Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So while we're talking about 19th century Native American law, it looks like the Dawes Act 2.0 is going to be on the table under Trump.

And you thought Standing Rock and stealing Oak Flat were bad. We ain't seen nothing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Looks like Marty Two Bulls' hasn't drawn a victory cartoon yet, but of course, most of his work on the subject looks pretty victorious.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

What happened, Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEE!!!!!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

Brainiac Five

That makes a lot of sense.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Looks like Marty Two Bulls' hasn't drawn a victory cartoon yet, but of course, most of his work on the subject looks pretty victorious.

i resent this discrimination against reptiles, a grade of cool and good animals :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Apparently there's a Lakota story about a "black snake from the north" showing up at the end of the world, and Marty really took to that image.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, Cracked of all places are bringing out claims that civil and military intelligence are employing jammers on the protest camp. Anyone knows how likely this is to be true?

E: The article uses these links, among others:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/11/the_at_t_time_warner_merger_and_the_standing_rock_protests.htm

https://www.nlg.org/nlg-and-aclu-su...-standing-rock/

I'm not in the US and don't know a lot about the ACLUs practices, but would they ask for an open record request unless they had a strong suspicion something was amiss?

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 6, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tias posted:

So, Cracked of all places are bringing out claims that civil and military intelligence are employing jammers on the protest camp. Anyone knows how likely this is to be true?

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/11/the_at_t_time_warner_merger_and_the_standing_rock_protests.htm

I'm not in the US and don't know a lot about the ACLUs practices, but would they ask for an open record request unless they had a strong suspicion something was amiss?

Generally, yes. The ACLU is already involved in lawsuits regarding police actions during the protest, so the FOIA requests would go out on less than solid suspicion just in case. That said, that Cracked article makes some serious allegations and has some solid reasoning to back them, so we'll see what gets dug up.

After the way they've been behaving, I'd love to see the police forces hoist on the petard of illegal wiretapping. Not to mention that they've been shooting down drones, which is amusingly enough a federal felony depending on the current definition of drones as aircraft.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So while we're talking about 19th century Native American law, it looks like the Dawes Act 2.0 is going to be on the table under Trump.

And you thought Standing Rock and stealing Oak Flat were bad. We ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm going to love watching people in the thread try to justify this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Privatisation is bad, therefore the proposed Dawes act 2.0 is bad.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Various native groups are in favor so maybe ask them? It's not like even Native Amercans are of one mind on the topic.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wateroverfire posted:

Various native groups are in favor so maybe ask them? It's not like even Native Amercans are of one mind on the topic.

[citation needed]

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

wateroverfire posted:

link?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Reuters article lists some individual natives in related industries that seem to be of the mind that some of the regulations impede tribal profit on their own land. I know nothing beyond that and don't have the time right now to investigate further.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tias posted:

I'm not discounting that the government may have been doing some of the things that that article is article is attempting to describe but holy poo poo is that article a mess. The person who's writing that has no comprehension of what they're writing about and is conflating tons of poo poo (including things that are mutually exclusive) because they don't have the technical background to understand the subject so they're just aggregating poo poo other people told them.

A lot of it is really alarmist about poo poo that is mind boggling "Holy fuckity gently caress the government can tap your cell phone!!!!11" .... uhh loving duh the government's been tapping phones since about three seconds after the first telegraph wire went up? The writer is incredulous at the fact the government has the technical capability to jam wireless access points (lol at scare quoting "white noise"... also white noise is pretty much the opposite of what you'd use for that)? Give me a break anyone who can handle a soldering iron and has access to google can do that in about 5 minutes with parts from radioshack (the hard part would be finding a radioshack).

Which is not to say that what they're doing is necessarily okay and/or not bad, but it's really hard to disentangle what the gently caress might actually be going on at the site from the babby's first primer on electronic attack combined with "every random campfire rumor about technomages" that's going on in that article.

I would like I see a more adept writeup about this though,

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Reuters article lists some individual natives in related industries that seem to be of the mind that some of the regulations impede tribal profit on their own land. I know nothing beyond that and don't have the time right now to investigate further.

There is Dale Miles, who is a tribal historian and member of the San Carlos Apache, who writes that Oak Flat is not a sacred site.

Or Harrison Talgo, former chairman and an elder of the San Carlos Apache tribe, who testified in front of congress supporting the land swap in 2011.

Testimony posted:

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee:

My name is Harrison Talgo. I am a member of the San Carlos Apache Nation. I am a former Tribal chairman, and I served as a member of the San Carlos Apache Tribal Council for 16 years. This is National Flag Day and I am proud to say I am a veteran of the Marine Corps and served my country with honor and duty in Vietnam. I am also a Tribal Elder.

Many times I have come before Congress as an official representative of my government to present issues affecting and in the best interest of the San Carlos Apache Tribal Government. But today, I come before you as a concerned private citizen of Bylas.
I am here to voice my support of HR.1904.

My ancestoral clan inhabited the Pinal Mountains in Arizona, the same region where many mining operations exist today and not far from the mining project proposed by Resolution Copper. My wife Elouise and I raised 7 children on the reservation. I understand the Apache way and am respectful of the traditions of my ancestors. They were proud and independent people.

I know the tribal leadership does not share my position. I have tried very hard to understand why they oppose this project when we are in such desperate need of jobs and industry. I believe that traditional Apache values are not mutually exclusive with economic development.
We are one of the poorest Indian tribes in the nation. Seven in ten eligible workers in the tribe are unemployed. Almost 80 percent of our people live in poverty. Alcoholism and drug use are rampant and suicide rates are high. The average Apache male has a life expectancy of 54 years, about 20 years shorter than the average American male.

Obviously, this places a tremendous strain on personal and family relationships and a heavy burden on social services – services the tribe struggles to provide.

Without jobs, our children are forced to move to neighboring communities or into the city to find work. Not many of them return. With each passing generation, a piece of Apache identity and culture is lost. I can tell you as a father and grandfather and one who grew up in traditional ways and learned the language of my fathers, that is heartbreaking.

Those who stay on the reservation face a bleak future. Only education and training and opportunities for good-paying jobs can improve that picture.
Even though our nearest reservation boundary is about 20 miles away from the Resolution project and our nearest community is almost 40 miles away by highway, that is a reasonable distance to travel for a job, especially when you consider the high wages and benefits that mining jobs provide. There also are opportunities for San Carlos residents to start businesses much closer to home that will supply and service a large mining operation like Resolution Copper. In discussions with Resolution, I have discovered the company is ready and willing to discuss these kinds of opportunities with San Carlos. Many Apaches worked at the former Magma Mine that is the base area for this new mine.

The issue today is not about our reservation land, our sovereignty, our heritage, our self respect – these are not for sale. This is about putting our people – a lot of people – to work. I believe economic development should be our leadership’s top priority. I have previously testified before Congress in support of economic development projects. I have done so in the face of opposition from other leaders who have opposed these same opportunities on and near the reservation. Some of those projects experienced costly delays as a result of the Council’s opposition, but they all were built eventually. And they have all hired Apaches.

I respect the Council’s desire to protect sites that have cultural or historical significance. I want that, too. But Oak Flat is a long way from us, and I believe strongly that it is possible for our traditional values to co-exist with economic progress. In fact, I don’t believe one can survive without the other. Economic progress and prosperity leads to a better standard of living, better health, better services and better education. It increases our capacity to learn and expands our cultural horizons. It gives us additional resources to explore and study our past, to protect what we hold sacred, to showcase and display those things that are culturally important, and to help the outside world better understand and appreciate the stories and traditions of our fathers.

Because many members of the San Carlos Apache Nation are dependent on the tribal government for food, utilities, and a limited number of available jobs, they often do not speak out against Council decisions in fear of losing those benefits. I am not afraid to speak out. I can assure you I do not stand alone as a member of the San Carlos Apache Nation in support of the Resolution Copper Mine and the jobs and prosperity it will create. I made personal phone calls to many people within my community of 2,000 tribal members and the majority of them responded in favor of this project.
I respectfully urge Congress to pass this bill. Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I welcome any questions you and the committee may have.

Bolding mine. I can't personally verify it, of course, but it is interesting if true.

There is a diversity of views on the topic.

The swap bill also, apparantly, specifically does not include certain locations in the area that do have cultural significance, such as Apache Leap.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

There is Dale Miles, who is a tribal historian and member of the San Carlos Apache, who writes that Oak Flat is not a sacred site.

Or Harrison Talgo, former chairman and an elder of the San Carlos Apache tribe, who testified in front of congress supporting the land swap in 2011.

Bolding mine. I can't personally verify it, of course, but it is interesting if true.

There is a diversity of views on the topic.

The swap bill also, apparantly, specifically does not include certain locations in the area that do have cultural significance, such as Apache Leap.

Proper response to any idea that it'll be different this time around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAO8Zmv4ag

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Proper response to any idea that it'll be different this time around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAO8Zmv4ag

idgi.

edit: To clarify - I don't understand what you're getting at.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 6, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

idgi.

edit: To clarify - I don't understand what you're getting at.

Naturally, the copper mining company will roll in with killdozers Avatar-style, shoot the natives in the back and drop smallpox blankets out of Apache helicopters. While cackling about uncivilised savages and maximum profit like cartoon villains, that is.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

blowfish posted:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

blowfish posted:

Naturally, the copper mining company will roll in with killdozers Avatar-style, shoot the natives in the back and drop smallpox blankets out of Apache helicopters. While cackling about uncivilised savages and maximum profit like cartoon villains, that is.

It'd be nice if stuff like this didn't actually happen before.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, I'm trying to figure out what people are actually advocating, so I can decide if I'm in favor of it or not. You're saying that tribes only exercise sovereignty over their members, not the land of the res, but VitalSigns and Commie seem to be arguing in favor of some new arrangement where the tribes exercise sovereignty over territory. Either the tribes don't gain any additional sovereignty, in which case I'm trying to figure out what the purported benefit would be, or they do and I'd like to nail down what people mean by that and the justice of seizing the land from its present owners.

VitalSigns posted:

Self-determination is a very important concept in law, actually. My argument isn't that Mexican-Americans aren't disadvantaged enough, my argument is that they literally don't want this to happen (and the reason they don't is because they're not disadvantaged enough to prefer Mexican rule to US rule). It's a total red herring.

In an alternate reality where they did have enough grievances to organize a government and demand self-determination yeah sure I think it would be good to at least consider what they had to say. If California government were so bad that millions of people wanted Mexican rule of all things then gently caress at the very least we need to fix a lot of poo poo, stat.
You're altering the hypothetical instead of answering it. I am aware that returning the Cession to Mexico does not currently have widespread support. I am asking if, in the event that a majority of the descendants of those Mexican citizens who lived there when the territory was seized (who comprise a tiny minority of the current population of said territory) wished to return to Mexican sovereignty on the basis that their land had been unjustly seized 150 years ago, you would support that? If not, how do you distinguish that from the natives' claim on former Indian territory?

VitalSigns posted:

Actually it is so designed: the argument for keeping the Senate is that the people in small states have unique experiences and interests that differ enough from the rest of the country that their minority wills deserve extra voting power. Ethnic group boundaries no more or less arbitrary than in invisible line on a map that divides Nevada voter power from California voter power.
:lol: you're trying to pretend that ethnicity is comparable to state of residence to obfuscate that you were arguing for an ethnic supremacist government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

:ironicat: Privatization IS bad. What, are you kidding me? If you live in the US, you live in place that is living proof its a gigantic mistake.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

:ironicat: Privatization IS bad. What, are you kidding me? If you live in the US, you live in place that is living proof its a gigantic mistake.

Dude of all the places you could be living, the USA is one of the absolute best.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

Dude of all the places you could be living, the USA is one of the absolute best.

gently caress. No. Privatized For Profit medicine is a loving nightmare. Know all the VA issues we've been having? Guess when the VA went downhill? When they started contracting it out to Private Contractors. For Profit prisons are literally taking money from education and dumping it into prisons faster than we can hand it to them, and since they get paid for every prisoners they get, they fully encourage a revolving door system.

Privatization is a loving nightmare and you're a heartless rear end in a top hat for suggesting its a good idea.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

wateroverfire posted:

Outside of all the better ones.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress. No. Privatized For Profit medicine is a loving nightmare. Know all the VA issues we've been having? Guess when the VA went downhill? When they started contracting it out to Private Contractors. For Profit prisons are literally taking money from education and dumping it into prisons faster than we can hand it to them, and since they get paid for every prisoners they get, they fully encourage a revolving door system.

Privatization is a loving nightmare and you're a heartless rear end in a top hat for suggesting its a good idea.

LOL. We're just talking in generalities but trust me it can be so, so, so much worse.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

botany posted:

Outside of all the better ones.

I guess so?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

wateroverfire posted:

hahahahahahahaha

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

yeah i guess so too

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Murrica #1

the Natives as Israelis comparison is still the nadir of stupidity for this thread.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really wish whomever keeps tossing these big red titles onto people in D&D would get more original because it's confusing as gently caress having everyone's avatar be that same autistic guy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

I really wish whomever keeps tossing these big red titles onto people in D&D would get more original because it's confusing as gently caress having everyone's avatar be that same autistic guy.

I believe its effectronica.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

coyo7e posted:

I got tentacle rape girl so there's that.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
They'll reroute the pipe over the river north of Bismarck and suddenly the pipeline's true environmental dangers will be discussed openly by very concerned and serious white people.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.facebook.com/100008607349356/videos/1617198631910366/

DeusExMachinima posted:

I got tentacle rape girl so there's that.
Yeah and at this point you're the only one I didn't put on ignore, because you at least appear to want to have a real back and forth. All the autist avatars (pro and against) are just wasted time.. But it sure does make it easy to skim through 4 days' of posts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I'm trying to figure out what people are actually advocating, so I can decide if I'm in favor of it or not. You're saying that tribes only exercise sovereignty over their members, not the land of the res, but VitalSigns and Commie seem to be arguing in favor of some new arrangement where the tribes exercise sovereignty over territory. Either the tribes don't gain any additional sovereignty, in which case I'm trying to figure out what the purported benefit would be, or they do and I'd like to nail down what people mean by that and the justice of seizing the land from its present owners.
You're altering the hypothetical instead of answering it. I am aware that returning the Cession to Mexico does not currently have widespread support. I am asking if, in the event that a majority of the descendants of those Mexican citizens who lived there when the territory was seized (who comprise a tiny minority of the current population of said territory) wished to return to Mexican sovereignty on the basis that their land had been unjustly seized 150 years ago, you would support that?
Eh I see where you're going but the situations are too different for this analogy to work the way you want it to. Even if the former Mexicans in the Cession did have an equally strong claim (which I'm not convinced of), they don't have an organized government that's been continuously litigating and trying to enforce that claim. The Sioux have been trying to get their land back for over 100 years and been stopped only by naked force and by the court system of their conquerors refusing to acknowledge them. The Sioux began lobbying immediately for their rights and never stopped. Whatever claim the former Mexicans had has been left fallow for over a century, so if they just up and changed their minds right now I don't see how they'd have any more right than anyone else who lets someone squat on their land for a 100 years and doesn't press any claim (ie none).

But the original situation is pretty different too:
  • The area was sparsely populated by Mexican citizens who weren't controlling or using anything close to the actual land that became California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc (and much of that land belonged to other native groups like the Comanche and Apache who were later ethnically cleansed by the United States). The Mexicanos owed allegiance to a government who claimed the right to administrate claims inherited by Spain but that's really not the same thing so it's not clear how much land would actually be theirs.
  • The treaty that ended the war guaranteed the property rights of those Mexican citizens and gave them the right to become US Citizens with full voting rights. It's doubtful whether a simple change of administration in itself violates anyone's rights. If a given Mexican became a US citizen and their property wasn't disturbed, I don't see how their descendants would have any cause of action against the US at all. This is obviously not the same as the Sioux who were conquered, denied US citizenship for many years, and ethnically cleansed
  • In many cases those rights weren't honored so those people would obviously have a cause of action against the US government, but not the right to demand Mexican sovereignty over their lands.
  • I could see the Mexican government being within their rights to disavow the treaty because it was signed at gunpoint, but still unlike the Sioux they've let that claim lie fallow for over a hundred years, which is a pretty big hurdle.
tldr: the situations aren't similar enough for it to matter

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: you're trying to pretend that ethnicity is comparable to state of residence to obfuscate that you were arguing for an ethnic supremacist government.

:psyduck: You asked me if, theoretically, the tribes gained sovereignty over a majority of non-Sioux people and allowed them to naturalize and vote, how would the Sioux's minority rights be protected. I listed several ways real free democratic nations deal with minority rights today: power-sharing agreements (Northern Ireland), regional rather than population-based representation (the US Senate), deliberately-drawn minority-majority districts (the US Voting Rights Act), and pre-agreed constitutional protections with supermajority requirements to change later (pretty much every modern democracy). None of those things amount to ethnic supremacist government.

There's also another obvious solution: the tribe might agree to forgo their claims on Pierre and other areas with heavy non-Sioux populations to avoid this issue while still regaining sovereignty over the Black Hills and the rest of the 1868 treaty borders.

Although I'm not sure why you care about these details because according to the morality you've put forth in this thread, if the Sioux had enough firepower it would be 100% moral to ethnically cleanse these areas and then if anyone complained their courts could rule "oops it was bad to do that we know better and we'll start respecting everyone's rights beginning from five minutes ago, and hey we're already living in your houses so here's less money than its worth go away now", and you'd would doubtlessly agree that well it isn't a perfect system but best of all possible worlds, can't have sore losers complainin bout stuff all the time, etc. (I mean not really, because your morality is selective and only, mmm, "certain people" get the benefit of being allowed to steal land and then wrap themselves in property rights 5 minutes later when their victims ask for it back, but it's funny to watch you dance around this and try to project your selective morality on everyone else).

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 7, 2016

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

CommieGIR posted:

I think you're replying to the "pinochet was actually good" guy from the latin american thread, in a conversation about privatization

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Who was it that kept bringing up copper mines on tribal lands and how it's an example of how well they can work hand in glove and keep everything hunky-dory, too?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.8ab38d715852

If WaPo is too lieberal to stomach then try https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/suspected-avian-cholera-outbreak-claims-2000-migrating-snow-geese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommieGIR posted:

I actually thought he was stating it unironically and agreed with the sentiment.

Privatization is, as a rule, loving garbage, even if it helps supply my paycheck. :v:

• Locked thread