Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Y-wings. Trash trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just hope we get a TV spot featuring Darth Vader roundhouse kicking some dude's head right the gently caress off.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Maxwell Lord posted:

You will note that when Qui-Gon says "Then speed us on our way" and "We could use a transport", he's waving his hand.

It's a little subtle but it's there.

(Similarly it took me a while to recognize the gag later when he says "Relax", Jar Jar faints, and Obi-Wan says "You overdid it.")

When I watch that scene, I always get the impression that Qui-gon is trying to mind trick Boss Nass, but it isn't really working. Qui-Gon gets his transport, but Nass is expecting him to get his dumb rear end killed by the monsters in the planet core. Jar Jar even points this out.

The big ole Frog Man isn't so weak minded.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And the truth of the matter is that I am already writing better than most (or all) professional critics.

Such a low bar tho

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TWIST FIST posted:

I like the "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate" line

it's pretty much the most important line in the scene, because we get to watch the same jedi council go down the same spiral yoda just outlined. the jedi are so afraid of fear and other negative emotions that instead of help anikin overcome his they shun him and they ignore their own fears and attachments.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Red posted:

If the basis of Padme's love for Anakin centers on when Annie was a little kid, this film has more problems than I thought.

Uh, why? That is a large part of why she falls in love with him. She sees him as a broken child and she wants to fix him.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Hat Thoughts posted:

Such a low bar tho

And obviously also not true

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Those are the first real tests of the force for each of the main characters, the closest analogue to Anakin's scene at the council is Luke training with the blast shield down. The latter is more enjoyable because it features more action instead of a bunch of weird old dudes telling 7 year old how he should be feeling. Ain't even head canon, its a comparison between two existing scenes.

Not everything has to be constant action, not even in a Star Wars movie. The focus of the Episode I scene is on Anakin's out-of-placeness and loneliness and fear, and the intimidating strangeness of his surroundings and his interrogators. The dialogue and acting is so effective that you can feel the coldness of the room even though the color palette of the scene is a warm red.

I don't understand these criticisms of the movie for not being a non-stop torrent of frantic movement and blocking. The original films weren't exactly like that either, you know, not all the time. I'm honestly astounded that anyone could ever be bored by the richness and unmatched-to-this-day otherworldliness of the visuals which are present in drat near every scene of these films:

For me, this is an image which speaks a thousand words. And I love how it's reprised in Episode III, when he's once again put in the same position of being judged by the Council and made to feel (in his mind) rejected and inferior:

And these twin moments:

No. He will not be trained.

You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master.

Everything's meticulously set up in exactly the right way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Friendly Factory posted:

The vast majority of "critics" who write for the media are actually just glorified journalists who write down what happened in the movie and whether or not they liked it. Most of them don't tend to do any real analysis, which believe it or not is what critics are actually supposed to do. By that metric almost anyone posting in this thread qualifies as a better critic.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

As usual Cnut pointed out what I was trying to get out with far more eloquence and examples.

I really think that a lot of the prequel detractors should do a good faith rewatch of all three films with as open a mind as possible. I think all of the memes about the prequels impact internet nerds' perceptions of them

Cnut the Great posted:

The vast majority of "critics" who write for the media are actually just glorified journalists who write down what happened in the movie and whether or not they liked it. Most of them don't tend to do any real analysis, which believe it or not is what critics are actually supposed to do. By that metric almost anyone posting in this thread qualifies as a better critic.

I agree with this. I'd love it if a regular movie columnist at a major outlet did even a fraction of the analysis that you or SMG do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoran posted:

What makes you say it's coercion?

Quigon has all along been indoctrinating Anakin, under the guise of freeing him. The major joke of the film is that it's far subtler and more insidious than the usual Jedi brainwashing scheme. Instead of feeling scared in front of Yoda, Anakin is having fun!

But first, you must understand that Anakin's rejection by the council is a variation on the standard "We Must Not Tamper In God's Domain" kind of scene. Fundamentalist Quigon is the religious equivalent of an archetypal mad scientist, indifferent to the impact his discoveries will have on society. The first lines of dialogue establish this indifference. And so, those in charge are trying to shut him down.

Yoda explicitly states, later in the film, that he would defy God Himself to protect the Church and the Republic from the demon ("grave danger") Quigon might unleash. But the satirical point of Episode 1 is that Quigon defies the stuffy naysayers, unleashes the monster, and everyone is overjoyed. We have the atom bomb, we've become Death (Destroyer Of Worlds), and we kicked Japan's rear end!

Even Quigon's harshest critics now see him as a martyr because of his death at the hands of a Sith. (Oh no!) And now they begrudgingly support Anakin's training, so he can be deployed in future bug-hunts. That's precisely what we see on Episode 2, when Anakin deliberately blows up the fleeing ships in the same way he 'accidentally' blew up the last one. Obiwan praises him: "great job, Anakin!"

Young Anakin doesn't kill because he's lucky, like Jar Jar is. Anakin is the incarnation of the Force, preternaturally adept at killing. So, in making Anakin serve the Republic instead of the slaves, the power Quigon has unleashed is the dark side itself.

But make no mistake; the council is not in the right here. They stand for stasis - the perpetuation of injustice - where Quigon actually risks changing things, for better or worse. Whenever you have these "science has gone too far!" types in a film, their goal is to stop anything interesting from happening. Quigon's only flaw is that he's still too attached to his Church and his Kingdom.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 7, 2016

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Cnut the Great posted:

I know all of this and don't wish to revise my statement. You're good people though.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

Not everything has to be constant action, not even in a Star Wars movie.

Nowhere did I claim that, but I did say that Luke's first taste of the force is more enjoyable to watch because it pairs action with character moments, whereas its TPM analogue did not. Deflecting laser blasts is generally gonna get a better rise out of people than wire frame cups.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Filthy Casual posted:

Nowhere did I claim that, but I did say that Luke's first taste of the force is more enjoyable to watch because it pairs action with character moments, whereas its TPM analogue did not. Deflecting laser blasts is generally gonna get a better rise out of people than wire frame cups.

So every scene that has action in cinema is better than one without? That's what you're implying here OP

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

The real kicker is when they try and totally air ball, ala the Darth Jar Jar theory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

The real kicker is when they try and totally air ball, ala the Darth Jar Jar theory.

What's funny about a lot of theories like that is how close they come to a legitimately interesting insight. There's a lot to think about with regard to the Jar Jar character but they have to take it to the absolute extreme, which I guess is probably motivated by the desire to get as much attention as possible.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TWIST FIST posted:

I like the "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate" line
It is literally the key to understanding Anakin's fall in three pivotal sequences in the subsequent movies.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Another cool thing with those Council scenes is that you're able to see the way the passage of time and the increasing climate of conflict has affected the makeup of the Council.

You see how Lucas cleverly uses the device of the hologram to show that the Jedi are in the process of fading out and becoming dissipated ghosts of their former selves:

(I also like how you can see Anakin going from standing in stark, frightened judgment before the Council to ultimately being on the Council himself. It's quite a leap we make in these movies, following Anakin from the time he's a cherubic nine-year-old all the way up to him being a dashing 23-year-old man.)

There are just so many brilliant details like that in these movies, it's almost never-ending. More than anything else, these are the kinds of thing Lucas was probably talking about when he said this:

"The interesting thing about Star Wars—and I didn’t ever really push this very far, because it’s not really that important—but there’s a lot going on there that most people haven’t come to grips with yet. But when they do, they will find it’s a much more intricately made clock than most people would imagine.”

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

Hmm...go check out Rotten Tomatoes citations some time

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

Luke's first taste of the Force was "luckily" buying two droids, one of whom just happened to be made by his father and the other of whom happened to be carrying an SOS from his long-lost sister.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 7, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hmm...go check out Rotten Tomatoes citations some time

It's like the 'post a badly composed shot from the prequels' challenge, that nobody could successfully accomplish.

If Friendly Factory were right, he could simply post examples of better criticism - but he can't. And won't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

homullus posted:

Luke's first taste of the Force was "luckily" buying two droids, one of whom just happened to be made by his father and the other of whom happened to be carrying an SOS from is long-lost sister.

And one of those droids happened to be his brother.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

And one of those droids happened to be his brother.

And his brother was a bear named Albert Einstein.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

I really think that a lot of the prequel detractors should do a good faith rewatch of all three films with as open a mind as possible. I think all of the memes about the prequels impact internet nerds' perceptions of them
I did! I watched them a few days ago. They're mostly just boring and the SE have aged poorly and makes everything feel artificial.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

In meditation we learn distraction is inevitable, the foundation is returning to one's breath. In the Star Wars thread we learn other topics are possible, we'll always return to prequel quality through posts like "episode 1 was so-so"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elfgames posted:

it's pretty much the most important line in the scene, because we get to watch the same jedi council go down the same spiral yoda just outlined. the jedi are so afraid of fear and other negative emotions that instead of help anikin overcome his they shun him and they ignore their own fears and attachments.
I was watching AotC recently. The first time I watched it, I just couldn't come to grips with the introduction of the clone army. The whole scenario was so suspicious that it made no sense to me that the Jedi would go along to it. On a rewatch, I noticed in some scene where Yoda is hearing news about the war--he's squinting like he's got a migraine. This whole war just gives him a headache and he wants it to go away. Yes, he's sad about what's happening but he'd also really like this to be someone else's problem, so he can spend his mornings teaching laser kendo to the younglings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The guy from The Onion is one of the most insightful film critics publishing today, even though he's a fictional character delivering absurd parodies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

homullus posted:

Luke's first taste of the Force was "luckily" buying two droids, one of whom just happened to be made by his father and the other of whom happened to be carrying an SOS from his long-lost sister.

When you accept that droids are sentient and look at droid behavior in the Clone Wars tv series the first R2 unit they pick malfunctioning raises so many questions. Did it just not want to go with Uncle Owen so it decided it would work fine at a later date? Did it blow its own brains out rather than continue being wiped and enslaved over and over again?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe it just had a bad motivator.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
knowing the nature of the force, the force deffo popped that little fucker's brain like a pimple to make sure everything happens as it should, star wars is deterministic

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

When you accept that droids are sentient and look at droid behavior in the Clone Wars tv series the first R2 unit they pick malfunctioning raises so many questions. Did it just not want to go with Uncle Owen so it decided it would work fine at a later date? Did it blow its own brains out rather than continue being wiped and enslaved over and over again?

The malfunction was R5-D4's first and last taste of the Force.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe it just had a bad motivator.

That's the pun. R5 absolutely killed himself.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

So every scene that has action in cinema is better than one without? That's what you're implying here OP

No, that's the conclusion your intentional obtuseness and flippancy is drawing. For all the pissing and moaning you've done about people not watching the prequels recently (for reference, I gutted out all three last year), you sure as hell don't make the slightest effort to understand differing preferences. Is it seriously that insane to you that someone would prefer a scene that has a little action and movement preferable to one that doesn't, when both accomplish a similar task relative to the plot, especially when that task involves testing compatibility with magical space powers?

Or maybe I'm going about this wrong, perhaps I should be implying that your defense of the TPM scene reveals that you enjoy watching young children in fear.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Halloween Jack posted:

I was watching AotC recently. The first time I watched it, I just couldn't come to grips with the introduction of the clone army. The whole scenario was so suspicious that it made no sense to me that the Jedi would go along to it.
I've never gotten this criticism because they really don't? I mean, they "go along with it" in the sense that they fight when the alternative is an army of robots overrunning the galaxy under the command of an evil ex-Jedi and his corporate cronies, but they're suspicious of the whole situation all the way up through ROTS. They're just not really given much of a choice but to play ball after the third act of AOTC.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've never gotten this criticism because they really don't? I mean, they "go along with it" in the sense that they fight when the alternative is an army of robots overrunning the galaxy under the command of an evil ex-Jedi and his corporate cronies, but they're suspicious of the whole situation all the way up through ROTS. They're just not really given much of a choice but to play ball after the third act of AOTC.

Also, the clone troopers end up being really impressive in battle and seem to be 100% trustworthy. The Jedi get to know some of them and even form friendships with a few. Their initial suspicions are disregarded out of desperation, and then as the war goes on that kinda goes out the window because the clones have proven themselves time and time again.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's such a common criticism and is almost always called a "plot hole." Weirdos are so desperate to justify why they don't like something that they have to invent these kinds of memes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

It's such a common criticism and is almost always called a "plot hole." Weirdos are so desperate to justify why they don't like something that they have to invent these kinds of memes.

Its due to people wanting to see the Jedi as infallible(even though the movies have always explicitly argued against that notion) badasses who could never be made to look foolish by the bad guys.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

homullus posted:

The malfunction was R5-D4's first and last taste of the Force.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

prequel fan hot take: plot holes are inventions by prequel haters and are imaginary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I love that they snuck in Crow T. and B-9 in there.

EDIT: Oh snap, Tom Servo, too.

• Locked thread