Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

also he canceled fez 2 because people laughed at him

That and the people who actually made most of Fez quit before release because of how insufferable he was. That's why the game was delayed for years and why he needed that big important legal agreement signed in Indie Game: The Movie before he could actually release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

wizard on a water slide posted:

it's, and I can only think of one way to correct this behavior *makes threatening phone calls to his family*

To be fair to the people that sent a fellow human being death threats, it did work :downs:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It kind of bugs me when people kind of dismiss endless horrible Twitter harassment as "people laughing at him". I guess in general I'm just sort of annoyed that sort of thing has become normalized and seems to portrayed the victims fault. I still think this is a pretty good video on the whole Phil Fish thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It kind of bugs me when people kind of dismiss endless horrible Twitter harassment as "people laughing at him". I guess in general I'm just sort of annoyed that sort of thing has become normalized and seems to become the victims fault. I still think this is a pretty good video on the whole Phil Fish thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

A lot of people genuinely don't seem to connect internet presence to real life. It's becoming less common as people who grew up with the internet become the older generations and the existing older generations begin to adopt facebook and the like but it's still hard for people to get that the internet is a real place with real people and getting harassed and threatened on social media isn't meaningfully different from getting harassed via phone.

Like yeah, people will post that "just turn it off and walk away" thing but you really can't do that in this day and age without cutting yourself off from people and even then you're still a target. (and that's ignoring the crazy internet people who don't leave it on the internet.)

Edit: I also think people downplay death threats because "well, everyone gets them" and ignore that actually getting death threats is pretty awful even if you know they're probably some tough 12 year old with poor impulse control.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leroy Dennui posted:

:drugnerd:

(from the MUSHA manual)

How is this jaggedy and blurry at the same time?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nobody really deserves to be harassed, and Phil Fish was a shithead before people started loving with him en masse and he remained a shithead after so nobody accomplished anything and it was all a big waste of time :sax:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

How is this jaggedy and blurry at the same time?

lovely jpg of a lovely scan/photo of the original?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onG3QfqBTHY

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

haveblue posted:

lovely jpg of a lovely scan/photo of the original?

It's a .png, but yeah, I took that from the .pdf in the most ghetto way possible. The text is legible, which is most important when you're showing off an unfortunate typo in a manual.

(on closer examination the scan is pretty poor quality to begin with)

corn in the bible posted:

but who was the salutatorian of AIR AND SPACE UNIVERSITY

Probably this girl:

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 8, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is just a friendly reminder that there are currently more people playing decades-old C&C games than there are playing Battleborn, released in TYOOL 2016.

:allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it'll do ok after it inevitably goes free to play

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Worked for Evolve.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWl2Zgd0Qpk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looper posted:

I don't know anything about its actual quality but it was released with bad timing by a company some people have held grudges against for years, so the gloating will never stop.

Phantasium posted:

Worked for Evolve.

Didn't, actually, Evolve is dead in the water now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

Didn't, actually, Evolve is dead in the water now.

:thejoke:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Looper posted:

It came out at roughly the same time as Overwatch but was worse.

This lead to it getting utterly crushed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I don't know anything about its actual quality but it was released with bad timing by a company some people have held grudges against for years, so the gloating will never stop.

Lol, I've only grown antipathetic towards Gearbox recently but I played the beta for BB and it loving sucked, bro.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Looper posted:

Fps moba released at almost the same time as Overwatch.(in a smart move Blizzard did a free weekend when bb released)
Fps fans discovered the shooting to be not very good.
Moba fans discovered that the abilities were not balanced.
Everyone discovered that the match is decided in 10 minutes, but lasts 30-40.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm playing the opening of Phantom Pain, please send supplies so I can survive this month-long trek.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing the opening of Phantom Pain, please send supplies so I can survive this month-long trek.

Good luck, please keep us updated, as there's some pretty hilarious things that can happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looper posted:

Its basically a shittier Overwatch that came out right when Overwatch did and was by Gearbox instead of Blizzard, so it was ultra hosed from the get-go.

Its not as polished as Overwatch, it tries to do a lot of different things because they realized directly competing with overwatch would screw them, but then it doesn't do those various things very well.

Its also got extremely garish UI design, some of the abilities that you end up using could probably give an epileptic massive seizures, its actively painful to watch people play the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its basically a shittier Overwatch that came out right when Overwatch did and was by Gearbox instead of Blizzard, so it was ultra hosed from the get-go.

Its not as polished as Overwatch, it tries to do a lot of different things because they realized directly competing with overwatch would screw them, but then it doesn't do those various things very well.

Its also got extremely garish UI design, some of the abilities that you end up using could probably give an epileptic massive seizures, its actively painful to watch people play the game.

its nothing like overwatch, at all, at a base level

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stux posted:

while correct, this doesn't actually matter

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stux posted:

Its a team character-based FPSRPG, its absolutely competing with Overwatch.

The actual gameplay and objectives are closer to DOTA depending upon which game mode you're playing but its a first person team character-class shooter.

I guess that could be yet another reason for its failure though; MOBAs have become extremely over-saturated.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a team character-based FPSRPG, its absolutely competing with Overwatch.

The actual gameplay and objectives are closer to DOTA depending upon which game mode you're playing but its a first person team character-class shooter.

its team fortress 2 vs a first person MOBA. theyre really completely different games entirely.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
things they have in common: first person, there are characters

things that are different: everything else about the games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Gearbox themselves marketed it as being a direct competitor to Overwatch, so I think that's where people get that idea. They also are both team based FPSs that are character centric and that's close enough for some people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the reason battleborn failed, mainly, is because its just a really bad game from a lovely company

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

Darkest Dungeon comes immediately to mind insofar as you purchase upgrades to rebuild the town, though that might be too far in the other direction from your request

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Actraiser or the Dark Cloud games

Also more modern I think Assassin's Creed fits the bill. So might Dragon Quest Builder but that also means harder on building

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair, Gearbox themselves marketed it as being a direct competitor to Overwatch, so I think that's where people get that idea

I think Paragon was in there too for some reason

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Good luck, please keep us updated, as there's some pretty hilarious things that can happen.

Nothing hilarious yet, other than the idea of starting your open world stealth game with such an interminable and restrictive quasi-interactive cutscene.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ciaphas posted:

Darkest Dungeon comes immediately to mind insofar as you purchase upgrades to rebuild the town, though that might be too far in the other direction from your request

No, it's exactly what I mean. I love Darkest Dungeon. Yeah, the base building is kinda shallow, but the sense of progression is still there.

Actraiser or the Dark Cloud games

Also more modern I think Assassin's Creed fits the bill. So might Dragon Quest Builder but that also means harder on building

I've played the gently caress out of Actraiser and Dark Cloud, and Assassin's Creed does indeed fit as well. The list of games I've played regarding this is probably pretty expansive, so I can't even just say what I have played to make things easier for you guys.

DQ Builder is unfortunately for a system I don't own, but I've been eyeing a PS4 Slim for a while now anyway...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gearbox should have just made another borderlands pseudo-expansion thing like the pre-sequel but with one of the playable characters being captain scarlett

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Having played battleborn when it was in beta, its really bizarre and I dont know who they ultimately were targeting. Yeah the PvP stuff was MOBA, but the co-op stuff was like... lovely borderlands? Like the co-op campaign is a regular co-op FPS with bosses and poo poo, but everything feels barren and lifeless. And it had drops of colored rarities but not in the way it made sense in Borderlands.

also the humor was like obnoxious cranked up to 11 which is amazing from the developer that already gave us Tiny Tina the most obnoxious character in all of gaming, but somehow they topped that

also I still don't know what hobby-grade means

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TastyLemonDrops posted:

XCOM?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Yep. Played the hell out of XCOM and XCOM 2. This includes Xenonauts, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

rogue legacy

• Locked thread