in so I roll up to a patch, plop down the station blue print, pick a size and plop down the mine blue print. Then I link the station to the mine with some belt (I don't use bots for the ore transport, just the construction and upkeep), fill the storage chests with a train car or so worth of equipment, toss 50 construction bits in and drive off. Takes about 2 minutes a site.

I don't even wait to see if it gets built right anyway, the robots take care of it all. They repair the wall and replace the occasional turret that gets killed. I also don't worry about making sure I stock an exact count of anything, as I have a single car supply train that runs between all outposts sequentially. (Plus one that brings light oil for flame turret top offs)

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Guys I won the game!!!

My husband jokingly asked the other day if I'd play with him for a few days, thinking I wouldn't like the game. Joke's on him, I've been building and building on a single player save while he's been playing FF15 :3:

I decided to be dumb and go for the three "don't build X" achievements all at once on a fresh save after my first attempt at a base spaghetti'd out of control. This game is addictive.

Edit: I started a new game and I guess I'll have to make another one :stare:

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 7, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

BlueOccamy posted:

I decided to be dumb and go for the three "don't build X" achievements all at once on a fresh save after my first attempt at a base spaghetti'd out of control. This game is addictive.

It could be considered a bit cheaty, but it's actually not that hard to do all at once, given the right map settings. I did the same thing, plus got the sub-15 hour game and the sub-90 minute diesel locomotive achievements all on the same game.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

BlueOccamy posted:

Guys I won the game!!!

My husband jokingly asked the other day if I'd play with him for a few days, thinking I wouldn't like the game. Joke's on him, I've been building and building on a single player save while he's been playing FF15 :3:

Edit: I started a new game and I guess I'll have to make another one :stare:

I can't imagine a world without requester chests, bravo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have like 3 requester chests in my current game, all for alien artifacts. Everything else is belted, like satan intended

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The game's dirty little secret is everything not on the rocket critical path is technically a distraction if all you want to do is launch a rocket. Logistics networks and power armor and lasers and solar and trains, and poo poo even logistics 2/3 are all masturbation. Even modules can be take or leave depending how involved you expect to get making sure they are in the right place at the right time.

The thing about masturbation is that it feels good so chasing your tail, spinning in place, robbing Peter to pay Paul, setting up logistics and kitting yourself out in power armor is probably the better way to play.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
It would be kinda cool if Factorio had a disaster mode that could be turned on, giving you things like periodic sandstorms that put solar energy production at 5% peak, or some kind of prolonged biter migration that insists on traveling through your base. Maybe an ice storm that knocks down your power lines and temporarily freezes water pipes (although that one sounds super annoying).

It would change the way you build bases and require you to have backup power/defense systems, and you'd be incentivized to stockpile certain supplies.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hurricanes that prevent bots from flying, lightning strikes that blow up substations

I'd really like to see fire being a thing that can destroy the hell out of your factory (though something that is default off and specifically toggled on), so you need to run water pipes around for (a) your water gun (b) hydrants and later water turrets and (c) fire suppression bots. Then later you get suppressant foam for your water gun and bots. Fire would be based on how much power an area is drawing, so there's very little hazard to start, having 10 4-production assemblers would be a big hazard, and give Effectivity modules/beacons a new use.

E: I'm masochistic so I'd also like a mod that causes working machines to every-so-often take a point of damage, with higher chances for longer sustained run-times, and slowing down as they take damage. Mines would have to be exempt from this damage, even I'm not that crazy. (Probably just assemblers/chemplants/refineries now that I think about it, maybe inserters/smelters) Effectivity modules would help too.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 7, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm building a mining outpost when suddenly, a tornado/firestorm/Godzilla lays waste to my oil processing plant. Now, the situation is either handled automatically or it needs my direct intervention. If it's automated, then I have researched and constructed whatever safeguards/defenses needed and can keep building the outpost in peace. Disasters are never seen, they're just another red triangle in the bottom of the screen.

If it requires my intervention, I'll have to stop my current task and hop on the train. Like biter attacks, that's bound to become extremely annoying after X hours. Anyway, three minutes later I'm at the base and I'll wait for the tornado to pass/put out the fire/kill Godzilla (somehow), then select my "oil processing plant" blueprint and... I don't actually need it because bots have already reconstructed everything that's been destroyed. I hop back on the train, heading for the mining outpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Hey man, we aren't game developers, just spitballin some stupid ideas