Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Syves posted:

Whoever it was (back when Vive was new-ish)saying you work up a sweat playing Space Pirate Trainer... you were right. SO right. Was playing in just jeans and a t-shirt when I started but I had to go change into gym clothes after a while. Shield and a shotgun seems to be my thing. Tried the railgun, and I just am not familiar with the gun-feel yet to be able to aim quick enough to make shots count.

Was the first game I tried after UPS dropped off my controls, and I forced myself to try some of the other games. But I kept going back.

Hoverjunkers is 10x more exercise than SPT. You actually have to crouch like it's an old western. Some people even go hardcore and will lay down and roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can totally do that in SPT, though, and I do because its more fun

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One annoying thing about using SteamVR is that while the menu button brings up the steam menu in SteamVR, it doesn't do anything in any games it seems.

Edit: Actually I think it's from when I disabled it because it was messing me up in some controller game. I'll have to mess around with it.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Just spent 45 mins with Kingspray Graffiti since it's now out on Steam. What a cool game. It'll come to no surprise, but it's leaps and bounds better than Vive Spray.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Been playing VR games all night and finally started to get queasy with... Google Earth. That'll be it for me, but what a fun evening.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Rec Room's Dodgeball is even more fun that I thought it was going to be. I've never laughed so hard in VR before. 3 vs 3 with everyone doing voice chat and gestures at you, and the Dodgeball mechanics work flawlessly. They should add teleporting to real life Dodgeball.

VR GOTY

Edit: Oh, also, I bought a bunch of these $13 Monoprice 15ft USB 3.0 Active Extenders: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9470

They work flawlessly on both the cameras and the headset, as far as I can tell. However, you can't keep daisy chaining them, you can only seem to use one per peripheral before the PC doesn't detect them.

Edit 2: I need further testing, they might be able to daisy chain actually. The one thing that really didn't like being extended was the Rift's HDMI cable, I was using a small female-female dongle and I had to go through 5 different HDMI cables to find the only brand that didn't artifact or fail outright (Twisted Veins, a free 10ft cable that came with a wall mount, was the best one).

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 7, 2016

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My wife & I have punched the poo poo out of a bunch of stuff in our computer room so far but this is awesome.

Similarly, I've gone back to SPT maybe 6 times tonight in between other games, it's great.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bullfrog posted:

Zombies. Some fast, some slow. That's all I've seen, at least. The models are relatively varied (not l4d quality, though).

Some have armor that makes them invulnerable in certain locations.

Syves posted:

Whoever it was (back when Vive was new-ish)saying you work up a sweat playing Space Pirate Trainer... you were right. SO right. Was playing in just jeans and a t-shirt when I started but I had to go change into gym clothes after a while. Shield and a shotgun seems to be my thing. Tried the railgun, and I just am not familiar with the gun-feel yet to be able to aim quick enough to make shots count.

Was the first game I tried after UPS dropped off my controls, and I forced myself to try some of the other games. But I kept going back.

If you ever want a serious VR workout, get holopoint.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kingspray is now available on Steam.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Anyone else have an old i7 3770? That's the only part of my system that doesnt meet the min spec, hoping I can squeeze by.
My PC is as follows and it runs my vive absolutely fine: i5 3570k (overclocked to 4.1ghz), 16gb DDR3 ram (only just got another 8gb, and it was doing fine with just 8 before), and a GTX 970. I don't know why the minimum specs for VR seem to be so high when it seems the price of admission for specs isn't nearly as so.

I've been having alot of fun in H3VR fighting the robots in the arena map. Covering myself in weapons and just going at the fuckers.

On the subject of H3VR, Anton Hand, the developer is doing an advent calender for the game in which you will basically get a new gun every day. So far there's a Browning SHP, MP9, Galil SAR, shorty 870, CZ75 and an M16a1.

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Falken posted:

My PC is as follows and it runs my vive absolutely fine: i5 3570k (overclocked to 4.1ghz), 16gb DDR3 ram (only just got another 8gb, and it was doing fine with just 8 before), and a GTX 970. I don't know why the minimum specs for VR seem to be so high when it seems the price of admission for specs isn't nearly as so.

Same, but an R290x (which I desperately want to replace because I think its like 20% of my power bill). Despite the ever-present warning from Oculus I've never actually seen any poor performance.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hoverjunkers is 10x more exercise than SPT. You actually have to crouch like it's an old western. Some people even go hardcore and will lay down and roll.
Is there still a playerbase for Hoverjunkers? Seemed that although it was a neat concept, a lot of people found the controls pretty awkward. Have they been releasing updates?

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Dead and buried is really good.

Add me on oculus and steam if you want to try some coop stuff. Username: floorislava
Might be worth chucking your info in the new PGS thread.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Thor-Stryker posted:

My current 'excercise VR' game would be Swordmaster VR. It's a pretty fun game that really forces the player to move around alot, and just gets crazy when you fight against more than one opponent. Then you're basically running back and forth to quickly swing and block, focus on another opponent while still keeping an eye on the others. It's pretty fun and also high on my pick-up-and-play game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPk5XtV10w

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone feel like xortex is harder with the rift than the vive? I think its the fov. On the other hand, the sight seeing thing in the lab looks worse on the rift to me, presumably because the textures are meant for a lower res display

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Touch is great but you 1000% need a third camera to improve camera/headset occlusion to a point where it doesn't regularly impact immersion.

I could probably spread my two cameras further apart, but there's still a dead zone & noticeable hmd drift in places.

It's OK, works fantastic otherwise & didn't expect perfect roomscale OOTB

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Dead and buried is really good.

yeah just did a couple of rounds of quickdraw and it's really cool. Took a few tries to get used to the draw mechanic, but it was real fun after I got the hang of it.

That football thing was surprisingly fun, definitely know a few people that'll like it.

Superhot is as amazing as I expected.

Couldn't get Robot Repair to work, unfortunately, the headset cable isn't long enough to reach the drawers and you can't teleport in that one :negative:

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

SPT has me not just crouching but getting down on the floor and crawling underneath incoming shots several times per minute. That kind of stuff starts being required after just like wave seven or something. It might be because I'm not generally using the shield but that's just the most fun way I've found to play it so far. Dodging bullets and countering with precision charge shots. Lots and lots of movement all the time.
So I'm not sure if what you described is enough to make me believe Hoverjunkers is somehow significantly more of a workout. Getting down on the floor is not hardcore so much as it's more or less required at some point...

Regardless, SPT is basically the best thing ever. Can also second that Climbey is a lot of fun as well. And if Eleven: Table Tennis VR has Touch support then any new Touch-owners will definitely want to check that out too.

Meanwhile I really oughta see if I can grab Revive and take a stab at that train shootout demo...

Is there any Touch game that does swordplay included in the launch lineup? I'm still waiting for a game to make swords feel really good and I haven't found anything like that for Vive yet. Started working on something of my own now just to try to satisfy my craving for good VR swords.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Falken posted:

I've been having alot of fun in H3VR fighting the robots in the arena map. Covering myself in weapons and just going at the fuckers.

On the subject of H3VR, Anton Hand, the developer is doing an advent calender for the game in which you will basically get a new gun every day. So far there's a Browning SHP, MP9, Galil SAR, shorty 870, CZ75 and an M16a1.

VR takes a bit more grunt to run than a standard monitor. Also fluctuating frame rates in non VR don't make people motion sick.

Right now most VR stuff isn't graphically all that impressive which helps.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Goddamn The Lab's Archery is good. Talk about nailing the (relative) feeling of a bow and arrow.

I'd suggest trying the QuiVR demo. I just tried it last night and they really nail also the archery castle defense. Also also a lot of fun multiplayer. And also Holopoint is great but exhausting.

Of course those games are 360 so probably won't work for standing Rift.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Been going crazy with my vive tracking. I have my lighthouses set up to happily cover my entire play area, but there is two spots that aren't even super close to them that have huge tracking issues with the controllers.

I even took all my framed pictures off the wall to see if the issue was reflections, but no dice. gently caress this is annoying.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is there a way to get google earth to work with oculus? Keeps kicking me back in steam.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Is there a way to get google earth to work with oculus? Keeps kicking me back in steam.

https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive

easy peasy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Managed to make this monstrosity in about 20 minutes of fumbling around.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

rift + $100 amazon gift card for $600.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B01MRU7AOR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481122836&sr=8-1&keywords=oculus&th=1

Sorry, can't buy because the 1 star review. :rolleyes:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kingspray is really great, tons of polish. Some of the Oculus money appears to have gone to licensing actual music for the boombox, a la GTA. The dadrock station plays Black Sabbath and whatnot. Only big negative for me is the lack of hand switching, it's really hard to believe VR games can make it to release without someone going 'maybe we should have a lefty try this'. I hear a patch is coming to add it though.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

Kingspray is really great, tons of polish. Some of the Oculus money appears to have gone to licensing actual music for the boombox, a la GTA. The dadrock station plays Black Sabbath and whatnot. Only big negative for me is the lack of hand switching, it's really hard to believe VR games can make it to release without someone going 'maybe we should have a lefty try this'. I hear a patch is coming to add it though.

I believe the music is served up via online radio stations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baish posted:

I believe the music is served up via online radio stations.

oh, neat. I didn't catch that. Granted I only squeezed about 45 minutes in before I realized it was near midnight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

quote:

Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later.
12/06/2016 11:00 P.M. Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Ah, cool. This is fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mad.radhu posted:

'maybe we should have a lefty try this'.

Yeah I'm a lefty and VR developers need to have a standardized "Lefty Flip" checkbox in the pause menu, ala Rockband.

You could even have it in Oculus Home. Just hit the universal button and have there be an immediate checkbox for "Lefty", and have that flag be standardized for all devs. Or something.

I thought for a minute that I coudn't even point in Oculus Home with my left hand, they didn't explain in the tutorial that I have to pull the index trigger to toggle to that hand.

Is there a quick way to toggle handedness in The Unspoken? Also, is there a quick way to change my height in the guardian system? Didn't they used to have a Profile system?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Left handed users might be a bit of a blindspot because the big examples everyone had for inspiration were Vive games until now, and with the vive controllers you can just swap hands. Hopefully they'll get that fixed quickly.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

Left handed users might be a bit of a blindspot because the big examples everyone had for inspiration were Vive games until now, and with the vive controllers you can just swap hands. Hopefully they'll get that fixed quickly.

Handedness in a SteamVR-layer thing though, if you hit the System button you'll see hands on the controllers. Even Tiltbrush has had easy hand swapping for months (tap the butt ends of the controllers together and they'll swap), because they realized "well you can just swap controllers" really isn't the right answer. It might be something of a solution for now, but ambidextrous wand-type controllers are a small marker on a road that is clearly going towards more specialized controllers like Touch and Valve's new prototypes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is an extremely young development scene; we're still figuring out basic movement among other things. All basic conventions have gone out the window for better and/or worse. Tilt Brush adding switching via "butt bumping" the controllers is still a pretty recent addition and I expect it'll be populated out to other in development works as it's adopted into the "standard" of VR development. Failing that, I'm sure someone could jury rig something to swap/flip the controllers for older stuff that is no longer supported.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
gently caress, I'm so sore!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I have played a lot of VR over the past few years and Superhot is the coolest experience I've had. I played it for an hour last night and I was grinning the entire time.

Seriously, everyone needs to play it right now. I had seen footage of it, and thought it would be neat, but it way exceeded my expectations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I just wish I could figure out how to throw the throwing stars properly, and not like I am throwing a throwing star-shaped brick. Hell with it, there has to be an MAC 10 hidden around here somewhere...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Does anyone know if best buy locations have enough Touch controllers for me to wander in and get one?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

my hands are actually shaking from 30 levels of Archery in the Lab. gently caress my biceps are sore.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad you guys get to enjoy all these motion controller games now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

I'm so glad you guys get to enjoy all these motion controller games now

Yeah, I really like my Touch controllers and everything but the idea that the Vive and Oculus were at all comparable up to this point is laughable. We had half a system. Should have just gone with the Vive from the jump but that's irrelevant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
All the free games were just for Touch preorders, right? Any idea of what might be included if I wind up placing an order, say, next month?