Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sweeet! Have fun. I still haven't made it to Dovetail and am very disappointed with myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
you should be disappointed if you don't hang out with SUPER HASSLER

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'll be in an airbnb along S. Broad before/during New Year's :beerpal:

I live about an hour from the city but would be willing to drive in for a share.

my summer at fat camp posted:

I got a postcard from beer adventurer Super Hassler today! :haw:

Philly share soon.

I'll let you organize :cheeky:.

Seriously though I am in if we can get this organized, I have a decent collection of beers from my gambling habit and would be fun to meet some beer folks in person.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 6, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I can offer my house for a Philly bottle share. I'm located in scenic South Philly with easy access to I-95.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

everythingWasBees posted:

So I'm going to be in Washington State in a few weeks, a ferry ride away from Seattle. I'll be with my grandparents so breweries are a no go, but what might I find at a liquor store (or however Washington does beer) that I wouldn't in Maryland that'd be very much worth trying?

Look for Fremont Barrel Aged Abominable and Dark Star which are both released around this time. Probably the best BA winter ale and stout you'll find in the NW. Holy Mountain makes really great saisons and a few make it to stores. Reubens makes some good stuff, as does Black Raven. Where about will you be?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Chicago exploration tonight! It looks like that one area with Dovetail/Half Acre/etc will be my destination.

How long are you gonna be around again?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I can offer my house for a Philly bottle share. I'm located in scenic South Philly with easy access to I-95.

I'm in if this occurs when I'm not in MA

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Well this oughta be a pretty hyped release:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-de-garde-brewing-sante-adairius-rustic-ales-jester-king-brewery-elements-of-composition

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

OK, that's pretty crazy, I'm strongly considering using miles to go to Portland because drat that's just an awesome collaboration.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ah, collaborations!

quote:

The result is a beer distinct from, but not greater than, the sum of its parts

"You're better off drinking something from one of the breweries involved rather than this hodge-podge loving thing."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I never got to try JK/Off Color Radiolaralia :smithcloud:

I cellar raid all the loving time these days, opened a 2009 KBS the other day. Amazed at how the cacao nib flavor held up nicely considering I stick to spare closet cellaring! And I had to look hard for the bottle date...

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like people who cellar beers have 1000% more will than I do. No way I'd have kept that for 7 years.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I never got to try JK/Off Color Radiolaralia :smithcloud:

That beer was great.

#NotAllCollarborations

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

danbanana posted:

How long are you gonna be around again?

One more night tomorrow, sorry it's all on skool nights.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The line for Coffee and Cigarettes is stupid long.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

:beerpal:

OR NOT.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

SUPER HASSLER posted:

lol if you think alcoholism takes a break for work.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

The line for Coffee and Cigarettes is stupid long.

skipping this release, I'm not a huge coffee guy anyways. I'll probably continue my every other trend and attend the next one though.

JesusaurusRex
Oct 18, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

skipping this release, I'm not a huge coffee guy anyways. I'll probably continue my every other trend and attend the next one though.

To be honest, I'd rather they bottle Vastness of Space.

And I would be very down for Mo' Galaxy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Drank a Tired Hands Peach Double Milkshake tonight and had to dump out the last three ounces because it separated like whoa. It tasted pretty good but the last bit was sooo chunky. I only incidentally landed this one; definitely not gonna seek out Milkshakes in the future.

Also had their Hill Farmstead collab Intensely Juicy Dank Beautiful. That poo poo is the truth. TH's creamy pillowy apple puree/oats/flour/whatever mouthfeel with that kinda old school HF hop profile. Excellence.

Also also I cracked today's new Veil release, OK Guy. Double IPA, half Mosaic half Simcoe, brewed with apricots and peaches. I think it's the best fruited beer Veil's released yet. Acidity from the fruit balances the juicy-sweet aspects really well. It's a must-try, seriously.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dphi posted:

Look for Fremont Barrel Aged Abominable and Dark Star which are both released around this time. Probably the best BA winter ale and stout you'll find in the NW. Holy Mountain makes really great saisons and a few make it to stores. Reubens makes some good stuff, as does Black Raven. Where about will you be?

I'll be on the lookout. I'll be staying in Bremerton but we'll likrly do at least one trip into Seattle.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Dovetail was indeed great fun, they had a lovely lager and doppelbock and it was a nice, chill kind of place. They were hosting a couple different groups around the neighborhood so I got to talk to the brewer and the staff -- the lady behind the bar was a Munich native, is how lager-y this place is. This was followed up by altbier and a burrito at Half Acre for a very lager-y kind of evening. Begyle was, indeed, kind of eh.

The joint next door had Zombie Dust on tap too, hooray me!

Today, depending on how things go, I'm gonna try taking the dog to a couple joints (sounds like at least Dovetail/Emperical/a bottle joint called Bitter Pops allow 'em, within the local area). That or I might wanna do the Goose/Whole Foods/Local Option loop that I enjoyed a great deal the last time I was here, three years ago. Too many, uh, options!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

JesusaurusRex posted:

To be honest, I'd rather they bottle Vastness of Space.

And I would be very down for Mo' Galaxy

oh yeah, Vastness would be awesome, although I'm pretty sure that I've only tried the BA version, but that was amazing.

I was just thinking yesterday how I hope the next bottle is one of the Mo' lineup. I'm not too crazy about galaxy hops in general though so I'd rather have almost any of the others haha. I think the only one that has eluded me is Nelson

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Dovetail was indeed great fun, they had a lovely lager and doppelbock and it was a nice, chill kind of place. They were hosting a couple different groups around the neighborhood so I got to talk to the brewer and the staff -- the lady behind the bar was a Munich native, is how lager-y this place is. This was followed up by altbier and a burrito at Half Acre for a very lager-y kind of evening. Begyle was, indeed, kind of eh.

The joint next door had Zombie Dust on tap too, hooray me!

Today, depending on how things go, I'm gonna try taking the dog to a couple joints (sounds like at least Dovetail/Emperical/a bottle joint called Bitter Pops allow 'em, within the local area). That or I might wanna do the Goose/Whole Foods/Local Option loop that I enjoyed a great deal the last time I was here, three years ago. Too many, uh, options!

The Lincoln Park Binny's that's next to GI has a taproom now, too.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Serious note guys. I've known that I drink to much for a long time. I drink almost daily and too much. That being said I've started to experience some side effects of this in particular high blood pressure which can be cause by chronic drinking. In addition this has also caused weight gain. All in all this means 2 things. 1 I want you guys to be happy and healthy so make sure you get your poo poo checked out. 2 I'll be cutting back on my consumption of my much loved beverages :/

Be happy and healthy goons.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

sterster posted:

Serious note guys. I've known that I drink to much for a long time. I drink almost daily and too much. That being said I've started to experience some side effects of this in particular high blood pressure which can be cause by chronic drinking. In addition this has also caused weight gain. All in all this means 2 things. 1 I want you guys to be happy and healthy so make sure you get your poo poo checked out. 2 I'll be cutting back on my consumption of my much loved beverages :/

Be happy and healthy goons.

:hfive:

I cut back recently, too. It feels pretty good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I generally stick to weekends only these days and it's worked pretty well :beerpal:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Adding to this:

I'm the third healthy 30-something guy I know who has been diagnosed (visually by my physician, rather than the needle test) with gout in recent years. I went to the physician thinking it was a soccer-related stress injury. I'm about 10 pounds overweight for an American male of my height, but I get a good amount of exercise and eat pretty well (of all the purine-rich foods out there, if there was one I consumed in excess, it was probably spinach). Doc was like "Yeah, probably the beer."

It was all the motivation I needed to cut back, and gout prevention aside, agreed, it does feel pretty good. It hasn't really hindered my enjoyment of craft beer, or my social life. As for when I do drink: The science around gout & booze is still pretty cloudy, but there are theories out there that unfiltered beers might be worse than the alternatives, so if I'm out with friends for a period of time, I stick to pilsners and the like.

4 oz. pours at taprooms like mine are a godsend, too. :cool:

Oh, and I drink a ridiculous amount of water. Like 80-100 oz. a day or more.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm still young but I'm keeping my consumption relatively under control. Gotta make sure I'll be able to drink interesting things for as long as I can.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i rarely drink on weekdays because it makes getting anything done impossible

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm going to try and cut back to only weekends. My family has a bit of precondition for being drunkards. I was drinking on average almost every night. Weekdays was vodka tonics with 12-18oz of 35% abv. Weekends were usually beer. I was killing 22oz 13% abv bombers in addition to 32-64oz of 7-8% ipas. In addition to that I would go to lunch with co workers and drink 1 or 2 beers for lunch. Or we have a keg at work and would have one just because you finished writing that super sweet java class. I mean I am the definition of a god drat functioning alcoholic staying up till 12am, waking up at 7 to take the kids to school.

I think I'm just trying to deal with life and drinking was easy and legal. :/ Wish me luck and better health guys. Got to make sure the ol' ticker keeps ticking.

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Philly goons: Pinocchio's anniversary on Saturday.

Draft list:

Founders KBS
Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout
Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Firestone Walker Helldorado
Perennial Abraxas
Half Acre Double Daisy Cutter
2SP The Russian
Firestone Walker Parabola
Sole Rage Quit
Ayinger Kirtabier
Single Cut Billy 18-Watt IPA
Cascade Apricot Ale
Firestone Walker Agrestic
Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
Rodenbach Vintage 2014
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Supplication
Big Hill Farmhouse Cider
A special firkin of Sterling Pig Amarillo

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

air- posted:

I generally stick to weekends only these days and it's worked pretty well :beerpal:

I might do that but I forgot to buy non-beer and I'm getting tired of water

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

The only liquids I regularly drink besides beer are water, coconut water (Harmless Harvest is :allears: and it's the best morning after bottle share drink), Topo Chico. Occasional tea/bubble tea too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

Make shrubs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just about 2 years ago I remember feeling super bummed about not being able to try The Lily. De
Garde is releasing the 3rd batch at 3 per person this weekend. Meanwhile my grocery has cases of BA Ten Fidy and various Prairie stouts stacked all over each other. Beer in 2016 :beerpal:

e: AND they have The Archer. sheesh

air- fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 7, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/Brewkkake/status/806604834686337025

:beerpal:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

idgi

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Inferred competence at the job based on his region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

air- posted:

I started doing this close to two years ago, and really, it's worth it. Not only do you not constantly feel tired and generally lovely, I personally started enjoying the beers I was having more since I wasn't drinking as often.

Feels good, man.