Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Royals think they're contending next year.

If Hosmer, Cain and Gordon don't under perform again and Moustakis stays healthy I don't see why they won't contend. They were .500 with basically everyone on their team playing bad this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Cain was his career average last year. He had a really, really good 2015.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They outperformed their pythag by 8 games last season, and their rotation is terrible. Even in the AL Central Duffy/Kennedy/Ventura/Gee?/Young?? is going to struggle to make .500.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Royals will probably be about .500 with the current lineup and rotation; it'll be a huge ask to get a wild card spot and they probably aren't going to be winning the central for several more years.

On the other hand the city will absolutely love a .500 team and they'll probably make a lot more money with at least a peripheral contender than they would with yet another last place + high draft pick wasted on bust pitcher strategy so that might be where DM is taking this.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Intruder posted:

I'm not a Trump supporter but I think it's hilarious how everyone pivoted from "Mr Trump you must accept the results of the election" to "Let's hope the electoral college rejects him"

Just accept that the next four years are going to suck

November was a really good month I agree.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a stat that measures SLG - OBP? Something similar to ISO but replace AVG with OBP in the equation. If Trumbo played for the Rockies I think he'd set that record, whatever the hell that may be.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Is there a stat that measures SLG - OBP? Something similar to ISO but replace AVG with OBP in the equation. If Trumbo played for the Rockies I think he'd set that record, whatever the hell that may be.

you can just do math yourself and look at it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The problem for Edwin is that teams just keep finding cheaper (or shorter term) options. The Jays picked up Pearce and Morales (lol), Sox picked up Moreland, Astros picked up Beltran, etc.

I don't know who else out there is looking for an EE except maybe Cleveland if they'd spend the money? Colorado if the weird rear end note about Desmond at 1B are false (probably) and they're willing to do another big signing (probably not)

e: oh maybe Texas. lol imagine if that happened :(

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 7, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's official:

https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/806569796619866112

Best of luck Soler, hope you go on to show off that Soler Power for the Royals. :sun:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am clinging to this thought like people hoping that the electoral college rejects Trump:

http://linkis.com/m.mlb.com/cutfour/20/f0Iti

I hope this happens so there is a backlash against all the retirement gifts he received and it permanently kills the farewell tour nonsense that has sprouted up in recent years.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

It's official:

https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/806569796619866112

Best of luck Soler, hope you go on to show off that Soler Power for the Royals. :sun:

Soler being the only position player to stay on the bench Game 7 was all the foreshadowing I needed to this trade

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope this happens so there is a backlash against all the retirement gifts he received and it permanently kills the farewell tour nonsense that has sprouted up in recent years.

I'm hoping for some emeritus position like assistant hitting coach / designated pinch hitter.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Bring back Ortiz, but only as a pinch-runner.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope Baltimore asks for their bullpen phone back.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Bring back David Ortiz and David Ross but hired by MLB to drive a vintage Mustang to each ballpark and in between give the local restaurants the Guy Fieri treatment and make them eat all the overproduced $30 weird ballpark food they do nowadays

Dingers, Davids and Drives

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Considering that Jorge once tried to singlehandedly attack a dugout with a bat, the royals finally got the teammate Ventura needs

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Bill King is finally in the Hall of Fame. loving finally.

:allears:

edit: And here's a quick read discussing the news.

Senf fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 7, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As SAS' s Number One soler fan I'm a little bummed, I still think he's going to mash. Wade Davis owns though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I am very much okay with trading the Cubs' fifth outfielder (with ~potential~) for one of the best closers in the game (when he's not dead)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GeneX posted:

I am very much okay with trading the Cubs' fifth outfielder (with ~potential~) for one of the best closers in the game (when he's not dead)

but but but *hugs prospect who was positionally blocked by like 3 other players, and even when he did get playing time didn't look all that hot and still managed to get injured a bunch with his limited play time*

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/806245944685723648

V: Nothing breaks in a recently reconstructed knee quite like becoming THE BEEFY LEADOFF LAD.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kyle Schwarber Lead off man is something I need to experience.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Royals when dealing with the Cubs should have made a move for Schwarber. I guess maybe they did but I also think that Davis+ for Schwarber is a lot more attractive especially given the Royals current lack of fat guys to DH.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Strikeout/flyout/dinger is an interesting leadoff strategy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Schwarber also walks a ton so it actually makes a ton of sense.

bewbies posted:

I feel like the Royals when dealing with the Cubs should have made a move for Schwarber. I guess maybe they did but I also think that Davis+ for Schwarber is a lot more attractive especially given the Royals current lack of fat guys to DH.

What in the gently caress could the Royals possibly have given the cubs that would be worth Schwarber?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 7, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bewbies posted:

lol at the Cubs trading Schwarber for a pitcher with one year of control.

Cubs weren't willing to trade Schwarber for someone like Andrew Miller with years of control. That front office seems to value and like Schwarber as much as(if not more than) Bryant and Rizzo.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Dexo posted:

Kyle Schwarber Lead off man is something I need to experience.

Goon project: Donation pool to some mobility-based charity for every stolen base/triple that Schwarber has this coming year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rockies have no clue what they are doing, do they

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GeneX posted:

A trade that can work out well for both sides. And Davis, if he owns again in 2017, should be much cheaper to lock up than Jansen or Chapman.

I still want Jansen, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dexo posted:

lol at the Cubs trading Schwarber for a pitcher with one year of control.

Cubs weren't willing to trade Schwarber for someone like Andrew Miller with years of control. That front office seems to value and like Schwarber as much as(if not more than) Bryant and Rizzo.

If you don't love a fat guy that mashes huge dingers, you're not a baseball fan.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

Bring back Ortiz, but only as a pinch-runner.
pinch-bunter

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rockies have no clue what they are doing, do they
there is another trade that has to be coming for one of the OFs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Your Taint posted:

If you don't love a fat guy that mashes huge dingers, you're not a baseball fan.

The White Babe Ruth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More of that sweet Cubs news I know the thread loves so much:

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/806583777124302848
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/806583999175032832

Glad the Cubs got to conduct an in-person physical and signed off on Davis. Also curious to see how Strop/Rondon/Edwards competing for the 7/8 spots will pan out. That said there's apparently "more work" to be done on the bullpen, and Wood might be coming back so that's cool:

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/806587832588529664

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

It's true, Matt Stairs is my spirit guide.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

N: https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/806245944685723648

V: Nothing breaks in a recently reconstructed knee quite like becoming THE BEEFY LEADOFF LAD.

Almora is more of a stereotypical leadoff hitter, but Schwarber has a much better OBP. I don't like Zobrist leading off because he's the ultimate protection for Rizzo, as shown in game 7.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Can we make Wade Davis wear a big rear end chain please

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/806609771466018818

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/806614540234485760

So either the Nationals or the Red Sox are going to have to adopt Adam and Drake LaRoche.

For just 5 dollars a month you can help fund their trips to southeast Asia to "save" sex workers.

Edit: I'm dumb and forgot that LaRoche used to be on the Nationals...

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 7, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Robles isn't in the deal then Giolito has to be, right? Eaton's surely more valuable than just a couple of low-level prospects.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Giolito+ for eaton. yeesh. No way the Jays match that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806619366964023305

Oh John. Gonna regret that typo.

• Locked thread