Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'll toss my voice in the chorus of "hope you don't give up, but definitely take a break and come back refreshed". Definitely nice to see these games get LP'd by someone who loves them and is adding personality to the characters and fleshing out the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

And there's the consequences of an archive binge, you don't quite catch the rhythm of updates. Ah well!

In any case I've always been of the opinion that an LP should proceed at the pace of an author's motivation. If you need a break, take one rather than forcing things. We'll be here when you're ready.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
What I love is how electrum is actually a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum

I grew up thinking it was some kinda bs fantasy metal like Adamant, Orichalum, Mithril, etc. Imagine my surprise seeing it in a jewelry catalog one day.

Now, granted, in worlds with magic and where "gold" and "silver" are perfectly acceptable choices for weapons and armor, it having different properties isn't a stretch.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Update 043 – Woodsy Tower

Sorry about the image trimming in this update. I've been away for the past six weeks or so, and lost track of my process. At least I didn't lose anything this time! Everything should be back to normal next time.

“So, what's our current plan?”

“I'm thinking we go west, pick up any evidence that didn't get trampled over by the Giants and Troglos fighting, and circle our way back south, filling in our survey of the eastern side of the continent as we go.”

“You know what that means, right?”

“Please don't say it.”

“He's going to.”

“There's no stopping him.”

“ONWARD HORSIES!”

“Why?”

“Well, there is the roadway headed west-ish. And we did hug the mountains going south. I think we can get away with cutting across the forest.”

“I was honestly hoping it would go further than that.”

“Of course, we'll see what you have.”

Pass. Again.

“I don't suppose we could detour to visit the towns?”

“Nah. Wilderness exploration time!”

“This farmland has been badly destroyed.”

“Not badly enough.”

“Yeah, I think we can handle this now. Let's be sneaky!”

“You?”

“They saw us!”

:sigh:

Total stomp in my favor.

“Nothing here. Looks like this was just a farming outpost more than anything else.”

:barf: “Remind me why we're investigating swamps again?”

“That's why.”

“I don't think so. I mean, it's a reward for our complete investigation of everything, but it's not the goal.”

“And the swamps are inevitable given that we're on the lee-ward side of these mountains and hills, meaning rain collects here.”

“Wait. Leeward? You sure that's the right word?”

“If she's talking about the side of a geological feature that is facing away from the typical direction of wind, then yes, she is.”

“What are you all talking about?”

“Things that only make sense on the surface, it seems.”

“Regardless, it seems like we're around the mountain chain again. Time to go south.”

“Well, there is at least a town this way, the other end of that trading route. It would make a nice place to stop off while on the way back to collect the evidence we should have had the first time.”

“Bitch, bitch, moan, moan.”

“Now that we have the Orb, we can hop across this. Except we'll have to leave the horses behind.”

“Sorry, horsies.”

“Except there's nothing here. Well, I can think of worse uses for my precious.”

“I have to say, if it wasn't for the whole 'monsters everywhere', there would be plenty of room for Exile to expand without running into Empire troops.”

“Right up until their entire army hits us on what is effectively their home turf.”

“That would be a problem.”

“Oh, there is so much Joy to be had when ones enemies fight each other!”

“Oh, this isn't a good sign.”

“This Forest is Dark. And Shadowy. And the shadows are dark.”

“This isn't good.”

“No, it's not.”

“Especially since this place looks like it was meant to be approached from the North, not the south. We'll have to go around.”

“Let's try this again.”

“You're going to kill this guy, aren't you?”

“What if Chaldrath is female? Or something else?”

“I choose to use the gender non-specific masculine.”

“Oh, you're no fun.”

“And yes. I mean, this is obviously a trap. Might as well break it. It'll be a nice distraction!”

“YAY!”

“A distraction.”

“Given everything else, it qualifies.”

“Well, this is actually ... welcoming.”

“Not going to, thank you.”

“Hold on. Is this one of those idiots who thinks that by supplying resources to their intended victims that they are making things worse for them?”

“Maybe?”

“Only one way to check.”

:catholic: “Guess not.”

“If we were wounded, this would be useful.”

“Nice water!”

“And our energy is restored with this pool!”

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“That's her 'supreme power' laugh or her 'you dun goofed' laugh?”

“A mix of both, I think?”

“Fungus aren't hard at all!”

“No, they're squishy!”

“Really? Expecting us to reach him only if we're worthy? Now I'm starting to get insulted.”

“Especially when it looks like he's trying to make this easy.”

“And what's with those little side rooms?”

“I saw them on the south side as well. We should check them out.”

:catholic: “Lava just isn't the threat it used to be.”

“!!!”

“Great.”

“Killing!”

“Done!”

Note, Matthias just made level 30. Out of 50. And we're barely to the half-way point in the game.

“Huh.”

“I'll break one of those segments down.”

“Um... Hello?”

“ghaug...!”

Friendly mage here, but you can't talk to them.

“There's nothing we can do for him.”

“Now to do the west side.”

“Oh great.”

“Rakshasa? Here?!”

:science:

I hate these guys with a passion. And I don't have Demonslayer to deal real heavy damage to them. Taking these guys down is an exercise in patience.

“And controlling the access point, like good professionals.”

:science:

“What was that?”

“Anti-magic cloud.”

“...”

“Charge!”

“Charging!”

“Hah! I win!”

“Another Fungus.”

“Except ... friendly?”

“And time to go into the southern half of this tower.”

“I really wish we had Demonslayer at this point.”

“Don't worry, it's over already!”

Guardian is Webbed? Well, that will help me.

“Oh, remember when we were scared of these guys?”

“I don't.”

“Quickfire. How quaint.”

“WAIT! We forgot those out-buildings!”

:doh:

“I wonder what's in them?”

“On it.”

“I'll hold this for now.”

“My turn to carry things.”

Quick recharge...

“Hold on, I have an idea.”

“What is it?”

“This.”

“This will prevent the Quickfire from escaping to the north.”

“Oh, that's hilarious!”

“What's funny?”

“All the effort to create and contain the quickfire, stopped by plugging up its dispenser like that.”

“... No, not funny.”

“Like that!”

“Well done!”

“This would be a lot more intense if this maze was being filled with Quickfire.”

“Why aren't you on fire?”

:black101:

“Let's see what's here.”

Random Basilisk Count posted:

“Well, that was a bust. And so is this wall.”

“There's the exit!”

“But barred.”

“Well, that's nice. We either get to flee in terror, spreading word about this horror.”

“Or we stab a fool in the face repeatedly.”

“Oooh! I know! I know!”

“Yes?”

“STABBING!”

So, here's the gimmick:

There are random, invisible walls. To get to him, you have to wander in a 'z' pattern across the room.

“I can keep this up all day!”

“I don't think you'll have to.”

And Art hits level 40. Out of 50.

“What does this sign say?”

“That would be more menacing if I didn't have to lean over top the sign to read it. We're already behind it!”

“Good haul. We'll have to get back to town to get most of this checked out though.”

That rock has to be magical. It weighs 45 stones!

“Time to leave then.”

“I hope the horsies are safe.”

And so ends another 'One attempt at this!' dungeon. At least they're completely optional.

“And now to get back to our job.”

“We could investigate this island, or head back west to collect the evidence we forgot.”

“You forgot.”

“We.”

“I remembered the last one!”

“And if he can remember, then you owe it to him to collect.”

:smug:

“Ow. Right. Forgot.”

“Yes, a tedious trap thingy.”

“I'm totally going to use that in the next round of paperwork.”

“You know, I'm curious. Is that a trap for the unwary, or is there actually something back there?”

“Don't know. Don't care.”

“You know... we could check out the back entrances to the Giants and Troglodytes now.”

“You mean attack them from the direction they're expecting their mortal enemy to arrive from?”

“They'll never expect it!”

“Except we've seen everything to see with the Giants.”

“The Troglodytes, on the other hand...”

“Hey guys!”

I told you we'd be back!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 29, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yay it's back! Good to see you are less burnt out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:dance:

A long update, too!

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Oh, fun!

...so is the game as snarky about that Random Tower as Art's group were, or is it played seriously?

Also, welcome back!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Y'missed a [bronwyn] portrait on one of the talk lines.

And we missed you. :glomp:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good to have you back, berryjon.

I like where the level cap is in this game. Your characters can get enough skillpoints master one or two things, but they won't be able to do everything they want to do. Unless you farm for skillpoints, of course.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gullwhacker posted:

...so is the game as snarky about that Random Tower as Art's group were, or is it played seriously?

Played totally seriously. Art's snark is quite infectious. The rest of them snark to preserve their sanity.

dont be mean to me posted:

Y'missed a [bronwyn] portrait on one of the talk lines.
Fix'd

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like where the level cap is in this game. Your characters can get enough skillpoints master one or two things, but they won't be able to do everything they want to do. Unless you farm for skillpoints, of course.
Of course, I'm also showing *everything* off. For the same amount of time I've put into this game so far, another player might be 80% finished or more by now.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Welcome back!

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Great to see this come back! Have several things to point out/ask.

Woodsy Tower is an interesting beast, as many game guides say that it shouldn't be attempted until the party is at a high enough level, and I also seem to recall someone saying it was the hardest dungeon out of all of the optional dungeons except for the artifact dungeons, which are on a whole other level. I'm tempted to agree, due to the Haakai boss and Rakshasa. Do you agree with this sentiment, bj and thread, or do you guys think there's a harder non-artifact dungeon?

Also, I'm glad to see you go through the whole of the lower levels of Castle Troglo - I don't think I ever have during a playthrough, although I did take out the upper levels once. It'll be interesting to see what you encounter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a harder "dungeon" in the game; it's one of the abandoned towns. I won't get into why, because that'd be spoilers, but I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have lost all sense of 'hard' in dungeons by this point. I'm over-leveled, and under-geared for everything save the end-game at this point. And all sense of difficulty sets tossed out the window when you can Curse All/Bless Party/Slow Group/Haste Party your way to victory.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know if I'd call it THE hardest optional area, but the Woodsy Tower is definitely harder than anything we've encountered this far and also nastier than you'd expect based on the surrounding area.

If you've played any of the later Spidweb games, you might have noted that he often likes to have little challenge areas which are a little bit "out of depth" so to speak that you're really intended to leave and come back later. I think the Woodsy Tower is basically a proto-version of this thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's plenty of harder stuff than Woodsy Tower, but as berryjon says you get so many tools in the lategame that it becomes rare to lose a fight unless you run out of spell points.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

And the Tower hands you a free refill of HP/SP at any time before the Quickfire (hah) maze in the lower-left of the map. It's not hard.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

the Quickfire (hah) maze in the lower-left of the map

I genuinely laughed out loud at the "solution" to that scenario.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Random thought: can webs block quickfire?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

From years-old recollection, I want to say it's only fire and force barriers, but don't hold me to that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are fire barriers supposed to help you in controlling your own Quickfire (because I don't doubt you'll get the spell at some point)?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

Are fire barriers supposed to help you in controlling your own Quickfire (because I don't doubt you'll get the spell at some point)?

Fire Barriers block Line of Sight and the pathfinding for NPCs and the enemy tend to go around them rather than through them. They can build choke points that you can actively move through that the enemy will not. Be careful though, as since Exile 2, there have been enemies that can dispel Barriers by trying to move into them, mostly the higher powered ones.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I had lost track of the thread back in March and then rushed through to catch up everything, but I did want to say that it's still fantastic and I still want to know how it all ends more than ever. This is the Exile I am least familiar with past some demo fiddling, so it's all even newer to me.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'll echo the various sentiments saying it's good to see you back berryjon, but I'll add that I registered an account just to follow this LP.

I started reading LPs years ago with Nakar's Ultima LPs on the LP Archives, and recently stumbled across the Exile 1/2 ones there. I figured it was about time to get an account and finally follow one while it was ongoing.

Given that I only saw Exile played back in the 90's (at a friend's house,) I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ends. Even if the interface is basic (and so blatantly 90's,) it definitely feels like some care was taken with the story.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

etmoonshade posted:

Even if the interface is basic (and so blatantly 90's,) it definitely feels like some care was taken with the story.
This game has enough story in it, not to mention the two previous ones, to make the whole of the Elder Scrolls series look like a dime-store trash novel, and I totally stand by those words. :colbert:

I am also making an executive decision. Once I catch up with my backlog of material (about 2-3 updates worth), I will not put the next action up to a vote. I'm pushing against some serious plot, and I need to locate and talk to the dragons before I can advance more.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

berryjon posted:

I am also making an executive decision. Once I catch up with my backlog of material (about 2-3 updates worth), I will not put the next action up to a vote. I'm pushing against some serious plot, and I need to locate and talk to the dragons before I can advance more.

Sounds good to me. I'd rather see you able to push the story along than have to delay a bunch. We've had lots of opportunity to interact with the LP, so don't worry about the occasional non-interactive segment. We're past the point where I remember how the story goes, so I'm looking forward to finding out how it all works out!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 044 – Under Troglo (2) and Castle Troglo (2)

Told you we'd be back! Images are still a little skewed, but that's something I can't really fix at this point.

"We're back!"

"Turn back, human!"

"No! They come from the tunnel of the Great Enemy! They must be allied!”

“Yes! You are correct! Kill them!”

“Huh, they actually talked it out before attacking.”

I'm a good dozen levels over where I was when I came through here the first time. Everything is a roadbump at this point. I'm just here to examine the part I missed last time then go through the Castle to properly loot explore it.

“So, where were we?”

“I think we missed the south-western corner of the caverns.”

“And we didn't get to tour the castle at all!”

“Doesn't look like much, really.”

“It still behooves us to be thorough.”

“Hello! Independent inspectors for the safety of evil altars, artifacts and general stupidity!”

:lol:

Antimagic Cloud neuters so many early to late game enemies it's not even funny. Probably one of the reasons why Vogel has constantly toned down the power of mages over the course of his games.

“Let's see here...”

“OH NO YOU DON'T!” :catholic:

There is no reward for Sanctifying this altar that I can find. That's alright.

“Well, with that out of the way, shall we head upstairs?”

“I agree.”

“Well, this is all new. Let's see, the throne room was in the sou'east, and we're in the sou'west.”

“Circle around?”

“Sure!”

“Huh. Random place for a skeleton.” :black101:

Heh. Check out the activity log. The Shaman tried to summon up more creatures, but we're already at the monster limit for the town so only one showed up.

“Performance issues?”

“Really?”

“A bent haft is no laughing matter!”

“I'm confused.”

“Don't think about it. Really. Please. For all our sakes.”

“Hey, what are you guys doing?”

“Watching you beat up the enemies.”

“Well, that's nice.”

“HAHA. NO.”

And if you do?

“Probably a ceremonial pool.”

“Nothing good in here. Nothing much at all.”

“They're probably all in use anyways.”

“And south wards we go... looks like we're almost up against the outer walls.”

“Palisades?”

“Probably.”

“Oh, that's not a good sign.”

“I hear something next room down.”

“Hello?”

“DIE!”

“And that's enough out of you.”

“Not as awesome as the horses.”

“No, but the worgs are about the right scale for the Troglodytes.”

“We could kill them anyways....”

“No!”

“Then we won't.”

]

“What sort of testing, I wonder?”

“Probably not algebra.”

“Great. Hazing.”

“Well, we had to get tested too before coming up here.”

“Still, starting with a knife? Ritual maybe?”

“Or a weapon against the lizard.”

“And then they beat up on each other.”

“Boring.”

“Agreed.”

“I don't think there's much in these rooms.”

“No, but they are in the back corner.”

“What's that in the very edge of the map?”

“... I don't know.”

“At least they grow crops in a secure location.”

There's an article that I read last year that came from a person who considered how many games have what is necessary for the player, and not much else and how that can break the suspension of disbelief. He cited two of the Fallout games for how this can go wrong by pointing out that in one of them, the cities and NPC's just sorta existed, but in another one, the towns had farms, gardens, roads, and things made sense. You could step back and actually see people living in those conditions.

It's something that Vogel does right in all his games. From the presence of bathrooms and trash heaps, to this, a garden/farm in the back of the castle to help feed the occupants, he creates worlds that feel like they are living, rather than existing. And it's brilliant!

“Why is there a gate back there?”

Probably a mis-click on the map editor. I know I've done it a few times in Blades of Exile.

“If I had to guess... launched there via catapult.”

“Wouldn't a trebuchet be a better choice?”

“Eh.... Maybe.”

“Vague and general statues...”

“Probably important figures.”

“Who? By their own admission, they have no culture. No past.”

“Empty barracks. Think they all went to fight the giants?”

“Sounds about right.”

“Yeah, this is pretty quiet.”

“Yeah, this is getting creepy.”

“Never mind!”

“Not much of this food is edible for us.”

“Cells near the kitchens... Ugh.”

“DIE MONSTERS!”

“Wait! We are friends!”

“What? No, it cannot be! You are a trick! Die!”

“Don't feel bad. Madness took them in this place.”

“I only weep for the life unlived.”

“Well, you can take out some frustrations on these armorers.”

“And these trainees?”

“Who let the worgs out?”

“Don't get too far ahead! We're being stretched out here!”

“Well, the throne room is just the next door over. So why not?”

“Aaart!”

“Oh, fine.”

“COME ON THEN! Nothing will protect you! Not arms, or armor!”

“Is it just me, or is she being a little aggressive lately?”

“Don't care.”

“Peace.”

“Really? You're going to try and pull that on me?”

“Actually, yes.”

“Why?”

“Your rampage is to my design. You are known, Art of Exile. The path of your life is known to those whom you do not know, and they can describe the arc of your star. You, who will be the ancestor to many more.”

“...”

“I knew you would return. Our creators, those who brought us back from nothingness? They warned us that you were this great and terrible thing, to be held in awe and worshipped. We do not. But I saw a chance when you came to my gates with the message I demanded of the humans. I saw what in you made our creators ... jealous.”

“So I sent all my loyal warriors to battle the Great Foe. All that was left were the Shamans, the Khazi, and those fools loyal to them. And you returned, death and desolation in your wake. As was promised. And me. For I wished to see your work first hand, even if it meant I may die. I will raise no weapon against you, Art of Exile. I have no need to.”

“That's it?”

“I only wish two things now. The first is to see the Great Enemy destroyed. The second is to live long enough to see the horror on my creators' faces when you come for them. They know what you are capable of, those beings of light.”

“But they do not understand. And all who come after you? They will.”

This NPC is locked to being friendly. You can attack him, but it counts as attacking an innocent. So I had him give a speech instead.

“What do you suppose he means by that?”

“Nothing polite, I am assured.”

“Still, he is enjoying the change in the balance of power.”

“...”

“You want to say something?”

“I don't think she wants to.”

“No, just thinking. If what he said was true, then of our potential suspects, who would think of me, describe me in those terms? Erika? I can see that. The Dragons? I've slain one of their number, no small feat. The Vahnatai? They practically worship the ground I walk on for what I did in the war.”

“There is no easy answer, is it?”

“No. Nor is there one I want more than any of the others.”

“Stairs back down.”

“There is nothing for us here.”

“Agreed.”

“Another place for the honoured dead?'

“But it's empty!”

“No, there's something here.”

Lava only triggers when you move onto it. I can cast Firewalk before moving, and all will be well.

“Ah! Treasure room.”

“Are you sure we should loot this place? I mean, the king is still alive.”

“I would be more concerned with the demons.”

“I'm not. Let's see what we can loot.”

“And a whole bunch of junk.”

See what I mean about a place to live, not to be?

“Probably empty.”

“Totally!”

“That's it for this place. Let's head back out through the tunnels to where our horses are.”

“Yay!”

“Never to return.”

“You know, I think we should head south-ish. See where this connects to the places we know.”

“And maybe find those towns people talked about?”

“Might as well. There might be something interesting in them.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Well. That was...quite the speech. Interesting, on Vogel's part, that that NPC is always 'friendly'.

What does that mean? Not sure. Could be intentional. Could be a bug. But you used it well.

And oh, oh so many might describe Art in such glowing terms. But the party missed one.

These plagues have clearly been wrought by the GIFTS in the name of Friend-To-Spider! We must burn them all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 045 – Lennus and Squiggus

“Riding Horses time!”

“But first, we camp.”

“Much better.”

“Heading south then?”

“Until we reach familiar territory, I think.”

“Yeah, but who knows how far out that will be?”

“Or there could be a small channel keeping that Island from us.”

“I think it's a river.”

“You sure?”

“Yes!”

“Doesn't matter, using my precious!”

:barf:

“At least he did that over the river.”

“I can heal him! My turn!” :catholic:

“Thanks. Your studies are coming along well.”

“We should head south, as we'll see if this is a channel or not that way.”

“Good enough for me.”

“I WAS RIGHT!”

“pft.”

“We should be able to squeeze through here.”

There is a river that divides the north and south sections of this vast and desolate region, and the only way to walk past it is through this 'totally under a waterfall honest!' passage. You can also take horses through here, thankfully.

Also, looking at this screenshot, I really need to find a place to try out that Wand of Unusual Results....

“Yay! Horses back!”

“At least we don't have to worry about Sass' complaints about leaving them behind, or needing to circle all the way around to get them.”

“But that is the ocean.”

“That's the word for 'big lake', right?”

“Close enough.”

“Agriculture to the south east.”

“And a road. I think we're close to those towns.”

“These might be useful.”

“Take some, but not a lot, then we follow the road.”

“And here we are.”

“I wonder what sort of reception we'll get.”

“A nice one!”

“As long as we don't, you know, try to hide our approach.”

“Yeah, I can see cobwebs through the cracks. This place is abandoned.”

“You sure about that?”

“What? Maybe they lost their keys, or this could be someone who is interested in their privacy, but never came back?”

“Door's unlocked.”

“ouch!”

“Why are we here again?”

“To talk to this guy, of course!”

You meet a dark, hunched over, slightly deranged looking man. He holds a hammer in one hand, and a pair of tongs in the other. “I'm Carmine. This better be good!”

“Art, Unspecified Services. Exile.”

He snarls. “I bet you come to purchase weapons, huh?”

“Well forget it! I don't make stuff much anymore! I'm just too good. My skills are wasted!”

“No skill is ever wasted!”

“Oh, I can see a little bit of healthy pride is alien to you! Well, I stay out here and plan, and I'm proud of it!”

“What are you planning?”

“I plan the truly great weapon I'm going to make. The problem is, I need truly great material. You got any quality metal?”

“No.”

“Well, at least you're honest about it. I long for a challenge. I'm desperate for it. If you ever find a piece of truly unusual, exceptional metal, bring it to me. I'll make a sword for you, a truly great sword! I ask only 1000 gold for the labor.”

What Carmine is asking for is the same metal that got us attacked way back in update 21, north of the Inn of Blades. There are three pieces of that metal in the game that I know of, and two uses for them. There might be a third use, but I don't know at this time. Well, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

“Why is there a line under the second B?”

Why is it even underlined at all? I don't remember seeing any previous signs having underlines like that, though italics have been used. It could just be a random editing mistake. Not the first, not the last.

“Afternoon.”

You meet an aging woman with curly hair and a winning smile. “I'm Laverne. How are ya'?”

“Well, thank you. You are a guest here?”

“Oh, no! I run this little boarding house here, for people in town for a bit.”

“No words to diminish your business sense, but this town is very much isolated.”

“Well, there's been a downturn lately due to all the problems, but I hear things are getting better! You can have a room for the night for only 5 gold. Though most of our visitors are the odd types who want to see Carmine.”

“Yes, we've already talked to Carmine.”

“He's a blacksmith, but bit of a touchy fella'. His doors are locked, but the people who come to see him all swear high and low he's the best! Go fig.”

And that is literally everything to this town. One Inn, and one special event that we can't finish off for a long while yet.

“That can't be the place. There was no one to deal with the trade route.”

“More horse riding then!”

“I think this is the eastern edge of the continent. Again.”

“Massive forest to the south though. I'd almost call it primordial.”

“Hold on...”

“Hello the camp!”

“...” :ssj:

“We just got suckered, didn't we?”

“Yes.”

“On the bright side, we get to kill Gremlins!”

“YAY!”

“And Gorgons too.”

“Only way to go is forward.”

“Even I know this is a trap.”

“Might as well set it off.”

“You really enjoy this, don't you?”

“What? Killing Gremlins? What's not to appreciate?”

“Well for starters, there are quite a lot of them.”

I think Art still has the Helm of Alertness, which makes her sleep proof. Handy!

“Waiting for something else to happen?”

“Not really. I mean, aside from the monsters, this is actually a nice forest.”

“Good views too.”

I'm cutting out fights with Gorgons and Gremlins. We've seen them before, and they're not really interesting.

“Looks like our way out here.”

“And stay out!”

“HA!”

“Well, that was entertaining. And gems acquired.”

“I'll hold onto those until they are appraised, thank you.”

“Well, that's nice, because here's the other town we were told to expect up here.”

“Why no sailing up the coast?”

“We could ask?”

“Afternoon. Welcome to Squiggus. Keep your weapons sheathed please.”

“Understood.”

“Moo.”

“Moo!”

“Hello there! You lack a sign outside.”

A mage sits behind the counter, polishing a dark crystal. “I am Voltok. I collect and prepare crystals. It's an ideal place for it.”

“Just crystals?”

“Crystals and herbs – the main products out here. You can get herbs next door. You can purchase crystals here.”

“You know these are only worthwhile for the Mind Duel spell, right?”

:colbert: “This region is unspoiled. All the stone collectors haven't been all over here yet. The only real problem is the Gremlins.”

“Oh, do tell us about the Gremlins.”

“There are plenty of spooky creatures out there. The worst are the gremlins. Fortunately, we can deal with them. We leave them milk and cookies in one of our buildings, and they eat them and leave us alone.”

“Are you sure that will keep working?”

He looks nervous. “Just don't ask too much about it. And don't poke around too much. You aren't from around here. Just leave things be.”

“Too late for that.”

“Ah, here we go!”

“Hello there.”

This woman has soft clothes, soft hands and a piercing, calculating gaze. She was doing a bit of accounting, but when you approach, she sets down her pen. “I'm Shirley. I am the town merchant, looking after trade in the area. And you must be the rumoured adventurers.” Her calm, implacable, businesslike demeanour is somewhat intimidating after so many weeks out in the wild.

The timeline for this game is a little wonky at times. The game actually says 'months' here, but that clearly can't be the case. Even though I'm well ahead of the curve in terms of time, the 'official' count has the events of the game take place over approximately 270 days. Yes, there are wide stretches of wilderness, but there are also plenty of towns and cities dotting them. Calling the time spent 'months' isn't doing anyone any favours.

“Being a merchant out here must be tough.”

“Why. Yes. Totally. Trading up and down this coast has been increasing at a highly profitable rate. Are you interested in making some money?”

“I've talked with your counterpart down south. He already gave us the spiel. We're not interested as we have more important things to do.”

“Ah, yes. I can understand that. You make things safer for other couriers. Thank you for addressing that undead problem.”

“It was no problem at all.”

“No one wants to talk to me.” :(

“It would be nice to get real food instead of depending on Art's Manna spell.”

“Odd, I can see the sign, but I can't seem to get into this building. And that wind is really picking up.”

Something that doesn't really come up all that often, but the plain grass tiles are actually affected by a randomizer to add little bits of detail to them, to break things up. Here is a different picture I took after poking at this building for a while:

If any of you know how to get in there, please tell me.

“So, we're leaving before telling them we did harm to their Gremlin problem?”

“Seems that way.”

“Ice slimes?”

“Worth investigating.”

“Assuming we even find their source.”

“You know, I think these islands are the ones to the east of the undead tower.”

“We should fly over and check them out!”

“I LIKE how you think!”

“Except there's nowhere to land on this side of the island.”

“We should look around some more then.”

“We have no reason to visit this tower again.”

“Still no access.”

“There are shallows here.”

“I can't tell.”

“I can. I'll lead the way.”

These islands are deliberately obtuse to get to. You can't fly to them, there are no boats. The only way is to stumble on this secret path over the water. And stumble I did.

:barf: “Ugh. There's something on this island that doesn't agree with me.”

“Careful! We have to move along this sandbar.”

“Then around the edge of this cliff...”

“And here we are!”

:barf: “I think it's the pollen...”

“Sure. We came out all this way. We'll have a look.”

Behold. The hardest to reach Alchemy Shop in Valorim. This ingredient is used for the single most powerful and useful potion in the game. Even more than the Graymold Salve, or the Medium Energy Potion. I'll have to come back later when I'm ready to exploit it.

“And back to the mainland!”

“And this is the path back down to Libras.”

“So, want to go back to the random shop there and see what he's come up with this?”

“Sure. It'll probably be junk. You never know.”

... I think the Random Number God loves me. GIANT GAUNTLETS, MAGIC PLATE, MITHRAL CHAIN, MAGIC BREASTPLATE and an EMERALD HELM.

More damage for Sass!

Poison may not be useful, but the defence is respectable.

“I would like to check out this region behind the Nephil Valley, if you don't mind.”

“Not at all. Away, my precious!”

“Hello?”

“Mining!”

“We have no more room to carry anything.”

Seriously, you can get all the money you want here as long as you can carry it out.

“Yeah, let's get back to Lorelei, drop this stuff off, and do the next thing.”

“Report to Anaximander?”

“Hell no. Find the Dragons.”

I also went through and identified all the stuff we've picked up, to see if there was anything interesting in the loot. Here's what I got:

Honestly, cold isn't a problem. All the high end damage spells are either Fire or Energy type.

Useful, but I don't intend to die ever.

No idea where I picked this up. But the damage isn't good, and the spell is already outclassed.

Why use when I can cast Major Blessing again?

Oh right, picked those up. Should sell them off in Libras the next time I roll the Random Store Random Number Generator.

Don't drink. The EXP loss isn't worth it.

Oooh! Keep this. I don't know who would use it, but it's still a good shield.

I mentioned that stone had to be special due to its weight, and I was right. It can cast Flame 9 times, and I sold it right off with no guilt.

Damned useful. Whoever gets this isn't taking it off, ever.

“Time to find the dragons!”

“Which direction do we go.... North or West?”

“I don't know...”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

Why is it even underlined at all? I don't remember seeing any previous signs having underlines like that, though italics have been used. It could just be a random editing mistake. Not the first, not the last.

& is probably a special character that causes the next word to be underlined in whatever language Exile 3 was written in. It was most likely intended to be a B&B. :eng101:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The presence or absence of realistically livable spaces in games is sort of interesting since it's not entirely related to genre, game type, size of the world, or previous games by the developers. You get something like Vogel's stuff which are big sprawling worlds with these small details added in and you have games of various genres that do it with level by level spaces, like the first three Thief games with their bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms, etc or something like the camp in Psychonauts with cabins, outhouses, and a cafeteria.

Then you have something like Fallout 3, a sprawling 3d world with no farms, which fills places with people who all apparently have survived in one city for centuries while competing for food with all manner of other people and animals, but haven't cleaned out the food from grocery stores and subway terminal vending machines with see-though cases. And that was made by Bethesda only a few years after Oblivion, which had a sprawling 3d world with lots of housing and food sources.

berryjon posted:

Well, you can take out some frustrations on this armorers.

berryjon posted:

On this side of the river, I admit.

I plan the truely great weapon I'm going to make. The problem is, I need truely great material. You got any quality metal?....If you ever find a piece of truly unusual, exceptional metal

“Hello there! You lack a sign outside.”

but the plan grass tiles are actually affected by a randomizer

So, want to go back to the random shop there and see what he's come up with this?

Wasn't sure what was being admitted to, since there was a "is it a river" argument, not one that hinged on one side of it or the other. Did you mean "On this side is a river" and then followed up by the ocean bit?
Since "truly" gets spelled both incorrectly twice in one line and correctly twice in the next, thought I'd mention it, even if it's probably from the game.
The cow pic got used twice.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

Since "truly" gets spelled both incorrectly twice in one line and correctly twice in the next, thought I'd mention it, even if it's probably from the game.

You dirty colonial, who can't spell Truly properly! ;)

Everything else is fixed, and Ni'aurrl's line is changed to:

“At least we don't have to worry about Sass' complaints about leaving them behind, or needing to circle all the way around to get them.”

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

berryjon posted:

If any of you know how to get in there, please tell me.
The guards will move if something hostile pops up. I think you can attack one of your own summons without the guards turning on you and that will be enough to get them moving about town.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That sounds like a perfect use for sticks to snakes. Perfectly deniable.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

& is probably a special character that causes the next word to be underlined in whatever language Exile 3 was written in. It was most likely intended to be a B&B. :eng101:

That's a common shortcut in Windows frameworks of the era, maybe even still. In a menu it would be a shortcut key and thus underlined. Not as applicable in a dialog box, but that's frameworks for you. It was probably fine in the Mac version and got mangled in the port to PC.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I just realized who the Plague Masters are, and feel very dumb for not noticing something that should have been obvious as soon as the first actual clue was given. Now I can't help but wonder how Art is going to respond: angry at being used and betrayed, or just depressed by the whole shebang.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

SIGSEGV posted:

That sounds like a perfect use for sticks to snakes. Perfectly deniable.
I -think- that's just what the townie described and just has some gremlins in there and nothing else of note. Just a FYI for berryjon, if I'm remembering right you won't find anything really cool there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

if I'm remembering right you won't find anything really cool there.

Are you telling me that killing Gremlins isn't worth my time? Oh well, I'll get around to it. Eventually. Maybe."

thetruegentleman posted:

I just realized who the Plague Masters are, and feel very dumb for not noticing something that should have been obvious as soon as the first actual clue was given. Now I can't help but wonder how Art is going to respond: angry at being used and betrayed, or just depressed by the whole shebang.

:ssh: No spoilers for the rest of the class. ;)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Best time for killing gremlins is after you've gotten paralyze magic, one of the top tier weapons, and a character with the weapon stat and maxed Assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's something I've been wondering about for a while - why aren't you taking any of the alchemy herbs? Do they decay when they're in your inventory?

• Locked thread