Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm really tired of games where the person is 200% Smaller than the objects in the game, like s/he's a small person. I thought they were done with this. Here's my drawing. The blue represents what they use as a stand in (it's a bubble) when they program the game and the blue cone is the line of vision.

It's not hard at all to make your guy (bubble) bigger, why do you have to have the surroundings 2x bigger than him/her?? It drives me nuts. I thought we were done with this after 360/PS3 days were over!

Like this, it's not difficult

No I am not good at art but I've made 2 stupid games in Unity and I made my guy not stupidly small so that's why it makes me mad cause you just make the bubble bigger to make it not look like you're 2 feet tall.

It annoys me when a game gives their character creator concrete measurements and then still messes this up. My first character on City of Heroes was meant to be a fairly imposing lady, so I set her height at a little over 6 foot; not huge, but enough height to have a commanding presence in a room, I thought.

It turned out that '6 foot' was actually a fair amount below what average NPC height was, and the game was scaled according to them, so she was quite short compared to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

as mentioned, the apartment below is being renovated and it's vacant. it's a saturday night. why are there people down there right now, talking and laughing? what the gently caress??

edit: my current peeve is at myself for being naive enough to believe the majority of people give a poo poo about anyone else, or thinking people/companies bother to follow their own rules. :suicide:

I'm really starting to feel your pain. The people 2 floors above me have been HAMMER drilling at the most bizarre hours for like 3 months, but only for 30 seconds at a time I guess 'to be quiet.' It still wakes me up. Currently they are sanding. It's close to midnight. You should not be sanding. Or Hammer drilling at 3am. I don't care what your work schedule is. Hire a contractor who works during the day.

I feel bad for the guys above me/below the drilling sanding guys.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mu Zeta posted:

What is this?

Also here's a thread update

Never seen those? Like This

Or this

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Magnusth posted:

Never seen those? Like This

Or this

Perfect for the aspiring TVTropes writer.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I heart bacon posted:

gently caress that noise. Where the hell did you grow up? A bus station?

It's a family thing. We always have spirited conversations that upset others that don't track like we do.

A bus station is probably the best way to describe a Thanksgiving in my family. There will be blood and tears, but it's fun.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
sounds italian to me

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Noctone posted:

sounds italian to me

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mostlygray posted:

A bus station is probably the best way to describe a Thanksgiving in my family.

Awkwardly silent?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Awkwardly silent?

More like the last place I'd want to be on Thanksgiving.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm really starting to feel your pain. The people 2 floors above me have been HAMMER drilling at the most bizarre hours for like 3 months, but only for 30 seconds at a time I guess 'to be quiet.' It still wakes me up. Currently they are sanding. It's close to midnight. You should not be sanding. Or Hammer drilling at 3am. I don't care what your work schedule is. Hire a contractor who works during the day.

I feel bad for the guys above me/below the drilling sanding guys.

:( that's awful. what are they even doing???

at least in the US, they're not supposed to do construction work outside of 7am - 8pm, I believe. I would probably die if they violated that.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bill Dungsroman posted:

what the gently caress is this

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Noctone posted:

sounds italian to me

Italians that like polka?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My ongoing pet peeve is how the Awful app interacts with imgur. A lot of the time I have to play the game of 'refresh the page a dozen times because all the imgur posts come up broken, sometimes even showing up briefly before breaking'.

I don't blame the app - I've kvetched about it so often that I'm reasonably sure it's on imgur's end - but drat is it annoying.'

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

when someone tells you something, you acknowledge it, and then they proceed to go on a 15 minute ramble about the thing you just acknowledged. As an example, this is a common conversation with my sister.

Sister:"hey can you do thing?"
Me:"Sure."
Sister:"I need you to do thing because blah blah blah blah blah."
Me: "Yeah I said I'd go do thing now."
Sister: "Well I really need thing done because blah blah blah"

repeat over and over again, sometimes even after the thing's been finished and over with for a while. drives me nuts.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

when someone tells you something, you acknowledge it, and then they proceed to go on a 15 minute ramble about the thing you just acknowledged. As an example, this is a common conversation with my sister.

repeat over and over again, sometimes even after the thing's been finished and over with for a while. drives me nuts.

This is almost certainly a response she's developed having to deal with someone in her life who's response to simple requests is "sure, I'll do it soon," but only actually does it after constantly being annoyed into action or many hours later.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Jaramin posted:

This is almost certainly a response she's developed having to deal with someone in her life who's response to simple requests is "sure, I'll do it soon," but only actually does it after constantly being annoyed into action or many hours later.
Except not, because I tend to just do things when asked so I don't forget. But nice vaguepost there my dude

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Except not, because I tend to just do things when asked so I don't forget. But nice vaguepost there my dude

If you did the thing the second she asked about it, you wouldn't have to hear the blah blah blahs. Just say "sure" and then walk away.

After the thing is done, if she's still trying to talk about it, change the subject and just go "It's done."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I literally said that's what I do. Like

bruh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

I literally said that's what I do. Like

bruh

Well either you are lying or your sister is mentally challenged, because who would stand there saying "I need this done" while you are actively in the process of doing it?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My sister does indeed do that. She'll follow me to it, watch me while I'm doing it, and explain THE ENTIRE TIME I AM DOING IT why she needs it done.

also why do you seem to have a hard-on for trying to see if I'm lying about a pet peeve I have, my dude? Chill out.

FluxFaun has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Dec 6, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well that's quite a peeve. Maybe you should post about it and then have goons not believe you.

Sociopastry posted:

also why do you seem to have a hard-on for trying to see if I'm lying about a pet peeve I have, my dude? Chill out.

Your story made little sense if you assume your sister is not mentally challenged. I am truly sorry for your lots.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

pet peeve: goons

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I have had a manager who would hear me say "I'm going to go close up and turn the lights off in the lobby," watch me walk out there, do all the usual closing tasks that we did every single day (which included turning the lights off), and then-- as I was approaching the light switch, steps away-- call out "Oh, make sure you turn the lights off." More than once.

So I believe it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

WampaLord posted:

Well that's quite a peeve. Maybe you should post about it and then have goons not believe you.

Your story made little sense if you assume your sister is not mentally challenged. I am truly sorry for your lots.

my pet peeve is your bad posting

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Troposphere posted:

my pet peeve is your bad posting

Sorry. I was primarily a D&D poster until the election happened, so it's taking me time to adjust to more casual and less argumentative posting. I'll try to be chiller.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sociopastry posted:

My dad's like that. Even if it's a small thing, he'll immediately launch into reasons it needs to be done, before I can even take a step.

I've also caught myself doing it. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who say "oval office" isn't offensive in Australia. It's not even close to true, it's still one of the most offensive words you could use in most situations, stop telling foreigners otherwise.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiggum posted:

People who say "oval office" isn't offensive in Australia. It's not even close to true, it's still one of the most offensive words you could use in most situations, stop telling foreigners otherwise.

It's used to the point of merely being punctuation in their speech. oval office tossed in casually isn't shocking to me the way it can be if used exclusively as an expletive. Like the N-bomb. When used in context between people of color it doesn't have the same shock value as someone using it to try and provoke someone.

That said, if it bothers you I certainly can't do anything to change that, and I'm sorry it does bother you. But the odds of oval office being removed from the Australian lexicon is all but nil.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's used to the point of merely being punctuation in their speech.
It's used that way by some Australians, but certainly not all, and even then only in certain situations and with certain people. It's far from the universal and everyday thing that people have made it out to be.

Indolent Bastard posted:

That said, if it bothers you I certainly can't do anything to change that, and I'm sorry it does bother you. But the odds of oval office being removed from the Australian lexicon is all but nil.
That's not the point at all. It doesn't bother me that people use it that way, it bothers me that Australians (and therefore me) are being grossly misrepresented in this way.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I don't know about all that, but it sounds kind of like how the rest of the english speaking world uses "gently caress." Most people will probably use it at some point in their lives, some nearly every day, but only the truly stupid and crass would use it in a job interview or other polite conversation.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jfc why do turn lanes with 2 lanes break people's brains? like loving clockwork, everytime I'm turning at one of these lights, a dipshit in front or behind me will inevitably turn from either lane, THEN MERGE INTO THE OTHER LANE AFTER THE TURN. This is loving why there are 2 turn lanes you idiots. Use the right lane to turn into the right lane, use the left lane to turn into the left lane. Why is it so loving hard :ssj:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bradzilla posted:

jfc why do turn lanes with 2 lanes break people's brains? like loving clockwork, everytime I'm turning at one of these lights, a dipshit in front or behind me will inevitably turn from either lane, THEN MERGE INTO THE OTHER LANE AFTER THE TURN. This is loving why there are 2 turn lanes you idiots. Use the right lane to turn into the right lane, use the left lane to turn into the left lane. Why is it so loving hard :ssj:

It's even worse with triple turn lanes, and even worse on top of that when you're dealing with florida drivers. Being in the center turn lane is like being in a death trap because inevitably one of the SUVs flanking you is going to edge into your lane. The dashed lines guiding you through the turn are there for a reason, they aren't a polite suggestion.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's even worse when you have two left-turn lanes, and the intersection allows left-turners to U-turn from the left-most turn lane, and an idiot in the other left-turn lane makes a U-turn and nearly hits the car in the left-most lane who is simply turning left.

That's as clearly as I could write that sentence, so here's an equally bad drawing :v:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

bradzilla posted:

To be fair, at least some of these situations come up because Google Maps doesn't tell you which of the two turn lanes you need to use.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's even worse when you have two left-turn lanes, and the intersection allows left-turners to U-turn from the left-most turn lane, and an idiot in the other left-turn lane makes a U-turn and nearly hits the car in the left-most lane who is simply turning left.

That's as clearly as I could write that sentence, so here's an equally bad drawing :v:

Since were in lovely traffic pattern talk let me show you the bane of my existence. Ok so the red dot is the entry/exit to the community where I live, green is daycare. Come with me on my twice daily journey wont you. So let's go left (purple). Ok not too bad there's a protected left, but it's only for southbound traffic literally all the light does is get you into a void between north and southbound traffic. Now comes the fun part, you have about 500 feet to get into the far right lane, the only one that can turn right onto SR-54! Ok so gently caress that right, that's crazy so lets go the other way (orange). Ok there's still a left turn but after that you have a protected merge, except (and this will sound familiar) the light only stops southbound traffic so Northbound keeps going at speed. But at least this way you get almost 800 feet to cross four lanes of traffic instead of 500, and this isn't even taking into consideration coming back the other way which I have to do to go to work. It literally takes me 7-10 minutes each way, not including drop-off/pickup time just to get back to where I left home every morning.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Dec 7, 2016

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Something that bothers me are people who are rude to their parents or say terrible things about them. Makes me feel very uncomfortable...

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Shayu posted:

Something that bothers me are people who are rude to their parents or say terrible things about them. Makes me feel very uncomfortable...

A large percentage of the women I've gone out with have had an adversarial relationship with one or both of their parents. This in itself doesn't bother me - I appreciate I had a pretty damned good upbringing and am lucky my parents are such good people - but every one of the aforementioned women seem to view it as some kind of defect that I like my parents and enjoy their company. The highlight being a dope fiend NEET I went out with for a while who went on an hour long tirade every time I took my mum out to lunch. Like, I wanna see how my parents are getting on and have lunch, and somehow this made me a fuckin' sissy nancy boy who should cut the apron strings and grow a set and it's so weiiiiird to be friendly with your parents et cetera et cetera. Because I bought my mum lunch once a fortnight and occasionally went round to help my dad tinker with classic cars and plant his garden.

In conclusion:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkj_MlByXW0

Anyway - poker people. I do not give one solitary poo poo what you would've hit had you stayed in the hand. It's not a gross injustice that someone forced you off the pot and you missed your ridiculous one-outer, it's a core part of the game. And stop throwing loving temper tantrums when the seven on the turn of a hand you folded would've given you a full house - it's information to those still in the hand, and it's some bullshit. gently caress YEAH.

Also I will never ever stop check-reraising, so shush.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
People who put up a barrier of ownership or experience before you can 'really' criticize something.

Very recently the thing that hit me on that was an assertion that I can't call the Final Fantasy game with no female characters in its main party the worst in the series for female representation, because if you PLAYED it you'd know that ACTUALLY it really respects women. And I know that's a pretty nerdy and pedantic version of it, but I've hit it so hard elsewhere. I've dug deep into political volunteering over the past year, and to so many people you're just not allowed to have political opinions until you've got a child and/or a house.

It's one thing to note that something is different once you've experienced it, and so outside criticism might not land right. But it's quite another to refuse any and all criticism of something, even on simple levels, until someone has experienced as much of it as you have.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shayu posted:

My parents are toxic, abusive, garbage human beings and my pet peeve is all the loving morality plays that happen over Christmas that seem to emphasize that "family matters most" when the reality is that sometimes people are pieces of poo poo that should be cut out of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When I look forward to a slice of pecan pie and when I check there is no pecan pie so I can't have any pecan pie.

That really gets me.