Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

frodnonnag posted:

Because $1000 isn't a whole hell of alot assuming monitor and accessories, and if prebuilt that is mid range. You are most likely bottlenecked with a subpar part, my guess is gpu or processor.

The real reason is PhysX particles.

Spinning Robo should turn that down from high to medium at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i have a top-of-the-line gaming pc and the same problems with Blands 2, physx on low.

it can play DOOM flawlessly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My system I built about 6 months before BL2 came out for about that price (for hardware priced as such in 2012) had absolutely no problems with the game with physX off

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Some games are just hosed like that. On my old computer, I could play Dragon Age Origins with minor framerate problems in some areas, and I couldn't play Witcher 2 at all. Now I can play Witcher 2 with no performance problems, and I have the exact same framerate problems on Dragon Age.

I only wish I enjoyed Witcher 2

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Alt-tabbing away from DOOM halves my framerate until I go through a loading screen, or cause the engine to reload somehow. I like alt-tabbing. I don't remember if it has borderless fullscreen, but if it does I'm using it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Captain Lavender posted:

Some games are just hosed like that. On my old computer, I could play Dragon Age Origins with minor framerate problems in some areas, and I couldn't play Witcher 2 at all. Now I can play Witcher 2 with no performance problems, and I have the exact same framerate problems on Dragon Age.

I only wish I enjoyed Witcher 2

on my old hp latop i was able to run witcher 2 on meh settings and it still looked good.

hell, i was impressed at the water caustics bouncing off the walls in the fountain in the first area

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Also chiming in with Borderlands 2. The game ran well on an AMD Phenom II with a Radeon HD6870 in 2013, but now I've got an Intel i5-4690 and an nVidia GTX970 and it runs like poo poo with PhysX off and everything else turned down.

Except when you turn off the network settings. If you set your game to "Offline", you get immediate improvements to framerate and stability. What the hell?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has an unbelievably lovely early game. It's an old school turn-based roguelike that miraculously is a lot more penetrable and streamlined than you might expect (it's not like the Perfect Roguelike DoomRL, but it's close). Once you get a few floors deep into the dungeon, by Lair of Beasts or so, you have a lot of tools and gear stockpiled so if RNG doesn't go your way you can use one of your blinking scrolls or haste potions or whatever to get out of it -- usually if you die at that point, it's probably your fault for mishandling a bad situation somehow. But in the early game, you most likely don't have those tools, or if you do have them they aren't identified yet so you have to blindly ID them out of desperation, so in a bad situation on an early floor you can just be fuckin' dead. And there are some pretty threatening enemies in the early floors for a low-level character: adders move faster than you, have high evasion and poison you on hit, meaning not only can you actually just lose a fight straight-up against them, but if you choose to avoid the fight or disengage they can catch up to you anyway. Orc Priests have an unavoidable spell called smite that never misses, can hit you from any range if they can see you, and ignores resistances that you probably don't have anyway... so if they choose to use that spell three times in a row (or if there are more than one) you're just dead if you can't get behind cover. Early-game unique enemies like Grinder can continuously paralyze you from range and can teleport away from you, and even ghosts from other dead players probably have higher stats than you do because player ghosts don't actually have player stats, so you will probably lose a heads-up fight against an early ghost, which seems a little weird but whatever.

It just sucks, it's super frustrating, you have to play at peak performance in the early game because you have very limited escape tools and no gear, and careful play often times won't save you. Doubly so if you're playing a race/class that's a late bloomer. And if you spend a day and a half trying to get one goddamn run off the ground you're probably tilting even harder and less likely to get a run going. Once you do get going the game is a ton of fun and has a really smooth difficulty curve (although the game is still very hard) but the bullshit is really front-loaded and it stinks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, Gundam Breaker 2 was a really fun game with some arcady gameplay and free DLC every month that added some simple missions and new dudes to collect.

Gundam Breaker 3 is really fun, the gameplay is a bit more stale since there's only like three mission types but the customization is way more fun. But now the DLC isn't free and I'm sad about that. The free DLC was what kept bringing me back to GB2 every month to play around, make a new dude and collect new bits. I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for the next five DLC packs, especially since there's only like one unit in each pack I want. But it's disappointing all the same.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PYF thing dragging this game down: Borderlands 2 is loving garbage and a disgrace.

Little thing dragging down Overwatch, for me: It's hard to get into a game where people are OK picking congruent heroes, unless you play competitive, where people are so salty it takes the fun out of it. If you're on the losing side, there's a good chance people yell, call each other cancer etc. I'm in EU and a lot of the time I don't even speak the language I'm being shouted at in.

I like the game and it's overall a good time, but goddamn I wish there was a way to play semi-seriously. I can only imagine how toxic stuff like CSGO or CoD would be these days.

well why not has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Dec 6, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm amazed at how often if someone is being a shithead in chat on BF1 then everyone just dogpiles on them.
Shame about LMGs being awful in it though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Multiplayer is bad because it involves dealing with other humans. I never play MP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got Titanfall 2 the other day and most of the people in chat seem to be really nice! Unfortunately about three people play it so everyone needs to buy it because it's good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm amazed at how often if someone is being a shithead in chat on BF1 then everyone just dogpiles on them.

I wonder if it's because Battlefield games aren't even remotely competitive, so everyone's just there to chill and shoot mans.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if it's because Battlefield games aren't even remotely competitive, so everyone's just there to chill and shoot mans.

I think it has more to do with the fact that if someone is being lovely in chat, it's almost always a sniper or ace pilot; the biggest group of whiny babies I've ever seen online. making GBS threads on them feels cathartic for everyone, often leading to both teams agreeing on how stupid that person is :unsmith:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
There's a BF4 server I play on that usually has the same people on it, and there's this one guy that just loving bitches in chat the whole time he's on there. He's max level, he's got to have everything unlocked, but he just can't bear the thought of his win ratio taking a hit. It's bizarre. He eventually rage quits, every time.

Content: Tyranny is a cool and fun game, but during battles where there's more than a few enemies the screen gets so busy with circles and triangles and lines indicating engagement it can be difficult to tell just what the hell is going on. There's symbols showing what specific action an enemy or player is doing, but actually seeing the battle itself is almost impossible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most shooter communities are a sight worse than many other games but battlefield definitely had the best of what I've played. Rainbow 6 siege probably the worst, although I bounced off of that game fairly hard so I don't have hundreds of hours of sample size

Team fortress 2 is the only competitive game I've played that I'd say had a good community though. So many people in the servers I frequented were content with just goofing around or at least not getting Hardcore Serious about it. Spycrabs on the front lines and heavies who did nothing but go for tauntkills were not uncommon.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I find MOBAs horrible to play if the chat system is turned on, any tiny fuckup and your team dogpiles on you.

God help you if you are a healer and didn't heal that DPS on the other side of the map.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well MOBAs are cancer represented as software and their communities know how to act the part

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Digirat posted:

Most shooter communities are a sight worse than many other games but battlefield definitely had the best of what I've played. Rainbow 6 siege probably the worst, although I bounced off of that game fairly hard so I don't have hundreds of hours of sample size

Team fortress 2 is the only competitive game I've played that I'd say had a good community though. So many people in the servers I frequented were content with just goofing around or at least not getting Hardcore Serious about it. Spycrabs on the front lines and heavies who did nothing but go for tauntkills were not uncommon.

the only thing that bugs me with tf2 is that you can have a chunk of your team idling in spawn for god know what reason while the other team steam rolls over your efforts. that and the usual idiot who mic spams whatever song he thinks is cool/is so annoying that he'll troll the server with it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think how good the community in the game is usually comes down to how important an individual player is.

In Call of Duty and MOBAs a single person can make or break each round and the players are quick to blame or take credit. In Battlefield you need your team to work together, but one guy loving around doesn't really affect things. You can even have half your team sniping, and you will, and usually still have a fighting chance.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Digirat posted:

Oh, R6 playerbase is awful. I have over a hundred hours at that game, and outside of fighting games have I never seen such a toxic community. I've complained about it in the Games thread for it too, but the fact that the game has a vote kick mechanic just causes people to always try and kick out the player that's the last of their team alive; leading to the mindset that the longer you live = the worse you are. Last guy taking his time, skillfully taking out the enemy team one by one? What an rear end in a top hat, wasting everyone's time! (tbf the latest patch or such seemed to make it so the entire team has to vote to kick one guy, instead of most of them)

Plus I've got a depressing amount of pissed of messages in that game, and I played a ton of CoD games over the years. People in those were waay more chill, despite their reputation. Good game otherwise!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I played a lot of modern warfare 1 and 2 on PC and hardly ever saw people throw slurs around, even though I would not say people were at all pleasant/non-abusive. But probably half the games of siege I played featured someone calling someone a human being, intentional teamkilling at the start of the round, harassment/abuse, or the winning team being rude pricks.

Pushed me away pretty quickly since I also had philosophical issues with the way the game was designed. Co-op shooters by contrast are my favorite genre because 90% of the players are there to chill out and shoot some cops/rats after work.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Digirat posted:

Pushed me away pretty quickly since I also had philosophical issues with the way the game was designed.

can you go into a little detail on that? I haven't tried it so I'm just curious if there's something that's different in R6 compared to other shooters

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The thing dragging a lot of bad games down for me is when they have a fun or inventive enough aspect that it just keeps my attention. I just can't leave them be at a certain level, I have to know what the devs gave me to play with w/r/t level design or tools, even if the tools are subpar. After rewatching the Bargain Bin vids I started emulating Ace LIghtning for a laugh to see how bad it was for myself - then I got invested because I didn't expect the level design to actually be fun and engaging. Every level so far has felt like it's own thing, and kept me invested on that level. I got nearly halfway through it before reaching a point where I'd need to grind lives, as it kept throwing things at me that, god help me, I found Fun. A Hedge Maze level that was too long for it's own good, too many enemies, lost most of my lives to it, but I never felt lost. The level was varied and well designed enough that I always knew how to get to the next area, as even when secret walls opened there was a handy statue there as a visual landmark. THis is the kind of poo poo that gets me my reputation - when a bad game refuses to let itself be bad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

can you go into a little detail on that? I haven't tried it so I'm just curious if there's something that's different in R6 compared to other shooters

Mostly the fact that the TTK is incredibly short (largely due to the fact that a headshot is an unconditional instakill--the weapon, the amount of armor the character has, and the amount of material penetrated before hitting the head makes no difference against a headshot); combined with the fact that the game heavily rewards detailed map knowledge, so players know exactly where to shoot tiny peepholes in the environment that allow them to see you and instakill you without you being able to do anything about it until you know that's A Spot where it happens.

It's a game with no respawning and heavy environmental destructibility, but where your deaths tend to come instantly and without warning, which makes it extremely hard to learn what you should actually do differently. So coming in as a new player now leaves you in a place where not only is everyone much better than you, but it's also hard to learn how to improve without just grinding away at losses for a really long time until you have the same detailed map knowledge the other players do.

I don't think most of these complaints are inherent problems with the game but they make it really hard for me personally to enjoy it.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Inco posted:

Also chiming in with Borderlands 2. The game ran well on an AMD Phenom II with a Radeon HD6870 in 2013, but now I've got an Intel i5-4690 and an nVidia GTX970 and it runs like poo poo with PhysX off and everything else turned down.

Except when you turn off the network settings. If you set your game to "Offline", you get immediate improvements to framerate and stability. What the hell?

Ah, that's my exact graphics card and CPU. I suppose i'm not alone on that, then.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, I'd be kinda mad about that, because when I play something I like to do it myself and not have someone invalidate the task completely, even if it's tedious and using a guide. Some of the flags could be in interesting areas that there is otherwise no reason to see - I mean, they aren't, but he'll never know for sure.

Nah. He beat the game, and was looking over the achievement list going "gently caress. I want to just get everything in this game but, gently caress. I don't want to play it again."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Suikoden Teirkreis is so close to being a pretty good rpg but there are a couple of things that ruin it. Ignoring it killing my favorite series, the scale of the game is all over the place. The main threat is strong enough to erase world's but there are no larger scale battles that you get to actually be involved in, instead any army battles are instead just one or two regular fights without anything special to them.

The other thing is that the English voice acting was trash but that problem is negated using a Japanese version patched with English text.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Tyranny
Maybe it's the ending/path I chose, but the final segments were pretty weak. With endgame gear and stats, I could walk into each engagement and my team would turn any group into hamburger, on Hard. [Good things: 2-handed weapons and the Power(?) talent tree :getin:]. Most of the game is group vs group fighting so you have to carefully assign who is fighting who, but my endboss was just one guy who summoned illusions that I ignored as I had my team drop enormous crits on him. I do see there's at least five major endings though, so maybe I just got off easy.

My second play through I turned on Expert mode, wherein it disables a lot of information hints, such as dialog options you don't have the requirements to use and the FF-style ATB timers over everyone's head. It's great... except it also disables AOE ability indicators, so unless you know exactly how big a 2 meter spell is, or the shape of a 8-meter 115 degree arc, you're probably going to miss things or have to direct-target abilities (which causes them to track, but you lose the opportunity to hit 3+ enemies reliably, maybe getting one). Also I decided to go mage this time so :argh: [Good things: magic in general is a delight]

Also as far as I can tell, the Forge is the only spire upgrade worth buying, the rest are barely worth the time it takes to click on them

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Dec 7, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need the spire to get a 75+ trainer for Lore.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Lone Badger posted:

You need the spire to get a 75+ trainer for Lore.

Which comes from the otherwise useless infirmary

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pokemon Sun/Moon: Learning that the Houndoom Shirt is exclusive to Sun version.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. Archespores with their stupid teleporting, pods that Geralt always auto-targets instrad of the monster itself, their stupid loving hyper-accurate spitting attack they spam at every opportunity and their stupidly large HP pools. gently caress them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Pokemon Sun/Moon: Learning that the Houndoom Shirt is exclusive to Sun version.

Which shirt does moon get?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that really kills any sense of accomplishment in FFXV when you're doing side missions is how whenever you complete one they almost always have another just ready to go. It never really feels like you're getting anything done because there's always something else to do right away.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I love Battlefield, and this might be a gripe that can be solved by not playing on consoles, but the autoaim in BF1 completely shits itself if there's more than one guy in your sights. So many times I've been aiming at a dude just to have my muzzle wander over to some rando in the background. 64 player games often tend to have players bunching up, which gets frustrating.

Oh and also Argonne Forest is a loving annoying map goddamn. Meat grinder maps have been consistently annoying in the series. Nothing has been as bad as Operation Metro thankfully.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Glukeose posted:

Nothing has been as bad as Operation Metro thankfully.

Metro is a great map. :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what the gently caress is with the opening of dead rising 4

one of frank's students drives him to a military base at willamette against his will because she heard they're doing Illegal Things with human test subjects, and it quickly goes from her wanting the Inside Scoop to "oh my god frank how can you just take PICTURES of this? these are people and they're in pain, how can you just crack jokes?!" In the span of half an hour, she goes from knowing exactly what she was getting into, to screaming at frank, who didn't even want to be there, for lovely jokes about the situation and taking pictures of the Illegal Things that they came to take pictures of, to alerting the entire army to their location because :qq: the ZOMBIE is in PAIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Prototype 2 bluescreened my computer.

I didn't even know that was still possible!