Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentF posted:

The "can't be avoided" seems like a deliberate tweak; it's not a common enough phrase to be used without reconsideration of the card. I wonder what they had in mind that convinced them of the term's inclusion.

Not wanting a repeat of Jesminder literally blanking Argus's ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It was in response to the Jesminder meta that will never happen.

Sol is pretty strong with the trifecta of Keegan, Data Ward, and Data Raven, you can do some quality rig shootin while never advancing agendas.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Do you have a list? I spent ages a few months ago trying to get Keegan to work and couldn't really make it happen.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Zephro posted:

Do you have a list? I spent ages a few months ago trying to get Keegan to work and couldn't really make it happen.

Mind you this isn't optimized at at all. I haven't' been able to get enough reps in. I can't decide between resistors or wraparounds. Old list had restructures. Playing more would probably help me out on this...

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/822372

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Wraparound is a lot better than Resistor right now IMO because of all the link/power tap decks running around.

Here's a little bit different take on NBN glacier that I've had some success with, using Sync instead of Sol, although it still needs work. I'm not 100% satisfied with the ice, and I'm not sure whether I should be finding space for tag punishment beyond Kegan and Data Ward. I was also running sub boost for a while, which is cute with data ward.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/817016

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 2, 2016

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Static Equilibrium posted:

Wraparound is a lot better than Resistor right now IMO because of all the link/power tap decks running around.

poo poo yeah you are right..Those dang andy taps

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm seriously considering taking a shot at a deck built around tag-reliant ICE for the hilarity of slapping sub boosts on all the bandwidths and gutenbergs and friends.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Sub boosting a data ward isn't the worst idea but slots

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

sonatinas posted:

Sub boosting a data ward isn't the worst idea but slots
The perennial problem with Corp deckbuilding :/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sonatinas posted:

poo poo yeah you are right..Those dang andy taps

Guy who has been slowing buying up all the copies of Net Police in a misguided attempt at #mtgfinance: Finally, my day has come...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Guy who has been slowing buying up all the copies of Net Police in a misguided attempt at #mtgfinance: Finally, my day has come...
I've been playing a (bad) Door to Door deck that runs one in case of Nexus Kate :v:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

After giving up on trying to make stealth work in my local meta (asset spam and NBN is everywhere) I cobbled together a Nexus Chaos Theory deck. It's working way better than I expected. The extra MU lets you have Opus out for the entire game, barring a program trash, and it just makes it so much easier to set everything up.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
As posted in the Goon League thread:
Congratulations to Destrado for winning Jinteki Goon League 0010!

I'm going to be creating a new league soon, but probably not immediately in order to play around the holidays a little better for everyone. Thanks for participating and I hope to have you back next time!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kaethela posted:

After giving up on trying to make stealth work in my local meta (asset spam and NBN is everywhere) I cobbled together a Nexus Chaos Theory deck. It's working way better than I expected. The extra MU lets you have Opus out for the entire game, barring a program trash, and it just makes it so much easier to set everything up.
I've been playing with this as well, it sucks to lose the Kate discount but the extra MU is, as you say, really handy for fitting SMCs in alongside Opus and so on.

On the asset-spam NBN thing, increasingly it seems to me like Corp deckbuilding is stuck in a pretty unhealthy corner, at least if you want to build something competitive. Between Blackmail recursion (now with added En Passant bullshit) and Rumour Mill glacier is almost completely dead. Blackmail and turbocharged runner economies makes Rush/Supermodernism feel pretty weak as well. HB fast advance can work, and so can combo kill decks out of NBN, but neither feels reliably solid. CTM is absurdly strong, to the point where you can still win even against decks that are teched fairly heavily against it, but apart from that it feels like there aren't many competitive archetypes at all.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Citadel/power tap decks absolutely crush CTM and it looks like people are completely jumping ship locally because of it--there were two store champs this weekend and CTM missed the cut on Saturday and was 0% of the field Sunday. Part of it might be that people hate playing it and were looking for any excuse, but man that is a tough matchup for the corp.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

While I was playtesting on Jinteki I went up against a Sol who kept playing Targeted Marketing on Power Tap or Citadel Sanctuary. I don't run either of those, sucker. :smug:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Static Equilibrium posted:

Citadel/power tap decks absolutely crush CTM and it looks like people are completely jumping ship locally because of it--there were two store champs this weekend and CTM missed the cut on Saturday and was 0% of the field Sunday. Part of it might be that people hate playing it and were looking for any excuse, but man that is a tough matchup for the corp.
That's interesting (and also encouraging). I'm guessing those runner decks don't do so well against HB FA or whatever?

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Hi all. Was sent here from the Boardgames thread.

Good friend of mine from MtG recently gifted me all this as he moved across the country and never really got into it. I've played a handful of games with the precons and enjoyed it enough that I'd like to get good.

What's the best way to fast track this process? Should I just netdeck and fumble my way through local meetups for a while?

How is the player base? MtG people were always very click-ish when I played.

I saw a couple of local meetups I'm going to try to go to after I figure out a deck but thought I'd ask here before I go.
Thanks.

Edit: Oh yes! What's the best way to sort all this and get it out of these boxes? Just binders?

dblankenship81 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 7, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Welcome to Netrunner! That looks like a lot of unopened boxes, so that's gonna be fun- read the box inserts for some fun flavour text. At the moment you are missing about 10 data packs, but that's not a big deal.

Personally, I sort them into binders, and I find that it's the easiest way to sort everything out. I do it by faction then release order, but there are a variety of ways that make it easy for you. In general binders are easier, but I have seen people use the big white mass card boxes.

As for the players, I find that they're less cliquey and far more helpful. Yeah, you'll get your jerks (particularly online), but I think it comes down to a much smaller playerbase. If you drive players from playing in your area because of toxicity, then that's 1 less player to play with. With already such a niche game that makes it difficult to find games, the players keep their toxicity down to make sure that players come back.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berenzen posted:

As for the players, I find that they're less cliquey and far more helpful. Yeah, you'll get your jerks (particularly online), but I think it comes down to a much smaller playerbase. If you drive players from playing in your area because of toxicity, then that's 1 less player to play with. With already such a niche game that makes it difficult to find games, the players keep their toxicity down to make sure that players come back.

Agreed that NR players are more helpful, if only out of desperation to get more players into the game.

I would absolutely recommend netdecking, NetRunner isn't magic and the game isn't won or lost in deckbuilding, but on the board state. Magic has a lot of simple board states (their blocker is tapped, so send the team, etc). While those board states exist in NR, it's only for a turn or two at the beginning; basically after the opening pokes, NR is purely about finding your outs, establishing your lines of play and balancing getting set up with advancing your win state.

To this end, I recommend netdecking because it lets you see how this is done in a competitive environment. I'd avoid any complex combo decks like CI7 or Dyper Kate, but the raw power of a bog-standard CtM or HB Fast Advance vs a Temujin Whizz or Rebirth Andy can show off a lot of what the game does well without being incomprehensible, and the more you play these tier decks, the more you'll see how it's knowing your outs and your lines that win or lose vs just getting the draws/matchups like in Magic.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013

berenzen posted:

Welcome to Netrunner! That looks like a lot of unopened boxes, so that's gonna be fun- read the box inserts for some fun flavour text. At the moment you are missing about 10 data packs, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks much. It is indeed a lot of unopened packs, santa was good to me this year.

berenzen posted:

Personally, I sort them into binders, and I find that it's the easiest way to sort everything out. I do it by faction then release order, but there are a variety of ways that make it easy for you. In general binders are easier, but I have seen people use the big white mass card boxes.

I pray i'm done with mass card boxes after getting out of magic. Binder's sound manageable. I read somewhere about sets rotating out, should i just put those sets in their own binder at this point and forget they exist?

berenzen posted:

Agreed that NR players are more helpful, if only out of desperation to get more players into the game.

Mixed feelings about this one I guess. Depends on the desperation to friendly ratio I reckon.

I would absolutely recommend netdecking, NetRunner isn't magic and the game isn't won or lost in deckbuilding, but on the board state. Magic has a lot of simple board states (their blocker is tapped, so send the team, etc). While those board states exist in NR, it's only for a turn or two at the beginning; basically after the opening pokes, NR is purely about finding your outs, establishing your lines of play and balancing getting set up with advancing your win state.

To this end, I recommend netdecking because it lets you see how this is done in a competitive environment. I'd avoid any complex combo decks like CI7 or Dyper Kate, but the raw power of a bog-standard CtM or HB Fast Advance vs a Temujin Whizz or Rebirth Andy can show off a lot of what the game does well without being incomprehensible, and the more you play these tier decks, the more you'll see how it's knowing your outs and your lines that win or lose vs just getting the draws/matchups like in Magic.

This makes a lot of sense. Another friend also has about the same amount of cards and seems eager to play so here's hoping we can get somewhat up to speed quickly.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I'd also say don't neglect Jinteki.net as a resource. Once you've got a decent feeling for how the game plays mechanically its a great way to practise against a variety of decks (in the casual room) or whatever's seen as competitive in the current meta (the competitive room). Even just hanging around spectating games can be useful (I often do this at work when I can't actually play but can leave it open on my second monitor).

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

dblankenship81 posted:

I pray i'm done with mass card boxes after getting out of magic. Binder's sound manageable. I read somewhere about sets rotating out, should i just put those sets in their own binder at this point and forget they exist?

The first 12 data packs will rotate probably in July next year assuming that they have no breaks in the data packs between months, so they're still absolutely valid cards and there are some really strong cards in those packs that are exceptionally impactful on the metagame, so don't go and shelve them. That being said, the reason why I have them sorted by faction/release order is specifically so I can take the cards that are no longer in rotation and divide them away from all the competitively relevant cards when rotation happens. So don't go forgetting they exist, because they are still important and valid cards but I personally just make sure they're separate enough so when rotation happens, it's not a pain in the rear end to reorganize.

The 12 data packs that are cycling are:

What Lies Ahead
Trace Amount
Cyber Exodus
A Study in Static
Humanity's Shadow
Future Proof
Opening Moves
Second Thoughts
Mala Tempora
True Colors
Fear and Loathing
Double Time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone honestly believe people won't just keep Playing "legacy" netrunner after rotation and continue using Black LotusJackson Howard in almost all settings?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Does anyone honestly believe people won't just keep Playing "legacy" netrunner after rotation and continue using Black LotusJackson Howard in almost all settings?

People probably will in whatever format they please, just that when it comes to official tournaments they gonna have to switch.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah. One of my friends is avoiding buying the first two cycles because of rotation even though 99.9% of the games we play are super casual and no one cares about rotation and barely care about mwl

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Machai posted:

Yeah. One of my friends is avoiding buying the first two cycles because of rotation even though 99.9% of the games we play are super casual and no one cares about rotation and barely care about mwl

Rotation isn't happening until Spring at the earliest. Even for a die-hard tournament player there's still plenty of time left until rotation happens, and depriving yourself of two full cycles worth of cards is going to be rather detrimental.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

People will by and large play whatever there is tournament support for, so unless there is a sudden surge in ANRPC tournaments with wacky non-ffg rules, I don't think there's any sort of incentive to play with Jackson after red sand drops. No one builds decks that ignore the MWL for the same reason.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah people say the same thing every time a new Warhammer edition drops where they'll just play old stuff and then it doesn't really happen. If you have a few friends that you play with predominantly that's one thing but in general people are going to only play current releases.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Well there's nothing to stop people playing non-MWL compliant decks now, but in my experience at least most people don't.

edit: also I think losing the 3/2s is going to be a bigger change than losing Jackson (pbuh). At least we have some quasi Jackson replacements already printed. The 3/2s turn on Never Advance and Fast Advance as strategies and when they're gone those strategies will either go as well or be drastically weakened. NBN and Jinteki will have a limit-1 3/2 each, HB will have ABT, and Weyland will have nothing (as usual). Maybe they'll print a new batch in the cycle after Red Sands, I dunno.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 7, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a Difference between respecting the MWL/Restricted list in magic and essentially creating type 2 when there isn't a scarcity of the good cards/utterly broken nonsense to justify it

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/7/earths-scion/

Oh look, Anarchs get their very own Creeper to continue their trend of absolute horseshit killers.

On the other hand, Weyland gets a hyper Trick of Light that might just make advanceable ICE playable!

edit: at least Persephone has a vaguely useful side-effect, unlike Creeper. Its install cost and cost to break subroutines is still pretty steep, though.

Yithian fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 7, 2016

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Yithian posted:

Oh look, Anarchs get their very own Creeper to continue their trend of absolute horseshit killers.

On the other hand, Weyland gets a hyper Trick of Light that might just make advanceable ICE playable!

edit: at least Persephone has a vaguely useful side-effect, unlike Creeper. Its install cost and cost to break subroutines is still pretty steep, though.

So many ways incoming to fast-advance out your Government Takeover, but I suppose it's easier to do that with the smaller government on Mars. Still, I can't wait for the "Click 1 Biotic, click 2 install card, clicks 3-5 VOLTRON ASSEMBLE THE TAKEOVER"

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

WFGuy posted:

So many ways incoming to fast-advance out your Government Takeover, but I suppose it's easier to do that with the smaller government on Mars. Still, I can't wait for the "Click 1 Biotic, click 2 install card, clicks 3-5 VOLTRON ASSEMBLE THE TAKEOVER"

I mean, I'm not not going to try it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wow Adjusted Matrix rules, as does Inversificator.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

WFGuy posted:

Don't you see? We ran your rustpot colony the whole time. The drones building the dome extension? GRNDL assemblers. The security at the atmosphere plant? Argus contractors. The server racks for the monitoring software? The ACTUAL RACKS --Weyland. It's hardly even a takeover. If we weren't here, you'd be naked, suffocating in the sand.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yithian posted:

And at only twice the MU as well!

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

And at only twice the MU as well!

Ugh, I missed the 2MU. Yeah, that definitely falls into the "horseshit" category. I know killers are supposed to be inefficient but I'm not sure I want to use one that actively encourages me to eat sentry subroutines.

Also Persephone (along with, well, most every killer in the game) is probably infinitely more MU than Creeper, since it's probably taking up 0MU while it's in the ~*~cloud~*~

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dumb question: If Baba Yaga is hosted on Leprechaun, and other icebreakers are hosted on Baba Yaga, is everything free? (MU-wise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

CirclMastr posted:

Dumb question: If Baba Yaga is hosted on Leprechaun, and other icebreakers are hosted on Baba Yaga, is everything free? (MU-wise)

No--Leprechaun only applies to cards hosted on it, not on cards hosted on cards hosted on it.

• Locked thread