Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

As if anyone is ever going to respec anyway. We're going to full nerd theorycraft the absolute mathematically optimal skill selection way ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

DancingShade posted:

As if anyone is ever going to respec anyway. We're going to full nerd theorycraft the absolute mathematically optimal skill selection way ahead of time.

And then they're going to buff machineguns to do 50 damage a bullet at 1000m while making the PPC have 400 heat per shot and we will have to respec all over again.

Well, okay, maybe not that drastic but you get the idea. The balance of what you want to equip on a mech generally changes every few months due to factors outside your control.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I guess there might be some positives to this model, like permafucking bads.

See Eveonline re: repeated pod-killing or Day1 jump-fatigue changes. In the first instance, people would be coerced into losing all their accumulated skillpoints, in the second, people who didn't keep up on patch notes logged in and after jumping their capital ship a few times found they had to wait six months to jump it again. Both cases were eventually removed, and softened, respectively.

Nothing like having a progress-resetting treadmill in your game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Both of the above make good points.

It also bears repeating during this time of change that buffs and nerfs may come and go but hardpoints and geometry don't change. Pick your mechs accordingly folks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DancingShade posted:

Both of the above make good points.

It also bears repeating during this time of change that buffs and nerfs may come and go but hardpoints and geometry don't change. Pick your mechs accordingly folks.

read: buy clan mechs forever mostly

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Azuth0667 posted:

My poor PPC awesome :unsmith:.

That Jenner was all :nyd:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The cost of mechs is already prohibitive

I've shown the respec model to people who were interested and but hesitant but it made them recoil into not wanting to play

Paying for respecs is horribly discouraging mechanically unless the cost is almost a token (say, 50k cbills) and gives the user all their stuff back.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Swiller of Beer posted:

That Jenner was all :nyd:

I have an excuse to master the awesome now at least so I can fit 2x ppc modules and 2x erppc modules.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ZenVulgarity posted:

The cost of mechs is already prohibitive

I've shown the respec model to people who were interested and but hesitant but it made them recoil into not wanting to play

Paying for respecs is horribly discouraging mechanically unless the cost is almost a token (say, 50k cbills) and gives the user all their stuff back.

Note that it sounds like if you want your stuff back it will cost MC.

Yeah gently caress you :pgi:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just when I was thinking about maybe rampaging around in my stupid Atlas again, welp guess not!
Wait, can I not sell mechs? Goddamn this interface is bad.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 7, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hopefully it's not that awful. Getting half back for a small amount of CB or all for a little MC seems reasonable. then as long as you can have extra xp banked (which you will if you use the robot frequently) all you've really lost is some potential XP to convert and a match worth of CB.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hope you guys have high hopes for MW 5 :allears:

So after the franchise dies again after the new single player, how long do you think it will take for another stab at it? Will Star Citizen come out first?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Mechs are popular, so sometime soon I imagine. Just not Battletech universe maybe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WebDO posted:

So after the franchise dies again after the new single player, how long do you think it will take for another stab at it? Will Star Citizen come out first?

I hope not, because "never" isn't "eventually."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WebDO posted:

Hope you guys have high hopes for MW 5 :allears:

It depends on what you define as "the franchise." If you're talking the MW universe in general we've got that :krad: battletech game coming out, and those guys have a habit of making sequels to their poo poo so that might be a train that keeps on chugging.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It depends on what you define as "the franchise." If you're talking the MW universe in general we've got that :krad: battletech game coming out, and those guys have a habit of making sequels to their poo poo so that might be a train that keeps on chugging.

I'm well aware that a good developer is going to make a good game based in the franchise using the only good thing to come out of PGI - the art.

But since a good developer isn't making MW5...And a good developer doesn't currently hold the franchise rights...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WebDO posted:

I'm well aware that a good developer is going to make a good game based in the franchise using the only good thing to come out of PGI - the art.

But since a good developer isn't making MW5...And a good developer doesn't currently hold the franchise rights...

Don't PGI's rights to the MW portion of the license expire in a couple years? I thought I saw someone mention up-thread how they were probably squeezing out MW5 now because it's a poo poo or get off the pot moment.

I'm sure I'll hate myself for this in a few years, but goddamn microsoft spend some of that money you're getting licensing office as a loving subscription service and claw that one back.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

aniviron posted:

And then they're going to buff machineguns to do 50 damage a bullet at 1000m while making the PPC have 400 heat per shot and we will have to respec all over again.

Well, okay, maybe not that drastic but you get the idea. The balance of what you want to equip on a mech generally changes every few months due to factors outside your control.

:pgi: tire balancing :pgi:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Dreadwroth posted:

Just when I was thinking about maybe rampaging around in my stupid Atlas again, welp guess not!

Go to the inventory tab on the left of the main screen to sell things, like mechs, you don't need.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, the grid iron of all things has really clicked for me. I'm running 2 UAC5 in it with modules and really tearing poo poo up. I know it's just a crappier versoin of a 4G build, but it's good enough and I'm picking up some good c-bills with that 30% bouns

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Dreadwroth posted:

Only ones you can't sell are (L) loyalty variants. But they came with their associated bays anyways so just think of them as free and ignore em if you dont like em.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just thought of somehtign: if they make the xp grind for skills as nuts as it looks like they might the (C) variants might actually be useful again.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just thought of somehtign: if they make the xp grind for skills as nuts as it looks like they might the (C) variants might actually be useful again.

I thought it was limited to experience per variant still?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artificer posted:

I thought it was limited to experience per variant still?

Yeah, I'm just saying that if it requires 400k exp or whatever to max out a mech after the changes, the C variants are going to get there that much quicker.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying that if it requires 400k exp or whatever to max out a mech after the changes, the C variants are going to get there that much quicker.

You are really freaking out over placeholder values briefly seen in a demo.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

You are really freaking out over placeholder values briefly seen in a demo.

Counterpoint: :pgi:

I'll hold off until I see the changes live, but "hope" is in short supply.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/806569664918659072

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On the one hand, I totally agree that it's dumb everyone is freaking out over a placeholder value; it seems unlikely they are gonna make it 750k xp to master a mech.

On the other, we have definitely seen "placeholder" values in MWO previews before that went on to become actual values, many times. I'm glad people are freaking out about it so that it doesn't come to pass.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

thats better than a complete reset, also gives xp past mastery meaning now

whats the new meta for IS I havent really played since they rebalanced quirks over 10%

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Dying to night gyrs and kodiak 3s is the new meta

Commoners fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Commoners posted:

Dying to night gyrs and kodiak 3s is the new meta

and not even to the good kind of kodiak 3s like you'd want

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It makes me sad that the KDK3 is so cancerous to this game, I just want a fun assault with double 20-class autocannons, which is what the KDK3 is by default. But then eeeeeveryone has to go poo poo it up with quad ultras etc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

aniviron posted:

On the one hand, I totally agree that it's dumb everyone is freaking out over a placeholder value; it seems unlikely they are gonna make it 750k xp to master a mech.

On the other, we have definitely seen "placeholder" values in MWO previews before that went on to become actual values, many times. I'm glad people are freaking out about it so that it doesn't come to pass.

I don't think you have ever played WoT *shudders*

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, the grid iron of all things has really clicked for me. I'm running 2 UAC5 in it with modules and really tearing poo poo up. I know it's just a crappier versoin of a 4G build, but it's good enough and I'm picking up some good c-bills with that 30% bouns

Alright, I'll bite. what build/engine size are you using here?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Jack2142 posted:

I don't think you have ever played WoT *shudders*

Yeah if they bring that grind here it will be time to :yikes:.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aniviron posted:

It makes me sad that the KDK3 is so cancerous to this game, I just want a fun assault with double 20-class autocannons, which is what the KDK3 is by default. But then eeeeeveryone has to go poo poo it up with quad ultras etc.

They really hosed up by giving it 4 mounts, and hosed up epicly by mounting them so high.

TheParadigm posted:

Alright, I'll bite. what build/engine size are you using here?

STD 240 engine, 2x UAC 5, 1 DHS (required - not like it needs it), and whatever 150 rounds of ammo is in tons. I think 4.5? It's pretty simple. Throw on a UAC5 cooldown module for extra fun times. It's easy to put together, that's just what I cobbled with what I had laying around. It runs a little short on ammo if it's a long engagement, but I feel like it's about right. The only really critical thing is to have enough ammo to last most of a fight and be going fast enough that you're not crippled. YOu don't need to be speedy, just reasonably mobile.

Corner poke and hill hump all day every day.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What are you guys using on your gargoyles? My group ended up on on the same side as WoL a couple times and was wondering what builds you were using.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

They really hosed up by giving it 4 mounts, and hosed up epicly by mounting them so high.

Well, I heard an interesting thing lately. It was someone who cross referenced a list of NGNG's favourite mechs, the ones they were constantly begging to have in the game, and mechs that got released with super high mounts. Turned out to be a 1:1 match. Only mech that didn't match was the CPLT-K2 which was in the first set of mechs released, but lo and behold upon remodeling the low nose MG mounts become just as high as the PPCs.

I hope you share taste in mechs with Phil & Daeron.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I still have too much money so I decided to buy an Orion because gently caress it I don't really care if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Finster Dexter posted:

What are you guys using on your gargoyles? My group ended up on on the same side as WoL a couple times and was wondering what builds you were using.

Two ERPPCs, seven heat sinks, and two small lasers in the CT. You just run around blasting things with the PPCs.

• Locked thread