Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

I hate the constant CCP API changes so, please :frogon:

CREST kill APIs aren't really discoverable (which is why zkill relies on individual permissions), so you can only really use the them to check back once you have both an ID and a Hash. There, I am only really using zkill as a convenient way to get active player IDs & names, because CREST only lets you look up characters by ID but its rate-limiting is low enough that you can't sensibly loop through possible IDs (and they will stop using incrementing IDs soon-ish), let alone just gather semi-random IDs.

There is a reason capri's local scan tools tell you that it should be "reasonably quick" for scans that have lots of members of big alliances, and that it will take a long while otherwise. Essentially, I presume he regularly pulls all members of alliances. I'm not sure how df does it, but basically, unless you can somehow prefetch character data, any local scan utility will be forbiddingly slow. There are too many corner cases, and some things are only possible with the XML API (mid-sized local scans are still feasible to be pulled directly from it), while CREST has a few other things that don't work via XML. It's really, really stupid, but it beats actually playing EVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Klyith posted:

Also somewhere here on SA he wrote a giant ask me thread about his time in Iraq. It's very good though depressing to see all the huge :siren:PTSD case:siren: warning signs and know he never could get get mentally fixed. :(

It was an amazing, depressing, borderline-unbelievable read that got me into checking out A/T for a long time. His claimed bodycount, as I remember, was like 1944-strategic-bomber-bombardier-doing-area-saturation-over-cities high.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Endie posted:

It was an amazing, depressing, borderline-unbelievable read that got me into checking out A/T for a long time. His claimed bodycount, as I remember, was like 1944-strategic-bomber-bombardier-doing-area-saturation-over-cities high.

The unfortunate reality is that between A/T and GIP, goons have had many opportunities to become exposed to well-documented tragedies.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hollow Talk posted:

CREST kill APIs aren't really discoverable (which is why zkill relies on individual permissions), so you can only really use the them to check back once you have both an ID and a Hash. There, I am only really using zkill as a convenient way to get active player IDs & names, because CREST only lets you look up characters by ID but its rate-limiting is low enough that you can't sensibly loop through possible IDs (and they will stop using incrementing IDs soon-ish), let alone just gather semi-random IDs.

They are intentionally undiscoverable. For two reasons:

1) Noobman and other wormhole CSMs heavily lobbied to make it so, because for some reason they want that

2) The IDs used to be predictable because they were a hash of the person, ship type, system, and date. So it was possible to generate sets of possible hashes and request them all until one finally returned a non-null result -- and thus, you could get people's ships/fits from their TQ practices on Sisi. (AT is srs bzns)

So, the hash now includes the X/Y/Z coordinates of the ship at the time of its death, making it near impossible to brute force

Hollow Talk posted:

There is a reason capri's local scan tools tell you that it should be "reasonably quick" for scans that have lots of members of big alliances, and that it will take a long while otherwise. Essentially, I presume he regularly pulls all members of alliances. I'm not sure how df does it, but basically, unless you can somehow prefetch character data, any local scan utility will be forbiddingly slow. There are too many corner cases, and some things are only possible with the XML API (mid-sized local scans are still feasible to be pulled directly from it), while CREST has a few other things that don't work via XML. It's really, really stupid, but it beats actually playing EVE.

Yeah, I've honestly had more pleasure writing tools against Eve / for Eve than I do actually playing Eve at times

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

the cultural revolution was about

ethics in gaming journalism

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ullerrm posted:

They are intentionally undiscoverable. For two reasons:

1) Noobman and other wormhole CSMs heavily lobbied to make it so, because for some reason they want that

2) The IDs used to be predictable because they were a hash of the person, ship type, system, and date. So it was possible to generate sets of possible hashes and request them all until one finally returned a non-null result -- and thus, you could get people's ships/fits from their TQ practices on Sisi. (AT is srs bzns)

So, the hash now includes the X/Y/Z coordinates of the ship at the time of its death, making it near impossible to brute force

Yeah, I've honestly had more pleasure writing tools against Eve / for Eve than I do actually playing Eve at times

Cheers! The second point makes a whole lot of sense and explains why they aren't discoverable anymore. I guess the first point means they have at least somewhat more control about their killmail data to avoid using it as intel, since they can try to not have APIs registered in zkill, so the only things that would automatically get posted and (thus made public) would be encounters with people who do have their APIs in zkill. Otherwise, you can get information about losses to NPCs, self-kills (more relevant perhaps for cyno characters, though I guess that matters for HK when it comes to k-space, and it matters for super pilots) and -- thanks to the recent capital changes -- you can also get basically live intel about people ratting in caps/supers if they just happen to lose a fighter. I presume it's really just an attempt to have at least slightly less data available compared to other groups who are less careful. I'd think of it more as an issue for super pilots, because if you pop your cyno, you will end up in a bunch of databases.

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

Can we please war on somebody so Asher will make podcasts? Thx.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ullerrm posted:

making it near impossible to brute force

:)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

If you have a reliable way to make a SHA-1 collision without spending ~$50K on EC2 compute time, there are better uses of it than internet spaceships

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

ullerrm posted:

(AT is srs bzns)

it is, though, especially when each ship goes for around 150b now

winning 1 AT would provide enough isk to build a serious supercap fleet

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

it is, though, especially when each ship goes for around 150b now

winning 1 AT would provide enough isk to build a serious supercap fleet

Clearly this is why PL came in second place, they already had the supercap fleet and thus didn't want it enough

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Clearly this is why PL came in second place, they already had the supercap fleet and thus didn't want it enough

ccp apparently told dancul that if bluemelon brought out the RSI again the DC match wouldn't have counted, but it wasn't worth a potential 3.5t lossmail

quality gaming company indeed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

ccp apparently told dancul that if bluemelon brought out the RSI again the DC match wouldn't have counted, but it wasn't worth a potential 3.5t lossmail

what on earth does this gibberish mean

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And TLC's fort is dead: https://zkillboard.com/kill/57989964/

:rip:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

what on earth does this gibberish mean

i ask the same thing whenever i read your posts

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

raven state issue? Your story doesn't make any sense.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

raven state issue?

yeah, apparently there was the issue that the dumbo rules made everyone fly bhaalgorns, and having something like this on the field would spice up the AT

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

i ask the same thing whenever i read your posts

and whenever you read a book, newspaper, or a learn to read workbook for kindergartners

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
ccp is corrupt broken and stupid, news at 7

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Landsknecht posted:

:ccp:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Landsknecht posted:

:laffo: bullshit

the AT isn't big deal esports, it only matters to eve players and even among them it's only a segment of the base. I think CCP has realized that, shown by the smaller resources it got this year (no cast of first weekend, fewer commentators, lots of labor-of-love unpaid work). if veritas hadn't made the automated tools to reduce the workload, they probably would have cut down to 32 teams or some other 2-weekend format by now. the AT is cool but it doesn't sell the game.

if CCP had really made that offer, bluemelon accepted, and the RSI got killed, it might have made news in gaming websites, but nothing big.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

tbh it's kinda bullshit when 8 of the players of a match (including players on both teams) that the match isn't replayed

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Klyith posted:

:laffo: bullshit

the AT isn't big deal esports, it only matters to eve players and even among them it's only a segment of the base. I think CCP has realized that, shown by the smaller resources it got this year (no cast of first weekend, fewer commentators, lots of labor-of-love unpaid work). if veritas hadn't made the automated tools to reduce the workload, they probably would have cut down to 32 teams or some other 2-weekend format by now. the AT is cool but it doesn't sell the game.

if CCP had really made that offer, bluemelon accepted, and the RSI got killed, it might have made news in gaming websites, but nothing big.

i think ccp's intent was that there would be a big "this player lost a $50k ship in a tournament" ahead of the new f2p eve thing, generating both mainstream and gaming media exposure

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

what if the dcs were intentional from the CCP side?

really makes you think huh

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

not really

now that eve-bet is closed, the only interesting part of the AT (who fixes matches with whom) has been removed :smithfrog:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
though speaking of which, I hope they do change the format next year. the current one is already kinda stale, and without betting on matches the next one is gonna be pretty boring.

Landsknecht posted:

i think ccp's intent was that there would be a big "this player lost a $50k ship in a tournament" ahead of the new f2p eve thing, generating both mainstream and gaming media exposure
it would have been a 2-paragraph small headline on the sites that run 20 stories a day. it doesn't have nearly as much interest behind it as a big war or the tyrax thork kill.

OTOH if bluemelon had pressed screenshot and put it up immediately it would have been a much bigger story that would have been incredibly damaging to them, probably ended the AT, and gotten ccpguy fired. duh.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

tbh it's kinda bullshit when 8 of the players of a match (including players on both teams) that the match isn't replayed
as long as the game is happening on a the live server, you can't re-run games based on things that could be used to game the results. next year half the teams would have a ddos ready to go.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

poo poo happens, tho. (Mostly, it drips on players' heads.)

I'm still bitter about Laz and I doing the Amarr Championships. "Oooh, T1 Amarr Frigates only... but whoops, we forgot to add the Magnate to the tournament bot, so it insists that your legal team comp is invalid and prevents us from starting the match. But we don't want to delay the tournament to fix the bot. So, instead, you've got 10 minutes to make a new comp that doesn't include a Magnate -- oh and btw we're gonna RP in local and poo poo on you for slowing down the tournament."

After that experience, I have no desire to do anything tournament-related in Eve unless it involves putting as much egg on CCP's face as humanly possible.

loving magnates, how do they work

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Klyith posted:

as long as the game is happening on a the live server, you can't re-run games based on things that could be used to game the results. next year half the teams would have a ddos ready to go.

it'd be laughably easy to ddos a couple of random key members every game and i'm also pretty sure it was a CCP issue, as a bunch of people all over eve socket closed.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

ullerrm posted:

poo poo happens, tho. (Mostly, it drips on players' heads.)

I'm still bitter about Laz and I doing the Amarr Championships. "Oooh, T1 Amarr Frigates only... but whoops, we forgot to add the Magnate to the tournament bot, so it insists that your legal team comp is invalid and prevents us from starting the match. But we don't want to delay the tournament to fix the bot. So, instead, you've got 10 minutes to make a new comp that doesn't include a Magnate -- oh and btw we're gonna RP in local and poo poo on you for slowing down the tournament."

After that experience, I have no desire to do anything tournament-related in Eve unless it involves putting as much egg on CCP's face as humanly possible.

loving magnates, how do they work

this is the dumb poo poo that ccp does that absolutely infuriates me

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

it'd be laughably easy to ddos a couple of random key members every game and i'm also pretty sure it was a CCP issue, as a bunch of people all over eve socket closed.

it would be even easier to ddos yourself if you didn't like your match line up

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

ullerrm posted:

After that experience, I have no desire to do anything in Eve unless it involves putting as much egg on CCP's face as humanly possible.

most gsf members eventually reach this point

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Reverand maynard posted:

it would be even easier to ddos yourself if you didn't like your match line up

yeah but ddossing yourself and your enemies when you can easily win by ddosing a single player on the enemy team? hmmmm

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I like how he says "our" history like he's a part of it or knows gently caress all about it. In short, shut the gently caress up daco.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

That Works posted:

One of our own gamma people made an MSPaint suicide note for RoyofCA that was just "DBRB shut up"

It was pretty funny.

RoyofCA was also pretty funny but also sadly it was not terribly surprising when we found out he had killed himself. He was always quite erratic.

while looking for that one i also found a boy and his blob

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
yeah gently caress you guys too

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

At least Roy was classy and called in his suicide so that no kids would find him.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

same

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Daco Vato posted:

yeah gently caress you guys too

why are you so upset i dont understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CainFortea posted:

At least Roy was classy and called in his suicide so that no kids would find him.

yeah doming yourself in a rental car at a heavily trafficked scenic vista is classy

• Locked thread