Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

its actually a terrible argument because nothing makes fishmech post more than pointing out he's wrong but not technically wrong

I haven't actually read any of his posts but I like to imagine he thinks all the white people in Detroit thought the streets were so illogical that they had to move elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

It's totally not gay that he's putting his dick in other mens' mouths.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I love it when people explain their shirt jokes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

boner confessor posted:

yeah but that's because there's a continuum of cultural and ethnic history in ireland that stretches back from the present day to that point in time

basically every single native american who lived in the eastern half of america was killed or forcibly removed from early america. it's worth talking about government policy towards native americans as well as cultural interactions between native americans and euro settlers/african slaves but the cultural divide is so great that imo it's disrespectful to pretend that there's a historical continuation between pre-colonial america and colonial america

i don't think covering precolonial history necessary lays claim to a historical continuation in the sense that precontact indigenous American history "belongs" to the United Sates of America, that is that it is integral part of the states history - I guess my issue is more that restricting American history to be simply that of the state rather than a broad sweep of the geographic region is fundamentally a lopsided way of dealing with things.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Scott Pruitt is going to be the new head of the EPA

Time to start building flood shelters

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
ESO trip report: Just got hired to eliminate a dangerous heretic by the name of Vox who poisons the minds of others and seeks to overthrow the rightful order. :v:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

I haven't actually read any of his posts but I like to imagine he thinks all the white people in Detroit thought the streets were so illogical that they had to move elsewhere

fishmech posts a lot about street layout and grid shapes and traffic flow and types of trains etc. so i really think he sees cities as a sim city style grand experiment in physically engineered architecture and not as a collection of systems largely revolving around human behavior

i didn't get into his streetcar example but it's also bad, he implied that streetcar coverage correlated with bad design when this is totally ahistorical for a number of reasons but to keep it really brief both streetcars and street plotting at the time was largely left up to the private sector and can in no way be described as "designed" and also the changes he's talking about are completely miniscule anyway in the grand scheme of things unless you study roadmaps like an EE studies printed boards

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

fishmech posts a lot about street layout and grid shapes and traffic flow and types of trains etc. so i really think he sees cities as a sim city style grand experiment in physically engineered architecture and not as a collection of systems largely revolving around human behavior

i didn't get into his streetcar example but it's also bad, he implied that streetcar coverage correlated with bad design when this is totally ahistorical for a number of reasons but to keep it really brief both streetcars and street plotting at the time was largely left up to the private sector and can in no way be described as "designed" and also the changes he's talking about are completely miniscule anyway in the grand scheme of things unless you study roadmaps like an EE studies printed boards

you've got some weird strrawmen to try to defend your position of "bad design can never cause other problems" imo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

i don't think covering precolonial history necessary lays claim to a historical continuation in the sense that precontact indigenous American history "belongs" to the United Sates of America, that is that it is integral part of the states history - I guess my issue is more that restricting American history to be simply that of the state rather than a broad sweep of the geographic region is fundamentally a lopsided way of dealing with things.

the problem is that there's such a big difference between colonial settlement and precolonial periods of history that they dont really cover the same forms of history aside from having happened in the same location. look up any american state on wikipedia and you'll see an obligatory paragraph or two that says like "the first people who lived here were the such and such who settled villages ten thousand years ago and maybe built some mounds and stuff" and then it goes into the rest of the article. that kind of contractually obligated white people weren't the first to live here paragraph is the kind of stuff you get when you try to fold native american history into white settler history

also a lot of really worthwhile native american history isn't developed yet because a lot of it is still being established archeologically. because seriously, nine out of ten natives east of the mississippi were killed by various plagues introduced by europeans - some groups wiped out without having ever seen a european - such that by the time europeans showed up they basically came into indigenous mad max and everything was in turmoil so we really don't know much about these societies except in their interactions with colonists, which makes that a useful start date for a curriculum. like i've been to a couple different archeological sites in my region, etowah village and fort mountain, and we still have inconclusive ideas about who built these places or what they were used for

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

you've got some weird strrawmen to try to defend your position of "bad design can never cause other problems" imo

you are autistic and you don't understand how cities work

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

you are autistic and you don't understand how cities work

that's you, the guy who believes roads are the only thing that exists in design for some reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im sorry i hurt your feelings fishmech. please stop quoting me. you will be wrong forever. thank you

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Randler posted:

From further down the article. America 2016: Rise of the hotdog hotshots. :allears:

Cutting off nose to spite face.jpg

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

im sorry i hurt your feelings fishmech. please stop quoting me. you will be wrong forever. thank you

i mean it's really clear you just didn't read any of the posts so you started an argument against something that didn't exist. i'm just wondering why that is.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
NO NO STOP

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
probably been linked in here already but im gonna just post and not read the last thousand posts anyway

thanks 24 and zero dark thirty you were a credit to the republic https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/05/torture-survey-red-cross-people-on-war-poll

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

boner confessor posted:

the problem is that there's such a big difference between colonial settlement and precolonial periods of history that they dont really cover the same forms of history aside from having happened in the same location. look up any american state on wikipedia and you'll see an obligatory paragraph or two that says like "the first people who lived here were the such and such who settled villages ten thousand years ago and maybe built some mounds and stuff" and then it goes into the rest of the article. that kind of contractually obligated white people weren't the first to live here paragraph is the kind of stuff you get when you try to fold native american history into white settler history

also a lot of really worthwhile native american history isn't developed yet because a lot of it is still being established archeologically. because seriously, nine out of ten natives east of the mississippi were killed by various plagues introduced by europeans - some groups wiped out without having ever seen a european - such that by the time europeans showed up they basically came into indigenous mad max and everything was in turmoil so we really don't know much about these societies except in their interactions with colonists, which makes that a useful start date for a curriculum. like i've been to a couple different archeological sites in my region, etowah village and fort mountain, and we still have inconclusive ideas about who built these places or what they were used for

But I would consider exposure to different forms of history to be integral to broad sweep history especially when dealing with settler colonial states.

I guess part of my resistance to a clean separation is informed by the relatively contemporary debates on certain key topics in African history, namely scholarship about the mfecane and attempts to redress relative historical silence on Khoisan settlement

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
also im curious but i don't want to go back is the pipeline thread still the absolute worst thread since the pipeline was delayed or has it gotten better

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UberJew posted:

also im curious but i don't want to go back is the pipeline thread still the absolute worst thread since the pipeline was delayed or has it gotten better

can it be worse than the left wing media thread

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

can it be worse than the left wing media thread

jarmak was posting and people were agreeing with him so

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The middle east thread is competing to claim the throne in the bottom of the sewer as well

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

kustomkarkommando posted:

Legit leaving out precolonial history in a course on "early" american history is actually the kind of thing that irks me

we have a class dedicated to that its just not this one

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we have a class dedicated to that its just not this one

well fine then!!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
our public school history curriculum did involve some coverage of native american societies before colonial times in their various areas, but it was usually just the time period immediately beforehand, as well as covering the migration of over from asia.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nationalist history is kind of a joke really. we had one class that was straight up history of belgium and it legit did start with some mumbling about caesar, the merovingians, spanish netherlands and so on but 99% was post 1830. that was a first year joke of a course tho and everything else was either time-frame related or like economic/social/ecologic/religious history

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

middle school history was just basically european history from prehistory to modern times tho

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

all history is a joke because history only begins when kim il-sung was miraculously born to save us all through juche

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
all these horrible threads i'll never read

like dust in the wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A_hOda5uc

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/806620424796860418

Is... Is Newt pro-Imperial Japan?
:ohdear:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hi fishmech! thank you for your excellent work as vanya's publicity agent, he's very pleased with your performance

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
and vanya's esteem is very valuable in this uncertain world

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pics of Vanya

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

coward duterte will not melt down I'm guessing or blame Obama

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Huh George Takei is in this Twilight Zone episode

http://www.hulu.com/watch/440852

I recommend this episode for December 7th on the 75th anniversary.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/800890348021149697

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avshalom posted:

hi fishmech! thank you for your excellent work as vanya's publicity agent, he's very pleased with your performance

it's highly important that vanya is seen and appreciated, imo

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Hmm this episode went overboard with the anti-japanese apologia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA-9iIsAcI0

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

merry exmarx posted:

i think he's posting less because his dad is dying of cancer

yeesh, that sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

its a weird day when someone indirectly accuses an elected politician of being involved in a murder and they vigorously deny it by pointing out they where in prison at the time

• Locked thread