Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

He was against the name, for obvious reasons. It's an adversarial term that was vilified long ago. Find a way to reform the word and he would have no issues.

It's both. Because they intersect. And there is no line in the sand demanding one or the other.

Sanders said: "No, I don’t think so. First of all, its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil. Second of all, I think it would be very divisive. The real issue is when we look at the poverty rate among the African American community, when we look at the high unemployment rate within the African American community, we have a lot of work to do.

So I think what we should be talking about is making massive investments in rebuilding our cities, in creating millions of decent paying jobs, in making public colleges and universities tuition-free, basically targeting our federal resources to the areas where it is needed the most and where it is needed the most is in impoverished communities, often African American and Latino."

Sanders here is explicitly against actual reparations. Also, how many times has Sanders voiced support for John Conyers' H.R. 40: Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act? Should John Conyers stop proposing the same bill every year because "it won't pass?"

But here's the deal, how does creating jobs and making college tuition free help eliminate discriminatory hiring practices, help victims of mass-incarceration be able to live their lives?

I question the notion of the descendants of slavery living in poverty as being a class thing, given that the line in the sand was drawn that people were slaves in this country based on race. White indentured servants were not slaves. White poverty is of an entirely different character than black poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grognan posted:

There seems to be a lot to unpack in this statement about what you think he's saying, and the fact that even if he did say that specifically that he isn't wrong?

loving people with bats is not an improvement on anything unless you just want to hurt an acceptable target that's been designated a bad person to you. Which to be fair, is a pretty human position to take, in high school.

Considering the Klan is a terrorist organization, yeah I think the solution is send them to prison when they commit a crime, and make sure they are economically and politically disenfranchised when they get out-- assuming they should even be let out. There's no reason I should be standing up for someone who is going to screw me over the second they have a chance. It's why I don't support the ACLU, but do support the SPLC and Planned Parenthood.

I also didn't literally mean loving the Klansmen with a bat. But I do think that terrorism should be dramatically more severely punished than some kid who gets busted with a crackpipe. Maybe I was misread what was being said, but it sounded to me like Neuroliminal was looking for better treatment for someone who committed a worse crime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bag em and tag em posted:

Sure, but when Conservatives are accused on being Nazis because white supremacists start spouting support for their candidates, they get on TV, they say "I disavow the neo-nazi guys over there," and then they move on. Visibly denouncing the fringe is important AND we as liberals demand and expect conservatives to do that. Sure we'll turn around and say it wasn't enough, and turn it into part of the political game but whatever.

I get that we should HAVE to do that, again, I understand and agree with what you're saying. But if you're trying to reach someone who only kind of agrees with you and kind of agrees with the other side too, you're playing an entirely different game and political theater matters.

The denunciations don't matter, because the real problem is the fact that they're broadcasting dogwhistles, messages, and policies that appeal to white supremacists in the first place. The call to denounce the neo-Nazis isn't real, it's just a convenient way to call attention to the neo-Nazi endorsement without openly hurling accusations of racism. Even if they do denounce, no one buys it - after all, the messaging that attracted the neo-Nazis in the first place doesn't change, and white supremacists aren't put off by the denunciation since they're well aware that they're politically toxic and that many figures who privately agree with them feel obligated to denounce them in public.

The same goes for other policies. When someone calls on the fiscal left to denounce Maoist Third-Worldists, what they're really saying is "look, the fiscal left holds such awful policies that they attract the support of deplorable extremists like those; let's see if they're even willing to pretend otherwise". Same goes for the "social left", too - when someone calls on civil rights advocates to denounce people who post "kill all white people" on Facebook, they're really just implying that anti-racism advocates are secretly laying the foundation for white genocide. No one who insists that a movement denounce some fringe group intends to actually believe the denunciation - either it'll be declared not good enough, or it'll be regarded as a thinly disguised token move that no one believes.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
LOL stone cold thinks lynchings are more prominent than before

Lololol you idpol dumbass, the deplorable legal murder spree is at an all time low, our country just sucks-- cops shooting black people has always been treated as Cool and Good, it's just now that we report on it.

But like yes please tell me more about how 2016 cops are even more bad than 1916 cops

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see how that's relevant, unless you're denying that sundown towns have ever existed.
You made the claim, now back it up.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Being a black male is illegal in the United States. "Extrajudicial" killings of African Americans is part of this policy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

You made the claim, now back it up.

Wait, what? Are you seriously taking issue with the assertion that sundown towns ever existed? Is that really the hill you want to die on?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait, what? Are you seriously taking issue with the assertion that sundown towns ever existed? Is that really the hill you want to die on?

He's taking umbrance with your original statement, that they are still a threat.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

rkajdi posted:

Bullshit. Both create inconsistency. A law unequally applied cannot be just by definition. The real solution is to get the unqualified chud morons out of there and have professionals do the job instead. I know this goes against the anti-intellectual movement of the day, but qualified people make better decisions than morons who don't know the subject. We see it in science and academia (or at least understand that the idiots are to be derided and ignored) so why the hell can't we see it in politics and law? If you want a change later, you can institute it from the top down and just displace the uncooperative people from the system in one fell swoop. You can't do that with juries, and will continue to gently caress minorities over far more than it will help.

Also, how does nullification stop stand your ground (or any unjust law) consistently? If you're not doing it 10 times out of 10, all you're doing is still screwing over people while reducing the incentive to actually fix the problem. You fix law problem with judicial decisions and legislative change, not lawless bullshit where some idiot who probably doesn't understand all the law being dealt with decides he doesn't agree with the written law. Our ancestors (or I guess those of us who are Europeans) fought and died to have laws written down. But unless everything is objectively handled, you might as well not even have bothered, since some working class hero can come behind and gently caress it all up based on nothing but his uneducated opinions.

It's much harder to repeal laws than add new laws, we literally live in a country that has 50-state gay marriage yet where it's politically difficult to repeal unconstitutional laws criminalizing gay sex. People fighting for gay rights reform for example often had basically no recourse in the legislature and had to turn to the courts and things like jury nullification. The general populace became wary of the practice of jailing people for being gay before the cops and the courts did, while state legislatures are still not willing in some states. Just off the top of my head I know that nullification was used to stop raids on the Fire Island Pines in the late 60s for example. The notion that they should have gone to the legislature at the time and lobbied for them to repeal the sodomy law is just laughable.

This is important with drug law reform as well since the "qualified people" still love the idea of ruining people's lives over weed while the "unqualified chud morons" not so much.

EDIT: Also when you live in a country with an incredibly serious over-incarceration and over-criminalization issues I think policies that make it harder to prosecute things are generally good. Especially when the legislature is really, really reluctant to ever seriously address the issue.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

This reads like you're saying they still exist.

If you mean that where are they. There did use to be alot of of sundown towns but are there any more?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stone cold posted:

Sanders said: "No, I don’t think so. First of all, its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil. Second of all, I think it would be very divisive. The real issue is when we look at the poverty rate among the African American community, when we look at the high unemployment rate within the African American community, we have a lot of work to do.

So I think what we should be talking about is making massive investments in rebuilding our cities, in creating millions of decent paying jobs, in making public colleges and universities tuition-free, basically targeting our federal resources to the areas where it is needed the most and where it is needed the most is in impoverished communities, often African American and Latino."

Sanders here is explicitly against actual reparations. Also, how many times has Sanders voiced support for John Conyers' H.R. 40: Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act? Should John Conyers stop proposing the same bill every year because "it won't pass?"

But here's the deal, how does creating jobs and making college tuition free help eliminate discriminatory hiring practices, help victims of mass-incarceration be able to live their lives?

I question the notion of the descendants of slavery living in poverty as being a class thing, given that the line in the sand was drawn that people were slaves in this country based on race. White indentured servants were not slaves. White poverty is of an entirely different character than black poverty.

So you are refuting my post that he has issue with the name by....posting a quote where he finds it "divisive" and goes on to basically advocate everything in TNC's concept of reparations, outright saying "we need more programs and money in downtrodden towns, many of which are minority towns". And this was before he hired a BLM activist to help draft his social justice plank.

This goes back to my statement a page back, that certain segments seem to make enemies of anyone and everyone that doesn't 100% agree with them in every way and every word.

rkajdi posted:

Considering the Klan is a terrorist organization, yeah I think the solution is send them to prison when they commit a crime, and make sure they are economically and politically disenfranchised when they get out-- assuming they should even be let out. There's no reason I should be standing up for someone who is going to screw me over the second they have a chance. It's why I don't support the ACLU, but do support the SPLC and Planned Parenthood.

I also didn't literally mean loving the Klansmen with a bat. But I do think that terrorism should be dramatically more severely punished than some kid who gets busted with a crackpipe. Maybe I was misread what was being said, but it sounded to me like Neuroliminal was looking for better treatment for someone who committed a worse crime.

Actually, torture is bad, unrehabilitative prisons are bad, and revenge justice is bad.

Remember when there were posters critical of my judgement that this attitude would result in social leftists that are OK with capital punishment?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

He's taking umbrance with your original statement, that they are still a threat.

That's not a statement I made, though. Someone asked how one could possibly define white people, and I suggested the sundown town standard as a good easy guideline to go by.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

So you are refuting my post that he has issue with the name by....posting a quote where he finds it "divisive" and goes on to basically advocate everything in TNC's concept of reparations, outright saying "we need more programs and money in downtrodden towns, many of which are minority towns". And this was before he hired a BLM activist to help draft his social justice plank.

This goes back to my statement a page back, that certain segments seem to make enemies of anyone and everyone that doesn't 100% agree with them in every way and every word.

Actually, torture is bad, unrehabilitative prisons are bad, and revenge justice is bad.

Remember when there were posters critical of my judgement that this attitude would result in social leftists that are OK with capital punishment?

TNC explicitly calls for the creation of a commission to study reparations and the impact of slavery on the AfAm community, Sanders does not. Hence the citation of Conyers, but please keep on this angle.

Also, yeah someone disagreed with you about punishment on hate crimes, so they must support capital punishment! Cool your persecution complex.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

I still think "human rights, but only for the people I like" isn't going to be a popular opinion in social justice circles, but I guess I gotta give it to you that it only took that long to snag people with it here.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

Cool your persecution complex.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

You should maybe go gently caress off, since you literally don't think that cops get off for murdering POC all the goddamn time. That's not a persecution complex, that's the goddamn reality in America right now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

You should maybe go gently caress off, since you literally don't think that cops get off for murdering POC all the goddamn time. That's not a persecution complex, that's the goddamn reality in America right now.

I actually did, its just that I think we shouldn't get the pitchforks out over Slager yet until the second trial happens. Look I know you think because I don't agree with you 100% I must be a nazi or something.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"You're either with us or you're against us" is an extremely productive mentality, especially when you're in the minority.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

stone cold posted:

He never said this, I just checked.

Perhaps the ironcat was warranted?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The same goes for other policies. When someone calls on the fiscal left to denounce Maoist Third-Worldists, what they're really saying is "look, the fiscal left holds such awful policies that they attract the support of deplorable extremists like those; let's see if they're even willing to pretend otherwise". Same goes for the "social left", too - when someone calls on civil rights advocates to denounce people who post "kill all white people" on Facebook, they're really just implying that anti-racism advocates are secretly laying the foundation for white genocide. No one who insists that a movement denounce some fringe group intends to actually believe the denunciation - either it'll be declared not good enough, or it'll be regarded as a thinly disguised token move that no one believes.

Okay but a huge point of idpol is "words matter." We have to watch what we say and be careful not to say things that are offensive and if anyone says something that even possibly maybe slightly a little bit could be offensive it's a week long scandal with public apologies and hand wringing. When fringe leftists then turn around and say stuff like "kill whitey" and suddenly we're all supposed to go "oh well I'm not going to address that because it would distract from the message" that's when people leaning towards the center tune idpol out and start to feel hostile to it because on the surface that feels like a huge hypocrisy and to someone who isn't already in agreement with the Left it's a huge turn off to listening to liberal messaging.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Look the police in this country are bad, but they are not all looking to gun down any non white at a moments notice. They are a bad organization but they are not the KKK. Also the terrorist who attacked the Iman is in custody.

Crowsbeak posted:

1. Yes that is an issue that requires people be activie in their communities and put pressure on police departments to act.
2. Generally when someone murders two people in broad daylight they get convicted.

Crowsbeak posted:

I actually did, its just that I think we shouldn't get the pitchforks out over Slager yet until the second trial happens. Look I know you think because I don't agree with you 100% I must be a nazi or something.

Posting where you downplay police murders of POC, or that you think it is incumbent on minorities to fix police departments is what makes you a racist, not disagreeing with me. Try being less fragile.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

"You're either with us or you're against us" is an extremely productive mentality, especially when you're in the minority.

I think you might have thought of this as a sick own when it is the daily reality and something already understood.

Like what do you call somebody who is not allying with you, if not an passive accomplice to your misery at best when we are talking about the struggle to be recognized as human and deserving of compassion.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Main Paineframe posted:

Many, many people on here have expressed to me the opinion that as long as it's "punching up" it's acceptable. I agree that the "you must denounce these people nominally associated with you ideologically" is dumb poo poo but you ought to not explicitly condone their actions.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

Can you cite actual case law?

E: what I mean to say is I'd be interested in reading about the cases where jury nullification wasn't used to acquit POC murderers

How about before we all agree to ditch a process that operates like a safety valve against legalistic tyranny, you an the other posters that share your views show us the case law or evidence demonstrating the % of cases that negatively impact minorities in the justice system?

To my knowledge recently a lot of those nullifications have been communal rejection of prohibition and more recently of drug charges.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

rkajdi posted:

Agreed. I have a lot less respect for civil liberties as they are defined, since they often are stilted so that the neutral position is incredibly regressive by default. And again, I don't see why entrusting anything to the hoi polloi without a democratic check seems like a good idea after we just saw how that resulted.

A jury is the democratic check you fuckwit.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Reparations becomes insanity when you start to look outside the US and realize that the world is filled with countries that have spent the last two hundred years oppressing, terrorizing and killing their minorities. The black American experience is not a unique one, and if they have a right to have the historical and ongoing injustices perpetrated against them righted through cash payment by the ethnic groups that oppressed them then so does every other minority that's spend the last few centuries being brutalized. The problem is that a world where you actually try to enforce that right is a world being drowned in rivers of blood, repaying injustice with injustice and perpetuating a new round of ethnic conflict even more violent than the last. Historical injustice in a broad sense can never be righted. We can only correct ongoing injustice through the conventional ways: self-determination, equality under national and international law, and strict respect for all people's human rights.

Of course, there's people who want to do the latter and call it reparations. This seems really stupid to me. It's not reparations because it doesn't pay for or correct historical injustice in any sense. It needlessly racializes what's not actually a racial issue so that the supporters of reparations can feel that warm reparations feeling in their hearts, while simultaneously making those programs much harder, if not impossible to achieve. You might be able to convince Americans to enact socialism, but if it's framed as the 88% of Americans who aren't black paying the 12% who are reparations then you're almost certain to lose.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

stone cold posted:

Can you cite actual case law?

E: what I mean to say is I'd be interested in reading about the cases where jury nullification wasn't used to acquit POC murderers

It was critically important for the LGBT rights movement as I mentioned before.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Reparations becomes insanity when you start to look outside the US and realize that the world is filled with countries that have spent the last two hundred years oppressing, terrorizing and killing their minorities. The black American experience is not a unique one, and if they have a right to have the historical and ongoing injustices perpetrated against them righted through cash payment by the ethnic groups that oppressed them then so does every other minority that's spend the last few centuries being brutalized. The problem is that a world where you actually try to enforce that right is a world being drowned in rivers of blood, repaying injustice with injustice and perpetuating a new round of ethnic conflict even more violent than the last. Historical injustice in a broad sense can never be righted. We can only correct ongoing injustice through the conventional ways: self-determination, equality under national and international law, and strict respect for all people's human rights.

Of course, there's people who want to do the latter and call it reparations. This seems really stupid to me. It's not reparations because it doesn't pay for or correct historical injustice in any sense. It needlessly racializes what's not actually a racial issue so that the supporters of reparations can feel that warm reparations feeling in their hearts, while simultaneously making those programs much harder, if not impossible to achieve. You might be able to convince Americans to enact socialism, but if it's framed as the 88% of Americans who aren't black paying the 12% who are reparations then you're almost certain to lose.

Reparations are never going to happen but also neither will federal level economic redevelopment of black communities and schooling. It's moot either way but I will always support people trying to alleviate the situation with the small power they can muster.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurolimal posted:

I shockingly don't support torturing people or revenge. But you aren't going to rehab terrorists-- and don't think for a second the Klan is anything more than ISIS with less melanin. You put them behind bars to protect decent people from them, same as you do with other violent criminals like murderers and rapists. I'd love it if there was a solution to fix them, but I don't think it's possible.

I'm also not opposed to capital punishment, and I don't see it as an odd position for a leftist. We shouldn't be using it for common murder or the like, but there are people who have committed such awful crimes that they shouldn't be breathing the same air as the rest of us-- I'm talking war crimes or crimes against humanity here. I do fully support the ending of the death penalty as we have it currently set up, since it's immediately obvious that it isn't evenly sought or made sure that guilt is assured in the cases it's sought.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bag em and tag em posted:

Okay but a huge point of idpol is "words matter." We have to watch what we say and be careful not to say things that are offensive and if anyone says something that even possibly maybe slightly a little bit could be offensive it's a week long scandal with public apologies and hand wringing. When fringe leftists then turn around and say stuff like "kill whitey" and suddenly we're all supposed to go "oh well I'm not going to address that because it would distract from the message" that's when people leaning towards the center tune idpol out and start to feel hostile to it because on the surface that feels like a huge hypocrisy and to someone who isn't already in agreement with the Left it's a huge turn off to listening to liberal messaging.

Maybe that argument would have more credibility if it didn't invariably seem to come from people who think "don't be a racist jerk" means "if anyone says something that even possibly maybe slightly a little bit could be offensive it's a week long scandal with public apologies and hand wringing". It never seems to come from people who genuinely express concern about oppression and discrimination - it's always a witty take-down of the diabolical anti-racist agenda.

Do I condone the literal mass-murder of white people? Of course not. But sarcastic "kill whitey" Facebook posts are not nearly as bad as leaving a noose in a black kid's desk at school, and anyone who insists on creating a false equivalence between the two is pretty obviously not arguing in good faith.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sethex posted:

How about before we all agree to ditch a process that operates like a safety valve against legalistic tyranny, you an the other posters that share your views show us the case law or evidence demonstrating the % of cases that negatively impact minorities in the justice system?

To my knowledge recently a lot of those nullifications have been communal rejection of prohibition and more recently of drug charges.

Here's three off the top of my head: the murderers of Medgar Evers, Emmett Till, and Trayvon Martin.

Ultimately, we have more of a voir dire problem than anything else, but the notion that nullification has not been used to let white murderers of POC get off is flawed at best.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Reparations are never going to happen but also neither will federal level economic redevelopment of black communities and schooling. It's moot either way but I will always support people trying to alleviate the situation with the small power they can muster.

I don't agree at all. If I thought any sort of positive change was impossible I wouldn't waste my time being a leftist. I do think positive change is possible though, which is why I don't support programs that make such change harder on the grounds of sanctimonious and wrong-headed moralism.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

Posting where you downplay police murders of POC, or that you think it is incumbent on minorities to fix police departments is what makes you a racist, not disagreeing with me. Try being less fragile.

Oh wow I don't think the police are entirely the KKK, and I think more pressure is needed to get them to change. I am a real nazi.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The tone and frothing passions going on around the rhetoric with opponents to jury nullification is a pretty good first hand example what is wrong with the left and identity politics.

Or at least that is my position until you demonstrate that jury nullification is a statistically significant problem.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

zimmerman trial was not a case of jury nullification

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I also think it's incorrect to view what Conyers, Coates, etc. are doing as "trying to alleviate the situation with the small power they can muster". It's actually grandstanding for a project they know will never work, especially in Conyers' case. Maybe Coates actually believes his own propaganda but Conyers knows full well it's never going to happen based on the past 10,000 time his proposals failed to make it out of committee.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Johnnie5 posted:

A jury is the democratic check you fuckwit.

No they aren't. It's only 12 people, and the lawyers immediately select out people who feel strongly about the issue or are similar to either side. It's the shittiest form of democracy, where anyone with an actual dog in the fight (or at least the ones who don't lie) or a level of education on the issue is selected out. Qualified professionals elected would do a better job by a long site.

I think the difference is I have zero faith in the average American to do anything other than gently caress things up when left to their own devices. So you don't give them the power where a single unpredictable person gets that much control over the government. We do this all the time with checks and balances in the government, so I don't understand why giving that much control to a rando with no checks is a good idea.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

the trump tutelage posted:

Why are identity politics bad?

"Maybe you should gently caress off" is why.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Do I condone the literal mass-murder of white people? Of course not. But sarcastic "kill whitey" Facebook posts are not nearly as bad as leaving a noose in a black kid's desk at school, and anyone who insists on creating a false equivalence between the two is pretty obviously not arguing in good faith.

I am not asserting an equivalence AT ALL between those examples, but please please please do not with a straight face try to claim we haven't had dozens and dozens of liberal thinkpieces written about what end up amounting to offhand social media sarcasm thrown onto twitter by a white person.

The thing is that very very few people are actually advocating that it's okay to draw swastikas or burn a cross. When those things happen they are typically denounced and derided as hateful acts that have no place in society by both sides. Obviously, there are people doing those things, so obviously racism IS a factor that must be fought. But there are still plenty of examples like my original where liberals complained they felt UNSAFE because a presidential candidate's name was written in chalk on a college campus and there are typically very serious discussions about how we all need to respect those fears and we need some kind of policy to make sure that kids are protected from the name D***** T****.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't agree at all. If I thought any sort of positive change was impossible I wouldn't waste my time being a leftist. I do think positive change is possible though, which is why I don't support programs that make such change harder on the grounds of sanctimonious and wrong-headed moralism.

I think cultural resistance to policies that would enact the change needed to actually begin to unscrew the darn near hundreds of years of racism systematic and otherwise is untenable currently and in the near future. People still keeping it up on the forefront have my admiration and sympathy but the opposition has done their best to create a deep divide that is probably more insurmountable than it might seem, at least speaking nationally.

We're the baddies and you even see people who would elsewhere claim left leaning tendencies arguing we should keep down and out of sight. You can fight your whole life to change a small amount of hearts and minds around you and that will not be enough to overcome the screaming gulf that exists.

• Locked thread